Community MetaRPG | Hurting. Longing. Dancing to disco music.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Looking at that map, it looks like it could be a tedious/difficult dungeon - but at least I assume it does not have a dungeon that was literally time gated :face-with-tears-of-joy:. Finally out of that awful Sloth dungeon.

Next is SMT2 and then Strange Journey as the current plan :blobnerd:

• Comfy
Reactions: Valdien

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Ohhhh, there is a secret boss in Blue Reflection. Finally a challenge in this game.

Edit: Beaten. Not much a challenge honestly lol. Died once to understand how it move, made better preparation and now it is dead.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Routa

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I was getting lost in the Domain of Envy, stupid dungeon turned off the computer so you couldn't open the map. And the automapping doesn't mark teleporters. So I had to resort to old map making on two of the floors :blobnerd:

The greyish areas are dark rooms? Theres no natural wall indicators for them. Quick and dirty, all the icons are just different ways I could mark which teleporters were which. I even stumbled into a sword that seems OP :face-with-tears-of-joy:. All because I had not taken a guardian yet - because I was not 100% sure on how the system functioned. What luck!

Reactions: Stevey

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I was getting lost in the Domain of Envy, stupid dungeon turned off the computer so you couldn't open the map. And the automapping doesn't mark teleporters. So I had to resort to old map making on two of the floors :blobnerd:

The greyish areas are dark rooms? Theres no natural wall indicators for them. Quick and dirty, all the icons are just different ways I could mark which teleporters were which. I even stumbled into a sword that seems OP :face-with-tears-of-joy:. All because I had not taken a guardian yet - because I was not 100% sure on how the system functioned. What luck!
Getting through the Domain of Envy has prepared you somewhat for the dungeons in Strange Journey. :p

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Getting through the Domain of Envy has prepared you somewhat for the dungeons in Strange Journey. :p
I’ve played Wizardry IV, the definition of agony. I’m already prepared:dmcblob:

Slightly related tangent:
While I do enjoy the time-saver that is automapping in some remasters or via modding, it can completely negate the challenge some of these older games provide. Just for an example, the following map from Bard’s Tale 2:

All the X icons are spinner traps. With the automapping feature in the remaster, they are completely irrelevant. I also think later in this dungeon are spinner traps on anti-magic zones, so no compass spell! But that also does not matter with their automapper.

The nospin ring in Bard’s Tale is your best friend if you find one.

Edit: I’m remembering why I found Bard’s Tale 2 a nightmare again just looking at these maps.

Spinner traps in a dark room on an anti magic zone and a song silencer. How sadistic.:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Swenhir

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Haha yeah, I think the difficulty of the SJ maps is overstated. It’s par for the course with the older Wizardry, Bard‘s Tale, etc. series. And the toughest entries in those are way above it.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I decided to test out the PS1 remakes of the Wizardry games today.

Booted them up, then had to Google how to turn the game to English as the menus are in Japanese. I kind of like the updated visuals.

Only problem is I have not played these games in over a well over decade or two, and all the descriptions are in Japanese - so a bit of trial in error in what the spells do - or just google. I was planning to do a run through of 1-5 this year, and after messing around in these remakes for a bit, I might do it via these. The games seem to be the exact same mechanically, just some nice visual updates.

I say a "run through" of 1-5, but 4 will probably end with me giving up me as is my tradition.

I was alt tabbed while writing this and the stupid ghost killed me - I completely forgot about that. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I made it to the second floor which is good enough for me during a test run

:frogreview:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I have been playing a bit of Vaporum which is my first "real" dungeon crawler if you don't count SMT4 and P4G (or interpret Souls games as a form of dungeon crawlers). Really liking it though my coordination is not there yet for the combat encounters. Probably also missed some secrets in the first section.

Might be a genre that I enjoy. Inspired by Gizmo I might do my dive into the SMT series earlier than thought and maybe I will dip my toes into the M&M: World of Xeen. Also been meaning to play the Legend of Grimrock games for quite some time now.

Any other recommendations for a newbie to the genre?

Reactions: Taborcarn

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
If you're enjoying the real-time ones like Vaporum, you'll definitely like the Legend of Grimrock games, (they're great but you already mentioned them).

Going back a bit further with that type there's the Eye of the Beholder series. Helps to be familiar with the D&D rules, but it's still more accessible than the granddaddy of the Genre, Dugeon Master.

