Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
SE woes is an interesting topic. We can discuss it for hours. But then I'm afraid all there is to it is that yuraya is right and FF is a dead brand.
Now, fucking terrifying but not without merits, maybe it's JRPG as a whole that are dying.
RPGs whether they are "J" or not are just fine. Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth is an RPG. Sea of Stars, Unicorn Overlord, Eiyuden Chronicles, Trails, etc. the list goes on and on.

Tons of RPGs are being made at every level of production from AAAA to indie. Just because SE can't figure it out, there's nothing to worry about for the genre.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Nothing beats Final Fantasy XII for me. Amazing world building, great cast (aside from Van who appears in it for some reason) absolutely god like translation and voice acting. I liked the combat system that you could modify to basically play itself for most simple mobs. Great PC port too. Still the only game that allows you to quickly show the current keyboard layout without needing to delve into menus.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The internet is so thirsty today. Or it's me.
First that Yakuza Cabaret VN, and now that horrible gacha. Horrible, horrible. I'm bothered, and very hot.

I like the art style with hot colors, don't know if it has a name.
Isn't the art style called AI Generated? Since that's the feeling it gives off.

• Toucan
Reactions: Vantr and Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Isn't the art style called AI Generated? Since that's the feeling it gives off.
It is AI generated.
Not sure if it explains the colors. I really like the richness of the tones or whatever it's called.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Nothing beats Final Fantasy XII for me. Amazing world building, great cast (aside from Van who appears in it for some reason) absolutely god like translation and voice acting. I liked the combat system that you could modify to basically play itself for most simple mobs. Great PC port too. Still the only game that allows you to quickly show the current keyboard layout without needing to delve into menus.
I slew your king, i slew your country, lady ashe! Your fathers murdere is heeeeere

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Final Fantasy X is probably my favorite. To Zanarkand is such a good song.

I think it was the main FF composer himself that said video game OST should change. In the last couple of years they have sounded less and less like video games OST and more like OST for movies. And how people should try experimenting more in order to give their games a unique sound. I view this as a thing having to do with how some OST will use an orchestra as part of the OST, which if not a bad thing but the bad thing is how heavily some may depend on it and then when you really think about it is there anything about it that makes it sound unique and stand out?

I have never played FFX but this song has some really cool sounds in it that I like.

--------------------
Crazy how the dude worked on this amazing song only for it to be attached to a mobile game that would die out very quickly. Years from now, not many people will remember the game but they sure as heck will remember this song

--------------------
I like RPG, but I'm not a huge FF fan, the only RPG series from SE that I'm a fan of is DQ (I have all the DQ mainline games except for DQX, since I don't know Japanese.)

Reactions: Dandy

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Meh. Even forgetting Vaan, the development was so crazy ambitious only to be cut short... It was incredible, so many characters, so many nuances, then it ends like the most fucking rotten shonen shit. The whole ending soured me on this, yeah, otherwise incredible game.

Reactions: thekeats1999

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It is AI generated.
Not sure if it explains the colors. I really like the richness of the tones or whatever it's called.
I feel like by default they tend to use that color palette, I'm not sure if when they are making maybe it's because they want a mix of an anime aesthetic but also want to make it look more realistic type of thing. Since you can take photos of some people and they will look like those AI Generated photos, but in the process make the images look very photoshopped and unreal in a way.

Reactions: Li Kao

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Maybe due to my lacking experience with online games, I honestly haven't seen so many incredibly talented and passionate people in a community ever. Even the memes are actually funny. Very, very impressed by these people.
Yeah seeing talented people flex their creative muscles to create content for games you're enjoying is great.
I'm also not sure how much of that is the norm, I'm only aware of it in the context of Hoyoverse games where they even have programs showcasing such works (had just one today, and as far as I'm aware they also pay for that) or entire fanconcerts.

