News Epic Games Store

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
A couple hundred thousand "pre" sales and a bit better margin is all it takes?
I seriously thought they got a cash infusion, plus make money from every single sale, plus take a better cut.

All they get is a bunch of money up front and nearly nothing long term. Long term seems to be very important in the PC market though.

Indy devs are failing the Stanford marshmallow experiment. Crazy.

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
A couple hundred thousand "pre" sales and a bit better margin is all it takes?
I seriously thought they got a cash infusion, plus make money from every single sale, plus take a better cut.

All they get is a bunch of money up front and nearly nothing long term. Long term seems to be very important in the PC market though.

Indy devs are failing the Stanford marshmallow experiment. Crazy.
When it comes to PC games, we don’t change consoles every few years; the software just keeps selling.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
So if your game never hits, let's say, 500k, you are basically tied to whatever Epic paid you
Lmao good luck with that.
If you've been paid in advance for 500k copies sold on EGS, but your game never sells that many copies on EGS, then you've essentially just been paid for a bunch of unsold copies of your game. What is the downside?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
If you've been paid in advance for 500k copies sold on EGS, but your game never sells that many copies on EGS, then you've essentially just been paid for a bunch of unsold copies of your game. What is the downside?
That money wont be eternal. And since they already burned bridges with potential customers on the last game, good luck finding buyers for the next one.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
That money wont be eternal. And since they already burned bridges with potential customers on the last game, good luck finding buyers for the next one.
But that's not a downside with getting paid in advance for a specific number of sales, as opposed to getting paid a (smaller) lump sum while also getting revenue from every copy sold on EGS, that's a downside with taking an exclusivity deal with Epic in general.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Freelance games journalist who writes for pc gamer gets banned on Era because of "it's just another icon" posts:

He also called the issues pc gamerd are having with Epic "based on nothing"

Incredible 🤭
On one hand, he is repeating word for word what Sweeney said and further solidifies PC Gamer's status as a glorified Epic mouthpiece.
On the other hand, the value of an Era ban as a token of justice is laughable. I got banned, you got banned, Hektor got banned. Not worth gloryfying.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Plus I wouldn’t call 30% fleecing developers. That 30% goes a long way to providing services and tools for customers and developers.

And we already know Epic’s cut is unsustainable.
Yeah i find the argument that Steam doesn't warrant its 30% cut weird. To me Steam absolutely deserves its cut, it makes PC gaming so easy and straight forward.

If anything I don't think that Epic deserves even 12% for its bare bones client.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Wow, Sweeney actually posted that. Oh God, the unbearable cringe.
yup, he sure did .... i mean - obviously it's just wordplay etc. ... but the underlying message is still fucking shit ... especially coming from him

imagine if anyone else posted something like that on twitter .... fuck, imagine if Gaben posted something like that ....

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Crooked Steam apologists ((((((corrupt))))) are at it again. FACT is, big WIN for EGS today with Goose Game. EGS has GREAT developer cut. Goose Game developers will get this GREAT cut too. Steam will keep LOSING as PC GAMERS discovers what EGS does for them. @realTimSweeney

Deleted member 113

Crooked Steam apologists ((((((corrupt))))) are at it again. FACT is, big WIN for EGS today with Goose Game. EGS has GREAT developer cut. Goose Game developers will get this GREAT cut too. Steam will keep LOSING as PC GAMERS discovers what EGS does for them. @realTimSweeney
If you add great leader to that text, it would almost sound like North Korean propaganda. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
We will have the best egsclusivity and crooked gaben will pay for it!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
But that's not a downside with getting paid in advance for a specific number of sales, as opposed to getting paid a (smaller) lump sum while also getting revenue from every copy sold on EGS, that's a downside with taking an exclusivity deal with Epic in general.
Sure, if you devs a quick buck they should take it, but IMO it is not worth losing trust down the line.

Reactions: Guilty of Being

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Sure, if you devs a quick buck they should take it, but IMO it is not worth losing trust down the line.
If devs stopped talking down to their audience as if we're incompetent and have just arrived in the pc gaming space, it would help. We know it's the money, or your publisher going for the money. You know it's the money, just say so. I harbour no ill will, but I also am not obligated to follow you down the EGS rabbithole just because you're a creator in my chosen hobby

Trying to parrot Tim Sweeney isn't going to help, the man can't sell EGS to the masses and he's the brainchild behind it. Be straight with us and we both come out the other side better off

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
we can only hope that's actually the case
I think he'll cut himself off a slice of the pie, but I don't think Epic will ever be the leader they want to be when it comes to PC Gaming. Microsoft, Bethesda, EA, most of the Japanese publishers, even Ubisoft (it's clear as day that they're just using Epic to prop up their own launcher), and of course Steam, will make sure of that.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Wish I was a billionaire able to fuck with a whole industry. Must give you one hell of a power trip high.
You'd think being able to force employees to work 80-100hr weeks with little to no overtime while you get to sit back and post smartass tweets on the internet would be enough for him. I know posting smart ass council comments about him is enough for me, and I have no money

Last edited:

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
I like to imagine his advisers are running around in the background just like with the actual President, trying to get him to cool off and not run his mouth so much on sensitive topics, and then freaking out when they have to run interference and damage control.
Something tells me he doesn't have any advisers, just a bunch of sycophants.