Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
The progression doesn't work well for a Rogue-lite, not unlike Rogue Legacy.
The game relies heavily on effectively grinding more stats, and it's extremely unlikely that you can complete it early on.

Pure permanent buffs are not what Rogue-lites are about, and a lot of them should go for a more traditional RPG approach if they want to do it like that.

Children of Morta worked a lot better, as progress was the game, and the short bursts of random elements were just a means to an end. You didn't spend 1 hour+ only to lose and restart everything with a marginal upgrade upon marginal upgrade giving you a chance to defeat the next step.
I couldn't disagree more.
Everspace progression is great and meaningful and I personally felt the chance a single point made in each of the stats. Plus you can unlock other ships that fell completely differently and allow you to use completely different weapons and tactics. Add the many different warp mechanics that you'll unlock through completing side quests and the weapon upgrades throughout the run and you have a perfect mix of permanent and volatile progression.

I've completed the game dozens of times, and it's necessary to see the true ending, and I can assure you it's possible to go start-to-end in less than 30min. I can also tell you I managed my first win in run 10 or 11, so it's not like you need to grind 100h to be able to do it.

I'll also add that it's not a stat game and you can complete it in your first ever run, it's hard but possible. The combat is completely skill based although the random nature of loot can make it harder to get past the 3rd warp, so it's not all about grind and crunching numbers.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don´t think they updated the servers yet, can´t connect to any.

Last time I played was when the game released on early access, I was visiting peoples condos today, and man, Anime Avatars everywhere, reminds me of the VR Chat videos on youtube.
Check out the game.
Hmm, not sure how good it is but setting up your place must be nice. Ok, wishlist time !
Oh, I already have it :oofblob:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
My order for a Valve Index is still 2 to 4 weeks from giving me the option to pay. In truth I should probably not order it now with everything going on, but I suppose it will still be a few weeks before I have to make the decision.
Mine still says ships after 8 weeks. I think itll be a while before they get any stock back in.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
for all of you playing Voxelgram - looks like Blink ported all easy and normal sets from Picross 3D (the NDS one) to it :) enjoy!

that's over 220 new puzzles right there :p lol

say what you want, but this game certainly doesn't lack content ;)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Confirmed 1-year exclusive like the usual

Sauce
Yeah, they have been confirming not only the exclusivity status but also until when is up the deal since late 2019, but this goes as far as 2015, IT SHOULD BE LIKE THIS ALWAYS, mandatory to note the exclusivity status and until when will it be exclusive.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
for all of you playing Voxelgram - looks like Blink ported all easy and normal sets from Picross 3D (the NDS one) to it :) enjoy!

FINE! I'll get all the achivements.:D

Deleted member 113

I did a rare thing, and played a game online with random people. :giggle:
I just tried my first match of Bleeding Edge, and you know what, the game is actually a lot of fun.

This is one of those gaming purchases I'll never understand why I bought it, considering I don't usually play multi-player games, but the truth is a couple of hours before the game launched, I ended up pre-ordering it (after checking some videos for the first time), to give it a try.

I've been having a lot of work to do, so only today did I finally play it, and it's rather fun. It does require some decent team coordination, and some care with the class choices (my team didn't, and we ended up being badly beaten; it's bad news when the match ends, and I'm the best player in my team in all stats :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:) but it's very enjoyable.

It has a very cool style, in terms of look and music (kind of like a punk-ish, wasteland, Jet Set Radio), the gameplay is very fluid, and plays rather well with a controller, and the game has a decent number of characters, all with their own set of skills and specials moves (and different types of characters play rather differently, which is nice). Plus, several customization options, both in terms of changing the look of your items, or using boosters you unlock to customize your build. The maps I tried kind of remind me of the Unreal Tournament series, with jump platforms, ramps, and a good size.

A lot has been written about the game being "sent out to die", and indeed the game barely had any promotion, so I'm not sure how much of a future it will have.
But honestly, the developers did a great job with the gameplay, and all it needs is some more content, more people playing it, and a few more options.
I can honestly see myself playing a few more matches, especially if anyone in here wants to give it a go one of these days.

If anyone likes the genre, maybe it's a game worth considering in a future sale.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I actually liked the little I played of Bleeding Edge on game pass, but I have so much other stuff to play that by the time I have more time for BE, it's probably dead so I didn't buy it on Steam.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Today I made a real life grocery run. In a small supermarket with people not always that far apart.
Boku Wa Mou Shindeiru ?

