Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
well it's not like they can say "just wait til the steam release" even if they wanted to so i cut the devs some slack there too, personally.

Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I understand why some devs take the moneyhat and harbour no particular ill will against them doing it if it allows them the security they need. What i dont like is those devs then saying to consumers 'whats the big deal, just buy it on eggs, its just a launcher etc'.
Yeap. Especially the ones that have been advertising their game on Steam, then jumped ship and told everyone to fuck off

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah this is a different story in my book. also kickstarters that promised steam keys and then swap to egs keys
yup ... and those are the devs we're talking about here really

there's nothing wrong with taking the moneyhat if they need to (big devs and publishers probably don't need to, on the other hand) ... it's mostly about how they approached telling people about it, and then replying to people (at least people who were trying to just ask nicely)

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Its amazing how often I "solve" an issue just by complaining into the void somewhere. I did nothing and now its working after not being able to login for at least a week.
I'm a firm believer in either typing into the void or going and just talking at someone about the problem. Even if they understand nothing about I.T. and just continue to watch TV, scroll through Facebook or stare at me blankly. Sometimes my subconcious just needs some time to percolate the answer or just get away for a bit and let things resolve themselves.

Fixing a problem by doing nothing is a great feeling tho :D

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Thansk all your replies and thoughts. That's pretty much what I tried to say previously and I was afraid I was a ·rara avis" about this particular issue.

Atiitude, behaviour, explanations and so on is where the line is drawn which some devs really don't know how to handle properly.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
it's mostly about how they approached telling people about it, and then replying to people (at least people who were trying to just ask nicely)
I think some of them do not do it on purpose. They try to find good reasons to justify that they accepted the deal. They are not all super smart and some of them fail to acknowledge that the reason is that it is good for the devs rather than good for their customers.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I'm afraid my following thoughts might stir up some controversy, nonetheless I believe I need to share them.

First of all, I understand your concers about platform exclusivities as a consumer/user. I personally dislike them but that's in part because I believe exclusivities tend to restrictic a notable amount of their playerbase target the ability to enjoy/play them . I know almost nobody really wants to wait for a year to buy a game they really want to play immediately on their desired platform, but if I try to grasp the whole picture, some devs probably don't want to miss out on guaranteed money despìte its possible consequences.

So to be clear, I'm against exclusivities but I believe there are probably cases which would require profound knowledge and comprenhension regarding developers current economic circumstances to make them choose this path.

Also, a big issue is how they can behave and handle the consequences of their choice (exclusivity) towards users.

I personally can understand why some indies developers take Epic's money whithout second thoughts (survability/sustainability at all cost), but when it comes to big publishers and/or developers I certainly struggle a lot to imagine if it really pays off the loss of sales on released date compared to the amount of cash they get for the exclusivity.
I don't see anything controversial about the things you wrote. We all understand the business reasons behind an indie studio taking an exclusivity deal, even a very successful indie studio. The thing I strongly object to is the gaslighting that usually follows. If you decide to accept money in order to refuse access to the game for part of your audience you should have the self awareness to understand that your audience has every right to protest your decision and even not buy your game. You are not owed a purchase and you are certainly not owed immunity from criticism. Trying to present yourself as a victim of unjust customer backlash when you just received an enormous check to screw your customers over is unacceptable.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Regarding HZD PC port issues.

Nothing that wasn't said before on this thread but the following answer of previous tweet is what got me intrigued.

Thanks for sharing.

It pretty much echoes what we knew before. Still doesn't excuse away the performance and stutters when every other port handles it. This is exactly what porting entails, it's not just about compiling and getting it to run on PC :p.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL]Im sure Ge0force remembers a bunch of discussions with those knobheads [/UWSL];)
Yeah they straight up lied to me about getting up front money from Epic, while admitting it a few weeks later. I've blacklisted them on Steam after that. I don't blame any indie dev for taking Epic's money. Lying about it or being a jerk towards fans who don't like this kind of deals is not done imo.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

Well it may not be just one off deal 👀
Funny story, last year I introduced a friend of mine to 1984 and after she read the first ~50 pages she asked me "None of this is real right?"... Welp...
Granted none of this is exactly new, Google, Apple and others have been doing it for years and built empires because of it, but companies are becoming bolder and bolder and feeling confident enough to bring their bullshit out of the shadows where it has grown for ~30 years, because they truly are above the law, not to mention human decency.
What a great time to be alive...:expressionless-face:

denxos

Aug 4, 2020
The PS Blog Post for the PC release of Horizon is pretty funny:

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition launches today for PC. Horizon Zero Dawn is set in a stunning post-post-apocalyptic world you can lose yourself in, led by a courageous hero who inspires the best in us, and full of captivating action against larger-than-life machines.

