Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Stuck in an endless reboot loop. Runs for a few seconds then powers down for a brief moment before starting back up.

Tried different RAM, reseating the CPU and checking for bent pins, also checked cables. Everything seems fine. I'm using the same PSU since it's only a little over a year old and more than powerful enough. It's an EVGA Supernova 1000 G3.
Try different RAM slot if you haven't do so.

Reactions: PossiblyPudding
PC expertise

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Stuck in an endless reboot loop. Runs for a few seconds then powers down for a brief moment before starting back up.
Are you able to go into the BIOS at all? If you are, try resetting everything to its default value, especially the RAM section.

It sounds to me like the RAM training failed for some reason. If you have the means, you can try installing the RAM modules into another PC and see if you encounter the same issue.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Are you able to go into the BIOS at all? If you are, try resetting everything to its default value, especially the RAM section.

It sounds to me like the RAM training failed for some reason. If you have the means, you can trying installing the RAM modules into another PC and see if you encounter the same issue.
Sadly no, I haven't gotten to BIOS. But I'll try to remember that in case I do.

That's a good call and I could possibly try with my current mobo. Of course with it being a little older I'm not entirely sure it will work, but I can always double check before going to all the trouble.

Reactions: Kvik

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018

Tried different RAM, reseating the CPU and checking for bent pins, also checked cables. Everything seems fine. I'm using the same PSU since it's only a little over a year old and more than powerful enough. It's an EVGA Supernova 1000 G3.
I had something similar once when my graphics card power cord was just barely not plugged in all the way (to the card itself). Took me ages to find that. So, make sure all your power connections to the components are solid, and into the PSU itself of course.

In other conversation, I've been playing Rabi-Ribi a lot lately, kind of LTTP on it but yea. I can sort of see why people might like it at first but I think it's another 6 or 7 out of 10 for me so far. The RPG-ness is vastly overtuned and basically meaningless, everything scales so much that even in the mode where going out of your way to find items is supposed to give you an advantage, the bosses are the same level as otherwise. I even used maps to track down powerups I was missing because in both modes I just feel weaker and weaker as the game goes on. I might look at some boss fight videos or something just to see if there's some major thing I'm missing, but I'm doing everything I know how to do and boss fights are just a slog and really not fun to do the same fight, one time, for 15-20 minutes beating their HP bar up pixel by pixel. The non-boss rooms it feels like you scale a little bit but new areas always do 1/4-1/5 my health per hit no matter how upgraded I've gotten.

Basically, it's another example of "why have this system at all if it's pointless" and the game seems designed around a pointless system so... dunno. If the stats and upgrades scaled like a traditional metroidvania I think it'd be a lot more fun, I'm just sick of constantly almost dying and insanely long boss battles. The last boss fight I did wasn't that hard but I had to cheat my way through the end because my finger was actually tired from holding down the charge button constantly and I was just bored of dodging and I sure as hell wasn't going to do the first 20 minutes of that again :p Much like Bloodstained, the more time I put into it the worse it seems to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: PossiblyPudding

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I had something similar once when my graphics card power cord was just barely not plugged in all the way (to the card itself). Took me ages to find that. So, make sure all your power connections to the components are solid, and into the PSU itself of course.

In other conversation, I've been playing Rabi-Ribi a lot lately, kind of LTTP on it but yea. I can sort of see why people might like it at first but I think it's another 6 or 7 out of 10 for me so far. The RPG-ness is vastly overtuned and basically meaningless, everything scales so much that even in the mode where going out of your way to find items is supposed to give you an advantage, the bosses are the same level as otherwise. I even used maps to track down powerups I was missing because in both modes I just feel weaker and weaker as the game goes on. I might look at some boss fight videos or something just to see if there's some major thing I'm missing, but I'm doing everything I know how to do and boss fights are just a slog and really not fun to do the same fight, one time, for 15-20 minutes beating their HP bar up pixel by pixel. The non-boss rooms it feels like you scale a little bit but new areas always do 1/4-1/5 my health per hit no matter how upgraded I've gotten.

