Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Am I supposed to play Ace Combat with KB+M or controller?

I don't have the official joystick :p
HOTAS have their own feel, but you should be fine with controller. I played AC4 on PS2 and it still gave a great sensation of flight.
I never turn my PC off. That would let the components cool down and through repeat heat ups and cooling downs shit will flex and eventually crack.

Run your PC 24/7. Room too hot? Just run your air conditioner 24/7 too.
You are a sage, with lots of wisdom.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I have a few heroes I'll always look for, but for the most part I try to build based on whatever I am able for find early on.

I'll almost always buy Crystal Maiden if she's available, even if she doesn't fit in any alliances you have she fits in really well if you have just one or two big spells you need. I'll also look to pick up Puck and Dragon Knight if they're available and affordable to me. I may end up selling them if they don't end up fitting in, but they when paired on the Dragon alliance they both give you such good AoE damage.
I always go for full Druid and Troll set, and also that green archer lady.:D Seems to work for me most of the time, well not MOST of the time since I often lose haha, but when it goes well that team is so good!:D

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I have decided to put the Epic Store thread on ignore, as I'm done with the whole mess surrounding it. I'll still be active in other threads of course, so please keep suggesting those wonderful games that aren't involved in exclusivity deals on pc! 😊
Void Bastards is pretty good! Been playing it a bunch and I'm surprised just how well it plays on a macbooks trackpad haha.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
NarohDethan I bouight AC7 on PC and the game is easily playable with a controller and felt great. I had to change the controller setting to "Advanced" i think so it actually made sense to me but try them both.

Void Bastards is my current 30 minute time-slot game. It's very repetitive after a while but that's just what i need at times and it really teaches you to just "let it go" and not really stress about anything.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

They support a range of sticks and hotas now. But all of them just reconfigured from gamepad controls without letting you alter anything so pretty meh still. I'd play with controller I guess like back in the PS1/2 days but I haven't gotten into the game yet, the hotas situation pissed me off and then I lost interest.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
All these mass shootings makes me happy I don't live in the US.
They make me sad that a country is held hostage by right-wing assholes and is unable to enact reasonable gun laws. A constitution is a piece of paper, if anything in it doesn't make sense anymore, you amend it. Wouldn't even be the first time that one amendment annulled another.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Just finished writing a review for Wolfenstein: Youngblood and I'll be moving on to Age of Wonders: Planetfall. If anyone has any question for these games I'd be happy to answer them. It's worth noting that Youngblood supports simultaneous mouse and gamepad input so it plays beautifully with the Steam Controller. Planetfall supports controllers too, the default setup is a bit clunky but absolutely playable.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Just finished writing a review for Wolfenstein: Youngblood and I'll be moving on to Age of Wonders: Planetfall. If anyone has any question for these games I'd be happy to answer them. It's worth noting that Youngblood supports simultaneous mouse and gamepad input so it plays beautifully with the Steam Controller. Planetfall supports controllers too, the default setup is a bit clunky but absolutely playable.
What's your opinion on Youngblood? It looks like a Wolfenstein themed The Division game to me... 😑

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

Bought this on launch, had a couple of fun hours with it. This is the first massive update to the game and for the asking price I'd recommend if you feel like running a company to mess with the world.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Man squad was fun until I been trying to find sessions with people that use voice and not to just talk about kamikazing. Really turning me off.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Each passing day I love this community a little more.
That's all I wanted to say.

