|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

According to multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo’s next-gen console plans, the company is likely to release new hardware during the second half of 2024, to ensure that it has ample stock available on day one and to avoid the kind of shortages seen with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Although specific details on the console are being kept closely guarded, those VGC spoke to indicated that the next-gen console would be able to be used in portable mode, similar to the Nintendo Switch.

Two sources VGC spoke to suggested that the console could launch with an LCD screen, instead of the more premium OLED, in order to bring down costs, especially considering the increased storage needed for higher fidelity games. The current Switch comes with just 32GB of internal memory, while many current-gen PlayStation and Xbox games are over 100GB.

Like its predecessor, the new Nintendo console will also accept physical games via a cartridge slot, the sources said.

Other details, such as backwards compatibility support for Switch games (physical and digital), remains unclear. Nintendo has said it wants to convert as many of Switch’s 100m+ userbase as possible to its next system, although some third-party publishers are said to have expressed concern that legacy support for Switch games could negatively affect sales of next-gen titles.
I was hoping for early 2024. The question mark regarding backwards compatibility is kind of scary, especially since I own a lot of Switch games (both digital and physical). :sweaty-blob:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'd like to believe even nintendo wouldn't get away with not having BC in a digital age but I have so little faith in their fanbase (and nintendo itself) that I can't help but be nervous about it.

The no oled at launch is a bigger wtf to me since extremely cheap phones have it these days but I guess if it was in at launch they couldn't sell an oled model 2 years later and convince their base to double dip. Gotta inflate those install base numbers somehow.

• Toucan
Reactions: Alextended

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
  • Sweating
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Wow, sweet. I did not expect this to happen. I wonder if it will also lead to a remaster/rerelease on other systems (or if they're left waiting for the remake that may or may not suck shit) with some QOL/control updates on top of the same old eurojawesome base game (and lead to the same for the ace sequel too).

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So I'm thinking of getting a secondary console.

There's a few games that aren't on Steam that I want to play (considering giving KH another go, Alan Wake II, The Expanse by Telltale) so I figure I can just play them on console.

I already have an Xbox Series S, but I got that system just for digital 360/OG Xbox backwards compatibility and never really considered it a system I'd play modern games on.

So I'm considering my options.

Keep Series S
  • Cheapest option (pro)
  • No messing about with adding a HDMI 2.1 switch to get it working with my setup (pro)
  • Least amount of space used in my TV cabinet (pro)
  • Games play in 1080p at best, possibly 900p for many (con)

Upgrade to Xbox Series X
  • Middling price as I can sell my Series S to upgrade (not pro or con)
  • Get higher end backwards compatible games (pro)
  • No messing about with adding a HDMI 2.1 switch to get it working with my setup (pro)
  • Will likely just switch out with my Series S in the TV cabinet (pro)
  • Most powerful console (pro)
  • Not much in the way of exclusives, other than those that Epic artificially create on PC (con)
  • 4K Blu-ray player (pro, kind of, even though I'd barely use it)

Buy a PS5 Digital
  • Highest price as I don't want to trade my backwards compatibility on Xbox for it (con)
  • Ugly (con, but can be improved by Dbrand Darkplates)
  • Access to my digital PS4 library (pro)
  • Access to PS5 timed exclusives (pro and a con, because I get to play them earlier, but I hate double dipping when things release on PC, plus I feel reluctant to buy timed exclusives on principle)

Chaos option: buy a PS4 Pro second hand
  • Access to my digital PS4 library (pro)
  • Have to play a lot of non-Steam games on Series S or PS4 Pro (aka not gonna look its best - con)
  • Have a Blu-ray player (pro)

Any thoughts?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
C-Dub if you were Xbox only, upgrading would make sense, but sticking to series s and getting a ps5 would give the most options.

I upgraded from series s to x and don’t regret it but don’t really see much difference. But then again I always played on 1080p with VRR. 4K blueray will be nice once I start buying movies again.

Reactions: C-Dub and Li Kao

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
At the end of the day it really depends on what do you want to play. If you care about playing Sony games early, get a PS5. Otherwise, grab a Series X since you can keep your user profile and everything. A used PS4 Pro or a PS5 revision could be on the cards as well for your PS4 digital library.

Personally I love my Series X. Great console that doesn't look like a oversized router. Japanese games usually skip Xbox but I have Steam for them.