Some examples I can think of:

Music video about a character backstory where they somehow got NANO to do the vocals

Really cool animation about a piece of lore in the game, presented as a "play" where characters take the roles of historic figures:

Insane piano cover of a song

Song covers from an official fan concert

And lots more

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
As it occurred to you that maybe it didn't sell that well because people don't enjoy it? Or maybe because they didn't enjoy the previous one and hence aren't going to invest in the sequel? Or maybe they don't approve the direction the franchise has headed? Or maybe they already have too much on their plate since there's 10 interesting/good games releasing every week? Or a million other plausible reasons???
Why does it look like you think square is owed any sort of success or sales just by releasing a game?
They are not "owed" success but most agree Rebirth is the best game they've put out since FFX. Not best FF game, best game the entire company has put out since then. So it stands to reason they should be rewarded for that, should being the operative word. No one is "owed" success just for existing but when a company puts out a great product it'd be nice if they were rewarded for it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I slew your king, i slew your country, lady ashe! Your fathers murdere is heeeeere
What's so bad about a cheesy villain. I can still listen to virtually any cutscene from that game, and it still holds up better than pretty much any other JRPG in that department.
Meh. Even forgetting Vaan, the development was so crazy ambitious only to be cut short... It was incredible, so many characters, so many nuances, then it ends like the most fucking rotten shonen shit. The whole ending soured me on this, yeah, otherwise incredible game.
It never stops being Anime nonsense when you break it down critically. But the presentation is so superb that I can't help but like it. Goes to show what good localisation can do

Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
No one is "owed" success just for existing but when a company puts out a great product it'd be nice if they were rewarded for it.
Maybe if they simply did a normal FFVII remake fans would have rewarded them more instead of making a 3 parter (80€ a pop btw) filler padded half- sequel abomination

Also
and kill god with the power of friendship.

Worth a watch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
FF Tactics had a good story, even with a not great localization. Vagrant Story too (with a great one) though being a dungeon crawler it was spread thin. Grandia and Xenogears also had good stories (again the former with a so so localization, the usual 90s grating VA that was used mostly in combat shouts etc.). Panzer Dragoon Saga was ace. I can't think of many that wowed me plot wise, but FFIX was a fun adventure if not a true classic among others like Skies of Arcadia.

It's because of FFT I wanted more Ivalice stories but then neither the GBA FFT games nor FFXII hit its highs, still, they were in different eras, maybe one day. Well, by now with all the media we've consumed even good stuff may feel contrived or like nothing new, maybe even FFT would have hit different if I had played like all the Tactics Ogre games rather than have that be my first of its type and what not, plus it'd be hard to invest in such a game again.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan and QFNS

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Maybe if they simply did a normal FFVII remake fans would have rewarded them more instead of making a 3 parter (80€ a pop btw) filler padded half- sequel abomination
See this is exactly the thing I was talking about earlier.. The two games they've put out so far aren't perfect, they both get weird in their last 5%, but everything else about them far, FAR exceeds the original in every possible aspect. The characters are leaps and bounds ahead of their original paper-thin versions (which to be fair for 1997 they were great, it's just nowadays it's basic), the combat is so much better it's not even worth going into detail, the towns actually look and feel like towns instead of the 3-5 buildings they were back then.

If there's anything SE needs to do outside of multiplat it's to go the fire emblem route and cast off the bitter minority that holds the IP back and just wants the series to remain in 1997 forever. No company can ever win with a group like that weighing them down. What they want would kill the IP faster than anything.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!

The information that was leaked hasn't had an article about it yet, so whatever was in the leak probably was bad.

One of the most unhinged statements ever

What is this clown hiding?
See this is exactly the thing I was talking about earlier.. The two games they've put out so far aren't perfect, they both get weird in their last 5%, but everything else about them far, FAR exceeds the original in every possible aspect. The characters are leaps and bounds ahead of their original paper-thin versions (which to be fair for 1997 they were great, it's just nowadays it's basic), the combat is so much better it's not even worth going into detail, the towns actually look and feel like towns instead of the 3-5 buildings they were back then.

If there's anything SE needs to do outside of multiplat it's to go the fire emblem route and cast off the bitter minority that holds the IP back and just wants the series to remain in 1997 forever. No company can ever win with a group like that weighing them down. What they want would kill the IP faster than anything.
They did this with FF 16 and you shit on it constantly

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
What's so bad about a cheesy villain. I can still listen to virtually any cutscene from that game, and it still holds up better than pretty much any other JRPG in that department.

It never stops being Anime nonsense when you break it down critically. But the presentation is so superb that I can't help but like it. Goes to show what good localisation can do
That was an endorsement i love that game and can quote most major cutscenes

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
One of the most unhinged statements ever

What is this clown hiding?
Nothing unhinged about it. No sane investor/publisher would want to work with a company that has braindead employees who would leak confidential financial and contractual information to a fucking Kotaku hack of all people.