There's also Lands of Lore, which was the same dev team as EotB after they left SSI

And I'm all for everyone playing Xeen :) Once I go through that again, I'll probably replay Might and Magic 6 through 8, which you can switch between real-time or turn-based modes.

Reactions: BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
If you're enjoying the real-time ones like Vaporum, you'll definitely like the Legend of Grimrock games, (they're great but you already mentioned them).

Going back a bit further with that type there's the Eye of the Beholder series. Helps to be familiar with the D&D rules, but it's still more accessible than the granddaddy of the Genre, Dugeon Master.

There's also Lands of Lore, which was the same dev team as EotB after they left SSI

And I'm all for everyone playing Xeen :) Once I go through that again, I'll probably replay Might and Magic 6 through 8, which you can switch between real-time or turn-based modes.
I would be interested in more real-time ones down the line but I think I would be more interested in turnbased ones first

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Well the most recentl one I finished was Wizardry 7... don't think I would recommend it to those not already deep in the series. (Or just willing to play step by step with a guide, like I did. The game is half of an old point-and-click adventure too, where you have to have random item A and use it in random spot B all the way on the other side of the world. And the world is enormous.)

But these are the Japanese Wizardry-likes I'm meaning to play at some point soon:

And more loosely based:

Edit:
Also there's Bard Tale 4, and the older Bard's Tale games Remastered (the remasters do a lot for QoL improvments)

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Grid Cartographer is on sale, has anyone here used it? Is it the best program out there?

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Grid Cartographer is great. The Might & Magic maps I posted earlier used it.

I don't believe there is anything out there as good for manual mapping. There are some other utilities out there (usually game or series specific) that implement auto-mapping, or just provide you with the whole completed map, but that's different than what Grid Cartographer is. The game link feature is also nice (Keeps track of your in-game position and automatically switches to the correct map when you move to different areas. There is a list of supported games.).

• Gib
Reactions: Routa

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Excel!

This reminds me, I really need to return to Bard's Tale 1. Left it behind in mid-April. I should be able to return around August as I have already planned my gaming time in July.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Grid Cartographer is great. The Might & Magic maps I posted earlier used it.

I don't believe there is anything out there as good for manual mapping. There are some other utilities out there (usually game or series specific) that implement auto-mapping, or just provide you with the whole completed map, but that's different than what Grid Cartographer is. The game link feature is also nice (Keeps track of your in-game position and automatically switches to the correct map when you move to different areas. There is a list of supported games.).
That game link feature sounds pretty amazing :blobnerd:. Might have to cave

• Gib
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This book might be of interest to us here. Seems like a great coffee table book. It's nice of them to give eroge a nod too.

• Gib
Reactions: Arulan and Cacher
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
This book might be of interest to us here. Seems like a great coffee table book. It's nice of them to give eroge a nod too.
I picked up a copy myself. They also published the CRPG Book, which was excellent.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Would a bi-monthly RPG equivalent of a book club be of any interest here with people cycling suggestions :RangerBlob:

• Gib
Reactions: lashman
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Would a bi-monthly RPG equivalent of a book club be of any interest here with people cycling suggestions :RangerBlob:
I think it's a good idea, but I've held off on it before because I'm not sure we have the activity for it. That said, I'm willing to give it a go if there is enthusiasm for it.

• Comfy
Reactions: Routa and lashman
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I still haven't fully settled into my new home, but at least I have a temporary setup...

And speaking of which, Might & Magic continues!

Previously I was doing a little exploration of Varn before heading to the Forest Stronghold. I'm now level 7, so I think I'm ready. Level 7 also means my Sorceress & Cleric now have Level 4 spells, and my Archer and Paladin have access to Level 1 Sorcerer & Cleric spells respectively.

Not bad. Time Distortion and Surface make exploring dungeons a lot safer. Guard Dog is always useful. Psychic Protection and Shield can be incredible against the right encounter. And I can finally restore my party's alignment without paying a fortune at the Temples.

Onto the Forest Stronghold...

I already have the Ruby Whistle from before, and know that I have to blow it twice to enter.

I've spent most of my time on the first floor thus far. Some strange rooms in here... and Minotaur dung.

Throughout this floor there are several doors that lead to a challenging encounter room, like this one:

Well, the Uglies Club wasn't as bad as the rest.

