Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
i missed the boat on crysis the first time due to not having a proper pc at the time. was there anything to the game other than really good graphics? cause that's all i ever knew about the game.
Besides revolutionary graphics and physics it combined open world design with levels.
You were thrown into big maps, but not to collect items or unlock POIs. You had objectives and no clear path to do them.
It didn't work out all of the time, but I still wish more games would do this kind of levels. Because most of the time today you are either thrown into open worlds filled with nonsense or fight your way through linear levels.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I go there with a bucket full of Popcorn, knowing that I'm going to read the most ridicilous stuff possible.

I've worked at retail during Uni, mostly night shifts at a gas station for a couple years. That experience thought me to learn how to deal with idiots.
By the way, would you have given me "the hand" during one of my night shifts it would have been the last time you would have been allowed to buy something there. We don't take shit like that from costumers over here. You play rude, we play rude.
I have worked 10 years customer support in a Call Center, I know what you speak of. We either end the call or give the customer a final warning when they are rude.

Also, you clearly see the asshole-ness of most customers when they are speaking to the bottom of the pole and especially female co-workers when you are doing tech support. "Can I speak with someone competent" is the go-to phrase for customers who don't get what they want or are not able to follow guidelines correctly. This was always answered with "Sorry, you are stuck with me" And people who demanded to speak to a higher tier was either denied ("I am the highest technical tier here, my Supervisor is only for administrative issues." Or if he is persistent, we would just give the phone to one of our co-workers who pretends to be a supervisor and the customer is now happy because he thinks he speaks with some important person.
I also did Global escalations who had VIP customers and customers who were escalated to our department (mostly because they wrote an E-Mail or a letter to headquarters) and even if they were a choleric asshole to my co-workers on the normal hotline, they would always be fluffy kittens when they came to Global escalations, because NOW they were taken seriously by a competent person! ... Fucking assholes.
And if they really continued to be a fucking choleric asshole even in global escalations, they would get a lifetime ban and no more support from us.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't want to hate GOG Galaxy 2, but it's so unreliable for me for anything that is not on GOG.

Xbox takes almost 1 min after the client is open sync up and not every game appears there, Minecraft Dungeons and Battletoads does not appear on there.

I want to use GOG Galaxy 2 as a unified client for games not on Steam, but the sync is so unreliable.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Also, did I forget to say how CryTek also fucked up the physics and the open-world-ish exploration in the sequels? And how they fucked up the MP?

And how they killed off Nomad in the fucking comic. Why should I give a shit about Alcatraz.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that the first Crysis and Warhead was one-hit wonders.

Im sorry if this is off-topic, but the talk about Crysis Remastered has made bad memories come up.

I don't even really feel particularly mad at Epic for the exclusive deal, but at CryTek for how much the screwed up the series.

Reactions: low-G and LEANIJA

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So apparently Microsoft Flight Simulator is the 2020 Crysis, the same year where 2007 Crysis will finally become playable.
I chuckled at that but the irony is that that game shares the same issues Cyrsis had 13 years prior : terrible parallelization. It does look good but I think other games should be looked to as examples in terms of performance scaling.

There's no doubt it's up there in terms of cloud and atmosphere rendering though! Hope SC will do something as neat, though FS "cheats" by pulling from real-world data. That helps a lot :).

I'm rolling my eyes at the hordes of people suddenly popping up and being adamant that 30 fps is okay in the PC world again though. MS has to stop astroturfing that game, it's starting to show.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So when is this Nvidia event again ? September 1st ?
And AMD, what are you waiting for AMD, my wallet is... not ready, but has been psychologically prepared !

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I don't want to hate GOG Galaxy 2, but it's so unreliable for me for anything that is not on GOG.

Xbox takes almost 1 min after the client is open sync up and not every game appears there, Minecraft Dungeons and Battletoads does not appear on there.

I want to use GOG Galaxy 2 as a unified client for games not on Steam, but the sync is so unreliable.
I was looking forward to Galaxy 2 when it was first announced, but so far it has failed to grasp me. Steam is still better in almost all ways. Syncing other launchers to it would be a nice addition, but if Valve does this, the usual people will cry "monopoly" again.

Oh btw, regarding NOLF: there's always this... No one will sell No One Lives Forever, so let’s download it

But yeah, NOLF is one of the games I would love to have on Steam someday (or on GOG).

