Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Not to be outdone by the original, the knock off released footage too, and continues to look great 👌
Holy moly, thank you for bringing this to my attention this game looks stellar.

Also, how is the PC version of Saga Frontier?

Shadow Man Remastered looks really interesting, I think I only played the N64 version if I recall when I was really little and it was just okay, but I think that was more of it being on N64 than anything. At the time I do not think I realized it was on PC or even PlayStation.

Reactions: Tomasety

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Anyone played Foregone? It looks very fun but I need feedback. Cause I read some people reviews and they say its a copy and paste from Dead Cells

Not that I have any problem with it at all. But if it got a unique gameplay then I might dive in

I second this. God bless my Kratos beard
copy and paste from Dead Cells? I thought it wasn’t even a roguelite?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Also, how is the PC version of Saga Frontier?
Based on my own observation, early Steam reviews seem positive. Looking at the screenshots posted on Steam Community, it seems like the AI upscaling has done a good job for the most part, although some odd scenes it still doesn't look sharp enough. I couldn't find any screenshots of the System screen yet, but resolution settings seems to be locked to 1080p.

From the sound of it, the PC-related features are rather bare-bones as expected. No words yet about the localisation quality, or whether they've fixed the issues from the original PSX release. And finally, we already know about the mobile-esque UI, so not much we can do about that. Anyway, I'm kind of curious about the game myself, so I've picked it up from GMG.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Microsoft doesn't make sense since they have so many timed deals with Sony already in place. MS would have to wait a while for FF16, FF7r.

Tho it would give huge boost to gamepass catalogue but I don't know if its worth it.

So yea its gotta be Sony. They realized no point in constantly flushing money down the toilet for deals when you can just outright buy them.

• Eyes

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Based on my own observation, early Steam reviews seem positive. Looking at the screenshots posted on Steam Community, it seems like the AI upscaling has done a good job for the most part, although some odd scenes it still doesn't look sharp enough. I couldn't find any screenshots of the System screen yet, but resolution settings seems to be locked to 1080p.

From the sound of it, the PC-related features are rather bare-bones as expected. No words yet about the localisation quality, or whether they've fixed the issues from the original PSX release. And finally, we already know about the mobile-esque UI, so not much we can do about that. Anyway, I'm kind of curious about the game myself, so I've picked it up from GMG.
That is good to note, I am thinking about picking it up from GMG too. Probably would have grabbed it directly from Steam just for the option to refund if there was a discount justttt in case.

Wait...what!?!? I did not think SE would have any interest in being acquired. I assume if it is multiple companies considering offers, at least Microsoft and Sony would be in the running. There are other possibilities, but...

• Comfy
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Kvik

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
No matter who it is its good that most FF games are already on Steam. Legacy preserved to some degree lol.

I can see Kingdom Hearts games being stuck in purgatory tho if whoever buys Square decides not to release them on Steam next year :(

• Eyes

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I dislike these acquisitions in general, they do bad things to creative output and resulting in the homogenisation of their future games. Especially these days when large publishers keep raising the price of single-player games and leaning heavily towards service games. I don't need this kind of world line.

I will also disagree with anyone who tries to frame these acquisitions as a good thing for people who like Squeenix's games. This is not a good thing at all.

Last edited:

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
I was thinking maybe Square would consider selling their western studios since that seems more plausible but the whole company being acquired?! I don't know.....
There are interested parties sure but I don't think this is gonna lead anywhere.

• Eyes

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
My baseless guess is they bet big on the shitty avengers game that tanked and lost all their big boy dollars and haven't really had any big successes lately
Yea them making deals with EGS is kind of a sign too. Its becoming a pattern. Gearbox, Obsidian, 4A. All of them getting acquired soon after lol.

These devs/pubs are desperate for $$$. Game dev is becoming so expensive even giant pubs want that giant comfort blanket from big corporations. Its hard to say no when companies are throwing around 10+ billion with ease.

Now that I think about it a bit more I can see Microsoft buying Square and continue letting them support the Switch in Japan/West. Meanwhile their PC/Xbox support will be strongest ever so basically they'll only be saying goodbye to Sony which wouldn't be a big deal to them if the Microsoft check is fat enough. It could work and it would be fucking crazy

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
My baseless guess is they bet big on the shitty avengers game that tanked and lost all their big boy dollars and haven't really had any big successes lately
They don't just make games and I am not sure how their other non game division are going but if you look at companies like SEGA and Konami, sure diversifying is good but when something happens all of a sudden that has them operation on losses (???) You have to either close those divisions are outright sell them.

Let me guess is one of those companies tencent?

