Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
They're mercifully shorter at least.
And I didn't think they were too bad... except near the end maybe.
As for motion blur,
I always stuck in some shit.
And motion blur in Ori 2 is HORRIBLE (at least you can tune it and disable completely).

BlueOdin

เถž
Dec 3, 2018
Is there a difference between GOG and Steam when it comes to Gothic 3? The first one had a newer version on GOG. But since the game is currently on sale on Steam I am considering to pick it up there. If I have to jump through more hoops even if it is just one I might wait for a sale on GOG.

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Call me crazy but I actually like motion blur when playing on my TV especially if the game is capped at 60fps like Sekiro for example. Makes the game feel smoother.

However on my high refresh monitor I always hope that the devs separate camera and per-object motion blur so I can disable the former.

Additionally disable DOF, CA and Vignette.
I usually leave the default settings for DOF, CA etc. and only turn them off if they are too distracting or look extremely bad.

ใ€ŒEchoใ€

็ซœใฎ้ญ”ๅฅณใ€‚
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Yeah, that's the other thing. I play on a 4K TV with local dimming and other modern tech not usually found in monitors.

I often ponder if that's why a lot of post-processing stuff doesn't bug me so much compared to other PC Gamers. Same with FPS. I'm not so miffed about it as long as I have 30 or 60 and there is no tearing.

Upscaling as well. I don't mind stretching things a bit, like say 1800p>2160p. I always buy Sony TV's, and the chips in them are top-of-the-line for upscaling and image processing (best in the industry I believe). But I know my fellow PC gamers absolutely swear by native res on monitors.

Deleted member 113

Is there any good deal around, with the pre-order bonuses, for Trials of Mana?
Sadly, you don't get the usual 20% subscriber discount on Humble, and Fanatical has a decent price, but they "burned me" on a previous pre-order, so I want to avoid them for pre-orders.

Li Kao

Itโ€™s a strange world. Letโ€™s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I think I will nuke the not yet released part of my wishlist.
It's a little sad as keeping things in check can be cool, but...
  • I keep up with the good releases here
  • I'm no dev hype check machine
  • The day when Steam pulls its head and give us folders will be another story

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's like motion blur is being applied to everything but the character? Or is that indeed the TAA artifacting?
That could be either a motion blur or TAA artifact, and it's probably due to disocclusion like Swenhir mentioned.

FWIW, the motion blur greatly affecting the background but not your character is working as intended: your character is much closer to the camera so, relatively, it's not moving nearly as much.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
When I start a game, I also immediately disable motion blur and chromatic abberation. I'm unsure why anyone likes that stuff, and seeing CA make its way into movies was even more jarring. Big yikes from me to these effects and devs using them as standard.
I also push the FOV slider to 100-105, if there is one.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
We could create perfect, pristine images in games. At least on an internal level, it would still be "falsified" by our displays. Instead people are trying their best to recreate imperfections that exist because of cameras and lenses. While cameras were created to take realistic snapshots of moments and never tried to imitate the look of paintings.
Could you imagine music companies trying to imitate the imperfections of first Gramophones instead of giving their best to produce the best and most nuanced and clear sound possible? Sounds useless and like backward thinking? Yeah, chromatic aberration also sounds unnecessary to me.

At least this stuff can be turned off, most of the time and everybody can decide. So everybody can get what he likes and that's fine.

For the artistic vision argument: We are also watching movies that were created for cinemas on relatively small smartphones, listen to analog music through digital streaming, use reshade or even use mods to unlock 60fps modes instead of the intended 30fps. It's my game and my experience and I'll mod it to my pleasing, independent of how it was intended to be played.
But if somebody doesn't want to... also great.
That's the beauty of an open platform like PC!

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Errr thanks, but no thanks
Without wanting to insult the industry I'm part of, I would never want to run anything written by a game company at ring 0 in my OS.

Brrr.

I guess I'm lucky to an extent since I'm not really into competitive online multiplayer anyway. The most competitive I got in the past decade was Dark Souls invasions :p

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Without wanting to insult the industry I'm part of, I would never want to run anything written by a game company at ring 0 in my OS.

Brrr.

I guess I'm lucky to an extent since I'm not really into competitive online multiplayer anyway. The most competitive I got in the past decade was Dark Souls invasions :p
I couldn't agree more. I've seen how code is written in the industry and I'm pretty sure the engineers wouldn't be listened to when trying to explain that kernel-level code takes time and planning and has a requirement to be hardened orders of magnitude more than even engine code.