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

Deleted member 113

I actually liked the little I played of Bleeding Edge on game pass, but I have so much other stuff to play that by the time I have more time for BE, it's porbably dead so I didn't buy it on Steam.
At least, since it apparently has crossplay, it shouldn't be too bad finding games.
It took 30 seconds or so to get a match (less than what a match of SFV took me the last time I tried it).

Reactions: PC-tan

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I couldn't disagree more.
Everspace progression is great and meaningful and I personally felt the chance a single point made in each of the stats. Plus you can unlock other ships that fell completely differently and allow you to use completely different weapons and tactics. Add the many different warp mechanics that you'll unlock through completing side quests and the weapon upgrades throughout the run and you have a perfect mix of permanent and volatile progression.

I've completed the game dozens of times, and it's necessary to see the true ending, and I can assure you it's possible to go start-to-end in less than 30min. I can also tell you I managed my first win in run 10 or 11, so it's not like you need to grind 100h to be able to do it.

I'll also add that it's not a stat game and you can complete it in your first ever run, it's hard but possible. The combat is completely skill based although the random nature of loot can make it harder to get past the 3rd warp, so it's not all about grind and crunching numbers.
I'm with Line on this one. Improving your stats by collecting money during failed runs felt like grinding to me. While I still enjoyed it most of the time because the combat is so good, I only got past the 2nd sector once I had unlocked significantly more powerful weapons and devices. My sincere respect to you for completing the game after 11 runs. I only got to sector 7 after 40 runs and died immediately. It's not an easy game.

I'm sure it's possible to reach the last sector in 30 minutes by rushing to the next level, but I enjoyed the exploration and risk/reward factor very much. This doesn't go along with having to start all over again when dying for me.

Reactions: Swenhir

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Whats up with France all the beers being so damn strong haha, I just want to enjoy a beer while I game, and not feel a buzz after a few sips. Checked and a regular beer is damn 8%. I miss Swedish beer that only can be 3.5%.:D

Reactions: lashman

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Reactions: Yoshi

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hitman doesn't click with me, but this upgrade thing is super cryptic.
I have Hitman 1, Hitman 2 free start, and yet the legacy something is super not free.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Definitely lol. I hope it's less confusing for the next game.
I read that Hitman 2 will be launcher for the third part. Not sure if it's true. But I hope there will be a way to migrate the progress

Anyone wanna try the multiplayer mode in Hitman 2 with me?

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoshi

Deleted member 113

Hitman doesn't click with me, but this upgrade thing is super cryptic.
I have Hitman 1, Hitman 2 free start, and yet the legacy something is super not free.
That's because you probably own HITMAN 1, but not HITMAN 1 GOTY (which includes an additional campaign, and a few other bonuses), so you don't own all the content from those packs.

Indeed, the options could be more clear, but it's basically this:

-if you don't own anything from HITMAN 1, you need the GOTY Legacy Pack, and you will get everything from the previous game, including the GOTY content:

-if you own HITMAN 1 already (the "plain" , non-GOTY edition), and want to get the missing content (additional campaign, items, ...) you need to buy the GOTY Legacy Pack Upgrade:

-if you own Hitman 1 GOTY, like I did, after you launch HITMAN 2 for the first time Steam will show you as owning the GOTY Legacy Pack, so you don't need to buy anything to get all the content from the previous game.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Man, thanks again for posting this yesterday.

I dropped 5 or 6 hours into it and am completely smitten.

Part CK2/Total War, part Mario RPG, Plebby deftly straddles the line between depth & accessibility. Contains all the pillars of big-boy strategy titles...diplomacy, trade, research, army composition, etc. Then injects quick & fun mini-games into the mix (tile matching, etc.) that are novel without being overbearing. Battles play out in real time with a side-view push/pull mechanics between opposing sides as you shift your unit types offensively & defensively.

Sports striking art & animation, with satisfying menu navigation that pops with life. The game has a charming look & feel that you just don't see much in a genre that's typically so self-serious. Special shout out to the extended Scenario mode where you play as 3 different rulers in a sort of extended tutorial/story mode. The emotive characters & writing are absolutely hilarious. Feels way more fleshed out than I expected and completely won me over. Great learning curve to boot. The only ding I would mention is that occasionally the translation is spotty (dev team is Korean). Nothing egregious, but you notice it once in a while.

