News Epic Games Store

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
EGS does massive sale, results in devs raising prices on games. It's like Sweeney and Galyonkin are doing the exact opposite of everything that made me like UE4 as a tool for developers and educators. Guess I'm gonna have to start learning Unity now.
No joke, I've actively switched basically all hobbyist stuff I do over from UE4 to Unity partially because of the distaste anything Epic leaves in my mouth these days. Call it childish, but when I'm just recreationally using an engine I really don't need it to annoy me by association :p

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
The best part is seeing people try and armchair... marketer? publisher? I don't even fucking know and going "no no devs don't understand this sale is good for them they are wrong in thinking about the devaluing thing!"

All I have to say is days that I need to google how to spell schadenfreude are very good and today is such a day.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The best part is seeing people try and armchair... marketer? publisher? I don't even fucking know and going "no no devs don't understand this sale is good for them they are wrong in thinking about the devaluing thing!"

All I have to say is days that I need to google how to spell schadenfreude are very good and today is such a day.
it's funny how all of them are like "we have to protect the developers! why don't you want developers to get more money?" but then when stuff like this happens it's suddenly "those devs don't know shit!"

If the past 24 hours is any indication of how the rest of the sale will go. I’m gonna need a lot of popcorn.
by the end of next week there won't be any games left to sell on egs ;)

Maybe this is meant to be like a battle royale and by June 13 only one game will be crowned victor.

Where are we droppin boys and gals
now THAT is an ARG :p

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Imagine having to completely remove of sale, even if temporarily, a platform version of your game because you were too greedy and had too take a exclusivity deal with a storefront that barely can survive a sale. At least they managed to partner with three (?) third-party stores before this.
what a complete shitshow ...

i'm just happy all of this shows people just how COMPLETELY unprepared epic are for running a store ... and how they're only doing this because they have money and want to control the market

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The saddest thing is that everything that has happened could have been avoided had Epic done its homework and take it slow, instead of trying to eat the world within one year. It is quite appalling, since they have been around for more than 25 years!

So this is either a miscalculation, part of their 4D chess against Steam, or just sheer incompetence.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
everyday there's a new controversy with the epic store. from acquiring psyonix, the hades price increase, to this. i want to bet that this stuff will keep happening until the end of the year, lol.

The saddest thing is that everything that has happened could have been avoided had Epic done its homework and take it slow, instead of trying to eat the world within one year. It is quite appalling, since they have been around for more than 25 years!

So this is either a miscalculation, part of their 4D chess against Steam, or just sheer incompetence.
it's surprising for a company to have one of the biggest games in the industry and widely used engines to mess up this badly. how can they be so incompetent when they have all the money to create a great store?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
everyday there's a new controversy with the epic store. from acquiring psyonix, the hades price increase, to this. i want to bet that this stuff will keep happening until the end of the year, lol.

it's surprising for a company to have one of the biggest games in the industry and widely used engines to mess up this badly. how can they be so incompetent when they have all the money to create a great store?
This is par for the course for epic. Before fortnite got popular UE4 had some fucking ridiculous limitations and that what when it was their main source of income lmao. Money doesn’t automatically give you competent devs I guess.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
This is par for the course for epic. Before fortnite got popular UE4 had some fucking ridiculous limitations and that what when it was their main source of income lmao. Money doesn’t automatically give you competent devs I guess.
Just look at what happened to MS with the Xbox 360 and its RROD. They got greedy trying to kill Sony and if they didnt die was because MS has basically infinite money.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
E3 can’t top this show.
Don't count out technical problems just yet. They've consistently had audio issues and other issues. Maybe Day9 will drop a racist epitaph or promote the abortion bans going through the Southern/Midwest States live on mic? Assuming he, the best part of the previous shows besides the games, is hosting again.

What makes one a good programmer does not equate to good business acumen. Just as Tim Sweeney should hire PR to speak for Epic. He might code a fine engine, but his foot has a quaint little two bedroom bungalow in his mouth

Xiaomi

The Texas Hammer
May 12, 2019
Taiwan
No joke, I've actively switched basically all hobbyist stuff I do over from UE4 to Unity partially because of the distaste anything Epic leaves in my mouth these days. Call it childish, but when I'm just recreationally using an engine I really don't need it to annoy me by association :p
Yeah I do a unit in my grade 11-12 computer class where we make basic game and level in UE4 and the kids really like it, but that's going to change for next year. I'll put in the hours to learn Unity if it means avoiding free advertising for Epic.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Even in the darkest days of the Nintendo eShop, never has an online game store ever been so irredeemably shite.

I guess Epic can win at something.
yo wait, hold up, let's be real here.