Over three years after its debut, and with its highly anticipated sequel Horizon Forbidden West confirmed to be coming to PlayStation 5, it’s a great time to introduce a new audience to this fan-favorite epic. For anyone who’s never owned a PS4, or those who’ve skipped on a generation or more, it’s a great example of the kinds of games we consistently aim to deliver.

Of course, the studio has taken steps to add options and features PC gamers expect: support for mouse and keyboard (or DualShock 4), ultrawide monitor support, higher frame rates and resolutions on sufficiently powerful systems, and more.

We’re confident PC players will fall in love with Aloy and her world. Then, when Horizon Forbidden West arrives for PlayStation 5 and it’s time to find out where Aloy’s journey takes her next, we invite them to join along!
They're actually expecting PC players who skipped this console gen to suddenly rush out to stores to buy a PS5 for Forbidden West after they play this game lol

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Funny story, last year I introduced a friend of mine to 1984 and after she read the first ~50 pages she asked me "None of this is real right?"... Welp...
Granted none of this is exactly new, Google, Apple and others have been doing it for years and built empires because of it, but companies are becoming bolder and bolder and feeling confident enough to bring their bullshit out of the shadows where it has grown for ~30 years, because they truly are above the law, not to mention human decency.
What a great time to be alive...:expressionless-face:
Get them to read Aldous Huxley's Brave New World next. I think we have a mix of 1984/BNW going on. The worst of both worlds.

It's like Pizza and Netflix are the Bread and Circus's of the modern era.
... and now my brain has seized as i'm not a sociologist by trade. lol.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The PS Blog Post for the PC release of Horizon is pretty funny:

They're actually expecting PC players who skipped this console gen to suddenly rush out to stores to buy a PS5 for Forbidden West after they play this game lol
Not surprising. That's exactly what the fans always wanted to hear and believe, that it's just a one off port from Sony.

Sony likes to please their fans.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Or we'll just wait a few years for the PC release. We're used to waiting, it's no big thing anymore.
By the time they pursue a PC release Ampere and the Next AMD Thing will be out too. Though i think the PCIe lane/bandwidth issue might take a while to solve. New mobos and kit will probably cope but older PC kit may fall to one side as games start to make use of the new console tech.

That'll be a while though as i reckon many studios will be going cross-gen for a few releases while they hone their workflows/pipelines/engines and just get used to the tech and there will be plenty of games that won't really lock themselves in like that too.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
How hot is it for youse guys and girls at the mo. My flat is reading 30.6 degrees. Its overcast though so at least the solar gain is minimal. Really muggy though.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
How hot is it for youse guys and girls at the mo. My flat is reading 30.6 degrees. Its overcast though so at least the solar gain is minimal. Really muggy though.
Damn hot. But AC is helping and I found a way to sleep better, so the next heat wave should be fine :).

[UWSL][UWSL]I hope[/UWSL][/UWSL]

Reactions: Joe Spangle

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Dunno the temps but it's been hot and muggy here all day. It's cooling down a bit now as evening comes and it's clouding over. Sitting in front of a laptop and a big screen hasn't helped either. Bleh. I'm in the UK so we don't really do AC we just moan about stuff for the few weeks it's an issue every year.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
All you have to do to move the steam folder is just copy the entire folder and then delete the registry blob thing right?

