Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
eh i can't muster any outrage for a $70 game. inflation happens, prices go up, and they are toys anyway. $60 was out of impulse range for me so i already wasn't buying much at launch and that isn't gonna change, $30-40 is more my style so i just don't buy til it hits that price. if someone does buy at $60/70, that's on them.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Cyberpunk and Elden Ring would be the only future releases that I would drop 70$ for at launch. Can't think of much else tbh.

Everything drops in price real quick anyways. If every PC AAA game becomes 70$...they will be flopping hard to the point where you see 25% off shortly after release.

• Eyes
Reactions: Li Kao and Tomasety

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
breath of the wild 2 and cyberpunk are about it for full price for me in the forseeable future. can't see myself spending over $40 for anything else that's been announced as of yet.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
For America anyways, $70 isn’t rage inducing at all. I’m just that much less likely to preorder and will wait longer for sales for games I really don’t care that much about (which will be the majority of games I buy).

I’d pay even more if it meant games were permanently banned from having shitty pay to win mechanics, GaaS bullshit, or even paid cosmetic DLC.

I remember when games really did very often cost more than $60 US. PC games, console games, many of em.

However games weren’t a giant pile of horseshit back then either.
[UWSL] [/UWSL]

Reactions: Tomasety and warp_

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The fact that Activision is pushing 70$ is bad news tho. COD won't flop. And their earnings will only grow over the next year because they charged extra. Take-Two already said they are gonna do it as well for select titles.

As a result other big publishers/devs aren't gonna stand by and watch competition grow like that. So I would expect all major publishers to have 70$ titles at launch this time next year. And soon after that all the other usual 60$ non AAA games will become 70$ too because ofc they will.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The Wasteland 2 UI was also dreadful, both in design and functionality. I guess the Wasteland 3 UI is what happens if you take that and make it console-"optimized" :p
Yeah, I have given up any hope that inXile will ever make non-ugly UIs for their games.
But to be fair here, I so don't give a fuck how the UI looks like in a CRPG. I loved Wasteland 2, despite its UI and if Wasteland 3 manages to improve on that formula, I will fall in love with it.
I really advise people to not sleep on this game for something as superficial as how a menu looks like. At least the controller UI in Wasteland 2 was fairly functional, in that you could learn how to get everything done with just a few button presses. I hope Wasteland 3 maintains that.

Reactions: QFNS

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
The fact that Activision is pushing 70$ is bad news tho. COD won't flop. And their earnings will only grow over the next year because they charged extra. Take-Two already said they are gonna do it as well for select titles.

As a result other big publishers/devs aren't gonna stand by and watch competition grow like that. So I would expect all major publishers to have 70$ titles at launch this time next year. And soon after that all the other usual 60$ non AAA games will become 70$ too because ofc they will.
I hope you're wrong, but you're probably exactly right. And publishers won't pass up the chance to raise prices due to a new gen -- it's much easier to get people to shrug their shoulders and cough up, as opposed to if they were to raise prices just because. Publishers won't wait another few years for next-next-gen to raise prices, especially once one or two of them does it -- you can count on it.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
But my pay doesn't. 🤔
🤷‍♂️

then wait or move on to a job that pays you what you are worth (obviously not something easily done in a pandemic and i don't mean it literally anyway in case someone thought that(

but to me games are a toy and you can always wait for the price you want to pay. or just download them, doesn't matter to me lol.

thinking back, years ago when i had a lot less income i spent a lot more on a day one purchases. in hindsight it would be nice to take a lot of those $50/60 purchases back 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomasety

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
then wait or move on to a job that pays you what you are worth
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be hostile but that's not the best thing to reply to someone with the argument of 70$ games. I'm struggling as well and telling someone "either suck it or find a new job" when the price increase is arguably bullshit given how much these publishers earn already...

I guess I just find that it lacks empathy for people who are already having it tough and ignores just how damn hard it can be to find a job that doesn't suck your soul away nor exploits you. Or at all for that matter.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
so wait? there's no urgent need to buy a game on day one if you are struggling already or if you are not struggling. maybe that's not empathetic but it's a toy, not something needed to live.