Getting Fireballs thrown at you isn't as much fun...

Oh, and these fucking things. You just have to watch as they explode all over your party.

I did make my way to the second floor, and found this...

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I started Breath of Fire recently and I really like it. It's kind of refreshing how unpretentious it is. Doesn't stop to tell why you should go out and rescue some people for the plot. Just asks you "Help us?" "Yes." "Okay. Go there" and then you go there. The pacing is just relentless. And yet I think it wouldn't really work if it was any slower or tried to do much with its prose. Of course a lot of it could always be down to the translation though I think if it weren't intentional it would've been fixed with the GBA rerelease that I'm playing.

A game that unabashedly knows it is a game and knows you are playing a RPG

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I thought we had a cRPG thread, hmmm.
Anyway, Trudograd the next in the ATOM RPG franchise has a release date! Miracles happen!

Another RPG release for September.

Last edited:

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
I've been in a JRPG mood recently and I'm trying to go through all those older classics I've never had a chance to play or complete. Lately I have finished:

- Chrono Cross: It was actually my third (?) attempt to finish this. I would usually just get bored of it in the first five hours, but this time I've made it through. And boy did I have a love-hate relationship with it. The music was amazing, the environments were gorgeous and I really liked the overall story, even if the pacing was terrible and a lot of it was just dumped 10 minutes before the final boss.
But I really disliked having so many characters at my disposal. Because of the vast number of them, I feel like only a very select few of them had good backstories and motivations. The rest felt like fillers and it affected the pacing of the story a lot.
The combat system was fine, but the levelling mechanics were a bit obtuse. I'm not a big fan of games that limit your ability to level up, but I understand why they did it.

- Lost Odyssey: That was a fun one. The characters and story were really interesting, but unfortunately the plot kinds of loses steam on the third disc. Nothing much happens from that point on until the end, except for your characters endlessly repeating that the big bad man is bad and that you REALLY need to stop him. What didn't help was that a lot of the motivations of the villain were hidden behind a sidequest that I was not even aware of until I read it in a guide. That's not cool and I hate when games do that.
Apart from this, the combat system was basic but fun, even though it also limits your ability to level up (until disc 4 anyway, where you can find spots to gain a lot of exp before the final boss). The soundtrack was incredible (one of Uematsu's best OST imo) and the short stories made me tear up quite a few times. They were very well written even though they were kind of a pacing-breaker, especially early in the game when a lot of them pop up in quick succession.

As for now, I'm currently going through Xenogears. It was a rough start, but it's starting to pick up a bit more. I'm now around 18 hours in and have been having a good time. Not a big fan of the Deathblow system, but the mech fights are pretty cool and I love the 90s PS1 aesthetic of it all.

Reason: Typos!
Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
- Lost Odyssey: That was a fun one. The characters and story were really interesting, but unfortunately the plot kinds of loses steam on the third disc. Nothing much happens from that point on until the end, except for your characters endlessly repeating that the big bad man is bad and that you REALLY need to stop him. What didn't help was that a lot of the motivations of the villain were hidden behind a sidequest that I was not even aware of until I read it in a guide. That's not cool and I hate when games do that.
Apart from this, the combat system was basic but fun, even though it also limits your ability to level up (until disc 4 anyway, where you can find spots to gain a lot of exp before the final boss). The soundtrack was incredible (one of Uematsu's best OST imo) and the short stories made me tear up quite a few times. They were very well written even though they were kind of a pacing-breaker, especially early in the game when a lot of them pop up in quick succession.
Nice. I played it at launch so my memories are fading. I only remember three things of this game:
  • Same as you, I think the short stories are fantastic. On the contrary, the main story was pretty mediocre (because I don't remember any of it lol)
  • Load times are horrendous
  • I killed the final boss in one turn

I plan to replay it after getting a Series X in the future. Still haven't played Blue Dragon so there are more things to look forward to!

Reactions: pinson

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Nice. I played it at launch so my memories are fading. I only remember three things of this game:
  • Same as you, I think the short stories are fantastic. On the contrary, the main story was pretty mediocre (because I don't remember any of it lol)
  • Load times are horrendous
  • I killed the final boss in one turn

I plan to replay it after getting a Series X in the future. Still haven't played Blue Dragon so there are more things to look forward to!
The load times were pretty good on my Xbox One S, so they should be more than fine on your (future) Series X. I think that not having to load from a disc helps this game quite a bit. And yeah, the final boss was a joke, especially after completing a few of the endgame sidequests.