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I don't see anything controversial about the things you wrote. We all understand the business reasons behind an indie studio taking an exclusivity deal, even a very successful indie studio. The thing I strongly object to is the gaslighting that usually follows. If you decide to accept money in order to refuse access to the game for part of your audience you should have the self awareness to understand that your audience has every right to protest your decision and even not buy your game. You are not owed a purchase and you are certainly not owed immunity from criticism. Trying to present yourself as a victim of unjust customer backlash when you just received an enormous check to screw your customers over is unacceptable.
Without getting into too much in details, let's say there are people who are fanatics and think those devs/publishers should be boycotted because of Epic's exclusivities.
That's why fanaticism/extremism are usually never good on human's behaviour.

Reason: typos
Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
finally got a win in Fall Guys are 4 hours in the beta and 5 in the retail version! So many second places and lost tails in the last seconds.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
finally got a win in Fall Guys are 4 hours in the beta and 5 in the retail version! So many second places and lost tails in the last seconds.
I had the Crow two times now, that instead of pressing Grab I pressed Dive, fucking heart breaking.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Without entering into too much in details, let's say there are people who are fanatics and think those devs/publishers should be boycotted because of Epic's exclusivities.
Hi, I am one of these people, and it isn't fanaticism. It is simply based on the rational decision that the only message these publishers understand is money, thus them taking deals that, if widespread, would harm the PC platform immensely results in my deciding to withdraw all business with them until such a time as they stop taking these deals. At the very least I hope that the financial hit as well as brand tarnishment that results from consumer backlash will be enough to make them think twice next time, if not burn down the practice of exclusivity entirely.

I don't think it's very fair to paint people like me, who boycott developers and publishers, and whoever is making those decisions as fanatics.

I do not pretend that my stance is the best one, but it is the most efficient one I have arrived at with my own reasoning. Fanaticism is the absence of logic and reason, and I hope I have made the case for why this isn't the case here.

Edit : I am also remembering a specific kind of case in which some studios ended up. People like Heart Machine who would not even exist without kickstarter and the PC's openness who have broken what I considered to be an implicit relationship of respect with their customers. These kind of studios will never see my money again when they have shown themselves as so eager to act selfishly when, given how successful they have been, the financial excuse doesn't really fly.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I had the Crow two times now, that instead of pressing Grab I pressed Dive, fucking heart breaking.
I've done that at least once, jump then dive and forgot to grab. I've also jumped under the crown once after being miles ahead. I got my win on the hex game. I thought I was in trouble as I dropped through like 4 levels at once to the last one but that gave me time to carve out a massive hole for everyone else to fall through!

Last edited:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Hi, I am one of these people, and it isn't fanaticism. It is simply based on the rational decision that the only message these publishers understand is money, thus them taking deals that, if widespread, would harm the PC platform immensely results in my deciding to withdraw all business with them until such a time as they stop taking these deals. At the very least I hope that the financial hit as well as brand tarnishment that results from consumer backlash will be enough to make them think twice next time, if not burn down the practice of exclusivity entirely.

I don't think it's very fair to paint people like me, who boycott developers and publishers, and whoever is making those decisions as fanatics.

I do not pretend that my stance is the best one, but it is the most efficient one I have arrived at with my own reasoning. Fanaticism is the absence of logic and reason, and I hope I have made the case for why this isn't the case here.

Edit : I am also remembering a specific kind of case in which some studios ended up. People like Heart Machine who would not even exist without kickstarter and the PC's openness who have broken what I considered to be an implicit relationship of respect with their customers. These kind of studios will never see my money again when they have shown themselves as so eager to act selfishly when, given how successful they have been, the financial excuse doesn't really fly.
Sorry for my poor wording and I'm sorry if you felt attacked by my words. It was not my intention. I apologise for any harm that I may have caused you on the matter. My point lacked context and more important details which I skipped enterely because I thought it wasn't neccesary.

I understand and agree with your points given and thus my call of "fanaticism" was a total mistake. It wasn't my intention to generalize that much and I acknowledge my error for putting everybody i¡n the same bag on the boycoytting issue.

Reason: typos

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Without getting into too much in details, let's say there are people who are fanatics and think those devs/publishers should be boycotted because of Epic's exclusivities.
I dont think there is anything wrong with boycotting developers/publishers that take an eggsclusive moneyhat. Nobody is entitled to a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.