Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
That looks a lot like a Batman Arkham reskin with rpg-lite elements and co-op. Not particularly excited but I like Batman's world so I'll still play it. I wish Batwoman was in it instead of Batgirl.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Suicide Squad is going to be literally just this shit with a different coat of paint and 4 player coop isnt it
I'm guessing it will be the prettier next gen only game unlike GK. Probably similar design but it should feel different since you will be fighting the JL. Plus playable characters should have guns so it could be more a shooter than brawler.

The downside is probably gonna be much more GaaS than GK and not very complete at launch. Hopefully Rocksteady put together a good story.

mssq

lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Any platforms announced for Gotham Knights?
From their press release:

Gotham Knights is playable either solo or as a two-player, online cooperative experience and will be available in 2021 for PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox Series X and Xbox One X and PC.

Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I dont think it will be GaaS, maybe with dlc expansions like Borderlands?
Why not both ? A premium game + store + gacha ?
Because if anything this industry has taught us, it’s that it loves having its cake and eat it, too.
...while spitting out morsels at the face of its customers
...and crying its heart out that it is unfairly criticized

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
This doesn't make ANY sense
The length of a game has nothing to do with the cost of the developer, the graphic style, and the time it takes to make the game.
I am quite sure that "short" games like the """""beloved""""" single-player cinematic experiences cost significantly more than Paradox Grand strategy games.

The discussion should not be about the length of a game and more about efficiency, re-use of assets, better tools, more streamlined working processes, etc.

For example, I don't understand why developers with great gameplay elements don't release more Story DLC. A game like Battletech has thousands of opportunities to tell a story. you have all the assets and game mechanics, you just need writers and the final coders.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
That batman game looks ok and I bet it'll have decent gameplay as well but...
When I think of a batman game the last thing on my mind is a Division reskin with melee combat.

btw, I know robin and batgirl but who are the other 2? I remember that guy with the blue symbol being playable in Arkham Knight but can't remember his name.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
The length of a game has nothing to do with the cost of the developer, the graphic style, and the time it takes to make the game.
I am quite sure that "short" games like the """""beloved""""" single-player cinematic experiences cost significantly more than Paradox Grand strategy games.

The discussion should not be about the length of a game and more about efficiency, re-use of assets, better tools, more streamlined working processes, etc.

For example, I don't understand why developers with great gameplay elements don't release more Story DLC. A game like Battletech has thousands of opportunities to tell a story. you have all the assets and game mechanics, you just need writers and the final coders.
I think the basic message is "fuck crunch."

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Im not sold on it being EGS yet. Hosting a DC Fandome steam sale to hype up EGS exclusives doesnt seem like something Valve would be okay with.
wouldn't be the first time they did ... remember when they were streaming TGAs where egs was announced?

also was going to mention that:
Sale page doesn't work for me anymore.
(and it wasn't working even before the stream, so no one watched the reveal directly on steam)

Reactions: PC-tan

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I think the basic message is "fuck crunch."
Then they are idiots. Crunch has nothing to do with the length of the game, graphics, and the salary of the dev.
Crunch is either an administrative, efficiency, (time) management, or just plain exploitative issue. Has nothing to do with what the tweet is rallying for.

A game which is scheduled to only take 12 months to make, with twice the industry wage, with developers only doing 20 hours a week, with monochrome graphics and a playtime of 2 hours, could still require a massive amount of crunch because the main dev or manager is bad a managing a team/time, tools not working like they thought, developers not as experienced as expected, etc.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm really not feeling that not-batman game unfortunately. Which is a good thing given that they may have taken an exclusivity deal.

Reactions: Alexandros

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

I interpreted the image as games being padded boring crap, which is almost always the case in AAA titles. They could cut the number of missions by half and the games would be considerably better.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
those pseudo RPG elements in Gotham Knights look super lame, probably some pointless level gating too :disapproval-blob:
Still hopefull it could be decent despite first look, been a while since the last Arkham game

Reactions: C-Dub and QFNS

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I'm cautious about Gotham Knights. I'll certainly give it a look cos I love me some Batman, but I can't say I'm not disappointed about the shift to co-op focus and the change in combat to something more akin to the new AC games.

At least it doesn't seem to be a Destiny-like like Avengers.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I interpreted the image as games being padded boring crap, which is almost always the case in AAA titles. They could cut the number of missions by half and the games would be considerably better.
Doesn't resolve crunch.

There are 3 Scenarios here:
1. If it is really padding, it wouldn't be done as crunch, it would be scrapped. Padding is arguably easier to do than thought-out content.
2.If the "padding" is a last low-effort crunch to fill out your world, it is a managing problem, without the padding you would have a dead world with only half the map having meaningful content.
3. If the (sometimes hyperbolic) complaints about padding is an experience and / or skill problem, making the game shorter doesn't solve anything, if the devs couldn't create a masterpiece which was 30 hours long, the chances are very high that they couldn't create a masterpiece that is 10 hours long. And I would argue that making a coherent, story-driven game, that is fun to play is getting more difficult the less time you have to tell the story.

It all comes back to management, efficiency, experience, tools, expectations, and of course: exploitation. Nothing is gained if they slash the game from 20 to 5 hours and the upper management still expects the devs to get it done in an unreasonable time.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
They have 100k followers, they gonna try to promote their games on Steam, even if its EGS exclusive.
idk the whole situation rubs me the wrong way. Valve basically admitted that the policy change a few days ago was because of EGS exclusives being advertised on Steam (and VN's selling 18+ patches off site) so Warner Bros turning around and doing just that less than a week later just seems off.

Maybe Valve figured out thats what they were doing and pulled the Fandome page lol

• Toucan
Reactions: Ge0force
Dec 5, 2018
idk the whole situation rubs me the wrong way. Valve basically admitted that the policy change a few days ago was because of EGS exclusives being advertised on Steam (and VN's selling 18+ patches off site) so Warner Bros turning around and doing just that less than a week later just seems off.

Maybe Valve figured out thats what they were doing and pulled the Fandome page lol

They tweeted about it at "update" time. But I don't know if those tweets are automated or not.

Reactions: Tomasety and Arsene

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

oooooooooooor it's just a bug :|

:evilblob:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
oooooooooooor it's just a bug :|

:evilblob:
I hope! I noticed when the page went up the other day it would try and open a stream before disapearing so I assumed when I saw the page go down that they were trying to fix it.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Reactions: Swenhir and Arsene

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I hope! I noticed when the page went up the other day it would try and open a stream before disapearing so I assumed when I saw the page go down that they were trying to fix it.
Everyone assumed it was going to feature a livestream (I wasn't an exception) but in the end it was Warner who just made the streams exclusive to their website for whatever reason, so yeah, I wouldn't read too much into this.

As I said, while it might end up being an EGS timed nothing points to that right now, in fact, my best guess is that it will be multi-store release from day one.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]As I said, while it might end up being an EGS timed nothing points to that right now, in fact, my best guess is that it will be multi-store release from day one.[/UWSL]
WB gave away 3 Batman games for free on EGS. It's not unlikely that this was part of a more extensive business deal.

Still, as you said many times before: it's useless to guess about games going EGS exclusive. We know that Epic will money hat several more big releases in the next few years. But we also known there will be plenty of other great games to play on pc.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
2022 tho.

Still, the cinematic looks great but being so far out i'm going to wait for gameplay before getting hyped. I do like the idea of laying the slapdown on Mr Boring and chums too. Give me a kick closer to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.