Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2018
You say that as if it's a sure thing. Yes, it was fixed for China and some SA countries. But the fact is, they never fixed Horizon regional pricing for a lot of regions. It's still sub $20 dollars in 8 countries, and sub $30 in 20 countries.

Just take a look at steamdb. Horizon is never fixed on EGS too.
I'm saying they'll match the price, my instinct is to believe that the one on steam is the one they intended to have. That said holy shit the difference with HZD is huge (the converted price for the cheapest region for HZD is 11€ the cheapest for Days gone is nearly triple)

Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I'm saying they'll match the price, my instinct is to believe that the one on steam is the one they intended to have. That said holy shit the difference with HZD is huge (the converted price for the cheapest region for HZD is 11€ the cheapest for Days gone is nearly triple)
There are times when EGS price is lower and they never fixed it. Notable examples are Fallen Order and Control which were never fixed until they reduced the base price on Steam a year later so that they reached price parity.

What regions are you talking about?
My region, Indonesia. Sadly there's no way to compare the prices on EGS like Steamdb besides using VPN. But what i know is that wh[UWSL]en there were news about price getting fixed, it was mostly about China and SA countries like Argentina because they tend to get the lowest price. There are more EGS users in Era and they can give the testimony about how the prices were never fixed for them.[/UWSL]

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
On both EGS and Steam, publishers decide pricing, not the platform. The platform just suggests pricing (which is properly regionally adjusted on Steam, and probably EGS too though I don't know that first hand).

I don't think what's happening here and in a few other cases has anything to do with the platform policies, and more with the publishers simply not paying as much attention to their EGS listings just like gamers.
So it's more that Sony forgot to actually check the regional pricing on EGS in detail.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So it's more that Sony forgot to actually check the regional pricing on EGS in detail.
correct ... because they set the pricing themselves on steam ... but they can't do that on egs, so they had to let that one intern that works on the store do it ... so they probably just gave them the base price in USD, and epic just copies steam's default regional pricing (like they always do)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The worst thing about this situation is that we can only vent on boards like this and nothing will change. There's nothing we could do and we have no allies. In fact, lately games are still doing so well on PC without regional pricing. [UWSL]Also, the majority of people who read our ramblings wouldn't be able to relate to our situation as they live in a country where you make at least $50k+ a year and/or can work in a McD or as a cashier for a few hours to buy a new game. $60, or even $70, is nothing for them, so it might even be annoying to see us complaining about regional pricing every day. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]It's like screaming into the void.[/UWSL]

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The worst thing about this situation is that we can only vent on boards like this and nothing will change. There's nothing we could do and we have no allies. In fact, lately games are still doing so well on PC without regional pricing. [UWSL]Also, the majority of people who read our ramblings wouldn't be able to relate to our situation as they live in a country where you make at least $50k+ a year and/or can work in a McD or as a cashier for a few hours to buy a new game. $60, or even $70, is nothing for them, so it might even be annoying to see us complaining about regional pricing every day. [/UWSL]

yeah ... it's disappointing ... and infuriating

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

And all is due to no good reason. F1 2021 would have been the same game without EA. They just got rid of the price because they can.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I don't understand why anyone expects Sony to announce any PC port at one of their Playstation events.
They have a complicated relationship with some of their fans who are at the same time the most dedicated and most toxic, and Sony surely doesn't want to upset their fragile state of mind with an announcement like that
This. Sony announcing a BB port at Playstation even is like the Pope announcing that they are going atheist at mass. It's the right thing to do but it's still going to piss off that particular crowd.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata

And then in a few years we'll get post mortems about how people in our regions are all filthy pirates who've been stealing everything they make. I can already see the busy fingers at work writing them.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

I think the only real change that can come from this is more transparency about how regional pricing affects the revenue of games.
Maybe Valve could release some anonymised data on this, showing how titles with and without good regional pricing compare. If you can show to companies thatt they are loosing money on this, maybe they'll start to treat it as a way to make their game more accessible to markets all over the world. There are also tools to region block cheaper keys for resellers as well, if that's the worry.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I kinda wanna make a list of RPGs or games on steam that have a character creator.
Dark Souls' character creator got me intrigued in wanting to go through games with a brown character :steam_pigblanket:

Reactions: Ascheroth

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sigh, youtube started asking id or cc info to verify my age to view age rated videos (like game trailers). I've got this account since 2006, chances are I'm an adult.

And it doesn't ask me on my phone only on desktop. I've bought stuff on Google Play before even so I did input cc info at some point even if without saving it :suicide-blob:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Sigh, youtube started asking id or cc info to verify my age to view age rated videos (like game trailers). I've got this account since 2006, chances are I'm an adult.

And it doesn't ask me on my phone only on desktop. I've bought stuff on Google Play before even so I did input cc info at some point even if without saving it :suicide-blob:
Yeah, I have had this for 4 months and refused every time.

nsfwyoutube will bypass it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Yeah, I have had this for 4 months and refused every time.

nsfwyoutube will bypass it.
I just search for the trailer on youtube and chances are another source has it without the age gate, lol. Even equally official like Konami Japan in this case.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018

AFAIK, Steam does not let you outright disable updates or prevent them. The moment any of us with a good Automata install launch the game after patch, we're fucked.

So i mean... cool, i can turn off auto-updates. I'll also just never be able to play it again exactly how i have it. 🙃
Bit late, but I actually did eventually have a workaround to this I did for a couple VR games that had bad updates I had to prevent / remove. It worked with both of them (Beat Saber and Until You Fall) but not sure if different games handle their update tracking differently in Steam.

You need to make a full copy of the game folder - literally copy+paste it. I did it in the same directory for ease but you could do it elsewhere. Rename it to something so you know it's the unupdated version, and chill on it for a while. When the update hits, let Steam update your "real" Nier folder, and then rename that one, and paste the unupdated folder in and name it the "real" folder name (I don't own Nier so I don't know what it is). Steam thinks the game is updated, and doesn't seem to check periodically if it is or not (which isn't surprising, that would be a lot of overhead for people with hundreds of games installed). So when you launch it from Steam it just looks for the exe in the folder with the right name and you should be good to go (until another update).

Downloading old versions from Steam does work, but you need a third party tool to enable it, and I still had to do that folder-rename workaround to launch it from Steam (which, since it was a VR game, I think I had to).

Devs have the option to easily have old versions (even if they only did major updates) available as other branches, but essentially none do. Steam retains those anyway, I'm not even sure if you can clear them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.