Edit: sorry, there was a server issue, hence the multi-post. Weird. Didnt seem to go through at the time, guess it just posted the same thing 5 times afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and Mivey

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I still think paid mods are a good idea, just make sure 70% or more of the revenue goes to the actual mod developer.
And properly account for the myriad of design issues paying for them introduces :
  • Support
  • Updates
  • Dependencies
  • Proper pricing as layers stack up
I don't think I'd pay a dime for most mods, not with the sheer volume of them you have actually installed. I think a flat subscription to nexus or something allocating a revenue share based on your mods installed would be a fair and realistic pricing model.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
And properly account for the myriad of design issues paying for them introduces :
  • Support
  • Updates
  • Dependencies
I don't think I'd pay a dime for most mods, not with the sheer volume of them you have actually installed. I think a flat subscription to nexus or something allocating a revenue share based on your mods installed would be a fair and realistic pricing model.
I think that can be accounted with proper refund mechanism, plus some version control so people can chose to use old version of mods for whatever reason.

Reactions: Swenhir and lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Also, did I forget to say how CryTek also fucked up the physics and the open-world-ish exploration in the sequels? And how they fucked up the MP?

And how they killed off Nomad in the fucking comic. Why should I give a shit about Alcatraz.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that the first Crysis and Warhead was one-hit wonders.

Im sorry if this is off-topic, but the talk about Crysis Remastered has made bad memories come up.

I don't even really feel particularly mad at Epic for the exclusive deal, but at CryTek for how much the screwed up the series.
The first Crysis was developed for PC, the sequels for Console

So many (german) developers failed hard when they abandoned their loyal PC fanbase.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019

I submitted a refund request for Rocket League telling that I want nothing to do with Epic, I don't expect to be successful, but maybe I get luck.
I can not say that I did not expect that.
And must say that the account syncing and multiplayer between different plattforms is a nice feature.
Sad that service is from Epic.

Interestingly Paradox just started using something similar (open source based): Heroic Labs

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I think that can be accounted with proper refund mechanism, plus some version control so people can chose to use old version of mods for whatever reason.
That's a good point. Still the problem remains that if you sell a mod, you have to maintain it so that it remains as compatible as possible. People routinely abandon them and telling users "Well just revert to 0.8 and don't use it with that other up-to-date mod" doesn't fly for a paying product :p.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
FFFFFFFF

welp today was the first week of classes and I think I may have messed up already. Classes take up something like 18 weeks. Anyway I still signed up for a CS class. One of the issues is that I think I need to participate in Zoom like stuff.... and the class takes place when I worked. I was hoping for VODs but that's what I get for getting my hopes up. Also the book for this class requires an online key and it seems like it's $100+USD and it's only good for one semester..... F me.
Employers can be pretty cool about letting you work around you class schedule. During my last semester of college I was able to work full time while doing several classes.

I fucked up several times dropping $100 on lab keys professors said we needed and we ended up not using. Completely fucked.

And I also had fuck up situations where the course description didn't list all the attendance requirements, only to have the professor pop a 'also you need to physically do this every week on campus in person for >30 minutes. And I'm like WTF.

If game development wasn't literal cenobite torture maybe the games wouldn't be torture to play too.

I'm not even the biggest Crysis fan. I always thought it was hugely overrated in terms of gameplay (kinda like Flight Simulator), I still enjoyed it. But boy oh boy you're right about all that. Crysis 2 was barable to me [read: significantly worse than Crysis 1, but I could still enjoy it some]. Crysis 3 was torture. For some reason I forced myself to play through that, oh my god one of the worst games I've ever forced myself to finish and that's saying something.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Im 98% sure that the upcoming Rocksteady game (should be announced today) is EGSxclusive.

I would be very suprised if it is not.
I would rather them moneyhat the WB Montreal Batman game instead.

Either way Tim hasn't gone after anything that big this year so hopefully the hat is a short one like RDR2 was last year.

I also wouldn't be surprised if one of these 2 games is timed exclusive for PS5 or XsX. You know the console makers are desperate for moneyhats too.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I'm the opposite, I rather have one game I can play for a long time rather than many short ones.
I'd have to have something new & as revolutionary, moddable, and fun as the original Doom for me to want to play a single game only for a while. More that I like a variety of gameplay though, than about the quality of games.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I still think paid mods are a good idea, just make sure 70% or more of the revenue goes to the actual mod developer.
  • Support
  • Updates
  • Dependencies
Nexus has the option to donate to specific modders, Steam could largely copy that idea and probably have the least pushback (and most success) with it. I haven't played many moddable games lately but in there past there are definitely a few I would have thrown a Horse Armor donation towards that was hella better than horse armor. They would need to revisit the ratio of where that money goes because there was (rightly so) criticism of that as well, which doesn't seem to be the case with Nexus, who have their own subscription that supports them (which I have because I definitely did mod a whole ton and even made one myself, and I think Nexus is incredibly valuable)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Employers can be pretty cool about letting you work around you class schedule. During my last semester of college I was able to work full time while doing several classes.