I too am looking forward to playing Blue Dragon at some point. And also eventually The Last Story. (to complete the original Mistwalker console trifecta). I'm curious to see how they both compare to Lost Odyssey.

Reason: Forgot stuff!
  • Love
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
The load times were pretty good on my Xbox One S, so they should be more than fine on your (future) Series X. I think that not having to load from a disc helps this game quite a bit. And yeah, the final boss was a joke, especially after completing a few of the endgame sidequests.

I too am looking forward to playing Blue Dragon at some point. And also eventually The Last Story. (to complete the original Mistwalker console trifecta). I'm curious to see how they both compare to Lost Odyssey.
I totally forgot Last Story haha. I may play it in the future. I also hope Fantasian would not stay exclusive to Apple Arcade because it looks like a really good JRPG.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
I totally forgot Last Story haha. I may play it in the future. I also hope Fantasian would not stay exclusive to Apple Arcade because it looks like a really good JRPG.
Yes! I really hope it gets a Steam release at some point. From what I've read, it's a great JRPG.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Finally made it to the second disc of Xenogears. I honestly don't know how I feel about this game lol. The combat system is pretty barebones and I kind of hate having to learn all the Deathblows without much indication about how to do it (unless you look up the most optimal way in a guide or something).

I like the overarching story but boy are there times when it just drags on and on and nothing of note happens, although it seems to be starting to pick up now. I know the second disc is renowned for being all story/no gameplay, so I'm kind of hopeful in a way ahaha.

Reactions: xinek and Taborcarn

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Time for my last Xenogears-related MetaRPG bump!
Finally finished the game after 52ish hours. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, but I still had a good time. My last impressions:

• Story was great. The part where you learn that Fei actually had a personality disorder because of a childhood trauma was really emotional. For such an old RPG, this felt like a surprisingly mature subject to introduce, but they did it really well.
  • I also loved the revelation that god was actually this weird alien blob that created humanity only to revive itself. I find it hilarious (in a very morbid way) that all those religions were created to worship a being that actually did not give a shit about its creation.
  • The Xenogears mech was fucking awesome.
  • My only problem is the fact that all the cool grandiose stuff happens on disc 2. Disc 1 has some cool spots, but boy is it spread thin.
  • Speaking of being spread thin, the soundtrack was great but the reuse of songs was just too much. This is a game that really suffers from the fact that this is a one-CD soundtrack quite honestly.
  • Gameplay was meh. Like I mentioned earlier, the Deathblow system felt spammy. And the encounter rate was way too high. I preferred disc 2 for that reason, as most fights (the few that there were) were in gear mode.

So that's it. I'm still thinking about what my next RPG is gonna be. I have a quite a few I'm thinking of, but I'll take a little break first.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Anyone picking up that Dungeon Encounters? I'd love to pick it up but my only option currently to play it is my Switch and I still have Eastward (and Octopath and Xenoblade 1) on it that I want to get to (eventually) first. But what I've seen and heard it sounds rad

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Anyone picking up that Dungeon Encounters? I'd love to pick it up but my only option currently to play it is my Switch and I still have Eastward (and Octopath and Xenoblade 1) on it that I want to get to (eventually) first. But what I've seen and heard it sounds rad
I just read that Ito AND Uematsu were involved in that game, so I kind of feel like I have to get it. I'll probably wait for a sale tho...

In unrelated news, I've been going through Kingdom Heart for the first time (not counting the one attempt I made in 2005 on PS2) and... it's pretty average? Like, there are some cool parts with the combat, especially when you start levelling up and getting some abilities. But GODDAMN that enemy spawning rate! They're just endlessly coming at you while you smash the attack button for 10 minutes straight. It's exhausting, especially when you're just trying to progress through the levels.

Exploring is cool and it's pretty fun to hunt for treasure chests (even if the jumping skills required of you are a bit too high sometimes) but there are unfortunately a lot of "where the fuck do I go now" kind of moments. And combined with that insane respawn rate, it's rather unpleasant most of the time.

Dec 5, 2018
Anyone picking up that Dungeon Encounters?
I was gonna pick it up, but Collection of Saga launches next week and I'm slightly more interested in that.