Basically, it's another example of "why have this system at all if it's pointless" and the game seems designed around a pointless system so... dunno. If the stats and upgrades scaled like a traditional metroidvania I think it'd be a lot more fun, I'm just sick of constantly almost dying and insanely long boss battles. The last boss fight I did wasn't that hard but I had to cheat my way through the end because my finger was actually tired from holding down the charge button constantly and I was just bored of dodging and I sure as hell wasn't going to do the first 20 minutes of that again :p Much like Bloodstained, the more time I put into it the worse it seems to get.
How far are you in Rabi-Ribi? I didn't get that far, and really liked what I played from what I recall, but I don't remember bosses taking anywhere close to that long to complete. I do seem to recall that there's optional bosses or some you could do in a different order based on where you went. When I stopped playing I remember the boss I had tried to fight a couple times being much tougher than those that came before and I thought I would come back later.

I should go back to that game sooner than later to see how I feel now.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
You know what call me a Steam (Valve?) Fanboy. They are (and at this point you can't really deny it) one of the big reasons for why "anime" games are making their way back to PC.

The only way I would say purchase something from EGS would be if ATLUS released their games on there or something (all that SMT and Vanillaware goodness)

When I first got into PC gaming I didn't think to much about clients (launchers), the only 3 I had up until maybe 2018 were Steam, Origin, and Uplay and that was it. I didn't have Battlenet or Epic Launcher (or GOG Galaxy, even though GOG stuff is DRM free). Some people like Tim have praised what GOG Galaxy 2.0 is doing since it's going to be the client to rule them all sort of thing and if it does this then the complaints that people have about EGS will be gone since at the point EGS will be just that a store and not a launcher (client). I've tried GOG Galaxy 2.0 and to me (at least as or right now) it's not really doing it for me. Maybe I need to add more friends? But I don't think that's the issue since I almost never look at my friend's activity feeds, is it the way game and such are organized? I don't think so either since I can just stare at my Steam library and it doesn't really feel "special" and I sort of felt the same way when looking at GOG 2.0

I guess one of the things that I like about Steam (and the reason why I think that as a whole it's a lot better than all the other clients and also the "OS stuff" , features, that consoles offer) is that there is things weird sense of "community", of it being a living thing. I don't have many friends (growing up I spent a lot of time by myself playing games and never hung out with many friends) and a lot of them are scattered about (in real life, online, and game wise) so I don't always have content with them. Steam gives me the ability to "indirectly" connect with other users (being able to read their reviews, their screenshots, guides, discussions, streams and what not in one place. So I'm able to see what other think), which I guess is another way of saying "lurking about"?

GOG 2.0 does not have this but it does seem like it will be adding some of this and some other stuff that I want (and that Valve also plans to add to Steam) so that may change my opinions on it.

There was more that I wanted to say but I guess this is maybe why it bothers me when some people view Steam as "just a client" (since they say, EGS is just another client, so what the big deal). I don't know if they can understand though since these features may not be important to them (this is assuming they are a PC gamer) or that if they are a console gamer some of this stuff just is not on consoles so they will not have "experienced" it.

Some will say that being a fanboy for a PC gaming client is rather dumb and in a way I agree but at the same time I don't see Steam as just a PC gaming client (I also see it as a community, it may be "toxic" and a "hell hole" but something about it just keeps me coming back
and yes it's oppai
)

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Altho i only played the start of bayonetta, i sincerely hope the visuals in later stages dont come off washed out colours.

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
yessss. :p

I searched high-and-low for a .gif or Youtube clip of when men were lining up to be insulted and dominated by Chie-sensei, but alas, the internet failed me. It makes me feel old when I can't find something from my youth! :weary-face:
I am in despair!

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
How far are you in Rabi-Ribi? I didn't get that far, and really liked what I played from what I recall, but I don't remember bosses taking anywhere close to that long to complete. I do seem to recall that there's optional bosses or some you could do in a different order based on where you went. When I stopped playing I remember the boss I had tried to fight a couple times being much tougher than those that came before and I thought I would come back later.

I should go back to that game sooner than later to see how I feel now.
I'm 14 hours in. I just started chapter 7 of... not sure, I know there's at least 8. Almost all the boss orders (and areas, items, etc.) are non-linear, which is cool. The problem is you're correct, early on the bosses are no where near that bad. All boss levels scale based on the "setting" of the game, standard vs. alternative. In standard they scale based off the story progress + items you've found, in alternative they scale heavily off of just story (so finding all items is advantageous and finding most items is required to make it "balanced"). Near as I can tell, where I'm at, those modes are almost identical and the fact there's this convoluted scaling system is part of the problem. The boss fights are just getting harder and I'm going out of my way to find every upgrade I can, which should give me an advantage, but I guess it's just giving me an advantage over... straight up losing? I don't know.