EDIT: And to jeopardize it all in this financial climate where funding is hard to come by to begin with?

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Nothing unhinged about it. No sane investor/publisher would want to work with a company that has braindead employees who would leak confidential financial and contractual information to a fucking Kotaku hack of all people.

EDIT: And to jeopardize it all in this financial climate where funding is hard to come by to begin with?
Sure man

Reactions: Dandy

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
They are not "owed" success but most agree Rebirth is the best game they've put out since FFX. Not best FF game, best game the entire company has put out since then. So it stands to reason they should be rewarded for that, should being the operative word. No one is "owed" success just for existing but when a company puts out a great product it'd be nice if they were rewarded for it.
This is where we must disagree and judging by the sale results I guess "most" agree with me when I say that their current trajectory hasn't led to their best output ever or perhaps their best output of the last few years.
You like it, I'm guessing you adore it, and that's fine, that's excellent, I'm happy for you. But "most" don't seem to.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

The information that was leaked hasn't had an article about it yet, so whatever was in the leak probably was bad.

Yikes. Wouldn't the leak start from the top to begin with, no developers needed to know anything about the financial agreements, just work for their studio :shrugblob:

After 3 years surely they should have a game too far in development for something like this to be worth wasting the investment. Not that earlier it'd make sense.

Last edited:

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Ah but you see, the real issue is that all of the nice things you wrote don't actually need a 3 parter remake at all. which is the core issue here. A remake can keep the same (or a good approximation) scope of the original and still improve over everything else, see the gamecube Resident Evil Remake, or the more recent Resident Evil 2 remake. Hell you made the perfect example with Fire Emblem. No one liked the DS FE1 remake because it did a bunch of pointless changes while still keeping the bad parts unchanged (like how Marth was the only "character" at all, and that's a big "quotation" since he is literally a wet blanket), while the 3DS FE Gaiden remake was praised for improving the cast and expanding on the original without completely changing the rest of the game
You can keep the same overall progression without adding a bunch of pointless fetch quests (like the sewer rats or Chadley). You can make the characters better, give them more dialogue and a better personality, adding voice acting without excessively extend the game size and scope. You can change the batte systems without having to reinvent the wheel
You don't need to make Midgar it's own full game to make Wedge, Biggs and Jessie better: give them more dialogues, give them more scenes, give the player a reason to care for their death, hell why not even make them (simplified) temporary party members? Same for the actual party members: the original game had the thing where only the characters in your party appeared in most scenes (outside of the most important ones) and for this reason most of their interactions where pretty bog standard, so change this, make them appear more, add extra scenes where the cast bonds or simply talks about what's going on, make Yuffie and Vincent forced party members and change the story so Wutai and the Lucretia side quests are no longer optional. None of this needs a complete remake
Do you really need an open world filled with Ubisoft towers if 80% of the story still happens at the original game locations? Then why bother: just bring back the original world map but give it an updated look. Same for the rest of the game areas. Give them a new look, add more "rooms", more npcs if it helps make the world more alive, but don't go overboard and waste years to model and texture a bunch of extra regions that serve no purpose outside of bloating the game's budget
Why do you need to shoehorn Sephiroth in the very first hour or make the last 5% of the game a mess? The original game worked, so simply keep Sephiroth/Jenova the mistery he was. You don't need to have him be the final boss 3 times in a row. Keep the impaled President Shinra, keep the impaled Midgar Zolom. What's the point of adding the Zack parts, hell why even bother with having the Zack parts at all. Despite his role in Cloud's past he is a complete noncharacter in the grand scheme of things, especially after Aerith dies
Hell why even change Aerith's death at all. Why "keep the mistery" of what happened until part 3 if the same thing will happen? And even worse why even have the possibility of having an alternate timeline Aerith and Zack appear in part 3 sice that will absolutely change the rest of the story compared to the original
You can remake FFVII and fix all of its issues, make a better battle system, bring it to a new generation, all of that while still making it "faithful" and standalone. Let's look at 2 recent remakes SE did. One is Live-A-Live: kept the original game almost unchanged but added voice acting, new graphics, new music and fixed issues. The improvements let the game be more "realized" while still being Live-A-Live. The best example is the opening song of the near future chapter, now an actual mecha anime op sang by fucking Hironobu Kageyama