- This comment was originally posted in the MMO thread because I'm an idiot.
Not that I don't love the people in the MMO thread, eh ! -

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

Ace Combat games are made to be perfectly fine on a controller. You can probably go full Flight Sim if you want to, but I'd just play with a controller myself.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
What's your opinion on Youngblood? It looks like a Wolfenstein themed The Division game to me... 😑
Well I haven't played The Division so I can't comment on that comparison. It's clearly a co-op focused game and it's very fun if you treat it as such. Playing it in co-op in 1-hour bursts was very enjoyable. As a single-player game it runs completely out of steam around the 5-hour mark. The story is barebones, the writing is rather bad and the missions themselves are full of GaaS-style "go there and kill x" or "go there and pick up y" quests.

vitormg

Jan 7, 2019
I've just beat The Witcher 3 base game. Such a joy to explore this world, damn. 60h clocked with a looot of "?" still left on the map. Luckily I still have the expansions to keep me playing. It is indeed a masterpiece of world design and story telling. You feel part of it and care for it.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I've just beat The Witcher 3 base game. Such a joy to explore this world, damn. 60h clocked with a looot of "?" still left on the map. Luckily I still have the expansions to keep me playing. It is indeed a masterpiece of world design and story telling. You feel part of it and care for it.
I still can't believe that I haven't played Blood & Wine. Someday for sure, someday.

Each passing day I love this community a little more.
That's all I wanted to say.

- This comment was originally posted in the MMO thread because I'm an idiot.
Not that I don't love the people in the MMO thread, eh ! -
:minos_love:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I saw that Mizzurna Falls got a fan translation that makes it playable from start to finish and decided to try it. Well, it's pretty friggin cool and I can see there Swery took his inspiration while making Deadly Premonition.

One of these days someone brave is going to translate Twilight Syndrome and my life will be completed.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Do you like the idea of Machinegames using Wolfenstein expansions - let's call Young Blood what it is, as a playground for new gameplay ideas or should things remain BJ-focused?

Reactions: Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Do you like the idea of Machinegames using Wolfenstein expansions - let's call Young Blood what it is, as a playground for new gameplay ideas or should things remain BJ-focused?
I think it's fine to try new things but these alternative titles have to be spaced out in terms of release schedule and communicated to the public very carefully. If they come too fast or create confusion among the audience then the brand may be damaged in a pretty severe way.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The dev also mentions how Spanish was not worth it, neither was adding MacOS support. I guess it all depends on the genre for the game and that localizing in every language will not always bring good results (some devs can do this as a sign of good will, but devs also got to eat and make new games. Tim......)

I previously talked about the whole PlayStation China hereo thing, and this sort of seems to die into it. There are some new titles from NEXT that are going to be on PS4 in addition to Steam (I am not 100% sure if NEXT is owned by another company, or if they also sell their games on wegames, or something else) but they have released their games mostly on Steam and they have been able to make new games (different genres) so there must be enough profit for them to keep going. I was sort of suspicious of NEXT, since they have released 4 different indie games within about a year (well one of them seems to have been pushed back since a PS4 versions was just released and the other game they are working on was originally slated for next year I think).

Indies are doing better on N/S in western countries compared to PC (Steam/GOG/HB/itchio) I would imagine but I wonder how do some indie games compare with SEA on PC and N/S. Indies seem to sell less on PS4 than they do on PC and Xbox seems to be in last with Indies (they do have the smallest market share, of indie titles sold and consoles purchased??)

PS that one game that recently went exclusive only seemed to support English, maybe they will use that money to add in Chinese support for when it finally releases on Steam (maybe that will help it with Steam sales??). I had that game on my wishlist but I have seen deleted it from said list.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
HOTAS have their own feel, but you should be fine with controller. I played AC4 on PS2 and it still gave a great sensation of flight.

You are a sage, with lots of wisdom.
Controls are simple enough that a hotas is really overkill.
NarohDethan I bouight AC7 on PC and the game is easily playable with a controller and felt great. I had to change the controller setting to "Advanced" i think so it actually made sense to me but try them both.

Void Bastards is my current 30 minute time-slot game. It's very repetitive after a while but that's just what i need at times and it really teaches you to just "let it go" and not really stress about anything.
They support a range of sticks and hotas now. But all of them just reconfigured from gamepad controls without letting you alter anything so pretty meh still. I'd play with controller I guess like back in the PS1/2 days but I haven't gotten into the game yet, the hotas situation pissed me off and then I lost interest.
Ace Combat games are made to be perfectly fine on a controller. You can probably go full Flight Sim if you want to, but I'd just play with a controller myself.
Thanks! Will try it that way.