Not to mention that I really don't want any anyone getting out of user-land for this kind of reason, let alone this particular Tencent-owned company.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Oh I didnt even know you got those free. I have every Fallout game on Steam already, I just wanted to try 76 "single player" for a reasonable price.
edit.

Wait they extended to April 28th Fallout 76 โ€“ Special Steam Offers so maybe I can find a cheap key for bethesda launcher!

I saw the offer was extended too and on the heels of positive early Wastelanders impressions, nabbed a Beth key from GP for $20.

Redeemed it through the Bethesda launcher, no problem. When I went to link my Steam account I realized that I'd already done so some time recently, prob. in anticipation for this offer but I somehow forgot that I did.

Anyway, now I'm just waiting for my Steam licence to pop off before digging in. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like an instant process as others seem to be waiting on their Steam licences as well.

Of course now I'm all paranoid that I got some timing order wrong and I'm ineligible, lol. (i.e. linked Steam account before activating 76 Bethesda key, activated 76 after the 12th, etc.).

Guess we'll see.

Reactions: Li Kao

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
PSO2 will launch exclusively on MS Store.

This must be a decision by someone else than MS.

Forbes can also be wrong as the press kit for the game mentioned Steam and I don't see MS having any intention of not releasing the game on Steam. It must be a SEGS decision. Gears Tactics releasing on Steam, but not PSO2? lol

Also, for PC game pass:

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So I started Anodyne 2, and it is weird. But more than usual.
Like, can someone explain:

And it does look like that normally.
It's certainly a choice...

Worst thing is, how the hell do you even explain a game like this?
It's like Zelda, Mario 64, Guitar Hero, LSD Dream Simulator and Transformers had a baby.
Can't wait to finish it to put my thoughts in order, and if the post game is just as batshit insane as the first game, ti's gonna be fun.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Forbes can also be wrong as the press kit for the game mentioned Steam and I don't see MS having any intention of not releasing the game on Steam. It must be a SEGS decision. Gears Tactics releasing on Steam, but not PSO2? lol
This is totally a deal between SEGA and MS, a regular third party exclusivity for certain ecosystem, nothing to do with SEGA/Valve relationship and MS/Valve relationship, I don't know why people are thinking about those unrelated things, if MS helped sega with PSO2 it's more than probably that they have like 1-year exclusivity or something like that.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

I guess we'll see an announcement later today, maybe.
I wonder what they'll do about anti-cheating though, since the JP version uses Gameguard... (which is bad)...

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Is it actually 60 FPS? Last I tried it just speeds up the game to produce twice as many frames, not interpolating existing animation to play at 60 FPS.

I wish Geofronts programmers could just release the source code to their patch for Zero and let people figure out how to apply it to Ao.
I'm not as sensitive to frame rate as some, so I can't really answer yoir question, but the source for it is on GitHub so feel free to look for yourself at what it is doing.

I definitely have to turn off the turbo and higher fps when playing the minigames. It does make them run weird. Thankfully I suck at at Pom! So it isn't very different.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Keeping my progress through DkSR and I just killed the Four Kings, now I need to decide which area to go now.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Dates a week back but just now "discovered".
It really feels like it's lacking that last 10% of polish on the animations to make them feel impactful. They have this problem where they don't feel like they connect despite the small impact freeze-frame.

I expect Ori 2 to make me cry at some point.
Won't spoil, but many of the story beats of the game are achingly well-delivered.

Also, finally giving MH:W a shot.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Here are some of the modifications you can expect ( non exhaustive list) :
  • 64 bits engine
  • UHD textures ( and even 8 k)
  • Enhanced NPC and mutants models ( 30- 70 k poly for NPC and 20- 40k for mutants)
  • 4k skyboxes
  • Modern visual effects like Global illumination or HQ ambient occlusion
  • Vegetation overhaul ( Bump mapped leaves and textures overhaul)
  • Particle system reworked with particles collision
  • Custom weather
  • Soft shadows / Grass shadows
  • Motion blur enabled
  • 2k ( and even 4K in some cases) Bump map
Coming to non-Patreons in the coming months.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Cross-post from BST.
I'm looking to replace my DualShock 3 controller. Been using it as my PC gamepad for a decade now and it's giving in.

So, I'm on the lookout for a used Xbox One controller or DualShock 4. to use on my PC.
A working one of course.

(I'm very well aware of the current situation and know many can't go out at all.
But there are still regions where postal services are ongoing and lockdowns aren't too drastic.)

I'm in Germany, so people close-by and Europe are the obvious goals here.
I know, the timing is super bad.

Reactions: lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Oh look, a game that might run over 20fps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.