Also I have not read the article but is it to outright buy them?

I have doubts that it's Sony since Sony has dropped the ball with it's on Japanese IPs and is just focusing on it's really popular Western AAA titles to the point that some of the Japan Studios people have left over the last year to do other stuff.

It's possible that the biggest issue there was creating a new IP that would be very popular and those existing SIE Japanese properties were niche to begin with and what really brought people in to playstation were the third party "exclusives" that people heavily associated to the PlayStation name. And if that were the cases then buying SE would make sense and they would use SE to make Japanese titles (they would likely give up on the western titles though or at least make those multi platform, so stuff like Life is Strange would be multiplatform if they kept doing those)

but then you would have the issue of what happens to the nongaming divisions? Sony has multiple divisions itself but the PlayStation one is the one that kept it from going out of business. Would they just sell those off? Or for the manga stuff would they just add that to Aniplex or something?

And how much would buying SE cost? Like $6 billion USD or something? I'm sure that SE is very big and stuff but I doubt that even with all of their popular IPs and stuff that they are worth say more than $10 billion USD.

• Eyes

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Now that I think about it a bit more I can see Microsoft buying Square and continue letting them support the Switch in Japan/West. Meanwhile their PC/Xbox support will be strongest ever so basically they'll only be saying goodbye to Sony which wouldn't be a big deal to them if the Microsoft check is fat enough. It could work and it would be fucking crazy
To be honest, if it has to happen then yeah I hope it's Microsoft. That way, at least for the foreseeable future we're guaranteed continued (improved?) PC support with Steam releases. And as a nice little bonus, Sony gets fucked over for their years of bullshit timed exclusivity deals.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
My best to worst scenario:

1. Stay independent: I honestly don't think SQEX need direct buyout. They have made so many exclusive deals with different parties. Those money should be able to tide them over the loss from Avenger.

2. Microsoft: Games still come to PC and they can continue making those big RPGs on platforms with good hardware. Microsoft seem to be pretty hands-off towards their subsidiaries so far.

3. Nintendo: Everything will be stuck on Switch. SQEX won't be able to continue making big RPGs, but they may cooperate with other Nintendo divisions (ie. Monolith Soft) to make games (GIMME XENOGEAR REMAKE). However, this would also mean Nintendo owning the majority of the JRPG market, which is definitely not a good thing.

4. Sony: Everything will be stuck on PS5 for a few years to come. Sony does not care about legacy content so remasters like SaGa Frontier Remastered will disappear.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
1. Stay independent: I honestly don't think SQEX need direct buyout. They have made so many exclusive deals with different parties. Those money should be able to tide them over the loss from Avenger.
Agreed. With exclusivity deals with Sony and EGS and profits from their succesful games they should have help them regain the loss.

• This!
Reactions: Cacher

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
My best to worst scenario:

2. Microsoft: Games still come to PC and they can continue making those big RPGs on platforms with good hardware. Microsoft seem to be pretty hands-off towards their subsidiaries so far.

3. Nintendo: Everything will be stuck on Switch. SQEX won't be able to continue making big RPGs, but they may cooperate with other Nintendo divisions (ie. Monolith Soft) to make games (GIMME XENOGEAR REMAKE). However, this would also mean Nintendo owning the majority of the JRPG market, which is definitely not a good thing.

4. Sony: Everything will be stuck on PS5 for a few years to come. Sony does not care about legacy content so remasters like SaGa Frontier Remastered will disappear.
5. Sqeenix sells off Eidos and the rest of their western/euro holdings, but the Japanese studios stay independent

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Considering how awful SE's leadership has been since... pretty much ever, I don't think we'd notice much of a difference if they were bought by whomever.
Random exclusives, games stuck in Japan, terribad spin offs, shitty mobile games axed after a year, broken ass ports all over the place?
Can't be any worse.

But now that some people are actually giving a shit about doing decent ports of their old games, that would suck. Especially if it was Sony, they'd actively erase any mention of any JRPG ever released on PS1.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Considering how awful SE's leadership has been since... pretty much ever, I don't think we'd notice much of a difference if they were bought by whomever.
Random exclusives, games stuck in Japan, terribad spin offs, shitty mobile games axed after a year, broken ass ports all over the place?
Can't be any worse.

But now that some people are actually giving a shit about doing decent ports of their old games, that would suck. Especially if it was Sony, they'd actively erase any mention of any JRPG ever released on PS1.
Don't forget ridiculous pricing.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Would be interesting to see Sony take over a company the size of Square Enix. Whereas a Microsoft has the cash reserves to easily handle a buyout that costs billions, I'm not sure Sony is in the same position. And just to put into context: Zenimax was 7.5 billion, Square Enix would almost certainly be above 10, probably far more if you consider the IPs involved, and how they are still releasing AAA games very regularly.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ok, here's my opinion about this.