I fucked up several times dropping $100 on lab keys professors said we needed and we ended up not using. Completely fucked.

And I also had fuck up situations where the course description didn't list all the attendance requirements, only to have the professor pop a 'also you need to physically do this every week on campus in person for >30 minutes. And I'm like WTF.

If game development wasn't literal cenobite torture maybe the games wouldn't be torture to play too.

I'm not even the biggest Crysis fan. I always thought it was hugely overrated in terms of gameplay (kinda like Flight Simulator), I still enjoyed it. But boy oh boy you're right about all that. Crysis 2 was barable to me [read: significantly worse than Crysis 1, but I could still enjoy it some]. Crysis 3 was torture. For some reason I forced myself to play through that, oh my god one of the worst games I've ever forced myself to finish and that's saying something.
Ya, I already sent an email to the instructor to get some more information about how the class will work since I still have like 5 days to drop the class without it change my GPA or leaving a withdrawal on my record.

It also sucks because I reached out to him to ask him if I could get an add code for this class since there was still space and I thought that it would mainly be online and now I may have to drop the class and I only wasted his time. He does seem like a chill person so long as your honest and not a duche about stuff.

Also RIP Lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Nexus has the option to donate to specific modders, Steam could largely copy that idea and probably have the least pushback (and most success) with it. I haven't played many moddable games lately but in there past there are definitely a few I would have thrown a Horse Armor donation towards that was hella better than horse armor. They would need to revisit the ratio of where that money goes because there was (rightly so) criticism of that as well, which doesn't seem to be the case with Nexus, who have their own subscription that supports them (which I have because I definitely did mod a whole ton and even made one myself, and I think Nexus is incredibly valuable)
Would also be a neat idea.

I just feel a lot of the criticism that Valve received on this, aside from the revenue split, was pure FUD. Especially if you allow people to get their money back within a few weeks and allow them to revert updates if they break cross-compatibility. I also don't feel that a mod developer, even if they ask me 5 bucks for their mod, has to provide support against millions of other mods, and across a decade. it's the price of 2 coffees, and if the mod is great, why wouldn't you wanna help foster a great mod community?

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
No games played yet today, maybe later. I played nature simulator instead. Thought I might share some pictures. Location is Central New Jersey, USA.

Those of us in the northern hemisphere, prime hiking season in just about here. Between the last week of August and the last week of September, its good. It was a bit warm today but I went in the morning as I've got a busy day planned besides.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I like to play with the side kicks, it's cool to have something different.

But Batman combat was already milked beyond belief with every single AAA under the sun just ripping it off almost entirely, and now it's the same... but with XP, levels, loots, and no doubt scaling, boosts in the store, coop to take down the weekly missions and shit...

I didn't expect something much different to be honest, it's a WB game, it's AAA essence distilled.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
if nothing else it's an attractive game and playing as someone other than batman is cool. i'll need to see what else is going on with it as far as mtx, service stuff, online or whatever to say much else.

Reactions: PhaZZe

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Will get to watching this later, but which Soldier of Fortune games are worth playing?
Get in a time machine and play SOF2 MP when it was new. My god one of the best early communities and such incredible fun.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Gotham Knights looks so much better than I thought it would. The little they showed looks so much more interesting than Avengers too.

Having these underpowered heroes running around Gotham fighting regular criminals and Mr. Freeze makes sense. So much potential too with boss fights.

Unlike Avengers where you have these super powered heroes fighting boring fodder over and over again.

Its definitely missing that polish and quality of Rocksteady tho. Still looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully not too GaaS.

Edit: Also like Batman is really dead and won't show up by the end to save the day lol....:rolleyes:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Not feeling GT at all. I enjoyed Arkham Knight because it was fairly different and a significant jump in fidelity, but to me this looks like Arkham Knight with coop (and potential some real fucking trash mechanics). Not feeling that newness at all.

But yeah comparing to Avengers? I mean that’s just complete fucking garbage.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
G0tham Knights not 60fps? Meh.

Not sure about the level/stats crap. Does every game have to have that now? Like Avengers (ok it does look total shit, just saying) and this?

I hope it's fun but they need to find a way to make the combat feel fresh again. To me it needs to feel more freeform, technical and much less reliant on the auto counter/rthythm deal. Also the characters need to feel very different, not like reskins with all the same hook traversal stuff and just different combat animations. They kinda chose a boring bunch of heroes. Robin and Batgirl (or whatever they're called in this one) look nice enough, the others, eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.