Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Obviously Nagoshi has faith in his team to make the mechanics work in a Yakuza game, hence this departure. I still believe there is some merit in bringing something new into the series in an unexpected way, and maybe bringing a segment of "classic" RPG fans into Yakuza fandom. (maybe some Persona fans too)
If this game resembles Persona even slightly I’m out.

Reactions: KainXVIII

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Did Steam change how refunds work? I refunded a game earlier today and when it got approved I got a Steam alert message telling me about it, and the refund appeared in my Steam wallet about an hour later. It usually takes 24 hours.

The game also said "License Expired" in the games title.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Maybe we all should wait until a proper gameplay footage is released, before bringing the pitchforks out? Getting out from their comfort zone is probably what a long-running series needed.
It's not pitchforks but disappointment? I'll still give it a chance of course, but I dunno, it's like if you love something the way it is don't you get sad to see it change?

Social links with cute hostesses

Now this I can agree on.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Did Steam change how refunds work? I refunded a game earlier today and when it got approved I got a Steam alert message telling me about it, and the refund appeared in my Steam wallet about an hour later. It usually takes 24 hours.

Seems about right for when you choose to return to steam wallet. In my experience.

Reactions: Arsene

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019

Not sure, maybe it's a very recent change or really good luck? I requested a refund last week that still took 24 hours to show up in my wallet.

Either way that's great it happened quickly for you! :thumbsupblob:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

Did the money go inside brackets ($$$) on the right of your Steam wallet? That's how it usually works for me, Refund confirmation is fast, but you still need to wait 24 hours until the refunded money is useable.

Reactions: Arsene

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Did the money go inside brackets ($$$) on the right of your Steam wallet? That's how it usually works for me, Refund confirmation is fast, but you still need to wait 24 hours until the refunded money is useable.
No. It appeared in my account instantly.

Last time I refunded a game (about 2 weeks ago) it appeared in brackets and after 24 hours was approved, and I did not get a Steam Alert. Just an Email.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Man, been so busy with reviews lately, haven't been around much - just started the second NA/EU PS4 game in a row that seems to default to the system's confirmation button (in my case, Circle, since I'm on a JP PS4 Pro) It's something that happens, but it's usually so rare it's odd to have it happen twice in a row!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Interesting. I don't mind action or turn-based, but it's definitely easier for turn-based to feel like a slog than action combat.
As long as it's not RTwP.
I'm still 4 Yakuza games away from playing that one anyway though, so it's honestly a bit ¯\(ツ)

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I don't mind the new Yakuza changing genres because this is Ichiban's story now. Plus they said they'd revert back to beat em up style if the fans didn't like it so why not give it a shot? I'm down for a weirdly realistic JRPG

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Bold claim: Yakuza has been an action JRPG minus the anime aesthetic. Distinct overworld and battle phases, minimal character (stat) building, lots of text box dialog with simple reaction animations, occasional fan service, power of justice and friendship, a hero with a dark past, etc.

😇

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ok, Blasphemous demo is solid. This is 2d Dark Souls alright. I don't think I can take Souls difficulty right now, and I'm bored of the nebulous storytelling typical of the genre. But I can't fault the game, it seems to achieve exactly what it sets itself to do. Remain to see the full game, but the demo is good.

Last edited:

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Wow gamatsu video player sucks, I can't choose where to go on slider just consistently restarts at the start. I need a screencap of him saying Just like in Dragon Quest! near the end.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It's not pitchforks but disappointment? I'll still give it a chance of course, but I dunno, it's like if you love something the way it is don't you get sad to see it change?
You know, I'll be lying if I say I wasn't even slightly disappointed when they decided to make the new Sakura Taisen an ARPG. Still, I'm not averse to change and trying something new is always a good thing in my book.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Wait what, Yakuza 7 being turn based is not just April's Fools?

This is going to suck all the fun out of the "open world".
I consider Yakuza's combat to be serviceable at best, it has cool moments but is horribly repetitive with all the "random encounters" and the very lengthy "dungeons" filled with ennemies.
Add turn based to that, and you have to wait multiple turns of trash punks doing their little animations instead of blasting them off in seconds. And it will only get worse in long missions where you fight the same minions for 1h+ with the cut scenes.

I don't mind turn based combat!
When ennemies respawn in seconds and you have to fight hundreds in a single sequence?
This is a nothing but a nightmare.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Wait what, Yakuza 7 being turn based is not just April's Fools?