Reactions: MegaApple

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I think it's fine to try new things but these alternative titles have to be spaced out in terms of release schedule and communicated to the public very carefully. If they come too fast or create confusion among the audience then the brand may be damaged in a pretty severe way.
As someone who wants them to tie it back into Commander Keen one day, I understand how important messaging can be with a brand

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexandros

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Dragon Quest 11 Switch makes it hard to choose between that and just playing the PC version with a trainer with HP and magic or whatever it's called turned on.

So much good stuff in the DQ11 Switch edition, yet I suck at JRPGs (well, not sure how easy DQ11 actually is though).

The choice would have been so much easier if Square just patched in the new stuff into the PC version.

Well at least there's a demo coming closer to launch for the Switch version. Gonna see how easy it is first.
You can go with DQXI on Switch if difficulty is a concern to you. The main story isn’t that hard and other than the postgame you shouldn’t have many problems.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Dragon Quest 11 Switch makes it hard to choose between that and just playing the PC version with a trainer with HP and magic or whatever it's called turned on.

So much good stuff in the DQ11 Switch edition, yet I suck at JRPGs (well, not sure how easy DQ11 actually is though).

The choice would have been so much easier if Square just patched in the new stuff into the PC version.

Well at least there's a demo coming closer to launch for the Switch version. Gonna see how easy it is first.
You can go with DQXI on Switch if difficulty is a concern to you. The main story isn’t that hard and other than the postgame you shouldn’t have many problems.
Agree with BlueOdin here. On my playthrough of Dragon Quest XI, until like the last third of the game* , I had to actively stop myself from fighting any monsters in dungeons, so as to make the boss fights even remotely challenging. It did reach a satisfying level of difficulty near the very end, but other than that it's a total breeze. So unless you heavily use the Draconic Quest options to make the game harder (which I'd actually recommend, in hindsight), you need not fear the challenge of any combat encounter in DQ XI

* ( I don't consider any part of DQ XI, as "post", btw, it's all one continous story to me, with three clear acts)

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Agree with BlueOdin here. On my playthrough of Dragon Quest XI, until like the last third of the game* , I had to actively stop myself from fighting any monsters in dungeons, so as to make the boss fights even remotely challenging. It did reach a satisfying level of difficulty near the very end, but other than that it's a total breeze. So unless you heavily use the Draconic Quest options to make the game harder (which I'd actually recommend, in hindsight), you need not fear the challenge of any combat encounter in DQ XI

* ( I don't consider any part of DQ XI, as "post", btw, it's all one continous story to me, with three clear acts)
Agree that the postgame should be considered as part of the story even though I like the overall quality of it I don't like some parts to the whole story. Nevertheless, I would say DQXI is one of the best JRPGs this decade if not the best. Certainly better than Persona 5

Deleted member 113

A Short Hike, a Humble Original recently released on Steam in an expanded version, is well worth a look, if anyone is in the mood for a "chill game", to break a bit from all the usual shooting and slashing that most games provide.

The game has some similarities in terms of visual presentation to the Nintendo DS game Animal Crossing: Wild World, and a very cool, and relaxing soundtrack.
It places you on an open world island that you are free to explore, inhabited by a colourful cast of characters, with some mini-games (fishing, collecting stuff, a game similar to beach volleyball, and more) to offer some gameplay variation.

