Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019

Go Unity! Fuck Tim up! :evilblob:

it's good to see some real good potential for growth in unity's future and by extension the potential for indie devs. it's really a game changer in the mobile space especially.

i just hope this doesn't lead to bad decisions in the future in pursuit of endless growth.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I can't tell how long it is because the Win Store doesn't know how to keep time, and I also haven't finished it yet. I'm quoting for visibility

I will say, I would not be surprised if this is a 30hr game. It has that feel. I feel like I have to be 15-20hrs into this, and it seems like there's still a ways to go.
I'm about 22 hours in and I'm more than halfway through, maybe 2/3 done?
I've been focusing a lot on the management side of things, as well as exploring the world.
I certainly don't see this ending before the 35 hours mark for me.
Thanks folks. I was looking for a short game to play between two long RPGs and thought of trying this one but, at 30+ hours, it's definitely not short.

Reactions: C-Dub and Nabs

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Yea good stuff from EA. After beating Inquisition last month I launched the game today and unlocked 31 cheevos :)

If that Mass Effect trilogy remaster rumor turns out to be true I hope they put steam achievements for it too as the originals didn't have them iirc.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
100k+ reviews means that the game has sold over 3 million doesn't it?
It's a little tricky but this can be done with free software.

Download OBS and set it up with your desired video and audio source.

Go to Tools - Output Timer and set 1h20 (or what you need) in "stop recording after" and check "enable recording timer every time" (if you need to automate it)
This will tell OBS to stop recording after 1h20.

If you can launch OBS when the Zoom thing has already started, you don't need anything else.

In case you need to schedule it:

You first need to create a batch file (otherwise scheduling OBS to launch will result in an error for some reason).

To do that:
Launch notepad and paste this: start /d "C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit" obs64.exe --startrecording (if you install OBS in a different directory, insert the correct one between the "")
Save the file (on desktop is fine)
Edit the extension of the file you just created from .txt to .bat

Launch Task Scheduler on Win10
Click 'Create basic task' and give it a name
Select how often the event should be triggered depending on your needs
Select 'Start a program'
Select the .bat file you've just created
Finish

That's it. Don't forget to be logged into your account when you leave your house.

If you want, you can also schedule your system to shut down with Task Scheduler. Do as above and write "shutdown" under program/script and "/s /t 0" as argument.

Hope it helps.

Okay so I tired this and for the most part it works and I'm happy with the results. One issue seems to be that Zoom stops after 40 min from inactivity so I can't just start Zoom hours before. So I will likely have to come home before class starts and then have OBS record and then I could just leave before class ends and go back to work and OBS/Windows will just end the recording and also shut off my PC and this would be within that 40 min of inactivity thing.

By the way I am surprised by just how small the file size for the recording is. It's only 378MB for a recording of over 1 hour..... Shadow play takes up like 1GB for just 1 min of video.... or something like that.

Also I am still waiting to hear back from my instructor since I am having issue signing up for something since the enrollment key that he assigned in in valid.

Also will the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga ever go on sale again? And I plan to purchase more Lego Star wars sets in the future

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Also will the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga ever go on sale again? And I plan to purchase more Lego Star wars sets in the future
Use voucher for 10% off ALLYOUCANPLAY

Or wait for the complete Skywalker saga game instead

Reactions: Echoes and Tomasety

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
100k+ reviews means that the game has sold over 3 million doesn't it?
No sir, 100k+ reviews means the game has sold a ton of copies but not over 3 Million as it's a bit more complex

to get an estimated number of copies you must multiply the number of reviews * 20, 40 or 60 as the new metric, it's a wide area so don't expect exact numbers there but works very well.

Example, RDR2 has 95k reviews and it sold around 1.3 Million copies on Steam. as far as we know.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
No sir, 100k+ reviews means the game has sold a ton of copies but not over 3 Million as it's a bit more complex

to get an estimated number of copies you must multiply the number of reviews * 20, 40 or 60 as the new metric, it's a wide area so don't expect exact numbers there but works very well.

Example, RDR2 has 95k reviews and it sold around 1.3 Million copies on Steam. as far as we know.
Well Planet Coaster was at 20k reviews when Frontier said they had sold 1 mill copies.

I think reviews = sales varies a lot.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
My GPU is not recognized by Windows anymore. I have to use a VGA cable (instead of the usual DVI cable), otherwise my screen is all black.
Wow long time since I heard anyone mention those cables!:D Speaking of cables, one cable or interface that pretty much has always broke or been broken on my screens is DisplayPort.

Dec 5, 2018
Well Planet Coaster was at 20k reviews when Frontier said they had sold 1 mill copies.

I mean 20k x 20 = 400k and 20k x 60 = 1.2M so it's within range.

However different type of games will have different amount of review, bigger games are likely to have a higher amount of review. So just take those numbers as an estimate and nothing more.