I've been going through Kingdom Heart for the first time (not counting the one attempt I made in 2005 on PS2) and... it's pretty average? Like, there are some cool parts with the combat, especially when you start levelling up and getting some abilities
The first KH hasn't aged that well. It's a lot more plataformy and the fact that the order in which you learn skills is determined by a decision you make at the begining of the game

• This!
Reactions: pinson and BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I just read that Ito AND Uematsu were involved in that game, so I kind of feel like I have to get it. I'll probably wait for a sale tho...

In unrelated news, I've been going through Kingdom Heart for the first time (not counting the one attempt I made in 2005 on PS2) and... it's pretty average? Like, there are some cool parts with the combat, especially when you start levelling up and getting some abilities. But GODDAMN that enemy spawning rate! They're just endlessly coming at you while you smash the attack button for 10 minutes straight. It's exhausting, especially when you're just trying to progress through the levels.

Exploring is cool and it's pretty fun to hunt for treasure chests (even if the jumping skills required of you are a bit too high sometimes) but there are unfortunately a lot of "where the fuck do I go now" kind of moments. And combined with that insane respawn rate, it's rather unpleasant most of the time.
I love Kingdom Hearts but the first Kingdom Hearts was never a good game other than its purity and honesty. Combat is clunk and level design is bad. I still wake up with cold sweat because I dreamed of the Depe Jungle or Monstro.

Kingdom Hearts 2 though. Now that's a classic.

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
Anyone picking up that Dungeon Encounters?
It's weird. I both simultaneously love it and hate it. If you have old school dungeon crawler sensibilities you'll probably have a good time with it; otherwise I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone unless they're a masochist.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I like Dungeon Encounters, but I also like that I'm playing with a list of the locations for the Math and Map puzzles.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I know there's no lack of DRPG enthusiasts in this OT, so there's a piece of good news for everyone.

I've heard that the story is really good, and the world-building is told through character interactions and subtexts.

Fans of Wizardry will feel right at home.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Also, currently there is a 30% off coupon at DLSite.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
It's been a while since a game has made me as angry playing it as Kingdom Hearts. I'm just trying to hunt for treasures before the final world and enemies just NEVER STOP spawning. Like holy shit, give me a break.

Also, true ending requirements in ANY game are bullshit. Uber-bosses should be optional and I should not be penalized story-wise for skipping them.

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Project Missouri rumor/leak:

• Focusing on experimental mechanics and interactions.
  • It's still being developed by a small team.
  • 16th century Europe setting.
  • Still planned to have no combat.
  • Murder mystery RPG. You will be investigating a murder by talking to people and building a case. You can accuse people of murder. You will possibly continue to play even if you get it wrong and see the consequences.
  • Planned to be coming out in 2022.

I'm sure some of you have seen the leak regarding Josh Sawyer's upcoming RPG. What do you think?

Personally I think this is the best outcome for Sawyer's next project. A break from Pillars of Eternity will do him good, and he's been talking about making his historical RPG for years now. He's clearly passionate about this.

Every one of those details is something I'm excited about. Darklands and recently Kingdom Come: Deliverance make me want to see more grounded historical RPGs. I suspect Disco Elysium is a source of inspiration here given how it succeeds in many of these details. It's also worth noting that Sawyer is a fan of Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, which also revolves around a murder mystery.

• Eyes

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
It's been a while since a game has made me as angry playing it as Kingdom Hearts. I'm just trying to hunt for treasures before the final world and enemies just NEVER STOP spawning. Like holy shit, give me a break.

Also, true ending requirements in ANY game are bullshit. Uber-bosses should be optional and I should not be penalized story-wise for skipping them.
There is no True Ending in Kingdom Hearts. Just a hidden video that teases Kingdom Hearts 2 that you can easily watch on Youtube. Or do it like 13 year old me and download it on Limewire with some Evanescence song over it.

• Toucan
Reactions: xinek

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
There is no True Ending in Kingdom Hearts. Just a hidden video that teases Kingdom Hearts 2 that you can easily watch on Youtube. Or do it like 13 year old me and download it on Limewire with some Evanescence song over it.
Kigdom Hearts games don't have secret endings they just have secret teasers to future games.
Oh, my bad. I thought the "deep dive" thing was a secret ending. Anyway, I got the bonus from finding all the Dalmatians, and yeah i'll watch the other one on Youtube.