Again, it's possible there's so key element of combat I just am missing or don't understand but I'm weaving every button and item and move in my arsenal and barely scraping by over brutally, pointlessly long fights. The core gameplay is fun enough and there's an OK variety of magic but not a whole lot else going on and it amounts to just "chip away for as long as you can endure".

It also really bugs me when games have upgrade systems that aren't actually upgrades, they're just ways to mitigate endlessly spiking numbers from enemies. I'd rather they remove the upgrades entirely and flatten the system to make it balanced instead.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I'm still hooked to Pathfinder: Kingmaker and lately its all I've been playing, except for some Waframe sessions and trying some games that I had bought previously.

One tip for people who may be interested: always try to focus in the main quest first, the chapters end after a set amount of time has passed and if you ignore it shit start happening over your kingdom. I learned it the hard way 😑

I'm also enjoying the companions quests even though some aren't as good as the others. Like Jaethal's quest, I despise her character but after advancing her quest I'm curious to know more about her past and what exactly happened to her.

Nok-Nok keeps being the addition to the party, too bad he can't become a counselor. If only I could choose him just to see the chaos ensue...
I am currently 50 hours into kingmaker :)
And Nok-Nok is OP!

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I'm 14 hours in. I just started chapter 7 of... not sure, I know there's at least 8. Almost all the boss orders (and areas, items, etc.) are non-linear, which is cool. The problem is you're correct, early on the bosses are no where near that bad. All boss levels scale based on the "setting" of the game, standard vs. alternative. In standard they scale based off the story progress + items you've found, in alternative they scale heavily off of just story (so finding all items is advantageous and finding most items is required to make it "balanced"). Near as I can tell, where I'm at, those modes are almost identical and the fact there's this convoluted scaling system is part of the problem. The boss fights are just getting harder and I'm going out of my way to find every upgrade I can, which should give me an advantage, but I guess it's just giving me an advantage over... straight up losing? I don't know.

Again, it's possible there's so key element of combat I just am missing or don't understand but I'm weaving every button and item and move in my arsenal and barely scraping by over brutally, pointlessly long fights. The core gameplay is fun enough and there's an OK variety of magic but not a whole lot else going on and it amounts to just "chip away for as long as you can endure".

It also really bugs me when games have upgrade systems that aren't actually upgrades, they're just ways to mitigate endlessly spiking numbers from enemies. I'd rather they remove the upgrades entirely and flatten the system to make it balanced instead.
Oh yeah, well past where I put it down. I think I played around two hours at most.

Any chance you could just look up either a walkthrough for the boss you're on or a video just to see if others take 15-20 minutes or if you can see that there's something maybe you're missing? But otherwise that sounds pretty shitty because that's far too long for most boss fights, especially in this style of game.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I've been playing on Linux for the past few days (it used to be my main OS back when I mainly played on console, then switched to Win for obvious reasons when I completely switched to PC gaming but I kinda missed it) and I must say that the work Valve is doing with Proton really is majestic, even with not officially supported titles. Last night I played Distraint 2 (play it, btw, it's great) and God Wars and, while not the most demanding games, they both work flawlessly.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oh, Someone was asking about 2D Horror Games a few days ago, can't remember who it was though but "Distraint 2" looks like exactly what they asked for.
I'll highlight the words in case they see this.

Reactions: Arsene

GrrImAFridge

Your friendly neighbourhood appliance
Jan 26, 2019
Uhuh, recieved my first "you refunded too many games" warning inside the refund confirmation. :face-screaming-in-fear:
After Jim Sterling's "Valve may punish you if you take Arkane's advice and use the refund system to demo Prey 2017" video, I did what he should have done and spent a few days conversing with Steam Support about that very warning. After a bit of back-and-forth to ensure we were on the very same page, I was told "we look at a variety of factors in your refund behaviour before declining", so as long as you're not regularly refunding games in addition to other behaviour that may constitute abuse, you've absolutely nothing to worry about.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Yakuza Kiwami is done. What a great game, but it's almost mandatory that you play 0 beforehand. Finished every substory except one that I couldn't find, and after some googling around it required to complete Majima Everywhere. Which I was rather close to, got to rank SSS and all, but I still had a bunch of abilities left to unlock.