And then you have Actraiser. Remade the game, remade the graphics, remade the 2d stages battle system, remade the music, fixed issues with the original, added more difficulty options, expanded on the story, even added a new post game region...
And then added a godawful tower defense forced minigame to every chapter. Why? No really why? To make the game longer? Because that's the only thing it does: make the remake take double of triple the time it took to finish originally for no benefit at all
Look at Persona 3 Reload. Completely new look, new soundtrack, additional scenes for the male party members (which lacked Social Links in the original), full voice acting, but deep inside it's the same story, with the same base progression and the same ending, so someone who never played the original can play it and still be able to then talk about it with someone who instead played the original PS2 release (or Portable). And most of all it doesn't have some obvious padding just to make the original game longer. This is the most important thing in a remake: allow a new generation who would never play the original because it's too archaic to try it on their own terms without fucking it up. Remake and Rebirth failed at this, and worse of it all making it a 3 parter is simply an excuse to ask for 3 times the money from fans. It's time to admit it: the game is in 3 parts just to make more money, it's not because of the director "vision" and it's not to make the game better. It's just a cynical moneygrab and I'm happy fans decided their money is best spend elsewhere

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
For me personally, both Remake and Rebirth was dissapointing storywise and I will not be buing the 3rd game day 1 because of that. I finished Rebirth, but didn't bother with any non-main story related stuff, will leave that for the PC version.

Rebirth is a decent game, but has a ton of flaws and I don't understand the perfect scores for it.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
My 2 cents for Rebirth is that they had their heart in a good place, but probably at the worst moment in the trilogy.

I love the cities in Rebirth (well, except Cosmo Canyon because I don't like the new take on it, but that's on me), I love how it doesn't hesitate to be silly and funny (even when it's just weird like when you reach the Gold Saucer, a complete wtf moment and more in a "how did they organize that shit, Yuffie how and why?" than a "wtf this is so whacky but so cool" like Cloud crossdressing's dance because you actually see him reach this point and actually train for it)... but since almost the entire game covers a part of FF7 where virtually no story beats appear, the game feels slow and really unengaging if you haven't played the original.
Following random freaks (that you're not supposed to know much about) is not the pinnacle of storytelling, no matter how many digressions there are along the way... because yes you get more dialogue with your party members, but also pretty much nothing happening for dozens of hours.

And yes, the open world is just a run of the mill open world. It looks okay, but not even that great, with some areas being just annoying to navigate and not very fun like Gongaga (and talk about over expanding an area that is a whooping 5 screens counting the town).
That would be fine if the game actually had a story carrying it all the time, but that's not really the case.

Filling it up with minigames is an okay idea up until the point where they become too much, it's great to massively expand upon the SOLDIER parade (even if it's already slow paced by itself), I know a lot of people like Queen's Blood... and I personally really enjoy the chocobo racing. But when you start chaining really bad minigames, like the terrible chocobo taming ones (the stealth segments good grief - some of the worst stealth minigames I've played, and that's saying something!), followed by the shitty cactuar quest line, the Fort Condor/Robochad crappy MOBA and then the boring QTE crystals for lore... man it doesn't make for a very fun gaming sequence.

And speaking of, Chadley being so important, as he just... tells you like 90% of the world's lore instead of discovering it yourself, but also leading you to almost every piece of side content, and handing you the summons just like that after incredibly flat VR fights against them instead of them being in the world or quest rewards? It's reeeally bad for both progression and again, storytelling.
They could have taken the time to make a little dedicated story moment for obtaining the Titan materia in Gongaga, but no, instead it's more Chadley points to grind in the open world, it feels like a damn MMO reputation bar.

It's too bad because the game is enjoyable, but it way too often falls into the "here we go again, I'm gonna clear some of that side content and then I'll push for ten minutes of story...", and it makes sense considering where you are in the original, but back then, it was a mercifully short experience and not like 30+ hours before you leave Junon.

So yes they add a lot of cool stuff, but man does it drag one of the blandest parts of the game... and it's too bad they don't go any further with changes at time, because the game would have benefitted a lot from it. Although considering some of the changes are a pretty questionnable, I just don't know.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

These guys are incapable of making concise videos it seems...

TLDR: The mod is delayed indefinitely because they correctly expect Bethesda's official patch to cause all kinds of compatibility issues. They cannot offer any insight into a new release date until things get fixed.