Reactions: C-Dub and Li Kao

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
In your specific situation, I would lean towards the PS5. I know you're not a fan of timed exclusives, but IIRC you like Final Fantasy and while XVI and 7 Rebirth will show up on Steam at some point, considering how Square Enix is, it may be a very long wait. One thing you might wish to consider is waiting to see what Sony's plans are for the PS5 slim. Rumors are it is being announced in September and will have an optional disc drive.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
In your specific situation, I would lean towards the PS5. I know you're not a fan of timed exclusives, but IIRC you like Final Fantasy and while XVI and 7 Rebirth will show up on Steam at some point, considering how Square Enix is, it may be a very long wait. One thing you might wish to consider is waiting to see what Sony's plans are for the PS5 slim. Rumors are it is being announced in September and will have an optional disc drive.
The disc drive specifically doesn't interest me (I'm 100% digital), and somehow they've managed to make the slim uglier than the original. At least with the OG digital PS5 I can slap some Darkplates on it and it looks pretty good horizontally.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm still quite conflicted. I think my main points of contention really are:

• My objection to timed exclusives. I don't hate them on PlayStation as much as I do Epic, because at least Sony has a very good platform and network services.
  • Whether I want to get improved 360 games. Series S doesn't give so many enhancements to OG Xbox and 360 games, whereas the Series X can play them in 4K.

In an ironic twist, having a game on Series X/S or PS5 actually makes it easier to take on my Steam Deck thanks to remote play, rather than trying to sync cloud saves on EGS, which just goes to show how fuckin' terrible that whole service is.

If I got a PS5 I'd certainly be playing it more than the Series X, just on the basis that there'd be more exclusives. But at the same time, I really want to play them, including FF16 and 7Rebirth, on PC.

I'm in no rush for this. Other than wanting to play The Expanse, which I could very easily play on my Series S and probably have a damn good time.

Maybe I'll grab The Expanse on Series S then wait to see how Alan Wake II reviews before making a decision. Will probably have a bit more money in October to justify a big purchase anyway.

I guess looking at the games, here's what I'd probably get in the next 6-12 months:

Alan Wake II (Series X & PS5)
The Expanse (Series X & PS5)
Final Fantasy XVI (after sale, only on PS5 unless it comes to PC before it gets discounted)
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)
Kingdom Hearts 1-3 and all the other nonsense (Series X & PS5)
Star Trek Resurgence (Series X & PS5)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (Series X & PS5)
Gravity Rush 2 (PS5)

I also have a bunch of games that I'd like to get access to and/or have enhanced, including:

Lost Odyssey (Series X)
Dead or Alive 4 (Series X)
Splinter Cell 1-3 (Series X)
Tearaway Unfolded (PS5)
The Last of Us Part II (PS5)
The Last Guardian (PS5)
Gravity Rush Remastered (PS5)

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
I

Upgrade to Xbox Series X

Buy a PS5 Digital

Any thoughts?
If you don't do those both you will end regreting.
You don't have to do both at the same time, maybe a good question is if you would have both and the game more or less look and run the same where would you get it?. The answer for that question could be what is your preferent option. Few time later get the other one.

I'm / was in similar position since for me PC or SteamDeck is only Steam -and old emulators- and I prefer to get Epic games on PS5/SeriesX more than on EGS Store and I have a lot of games on my Microsoft / PSN accounts (and Nintendo).

And Sakura Wars is still PS4 exclusive ;P.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Front Mission 2 Remake Switch is October 5 !

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
If you don't do those both you will end regreting.
You don't have to do both at the same time, maybe a good question is if you would have both and the game more or less look and run the same where would you get it?. The answer for that question could be what is your preferent option. Few time later get the other one.

I'm / was in similar position since for me PC or SteamDeck is only Steam -and old emulators- and I prefer to get Epic games on PS5/SeriesX more than on EGS Store and I have a lot of games on my Microsoft / PSN accounts (and Nintendo).

And Sakura Wars is still PS4 exclusive ;P.
I definitely don’t want or need both. I play 95% of my games on PC - this is purely for those few games that slip through the cracks (aka EGS exclusives that I don’t want to wait for).

I‘m actually leaning towards not getting either for now. Got plenty to keep me busy over the next year, so I think I’ll just hold off on The Expanse and AWII until they release on a platform I’m interested in playing them on.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Where can you buy cheap codes for Nintendo e-shop? I despise the fact that their shop never had a sale for the stuff that I want.

I went to Offgamers, but they added an extra $0.55 for GST (lmao) :flare_lmao:

• Sweating
Reactions: Li Kao

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I mean, I could just torrent it, but I'd like to contribute a little to nearly 9 million unit sales of Xenoblade Chronicles, so Takahashi can at least afford some instant ramen /s.

Reason: spelling.
Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I mean, I could just torrent it, but I'd like to contribute a little to nearly 9 million unit sales of Xenoblade Chronicles, so Takashi can at least afford some instant ramen /s.
Don't tell me ! I'm resisting the urge to buy another Switch right now. It makes zero sense given the Switch 2 is pretty sure to drop next year, but this end of year is stacked. And I'm too old to find pleasure in pirating and sticking it to the man.
But fuuu, 300+ and games at a premium for an aging hardware, ok.

