News Half-Life: Alyx - Releasing March 23, 2020 on SteamVR

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Oculus and SteamVR support confirmed (obviously).

VR only.

Reactions: Alextended and ISee

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Are they mod tools or are they "just" map editor tools? Either way, the impact could be immense, especially for VR.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Can I say that this :

If you have VR hardware that works with a computer, then it works with SteamVR.

If you don’t yet own any VR hardware, now's the time. Headsets support different sets of features, so the experience will vary between them. Half-Life: Alyx was built hand in hand with Valve Index, which is the highest fidelity option on the market, but the game works great with Vive, Rift and Windows Mixed Reality too. Check out the different options to choose which one is right for you.
Is how things should work and what the PC is about? Looking at you, Oculus.

Edit : well we're all having the same thoughts :)

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
😍

Three days ago, cyberpunk was my most anticipated game next year. Please don't get me wrong, I'm still hyped for it, but this just stole the show for me.

Reactions: Milena and Ge0force

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
This looks amazing. I can see how this will be a killer VR game.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
VR was built for the kind of gameplay that sits at the heart of Half-Life, and Half-Life: Alyx was built from the ground up for VR. You'll be able to play it on any SteamVR compatible system.

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
There's still that little space on the right of the website's menu bar along with all the half-life games that kind of really badly makes me ache deep down :p.
I was more like: Why is there so much space there. That could fit another two games.
Then it hit me: they'll make HLA - Episode 1, Episode 2 and then let us hanging again till they invent the holographic room. Half-Life: Barney

Reactions: Swenhir and Milena

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I was more like: Why is there so much space there. That could fit another two games.
Then it hit me: they'll make HLA - Episode 1, Episode 2 and then let us hanging again till they invent the holographic room. Half-Life: Barney
I hate you.

Reactions: ISee and Milena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im incredible impressed how good the game looks. Don't think Ive played a VR game that has looked this good. VR must render a game 2 times (2 lenses, 1 for each eye) comapred to a normal flatscreen/desktop game which renders a game 1 time.

Reactions: ISee

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
That bit where she is looking around on the shelf for ammo, pushing bits and bobs out the way was cool.
Do the gloves have a slight glow around the wrists, one blue one orange like the portal colours?

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Im incredible impressed how good the game looks. Don't think Ive played a VR game that has looked this good. VR must render a game 2 times (2 lenses, 1 for each eye) comapred to a normal flatscreen/desktop game which renders a game 1 time.
The nerd in me (which, to be fair, is most of me) is incredibly excited that this is built on Source 2.

2-3 years ago Valve gave a lot of deep technical talks about very VR-specific rendering techniques that neither of the engines most VR games are built in ever fully implemented. I'm 100% convinced that this will be an absolute showcase in VR game complexity and rendering quality at any given performance level it supports.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
They are recommending a gtx1060/rx580 for the game. But they are at least targeting 90hz on the index with that. Looking at the visuals: yes that's very impressive.
That bit where she is looking around on the shelf for ammo, pushing bits and bobs out the way was cool.
Do the gloves have a slight glow around the wrists, one blue one orange like the portal colours?
Maybe one for throwing and one for pulling things.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
seeing how well this looks as a VR game has me gutted we will not get a proper half life sequel still

i dont have the monies for VR investment !

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
They are recommending a gtx1060/rx580 for the game. But they are at least targeting 90hz on the index with that. Looking at the visuals: yes that's very impressive.

Maybe one for throwing and one for pulling things.
Wonder if it will work on a GTX 980...