The eShop is pretty shit. It doesn't have the dubious business practices around it that the EGS has, but it's easily in the bottom tier of all storefronts I'm forced to use lol.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I've just been noticing an unfortunate way in which the EGS is affecting me.
Usually, i put all games i'm looking forward to (on PC) on my steam wishlists and about once or twice a month i go through the list and move all gams that have, or are about to release within a month at the top of it.

That way, i always stay up to date on when the games i've been looking forward to are released.
This might sound minor, but it actually helps me a great deal planning my playtime.

Knowing when that short walking sim and that lengthy RPG are releasing allows me to maximize what i'm playing,
"That 2 hour game i will play monday after work, that RPG i will start on friday when i have lots of time throughout the weekend!"

Meanwhile, i literally just found by accident that Observation, a game i was looking forward to prior to the exclusive deal, is releasing 3 days from now, which is a rather unusual feeling for me.

€: I also forgot - it's been said in the past already - the EGS itself doesn't tell you about its releasedate either.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
They had to launch their mega sale in time to be able to brag about the games on EGS doing well at the pc gaming show at E3. 😉

Anyway, I really hope Epic keeps f*cking up, and that the game sales on EGS are dropping to an all time low when this mega sale ends.
Meanwhile, i literally just found by accident that Observation, a game i was looking forward to prior to the exclusive deal, is releasing 3 days from now, which is a rather unusual feeling for me.
Adding games involved in Epic's exclusivity deals to my ignore list instead of my wistlist has been a great solution for this. 😉

I have built myself a huge backlog over the past few months, so even if Epic keeps moneyhatting games for another two years, I won't run out of games to play.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
€: I also forgot - it's been said in the past already - the EGS itself doesn't tell you about its releasedate either.
yup, it doesn't ... the store pages are beyond bare bones

They had to launch their mega sale in time to be able to brag about the games on EGS doing well at the pc gaming show at E3. 😉
oh, they'll do it regardless ... you can be 100% sure of it

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
They probably could have avoided this entire rollercoaster with 2 things:

1) apply the discount only on checkout and not directly slash the listing prices (avoids deals being picked up by price trackers and makes it more clear that this isn't a "normal" discount, but something from Epic), which they've done now, but it's probably too late unless the trackers remove it.

2) properly scale both the discount amount and discount requirement to the regions, like Steam did in the Lunar Sale. But that's a much bigger effort.

Like, the basic idea behind the sale is good and sound, it's literally just a more aggressive version of Steam's Lunar sale. But the execution of it is lol.

Also I really appreciate that we have an Epic thread where most of this is discussed without drive-by's and trolls and the Steam thread is mostly actually about games. (y)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Checking out different forums/discussion platforms. A lot of people are using VPN or Proxy to buy stuff from cheaper regions.

Did Epic actually not expect people to VPN/Proxy themself to get cheaper games? People have done it/tried to do it on basically every PC store/client ever.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Checking out different forums/discussion platforms. A lot of people are using VPN or Proxy to buy stuff from cheaper regions.

Did Epic actually not expect people to VPN/Proxy themself to get cheaper games? People have done it/tried to do it on basically every PC store/client ever.
The EpicStore is pretty much consistently disregarding every lesson valve learned throughout the last 15 years.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Thinking about it, Klei took the ball and ran away when the sale started, obviously dissatisfied with how something about it has been handled.
While their game will probably come back to the store once the sale is over, i could imagine this would lower their interest in an eventual exclusive deal for their upcoming games.

Reactions: Dandy and Arsene

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Thinking about it, Klei took the ball and ran away when the sale started, obviously dissatisfied with how something about it has been handled.
While their game will probably come back to the store once the sale is over, i could imagine this would lower their interest in an eventual exclusive deal for their upcoming games.
i'm afraid the deal for Griftlands has already been signed ... well before the sale

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Pretty sure the contract for an upcoming exclusivity deal is already signed, or Klei's games wouldn't be on EGS.

Edit: what Lashman said ☺

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
or Klei's games wouldn't be on EGS.
pretty much this ☝

i imagine a big part of the reason why they didn't want to let Assault Android Cactus in was because they don't have a new game coming out relatively soon they could sign over to papa Tim

(also - it's lashman, not Lashman :p)

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Epic's handling of this mega sale of theirs is unprofessional.
Y'all said what I would've said but from a business stand point, it is pretty unprofessional. Makes Valve delay in starting sales seem like a good move in hindsight.

Reactions: lashman

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
To be honest, as much as I expected this sale to have a lot of glitches like the "flagging the account as suspicious for multiple transactions because we don't have a cart" it did surprise me how much amateurish things appear to be even on the business side. How do you not communicate with the publisher of your biggest exclusive about the details of the sale?

In the end, it just shows that given the oportuniy, Epic has just as much "respect" for publishers/developers as they do for customers.