Also, the mod will be hosted on gog.com because it's too big for Nexus. The guy does say they will try and put out mod manager friendly releases though.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
TLDR: The mod is delayed indefinitely because they correctly expect Bethesda's official patch to cause all kinds of compatibility issues. They cannot offer any insight into a new release date until things get fixed.
Man this must be super aggravating. Working for 4 years on something, finally having release date, everything ready to go...and then you get fucked by something that is actually a good thing, or should be a good thing, but it still fucks you. Le sigh.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I enjoyed Picard season 3 but there's no way that Star Trek TNG projected into the future looks anything like the events leading up to and including Picard. It's fanfiction.
It is Canon if you subscribe to the "past/future changed with First Contact and created a new timeline" conspiracy.
Basically, Enterprise and Discovery are the past of the changed First Contact Timeline and not the past of TOS/TNG/DS9, even Voyager was affected.
And Picard is the future of the First Contact timeline and not TNG.
It all makes sense, really!

• Toucan
Reactions: QFNS

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
It is Canon if you subscribe to the "past/future changed with First Contact and created a new timeline" conspiracy.
Basically, Enterprise and Discovery are the past of the changed First Contact Timeline and not the past of TOS/TNG/DS9, even Voyager was affected.
And Picard is the future of the First Contact timeline and not TNG.
It all makes sense, really!
My dream would be if there's a big reveal that everything we've seen post ~Voyager was just stuff happening in the most recent mirror universe, which to me would make more sense than it happening in the og universe (even if it doesn't connect fully there either).

It'd go a long way as to explaining why everyone is suddenly a stupid asshole.

• Toucan
Reactions: Stevey and QFNS

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
You people are insane. Trek has 2 timelines the Kelvin one (movie reboot continuity) and the not Movie one (everything else).
Are they batshit and full of contradictions? Yes. But that's how good sci-fi is. And I will fight anyone who says TNG, DS9 and the others aren't good sci-fi.

I haven't watched Picard season 3 because seasons 1 and 2 were so fucking terrible. That's an extremely reasonable stance and I dunno how anyone watched S3 after how bad the others were.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
You people are insane. Trek has 2 timelines the Kelvin one (movie reboot continuity) and the not Movie one (everything else).
Are they batshit and full of contradictions? Yes. But that's how good sci-fi is. And I will fight anyone who says TNG, DS9 and the others aren't good sci-fi.

I haven't watched Picard season 3 because seasons 1 and 2 were so fucking terrible. That's an extremely reasonable stance and I dunno how anyone watched S3 after how bad the others were.
I only watched the first 1-3 episodes of season 1, then 'watched' all of season 3. Watched as in had in the background while doing other things. It makes good background noise, IMO. Might be worth having in the background while playing an RPG or some focused task.

Reactions: QFNS

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
Well I don't know how anyone watched Picard season 2 after how horrible the first one was....
I wanted it to be good and then couldn't look away from the train wreck. I don't recommend it or expect anyone to have seen it, unless you're trek brain poisoned like me

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
The thing about FF fans, young or old, is that you could grab a random sample of 100, ask them all the same questions.

1: What's your favorite FF?
2: Why?

And all 100 will give you different answers.

My first FF was 4. And I kinda hate it, but I reckon it's cuz I've played it too much as a kid.
My favorite is 9, I like the highly personalized character stories and the music. FF9 has an over-arching story, but each character also has a personal story-arc. My second favorite is 6. Again, the music and character stories do it for me.

And just saying this much is usually enough for most people to label me as "old" than make a bunch of assumptions.

But as it turns out, I also adore the XIII trilogy, beginning to end (but especially the end). I love FFXV, in spite of what it could and should have been. That story ending is nutso and sticks with you Cowboy Bebop style. And I also really really loved FF Type-0 for it's ultra edgy story telling, mass human sacrifices, and multiple warring states in a world nearing it's end.

Flipside, I think 8 and 10 are mid. And 7 is borderline trashy to me. Yet I'm willing to give the remakes a look and see if they change my opinion. (When it all comes to PC.)

And so my point is, it's mostly useless to make broad assumptions about the FF fanbase. The series runs too long, in too many directions, across multiple generations of people, creators and platforms. I suppose the only solid stats we have are indeed sales and interest inferred from that.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

Picard S3 is a weird season. It actually departs from the two others (but still making them 100% canon and relevant, despite only really keeping one new character from them...), and a lot of people like how it's nothing but an endless series of references to the old shows.