It's possible to complete it in less time (although, considering the kind of game, it seems a bit pointless to just rush and ignore most things), but so far I have played for around 3 hours, and I only unlocked half of the achievements, so I think one can easily get 4-6 hours, at least, out of it, if you don't rush it.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I always go for full Druid and Troll set, and also that green archer lady.:D Seems to work for me most of the time, well not MOST of the time since I often lose haha, but when it goes well that team is so good!:D
I had good success with Warriors and Scaled, extra armor and magic resistance is a potent combination. Anyway, this new patch is great! I love the head-to-head matches, the free re-rolls and the changes to the global items.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I had good success with Warriors and Scaled, extra armor and magic resistance is a potent combination. Anyway, this new patch is great! I love the head-to-head matches, the free re-rolls and the changes to the global items.
Yeah I'm loving the patch. There is such joy knowing that the one you own in a match will feel the sting just when you deal massive damage :D

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Decided to faff about with some more of my PS3 library in RPCS3 to see how everything is stacking up. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is a no go on my system atm, but Anarchy Reigns seems to be getting somewhere! Should be interesting to see how it performs a few months/a year from now!

Definitely try Virtua Fighter 5 or Soul Calibur IV if you have them. Looks and runs pretty awesome in high resolution. VF5 especially.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
A Short Hike, a Humble Original recently released on Steam in an expanded version, is well worth a look, if anyone is in the mood for a "chill game", to break a bit from all the usual shooting and slashing that most games provide.

The game has some similarities in terms of visual presentation to the Nintendo DS game Animal Crossing: Wild World, and a very cool, and relaxing soundtrack.
It places you on an open world island that you are free to explore, inhabited by a colourful cast of characters, with some mini-games (fishing, collecting stuff, a game similar to beach volleyball, and more) to offer some gameplay variation.

It's possible to complete it in less time (although, considering the kind of game, it seems a bit pointless to just rush and ignore most things), but so far I have played for around 3 hours, and I only unlocked half of the achievements, so I think one can easily get 4-6 hours, at least, out of it, if you don't rush it.

I just finished this game today and yeah, really nice enjoyable little explory game.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm having a real love/hate relationship with Metro Exodus. Night time is really the only way to stealth but good luck doing it in the dark since enemies easily see lights. The overall movement is extremely clunky and the game's performance isn't that great. I managed to get a steady 1080/60 on ultra settings but it hitches quite often, especially when it autosaves. This happens despite me having a gsync monitor and locking fps to 60 with RTSS.

I'm also not really convinced the pseudo open world was a good choice. If the combat and movement were better it could probably work but so far it's an exercise in frustration usually. The couple of linear story areas I did were much better designed. I feel little desire to explore every ? mark I find on my map.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I enjoyed previous metro games but I bounced off exodus when going through and about to finish off that open-ish desert area you get to at one point.

Reactions: Ge0force

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com
so after slightly messy weekend doing another batch

Trailers Summary 4. 8. 2019 #1 - Contents:
  • BlazBlue Cross Tag battle - v2.0 announcement inc. Akatsuki Blitzkampf and lashman kagura fates
  • Main Assembly - EarlyAccess trailer
  • Variables - Launch trailer
  • Backland -trailer
  • Dry Drowning - Launch trailer
  • We need to go Deeper - v1.0 launch trailer
  • Sabotuer II: Avenging Angel - launch trailer
  • Vasara Collection - Release Date trailer
  • MADNESS: Project Nexus - Stream trailer
  • Newt One - v1.0 announcement trailer
  • Heave Ho -Release date trailer
  • Collapsed - Launch trailer
  • Fae Tactics - trailer
  • The Church in the Darkness - Launch trailer
  • Neon Abyss -Gameplay trailer
  • The Outer Worlds - E3 Demo with Brian Heins commentary
|OT| Games trailers news and such - Trailers Summary 4.8.2019 #1

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Definitely try Virtua Fighter 5 or Soul Calibur IV if you have them. Looks and runs pretty awesome in high resolution. VF5 especially.
I can just wait for the inevitable Yakuza 6 port for Virtua Fighter 5 on PC! At least that'll happen eventually...

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
There was a nation-wide blackout for 10+ hours over here. No electricity means no internet, no traffic lights, no public lights, no e-money, most ATM not working, no MRT, etc. Can't imagine how it affects business.

It was a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.