Overall it feels like a lot of thought and TLC went into this production. It's way deeper than it looks on the surface but at the same time is refreshingly approachable. Big thumbs up.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Take note that that's, like, 5% of Picross 3D content.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im tempted to play Indivisible via PC game pass, but I also want to play it via Steam. Hmmm...

Daoko64

Feb 26, 2020

Part CK2/Total War, part Mario RPG, Plebby deftly straddles the line between depth & accessibility. Contains all the pillars of big-boy strategy titles...diplomacy, trade, research, army composition, etc. Then injects quick & fun mini-games into the mix (tile matching, etc.) that are novel without being overbearing. Battles play out in real time with a side-view push/pull mechanics between opposing sides as you shift your unit types offensively & defensively.

Sports striking art & animation, with satisfying menu navigation that pops with life. The game has a charming look & feel that you just don't see much in a genre that's typically so self-serious. Special shout out to the extended Scenario mode where you play as 3 different rulers in a sort of extended tutorial/story mode. The emotive characters & writing are absolutely hilarious. Feels way more fleshed out than I expected and completely won me over. Great learning curve to boot. The only ding I would mention is that occasionally the translation is spotty (dev team is Korean). Nothing egregious, but you notice it once in a while.

Overall it feels like a lot of thought and TLC went into this production. It's way deeper than it looks on the surface but at the same time is refreshingly approachable. Big thumbs up.
Awesome :D your welcome.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hey a bit Off topic but i know there is a strong rice cooker contingent here on MC so.....

Ive got some wholemeal rice. I cooked some the other night in my rice cooker but it came out not totally done. I did the same as i do with normal rice and so my question is should i be adding more water for wholemeal? There arent any settings on my rice cooker, you just fill'er up and hit the go button.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

Damn. That’s some glowing review, interesting (y)

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
FFVII showed up for me today and it had a sticker right on the front of it about the exclusivity window which is good for the customer to know. I also love the console experience of putting a disc in and now waiting an hour for the fucking game to finish copying files. The definitive version next year can't come soon enough.

Reactions: C-Dub and PC-tan

Deleted member 113

I'm finally playing Dandy Dungeon (I had a problem that was making me unable to play the game, due to my OS's language, that the developer fixed with the latest patch), and like the developer's other game available on Steam (BLACK BIRD), it's incredibly charming. :cat-heart-blob:

Those familiar with studio head's Yoshiro Kimura's past titles, like Little King's Story, Chulip, Moon: Remix RPG, and more, will probably have an idea about the game's charm.

It's basically a simple, but addictive puzzle/rpg, full of character, with a catchy soundtrack, some lovely pixel graphics, and an utterly ridiculous, over-the-top, meta storyline. It starts off very simple, but as the main character, a programmer, keeps working and adding to his game, you will gradually have more equipment options, upgrades, silly collectables and information, and more.
It's a nice "pick-up-and-play" game, and a nice diversion from more complex, and time-consuming games.

There's a demo available on Steam, for those who wish to try it.
And do consider trying it, if it's something you think you may like.

Here's a trailer:

The game is currently on sale, and a recent update added a sequel (?!) to the game for free, essentially doubling the previous amount of content:

As a side note, this sequel/update includes collaborations with other industry people, like:

-Nobuo Uematsu (composer of many titles, including several Final Fantasy entries):

-ZUN (Touhou Project):

And more:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, here I am, at the final chapters of Doom Eternal (I guess?) and I'm having a blast! the level design is really good, visually is spectacular, gameplay is fast and brutal and the story is interesting, it's an absolute joy of game.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

Wow. Nicely done.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

This is kinda interesting. Meeple Station has been on my Wishlist forever as it kinda looked like RimWorld in space. Not as deep of course, but in the same universe at least. Maybe closer to Gnomoria.

Well I got an email saying it went 1.0 and got a nice -25% launch discount. Cool.

Went to the Steam page and they also had a discounted dev bundle that coupled Regions Of Ruin & Meeple Station @ -68%. Well guess what game was being given away for free less than a week ago? That would be one Regions Of Ruin.

So on launch day I was able to nab Meeple (reg. $19.99) for $7.49! Yowzers.

Early 1.0 reviews look Mixed, but I don't mind as the premise and EA vids I saw always looked great.

Cripes this whole Covid/WFH thing is gonna drive me into the poorhouse!

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I've been getting Grand Fantasia ads on socmed lately (I was targeted for Albion previously). Wow, this thing is still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.