Already have Kiwami 2 downloaded, but I think I'll wait a bit before tackling it. Thinking of starting Wolfenstein New Order.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
After Jim Sterling's "Valve may punish you if you take Arkane's advice and use the refund system to demo Prey 2017" video, I did what he should have done and spent a few days conversing with Steam Support about that very warning. After a bit of back-and-forth to ensure we were on the very same page, I was told "we look at a variety of factors in your refund behaviour before declining", so as long as you're not regularly refunding games in addition to other behaviour that may constitute abuse, you've absolutely nothing to worry about.
I am just recently refunding games a bit more but that is mostly really either techical or "I thought that game would be something different" reasons. I always write a reason into the form. That said I am not really worried, but I wonder what behaviour would constitute abuse? Anyhow, it was a good reminder to make less impromptu buying decisions. :smiling-face-with-halo:

Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I'm currently playing Dishonored 2 and enjoying it. I'm still at the start of mission 3 but it feels like a big step up from the original game and expansion, which weren't bad by any means but weren't excellent. I'm wondering though if it's worth it to replay the game as the other character when I finish the campaign, if the story is different or if anything is notably different to warrant going through it again, apart from the low/high chaos ending?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm currently playing Dishonored 2 and enjoying it. I'm still at the start of mission 3 but it feels like a big step up from the original game and expansion, which weren't bad by any means but weren't excellent. I'm wondering though if it's worth it to replay the game as the other character when I finish the campaign, if the story is different or if anything is notably different to warrant going through it again, apart from the low/high chaos ending?
I don't believe there are notable differences outside of hearing more of Emily's internal monologue and her perception of events. I only played a bit of the first two levels with her which were effectively the same as Corvo's, and I haven't read about departures from the path that Corvo takes either. The main beats of the story will remain the same as far as I'm aware. Her moveset is significantly different though, so it will in any case mix things up gameplay-wise.

Reactions: kio and Milena

GrrImAFridge

Your friendly neighbourhood appliance
Jan 26, 2019
I don't believe there are notable differences outside of hearing more of Emily's internal monologue and her perception of events. The main beats of the story will remain the same.
Yeah, this.

As an aside, I hope Arkane working on Youngblood points to Dishonored 3 using id Tech rather than the Avoid Engine. I was fortunate enough to have no issues with 2, even at launch... until I upgraded to a 1080 Ti, because, naturally, having a better GPU means having noticeably worse frame times.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
You aren't wrong.

Regarding metroidvanias, that is.
I'm glad im not the only one who doesn't really like metroidvanias. Sometimes ill find one that clicks with me (Currently playing Yoku's Island Express and really enjoying it despite the metroidvania aspects, Thanks NarohDethan!) but the genre is just a turn off for me at this point. That, and procedurally generated titles.

but that doesnt stop me from constantly buying them >:3

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Sadly no, I haven't gotten to BIOS. But I'll try to remember that in case I do.

That's a good call and I could possibly try with my current mobo. Of course with it being a little older I'm not entirely sure it will work, but I can always double check before going to all the trouble.
Is it a new Ryzen? Did you check that the mobo supports it out of the box?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ive seen a Sonic Generations mod that literally turns Sonic into a giant penis and it still isnt as cursed as this.
Gross.
This mod is a nice effort. There are some bugs but overall the game works fine....at least I think it does, for some reason controls feel a bit sluggish though that could be one of the skills I equipped. At least I am able to progress stages fine but my own skills ain't what they used to.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Gross.
This mod is a nice effort. There are some bugs but overall the game works fine....at least I think it does, for some reason controls feel a bit sluggish though that could be one of the skills I equipped. At least I am able to progress stages fine but my own skills ain't what they used to.
What would be gross-er, that or the movie Sonic?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Eh the initial movie Sonic design is like a bear cub dyed in blue, why would you do that to a poor little cub?! Dunno if I'd call it gross anymore, more that it is unappealing.
Its the teeth.

Reactions: Tizoc
Status
Not open for further replies.