But for me, that was the Glup Shitto of Star Trek, they have nothing but cameos and references, give two minutes to tons of old characters, try to explain everything that happened since then, and most of them just die right after.
It just sucks and is plain frustrating to see, for as much as the Star Wars shows rely on having seen way too much of the franchise, they at least don't try to shoehorn every single character ever in every episode, so when Luke appears, it's a glorious moment and not "and now here's Luke, please clap and let's spin the wheel of fate to see how he will die this week! And don't forget, next week Chewbacca is stuck in a sausage factory, vote on the spices added to his mix! For sale for only 19.99 at all Disney shops!".

Oh and the main plotline is complete rubbish and ruins even more the concerned parties that were done dirty since TNG... but to be honest, at least Picard himself has decent moments and story beats, ironically most of those coming from season 1 :thinking-blob:

Discovery had way better seasons 3&4 (though S3, talk about another garbage main plot) than Picard was... I sure hope season 5 will at least be decent.

Reactions: Alexandros and QFNS

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The thing about FF fans, young or old, is that you could grab a random sample of 100, ask them all the same questions.

My first FF was 4. And I kinda hate it, but I reckon it's cuz I've played it too much as a kid.
My favorite is 9, I like the highly personalized character stories and the music. FF9 has an over-arching story, but each character also has a personal story-arc. My second favorite is 6. Again, the music and character stories do it for me.

And just saying this much is usually enough for most people to label me as "old" than make a bunch of assumptions.

But as it turns out, I also adore the XIII trilogy, beginning to end (but especially the end). I love FFXV, in spite of what it could and should have been. That story ending is nutso and sticks with you Cowboy Bebop style. And I also really really loved FF Type-0 for it's ultra edgy story telling, mass human sacrifices, and multiple warring states in a world nearing it's end.

Flipside, I think 8 and 10 are mid. And 7 is borderline trashy to me. Yet I'm willing to give the remakes a look and see if they change my opinion. (When it all comes to PC.)

And so my point is, it's mostly useless to make broad assumptions about the FF fanbase. The series runs too long, in too many directions, across multiple generations of people, creators and platforms. I suppose the only solid stats we have are indeed sales and interest inferred from that.
You like 9 and 15
and diss 8

You are no FF fan to me!

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
For me my first and favourite FF games is FF6. I acutally got an American SNES to play that and Chrono Trigger (My first Square game I think was Secret of Mana).

At the time and for a long time it was there most ambitious FF with the likes of the World of Ruin being (nowadays quite simple) open world section. Plus I don't think they have ever quite topped the Opera scene as a set piece (I think 9 tried something similar).

Second favourite is XIV. I think it has 3 of the best stories in Heavensward (no gods at all in that one), Shadowbringers and Endwalker. Although Endwalker is built heavily on the revelations of Shadowbringers in many ways.

I don't think there is a FF I haven't enjoyed in one form or another. Only one I havent played is XI. As much as I moan about 7 remake there was stuff in there I enjoyed a lot. And I have to admit it was quite bold what they did with the story (even if this is more along the lines of actually making it a full on remake and changing key aspects).

The thing is. If SE want to go down the route they are currently going. Which can sometimes antagonise their fan base then they need to stop taking exclusivity deals. In this day and age you are only limiting your fan base. Exclusives do not grow a games fan base and are only designed to grow a consoles install base. I really don't think FF is in the position that it will do that regardless of how good Rebirth is.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Everyone knows the best FF is FF12.

My first FF was 7, and while I did enjoy it just fine at the time, it didn't take very long for it to lose its lustre.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

Bio from one of the writers at Automaton

"Automation West Editor and translator. She has a soft spot for old-school Sierra adventure games and Final Fantasy VIII (yes, 8!). Can often be found hunting down weird forgotten games and finding out everything about them. Frequently muses about characters and lines from Metal Gear Solid and Disco Elysium. Aims to keep Automaton fresh and interesting with a wide variety of articles."
---------
Up until 10th grade or so I still had no idea what Final Fantasy even was. By that time FFXIII-2 has already been released.

I even asked one of my friends if you had to play all of them in order and he told me that they were stand alone.

I can't remember if my first FF game was Dissidia for PSP or Crisis Core. But I never finished either one. And that was in 2012 or so after I purchased a Used PSP online.

Last edited:

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018

TNG S1-3