This is going to suck all the fun out of the "open world".
I consider Yakuza's combat to be serviceable at best, it has cool moments but is horribly repetitive with all the "random encounters" and the very lengthy "dungeons" filled with ennemies.
Add turn based to that, and you have to wait multiple turns of trash punks doing their little animations instead of blasting them off in seconds. And it will only get worse in long missions where you fight the same minions for 1h+ with the cut scenes.

I don't mind turn based combat!
When ennemies respawn in seconds and you have to fight hundreds in a single sequence?
This is a nothing but a nightmare.
But that's assuming that the amount of enemies and length of dungeons will be the same as it is in the past titles.

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Hello I just joined the forum, didn't dare making a new thread as forum is quite calm. I have been looking at the Ocean Classics Bundle, which sells old Ocean Sodtware games, but one thing is disappointibg: they justported DOS games, which are not the best versions for some of them.

I am hoping for a volume 2 bundle with beter quality from Piko Interactive
Welcome!
Holy Crap, i'd totally that Ocean did any PC stuff. I always associated them with the Speccy/C64/ST/Amiga etc
I'm going to be sat here all day now with Rose-Tinted glasses thinking about the old Ocean games... maybe not, there were thousands of them!
There's some great documentaries on youtube about Ocean & Imagine etc For a company that was shady as hell and only interested in making a quick quid they sure pushed out some classics.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
But that's assuming that the amount of enemies and length of dungeons will be the same as it is in the past titles.
But you don't even need to have the same number of ennemies.
Just get any random battle, say, 4vs4: even if you can kill ennemies much faster than before (which would drastically change the feeling of the game), you will STILL be forced to see multiple attack animations before the second turn... where you might have to use support and healing, with their own animations. Which is normally not needed in combat, it's just a click in your inventory.

And of course, if you just remove entirely the many situations where you fight 20+ ennemies, it's a huge blow to the flavor of the franchise.
You can't be surrounded by ennemies, now even if you kill 5 ennemies a turn, you will still stand still for 15 more animations before the next turn. Which will not only look stupid, but be a complete bore.

Slapping a turn based system in any action game mens extra animations, extra busywork in support, and a completely different combat rhythm.
And all of that is mostly one thing: time wasted doing nothing. It's not like those were already 100+ games with an absurd amount of repetition.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Good, our Lord and Savior Phil have listened to unhinged peasants and lowered the price of his flagship game! Hail to the King baby!

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Welcome!
Holy Crap, i'd totally that Ocean did any PC stuff. I always associated them with the Speccy/C64/ST/Amiga etc
I'm going to be sat here all day now with Rose-Tinted glasses thinking about the old Ocean games... maybe not, there were thousands of them!
There's some great documentaries on youtube about Ocean & Imagine etc For a company that was shady as hell and only interested in making a quick quid they sure pushed out some classics.
I have the book "Ocean the History" right next to me as I been reading it this week. It's really interesting and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
Made a video with my final thoughts about Space Siege. Unfortunately, I can't say it's worth playing these days, some good ideas but that's it.

Also, making videos with impressions about games you've played is indeed an effective way to improve spoken English! I still have a lot to improve, but it's indeed got better since I'm doing less pronouncing mistakes and can quickly record audio without redoing bad parts over and over again. So far I'm focusing on reviews and previews since I don't really have time for anything else right now, but eventually, I'll get it on the level when I'll be able to quickly pull out opinion pieces about recent industry bullshit and news.

Western 2020 release was confirmed at the Japanese event by the way, Probably an official announcement from SEGA USA tomorrow.

Bring it to PC cowards
It looks good, but the fact that the main protagonist shares the same actor as Nishki from Y0-1 is kinda bothering me lol. Especially considering that Y0-1 are the only Yakuza games I've played so far.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I mean, it simply extends the long-running fact that Japanese publishers are not interested in EGS.
Oh, I'm well aware of that. I'm simply revelling in the fact that there will be at least one more game I'm going to enjoy without EGS interference. As long as these games exist, EGS might as well don't exist at all, for me.

But isn't that the original Scarlet? i thought the one localized would be the improved version (Ambitious).
You brought an excellent point. I wasn't aware of that.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Team17 should enable pre-purchase for Blasphemous so I can buy it already. The demo completely sold me on the game.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD
Status
Not open for further replies.