First of all, fuck you Avengers, you are a fucking problem as a product because of bad management from Square Enix (Crystal Dynamics are good developers and this game clearly has problems due to unrealistic SE ambitions)

That being said, my take of this acquisition is that everybody looses but companies and some par of the fandom (buyers, not SE) and this is why.

Sony - Absolutely wants to eliminate legacy content which is at this moment the best thing SE offers with IPs such as SaGa or Mana, console exclusivity as I don't see how they would come to PC at the very least which after seeing the PS3, Vita PSP stores you might know already why PC is important and of course I just can see a focus on the big IPs such as FF.

MS - similar problems to Sony but legacy and PC aren't a problem at first glimpse, however, I don't see how MS could manage SE, either way, I have a feeling that they would probably focus on the western side of the company instead of the japanese, however, MS could benefit from small IPs for their Gamepass service line-up so, who knows.

Anyway, I don't like acquisitions.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Square Enix being acquired by anyone would make me puke, but it's not going to happen.

ANYWAYS BOYS

NIER COMING SOON

WITH NEW FUCKING CONTENT

Steam version Preordered ✅
PS4 CE Preordered ✅
OST Preordered ✅

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Ok, here's my opinion about this.

First of all, fuck you Avengers, you are a fucking problem as a product because of bad management from Square Enix (Crystal Dynamics are good developers and this game clearly has problems due to unrealistic SE ambitions)

That being said, my take of this acquisition is that everybody looses but companies and some par of the fandom (buyers, not SE) and this is why.

Sony - Absolutely wants to eliminate legacy content which is at this moment the best thing SE offers with IPs such as SaGa or Mana, console exclusivity as I don't see how they would come to PC at the very least which after seeing the PS3, Vita PSP stores you might know already why PC is important and of course I just can see a focus on the big IPs such as FF.

MS - similar problems to Sony but legacy and PC aren't a problem at first glimpse, however, I don't see how MS could manage SE, either way, I have a feeling that they would probably focus on the western side of the company instead of the japanese, however, MS could benefit from small IPs for their Gamepass service line-up so, who knows.

Anyway, I don't like acquisitions.
If anything MS would leave Eastern part of SE alone and maybe help reshape Western part. So far everyone under MS is basically left alone to make whatever they want.

• Eyes

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Doesn't see any news site picking up this news, so I translated this bit from the following SaGa livestream summary article from Famitsu
番組の最後の挨拶にて、サガシリーズ総合ディレクター・河津秋敏氏が『サガ』の新作を準備中であることを明らかにした。

さらに、過去作の現行機化については、まだ『ロマンシング サガ』『サガフロンティア2』『アンリミテッド:サガ』が残っていることについて触れ、「その辺のタイトルもなんとか出していけるように、皆さんがいつでも遊べるように考えています」とコメントした。
During the ending greetings, SaGa series general producer, Akitoshi Kawazu, revealed that new SaGa title is in preparation.

In addition, regarding porting old titles to modern consoles, he touched on the fact that "Romancing SaGa", "SaGa Frontier 2", "Unlimited SaGa" are still remaining, and commented that "they are thinking how to release those titles so that people can play them at anytime".

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Wouldn't it be better that Square Enix splits the company? Square Enix seems to have handled the Eidos part very badly ever since they acquired the company. Sell the Eidos branch and continue with their Japanese branch...

• Eyes

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
A bit more info about Saga Frontier Remastered. First impression: this port is kind of scuffed.

The game is using Unity engine. As I gathered, the maximum resolution settings is 1080p. Apart from resolution and screen mode (windowed/borderless/fullscreen), the only other PC features available is the key/controller remap.

The game ignores Unity command-line flags --screen-width and --screen-height, but luckily with SpecialK, we can force the game to scale the window resolution to our native resolution. This is not to be confused with the internal rendering resolution, however.

Lastly, the game seems to ignore G-sync with borderless window mode. Although this may be an issue with Unity engine since I had similar trouble with Battletech (which also runs on Unity) in the past.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
In what order should I play these 4 games with my remaining EA Play time? They are all 70-80 range on critic reviews, so none really truly stand out above others in that sense.

Fe
Unravel
Unravel 2
Sea of Solitude

I have about a week left and I know they are all short games, so in the end I might end up playing through them all. But if I happen to be busy and only have time for couple of them, I'd like some opinions. Thanks! :blobmorning2:

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger
Status
Not open for further replies.