Reactions: Tomasety

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I made an alt in FFXIV for my friends on Crystal DC... I'm not playing something besides FFXIV for a while, aren't I?

Reactions: Arsene

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
On top of all that has been said about reviews/guessestimation metric, there's then reviews = owners but reviews/owners != sales. So, as always, there are many variables to account for, so take the results with a grain of salt.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

On top of all that has been said about reviews/guessestimation metric, there's then reviews = owners but reviews/owners != sales. So, as always, there are many variables to account for, so take the results with a grain of salt.
that's why the range is from *20 up to *60, because every game is completely different.

You must take into consideration the kind of population of each game (is that population used to give a review? how often?) if the game has any kind of exception or variable that wasn't present on others (HZD for example has 20k reviews but a good portion of those are reports of bad port) and in general a lot of potential changes that switches the numbers in all ways possible.

This is not a 100% true metric, it's just a data point to help us understand the estimation.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

One of my favorite games from the summer festival got a kickstarter.
I tried the demo a couple months ago and it was a fun mix of TD and classic (S)NES Zelda exploration with a combat that's comparable to a puzzle game rather than a typical action-adventure . For 15$ it's a pretty inexpensive risk and if you back during the first 48h you get a spin-off game that's classical TD.

Reactions: Tizoc

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
My Wasteland 3 backer key just arrived in my Inbox! :smiling-eyes:
Activated it yesterday. Kinda surprised with the 5pm PDT launch date. I assume it's global? That would mean the game is unlocking at like 2am here in Central European Time.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Control releasing in two days by the way.

Why no hype Meta?

RayTracing, DLSS 2.0, cool SCP foundation like setting.
40€ for the Ultimate edition with both DLCs ain't that bad imo (though I don't know how bad regional pricing is).
Also, you'll be able top play the ultimate version on PC2 as well. For free

:toucan:

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I was hyped for Control once. But now, I've waited this long, I'll wait until it gets on a decent sale. By then, I should hopefully have a new GPU as well for the sweet DLSS 2.0 + RayTracing experience.

And Tell Me Why releases on the same day, so... :cat-heart-blob:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

This is indeed sad news. People cheating and trying to circumvent any possible restriction tells how far some are willingly to go.

that's why the range is from *20 up to *60, because every game is completely different.

You must take into consideration the kind of population of each game (is that population used to give a review? how often?) if the game has any kind of exception or variable that wasn't present on others (HZD for example has 20k reviews but a good portion of those are reports of bad port) and in general a lot of potential changes that switches the numbers in all ways possible.

This is not a 100% true metric, it's just a data point to help us understand the estimation.
That was my point. I think what you said was really good and on point and should be placed/be taken as a golden rule everytime someone needs to understand how the metric system works.
Your sentences are great as always.

Reason: typos
Last edited:
Reactions: Arsene

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Why no hype Meta?

40€ for the Ultimate edition with both DLCs ain't that bad imo (though I don't know how bad regional pricing is).

Epic moneyhat = buying only on steep discount, if ever.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
The 27th is for Wasteland 3, Control can wait.

This is indeed sad news. People cheating and trying to circumvent any possible restriction tells how far some are willingly to go.
Haven't seen a lot of cheaters, maybe only 4-5. I reported them all. Most are of the flying type but I had one a couple of days ago that was much more subtle. I didn't even notice it until the finale at Fall Mountain, instead of massive jumps or straight flying they just moving maybe 25% faster than everyone else. They did fail the grab jump at the end and were spat out the conveyor belt and someone else won.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018

Why no hype Meta?

I got it bundled with GPU to EGS earlier and haven't even started it yet.

• Sad
Reactions: ISee

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Are there any sale events coming up in the next month or so?
Gamescom maybe?
There's currently a super nice price for new Humble Bundle Choice subscribers related to Gamescom. This month the bundle cost just as little as 4'5€. Besides this I don't expect more relevant sales soon. Maybe something related to Tokyo Game Show 2020?

So you can't play the game anymore if you get banned?
You can't anymore. That's why they use alt accounts to bypass the ban system

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This is so ridiculous and heartbreaking. How does the algorithm work??

Meanwhile on Steam (incognito mode)..

This is both heartbreaking and slightly infuriating considering Steam gets decried for its lack of gatekeeping all the time.

I'm a bit too tired to be able to express this well but no other platform comes close in terms of discoverability and giving everyone a fair chance, in terms of promotion and always trying to be a reflection of the market in its entirety and not simply the few publishers that pay to remain on the front page, not to mention bringing games tailored to your tastes to the forefront.

My preferred platform is actually GoG for its commitment to offline downloads and lack of DRM but it's impossible not to see the work Valve has put in here.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Why no hype Meta?

Im hyped, getting it day 1

But don't have a raytracing/dlss card yet, so don't care about those technologies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Why no hype Meta?

I guess Meta is keeping its hype .... under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.