|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
If Sony is doing an exclusive FF16 state of play now then its unlikely they do a big main state of play in May/June. They now pretty much have no reason to do their next big SoP until August/Sept. Kind of disappointing as I hoped Sony and Nintendo would do a big one along side all the other shows in beginning of June. Looks like we are getting another summer of scattered events.

Nintendo will probably do it in July/August/Sept. That is probably where they start teasing Switch 2.
Grubb said the showcase that's being planned was originally meant for last year around TGS time but it fell apart due to partners not being ready (I assume some of their own studios weren't too). The one coming in may/june is supposed to be pretty big and focusing on the next "phase" of ps5 so probably the next 2+ years.

If anything I think FF16 getting a big focus now means at most there will be a brief trailer on the showcase to get people ready for the launch of the game a few weeks later and focus will shift to FF7 Rebirth since it's due out early next year. There's not many opportunities to show that game between now and then.

Reactions: yuraya

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I thought about it and now I convinced myself that Nintendo will not show too much of Zelda today, so.... Fuck it. I am watching this final trailer. No more restraint.

Reactions: C-Dub

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Even I have to admit that was a good trailer though I'm afraid it makes it look more interesting than it will be if botw was any indication.

• Toucan
Reactions: Alextended

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Will Final Fantasy XVI’s State of Play today make me regret selling my PS5?

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
FFXVI looks technically and visually impressive, but I suspect it’s going to be a watered-down AAA experience that is hollowed out.

I wasn’t at all impressed by that State of Play. Game looks like it has much depth as a puddle.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Every showing of FF16 I hate it more and more. This was supposedly a RPG breakdown vid that yoshi p has been teasing for like 2 months now and once again 70% of it was combat clips. This is looking to have fewer RPG stuff than non RPG games like Horizon. I can't even say any of the story stuff looks appealing so far. Most of the characters are dry and boring with no defining features (their designs are equally uninspired) or traits and all I know about the story is the main character smolders with generic rage and wants revenge.

Reactions: C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I like everything I see except the combat. First true action rpg, what are they even talking about? It seems like they've been doing this crap for ages now. I'm not sure about the thrilling roller coaster ride talk either. Bayonetta 3 did the whole summons thing way better than this simplistic take here. Bring in Sakaguchi and adopt something like The Last Story, that was a way more forward thinking JRPG combat system and it's been over a decade. It was just a bit stiff and limited by the budget and the Wii's system specs. A modern improvement on that with Square money would be sweet. Still, the world and everything else look real good.

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
They've been doing this "first real action rpg" thing for a while now and I'm like even if you just look only at FF they haven't had a non action FF in FIFTEEN YEARS.

Also if DMC is their definition of "real action rpg" then we need an intervention for these guys.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think if someone slapped a different name on that game and said it was a first party Sony game, I’d believe them.

I’m sure the game will have its fans, but I personally feel its strayed too far from what I want out of a Final Fantasy game.

I think it will probably sell a ton, mostly to the crowd who laps up every cinematic AAA experience, but there will be plenty of long-time FF fans who’ll feel left out in the cold.

This has the feeling of an EA-style “broadening” where they discard all the things that made the series unique to sell more copies.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I skipped around the FF XVI video and I like enough of what I see that I'll buy it. I'm down with Fantasy May Cry. I'm using my Microsoft Rewards funbucks I had saved for Diablo 4 and getting some Amazon credit to get XVI instead.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im just gonna wait for the PC version. There's been so many times in the last few years where I picked up the console version of a game fully knowing a PC version will release at some point and then I ended up barely playing the console version at all.

Im not gonna be a doubledipp sucker again.

Reactions: Cacher and C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I just played some Astral Chain. I'm on Chapter/File 3 but googled to see if it opens up later. It's a fully linear action game with stats (like most character action games have healing, support, attack items or skills and such to unlock via gathered resource(s) as you progress, that doesn't make them RPGs), I dunno why people have been giving the impression it's an RPG and likening it more to Nier than Bayonetta. It's a good and fun game but so restrictive if you expect more of those elements from it so if you haven't played it and intend to don't expect that stuff. The mission areas are preset, it switches from investigation to action phases to even some Persona-like simplistic 'dungeon' areas or Platinum's usual mini game bits. Everything is in a predetermined order by the story and mission, even if there may be some little deadend side paths and objectives for maximum gains per file.

I'm just disappointed, not because of how good the game is but after all the RPG talk surrounding it for apparently zero reason now that I've played it, I had even watched a bit of the DF analysis on it where they were talking about the performance in the action vs the open city areas and those turn out to be just linear levels with some platforming or switch triggering to progress during the investigation phase or even during the action phase. They too said it's more consistent and polished than Nier. Oh well. The combat is pretty rad with the dual character control (just got a 2nd demon).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I've never heard anyone call Astral Chains RPG. It could be called RPG-lite or something, because there are stats and skills you can fiddle with, but its RPG elements aren't robust enough to call it true RPG. As for the game itself, I really liked it, although the story was meh and the dungeons got boring really fast, but the combat and movement were excellent.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Went arrrr on Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp and it runs great on Ryu. Yeah, for the price it's not worth it. I found the animations "stiff" and still having a hard time with the art style.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I deleted a bunch of stuff off my Switch to make room for Zelda. Sorry, Final Fantasy 8, but you're going into the trash.