Well, the aging hardware isn't even the issue. The issue is that I will be there day one for Switch 2, so that makes a purchase of the first pretty dubious right now in 2023.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019

This looks so much better than the New Super Mario Bros. titles. It's my most anticipated game right now.
This is the next big thing for me. I like sidescroller Mario games way, WAY more than 3D ones. Managed to preorder it for 41€ which is probably the cheapest it's going to be for years.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
The NSMB games were so kitsch. Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks like a much-needed refresh of 2D Mario.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
The "New" line of games was kinda bland and bad, I'm not gonna lie. But it wasn't the only thing out there.

Despite the mismanagement of the "Maker" series, Super Mario Maker 2 has some of my most enjoyed levels in the saga. And there are tons of high quality NOT KAIZO levels and even full campaigns to download. Maybe they'll have a properly supported Super Mario Maker 3 for the "Switch 2". And Super Mario 3D World had some good levels too for an "hybrid" 2D/3D game.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Playing Advance Wars Reboot on my Steam Deck and Im not feeling it, feels so basic and all, like many other indies and bigger games like Fire Emblem has done a better job with this genre. Just feeling bored and the art style and animations doesn't help either.

Reactions: Ge0force

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

A bunch of rumors about the Switch 2 being shown behind closed doors at Gamescom. Sounds like it'll be a more powerful than I had anticipated. I had expected something around the base PS4 but this looks like it might be closer to the Series S?

• Eyes
  • Gib
Reactions: Cacher and lashman
Dec 5, 2018
If it's a final product, and not a devkit (and assuming all that it's true).
That reads as a considerable price increase, Which in turn makes me doubt that information.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I know I sounded like I was high on hopium when I made that post (I remember how the Wii was going to be as strong as the PS3 but was just a souped up GameCube), but Nintendo giving their next system a bit more juice would be great. Not that I really expect it as they haven't been in the hardware power race for over 20 years.

At the bare minimum I hope it matches Steam Deck specs, but something closer to Series S would be nice. Nintendo is likely more concerned about battery life compared to Valve which means the specs might be slightly worse to compensate.

Reactions: Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I know I sounded like I was high on hopium when I made that post (I remember how the Wii was going to be as strong as the PS3 but was just a souped up GameCube), but Nintendo giving their next system a bit more juice would be great. Not that I really expect it as they haven't been in the hardware power race for over 20 years.

At the bare minimum I hope it matches Steam Deck specs, but something closer to Series S would be nice. Nintendo is likely more concerned about battery life compared to Valve which means the specs might be slightly worse to compensate.
Sorry didn't mean to make it seem like I was calling you out I was talking about the ones creating the rumors and leaks. We see it every console launch like when some of the media was trying to spread the BS that xbox one had a secret 2nd GPU in it lol.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Sorry didn't mean to make it seem like I was calling you out I was talking about the ones creating the rumors and leaks. We see it every console launch like when some of the media was trying to spread the BS that xbox one had a secret 2nd GPU in it lol.
The Xbox One derangement was on whole new level. I totally forgot about the second GPU.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Will this be the day I buy yet another Switch ? Never. I repeat. Never. Hold my beer.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I think I will pass. There is the obvious factor that only Nintendo games are sure fire exclusives, and as much as I love TTYD, you're cute but I want a new one, not a remaster (which people totally should play because it's amazing).

Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
You can tell Nintendo is reserving all the big hitters for the next console.

But still, very excited for the Princess Peach game. And all these Mario RPG remakes? I will take all of them, And I think their existence means new Mario RPG games are on the way.

• Hug
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Very boring and uninteresting direct. Mainly dissapointed in no Unicorn Overlord for PC, so I either have to get it on my PS5 or emulate it so I can play it on my Deck. Peach game looked cool though.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Another Code was the highlight for me.

Hoping we get both Kyle Hyde games next.
I played the first game on DS and it was really good. One of the earliest DS games I played and that puzzle requiring to close and open the DS blew my mind.

Going to play this one on the Switch. And yeah, hoping for both Kyle Hyde games as well, although I have already finished them before.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I said no, but I still have my local store switch page open.
I take absolutely no pleasure in 'emulation'. But fu fu fu, 300+ will be 300 less... thonking

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
HELP! I can not decide which console i should choose. :( PS5 or XBOX Series X.

Any pointers from console users?
Depends where your friends are! For me most of my friends are on xbox or on PC but using game pass so any online gaming can be done. And yeah game pass is huge draw for me, since I would be able to buy all the games I want to play not having to worry about that is nice, even if I don't own the games in the end.