Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Maybe I am getting older and more jaded as a result but I don't really mind CGI trailers anymore. Sure at some point it should be shown how the game looks like but a CGI trailer as some sort of "setting the mood" trailer for the game. Of course there is the problems that lots of games take themselves much more serious as they should and sometimes the CGI trailer is wholly different from the final game like it was the case with Dead Island.

And maybe it is cynical but every gameplay trailer is the same. It is either some cinematic camera while showing gameplay or some narration showing you "the variable tools [game protagonist] has at their disposal for taking on enemies" or the "various side activities which help the people of [game world]" on the quest to stop the bad guys.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Isn't all the GaaS crap just a reskin of the old "everyone needs to release a MMORPG with a subscription model"?

In other words, 1 or 2 games will succeed, the rest will die in some kind of Limbo.
Gaming since the late 80s:

Everything is a point and click adventure.
Everything is Doom.
Everything is an RTS.
Everything needs real time video with actors.
Everything is a WW2 shooter.
MMORPG.
Open World.
Shlooter.
GAAS.

More or less. Maybe I've forgotten something.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Not quite.

In the MMO craze back in the day, everyone made the same game but with different skins, which are WoW clones. But these MMO-lite games can be anything, from action, RPG-lite, shooter, or the combination of them. Virtually any franchise from any big studio can be converted to a gaas.
But still.. Everyone wants to create a GaaS to indefinitely gain cash from the users (at least until the sequel is released).

And it won't work for everyone, since there are limits to how many players exist, and how they spend their time and money.

Everything is COD Modern Warfare perhaps?

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018

Everything is Doom.
Everything is an RTS.
MMORPG.
Open World.
Shlooter.
GAAS.

It will always be like this. Trends rise, trends fall. The new thing is just around the corner which everyone will like at first and then dread it. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just buy and play what you want (or your friends force you into) and carry on.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
If Everything Was Anime we would have world peace and killed covid since february
Nah, we would be still in the renaissance and trapped in an endless inner machiavellian monologue.
And all because in truth we are a secret teenage agent with the missions to assassinate our math teacher. Who is planning to take over the world with a secret perfume, but also really cares about his pupils.
Our city is surrounded by a giant wall and our mysterious father is forcing us to live together with two very hot, subservient girls and forces us to pilot steampunk mechs to fight off a demon invasion at night.
This will go on for forever and ultimately lead to nothing, because our best friend mutated into a blob and initiated the fourth destruction of neo steam punk tokyo X.

:toucan:

Sadrac

Dec 6, 2018
Do we have a Free Games thread?
Here you go

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
It will always be like this. Trends rise, trends fall. The new thing is just around the corner which everyone will like at first and then dread it. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just buy and play what you want (or your friends force you into) and carry on.
I don't think GaaS is a trend as much as a permanent scar that will stay with gaming forever, like micro-transactions, always online DRM, and shoe horning in MP where it doesn't need to be. Not every game will have it, but we're not getting rid of it now that it's here.

Gaming in the 80s:

Everything was a Sidescrolling 2D Platformer
Everything was an Isometric Racer
Everything was a Sidescrolling 2D Shooter
Everything was a Text Adventure
I really miss the variety in themes we got back then. Cute, sci fi, fantasy. Tech limited the genres a bit but we got so many different themes in high production quality.

Everything is Doom.
Everything is an RTS.
MMORPG.
Open World.
Shlooter.
GAAS.

90's also had all the Street Fighter clones and bralwers.

Reactions: ISee

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
I will now ask a stupid question for who has played/ is playing Rimworld. I've basically haven't played since the update with the global world and the option to travel around. What I don't get at the moment is, why would you want to travel around? Do resources end eventually so you have to move to continue? When playing in early access without this option I don't think there was this kind of problem, so I'm wondering what is it used for.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I will now ask a stupid question for who has played/ is playing Rimworld. I've basically haven't played since the update with the global world and the option to travel around. What I don't get at the moment is, why would you want to travel around? Do resources end eventually so you have to move to continue? When playing in early access without this option I don't think there was this kind of problem, so I'm wondering what is it used for.
I did it for faster materials/new cybernetic/powers/move mysettlement (you can even enable to be able to control more then one but that sounds like a nightmare hence why you need to enable it)/missions

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Yesterday I forgot to upload the weekly top seller and even tho it hasn't been a very interesting week, well, it's always cool to see what has been people buying.

Once again the winner is Fall Guys, it's just an unstoppable force of nature that has come to stay if they know how to keep the momentum. 2 editions like last week.

The other winner here is Microsoft Flight Simulator, another success for MS on Steam :blobeyes:

Among Us still strong after the bump of the game, ROR2 stays in due to the sale, both NBA2K20 and GTA V stay in due to the sales too.

And two amazing indie games come in for the first time, Rogue Legacy 2 and Spiritfarer, here's hope they are successful and stay in for a very long time :cat-heart-blob:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The other winner here is Microsoft Flight Simulator, another success for MS on Steam :blobeyes:
I am utterly disgusted at their pricing and all but it's remarkable that despite all the people astroturfing about gamepass, it's still in the top spots on Steam.

It's also one of the only really new sims to come out with such fanfare in over a decade, it's honestly not unexpected.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Chronicon is a great aRPG, but the balancing is completely broken at the moment. I'm playing with a brand new character on Epic difficulty, and I'm breezing through the game without dying or even having to use a health potion. The developer says the story is meant to be easy and that the real challenge can be found in the end game content. I really don't understand this. Why do I have to complete a 40 hour story first before getting any challenge in a game? Diablo 3 had the same problem, which is the reason why I quit playing after Act 2.

Reactions: Alexandros

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Are you guys getting tired of Fallguys yet? I'm thinking about getting it next month but if I have no one to play with then its no fun.
If you get it to play with friends, you should maybe reconsider. While it's true you can do it, I'm not convinced it's fun as a group.

• Hug
Reactions: PossiblyPudding

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I need help from someone who speaks German. I need to ask a customer service to issue a refund for the unavailable items and ship those that are in stock and I wouldn't want them to cancel the whole order due to poor translation lol. Automatic translation gave me this: "Können Sie bitte die nicht verfügbaren Artikel zurückerstatten und diejenigen, die verfügbar sind, versenden? Vielen Dank." Is it correct? Thanks!

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I need help from someone who speaks German. I need to ask a customer service to issue a refund for the unavailable items and ship those that are in stock. The automatic translation gave me this: "Können Sie bitte die nicht verfügbaren Artikel zurückerstatten und diejenigen, die verfügbar sind, versenden? Vielen Dank." Is it correct? Thanks!
That's correct

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I was watching some Windbound gameplay and it looks pretty nice but I'm not entirely sold on it. A lot of similarities with the Zelda series, that's for sure.

The main character is better than Link

All video game characters are better than Link

• Eyes
  • Toucan
Reactions: sk2k and Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.