• Toucan
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
If Zelda runs great on Ryu or Yuzu day 1 Im going that route, if not, Im buying on Switch.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Yeah there's a guy streaming Tears of the Kingdom right now on some streaming site called trovo. I think he is playing directly on the Switch.
For those who are curious about the leak:

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: d00d3n and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I clicked "not interested" on a few zelda videos. Hopefully this can prevent the algorithm from recommending spoiler video to me.

Damn I have waited this game for 6 years. I am not ruining the experience by watching spoilers.

Reactions: d00d3n and C-Dub

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
A dump of the game that people claim to be playable on emulators seems to be readily available through the usual channels that release this kind of content.

I guess it's either time to play the game or take a vacation from youtube for the next week. I have preordered the game and will go for the for the youtube vacation due to not really having the patience for emulators and especially not warez releases these days.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Got a PS4 from friend, may build a small collection of PS4 exclusives/console exclusive games.

Any tips?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Rent A Hero No.1 Dreamcast fan translation of weirdo parody action RPG has released.
Dear Heroes, the wait is finally over!

I am thrilled to announce the first unofficial release of Rent-A-Hero No.1 English translation for SEGA Dreamcast!

Please note this is not just a translation:

Enjoy new exclusive features: unlockable secrets, 3D models, VMU animations, Opening / Ending subs, reworked interface controls, Debug modes and much more!
Pre-patched GDI/CDI on cdromance or wherever each of you goes to acquire such stuff.

This is a complete 3D remake of the mediocre Genesis/Mega Drive game that was also fan translated. A leaked cancelled unfinished Xbox port had English too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MegaApple

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Huh, I only just discovered there was a decent looking Japan only Gundam game on Wii. It kinda looks like it takes after the cool & simy Dreamcast game a bit. Which itself took after the Sega Saturn Side Story games which were also in first person simy style but more simplistic in their approach given the gulf in tech.

Severe frame drops aside (maybe fixable in Dolphin with a 60fps code?) I'd love to play it for sure if there was a good translation I could understand. Oh well. It seems like the best Gundam games are the stuff nobody has heard of. Maybe with the exception of the Gundam vs series which has had some visibility at times.

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

I give him credit for at least showing up and taking the hits after the redfall disaster.

One thing that raised my eyebrows a bit was near the end when he basically admits there's nothing they can do that's going to make them outsell sony or nintendo. I think the exact quote is "there's no world where starfield is a 11/10 and people sell their ps5 and come to us". He also says something that I've seen some say online and agree with, that they lost the most important generation (last gen) when people started becoming entrenched into digital ecosystems. That being said it's not impossible to gain ground. Sony said a while ago that 30% of ps5 buyers didn't have a ps4 and that number could be higher now.

Really though I don't think there's anything they can do to ever get on sony's level. Their best performance ever happened to coincide with sony actively fucking up in every possible way they could...and they still ended up getting outsold by ps3 by the end of the gen. They're basically going up against the apple of gaming in terms of brand power.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Gravity Rush 1 & 2
Destiny
Bloodborne
Kingdom Hearts 3
I just checked my small physical PS4 collection, and the only console exclusive left I'd further recommend without a doubt is 13 Sentinels.
Really speaks out to
a) PS4 never had that many great exclusives to begin with
b) Many of those have been ported to PC over the last few years (FF15, FF7R, Sony First Parties)

Two more exclusives in my collection I could recommend: Sakura Wars (amazing music), Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune (amazing.. chest ahead).

Reactions: MegaApple
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im enjoying TotK so much I actually feel I wanna buy it, the problem is that I still have plans to play through Nioh 2, Midnight Suns and Tales of Arise first, but they are all long games.

Reactions: d00d3n

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Looking forward to playing Zelda on Friday. Finally switching on my switch after a long time (only have like 5 games for it). Wish I could emulate it, but my cpu is not up to the task I feel (i5).

It is weird going into this one blind though, only know it uses a similar or same map and those levels in the sky. Otherwise it will be fresh.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Well they aren't launching it in April, May or Summer of next year. No one launches hardware in those months so if its not March then it has to be Fall 2024.

They'll do a marketing blitz next summer and probably push it out in Oct/Nov.

This year they will just just drop the Switch price by like 50$ to sell a ton with the new Zelda + wtvr big game that comes out in the 2nd half of the year.

Its kind of crazy how long people have to wait for it. I wonder if Nvidia just hasn't been able to put together an affordable and good performing chip for them. Still wtvr the Switch 2 ends up being I don't expect anything under 400$ at launch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The main thing I want from the Switch 2 is a new Mario platformer as a launch title. I replayed Mario Odyssey back in the winter and I think I enjoyed it more than when I first played it in 2017.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I totally forgot about my Zelda preorder. Just checked my Gmail, saw they sent it out two days ago. Checked DHL homepage, they said it was delivered two hours ago. So the one time I did not check my mail box after returning from work was today.
But hey, I now have Zelda in my hand. Now the difficult choice to rip this (launch Switch) or not.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Picking up my copy of Zelda tomorrow at retai. Plus, I get 10% off on the game at the shop, so that's really nice.

Reactions: yuraya