Reactions: Mivey and Tomasety

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
so wait? there's no urgent need to buy a game on day one if you are struggling already or if you are not struggling. maybe that's not empathetic but it's a toy, not something needed to live.
Or protest the price increase.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
okay go for it i guess.

like i said, i can't muster even a single care to care about a game price when i already wasn't paying the full price anyway. i can live with waiting an extra month or two instead.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
Price increase could be ok if all these companies weren't already having record profits well before COVID and lockdowns since these games come with MTX/expansions/passes whatever and those help extend the product life and profitability a lot.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
so just pirate them. you get the toy and the corp gets zero money. that's always an option, especially if you think the corp is rich enough already.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
waiting it is then 😆 or just don't buy them. that's the other way to not give the corp your money. plenty of games that run cheaper to support.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
There's no solution. CoD, FIFA and other blockbusters that sell billions a year are usually the only games people buy every year. Unless you can convince them to not do so, a 10 dollar increase won't even register.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
I'll advise acti to jack up the base price to $500 then. No need to day 1, after waiting around 10 years and 80% discount you get cod for measly $100.
Also you won't believe how many things aren't needed to live. Like centralised water and power supply - just take a shit under a tree and can do the same in the dark so need for electricity.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
yeah that's true a copy of call of duty and water are pretty much the same level of importance
There's no solution. CoD, FIFA and other blockbusters that sell billions a year are usually the only games people buy every year. Unless you can convince them to not do so, a 10 dollar increase won't even register.
🤷‍♂️

seems like it's down to my suggestions then: wait, pirate, skip. that's it. i'm betting most here were already doing one of those three for new games anyway so it's not really anything changing. could add in subscription services as an option too since there are so many now. maybe they aren't popular here but they are still an option. each person has their own parameters of what's acceptable to them.

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
as someone that's gone without flushing toilets and also gone without games, i'll take the toilet over the game any day of the week. 😆

and yes! just skip overpriced/aaa you don't want to fuck with for whatever reason and play something else. i haven't paid $60 for a game since botw1 and i don't feel like i've missed out or anything. i sure won't pay $70 for most things either, and that's with changing nothing about my buying habits.

it's the best time to be playing games and being mad about an increase to a price i already wasn't paying seems like such a trifle when there's always another fish in the sea (and it's probably a game i already paid for and haven't played yet).

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

I expect the $70 thing to start immediately on consoles. I’d be surprised if publishers and Sony / MS hadn’t already agreed this was a thing they were going to do.

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
🤷‍♂️

then wait or move on to a job that pays you what you are worth (obviously not something easily done in a pandemic and i don't mean it literally anyway in case someone thought that(

but to me games are a toy and you can always wait for the price you want to pay. or just download them, doesn't matter to me lol.
It's really not that simple. I personally don't care much about Call of Duty specifically so it can be $200 and my life would be the same - but there are larger things at play here, like what impact this has on the market.

Games can be a luxury, but for the most part it's much more than that because it's such an easy way for people to connect and socialize in today's climate, which is fairly important for one's social status and mental health. Kids going to school will be influenced by what their peers are playing, so if all their friends are playing Call of Duty they'll of course want to play Call of Duty - which means their parents need to shell out $70 if they want their kid to play with their friends, which may not be financially viable for all.

There's a long discussion to be had regarding this topic; game development costs, revenue etc. but I really don't think it's as black and white as you portray. You can criticize this with legitimate grounds and people have all the right in the world to express their disagreement with it.

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
okay cool, other people do, so how about letting them vent out their frustrations with it?
when did i stop anyone or say they shouldn't? i simply stated my opinion.
It's really not that simple. I personally don't care much about Call of Duty specifically so it can be $200 and my life would be the same - but there are larger things at play here, like what impact this has on the market.

Games can be a luxury, but for the most part it's much more than that because it's such an easy way for people to connect and socialize in today's climate, which is fairly important for one's social status and mental health. Kids going to school will be influenced by what their peers are playing, so if all their friends are playing Call of Duty they'll of course want to play Call of Duty - which means their parents need to shell out $70 if they want their kid to play with their friends, which may not be financially viable for all.

There's a long discussion to be had regarding this topic; game development costs, revenue etc. but I really don't think it's as black and white as you portray. You can criticize this with legitimate grounds and people have all the right in the world to express their disagreement with it.
this is the same argument epic made for why fornite needed to be on the app store. just find that kinda funny. and i don't agree with that reasoning for either argument.

i don't think games should be price capped for the sake of mental health or social status and i never will. if parents can't say no to their kids that's on them but it's not a reason to cap prices. parents don't need to shell out for anything. i didn't get every game i wanted as a kid and still managed to have friends.

when i think of things that need to be financially viable for all i think of food, power, water, internet, healthcare, and education. video games don't go into that category for me.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
You know what's so good about MMO and service games? You can play them instead of buying new games.

If I can't afford new games, I'd just wait until it's cheap while I play plenty of MMOs I can hop in anytime. FFXIV, PSO2, MH World, Division 2, Destiny 2, Guild Wars 2, and the upcoming New World can satisfy my gaming need for the whole year and sway me from buying new games.

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
this is the same argument epic made for why fornite needed to be on the app store. just find that kinda funny. and i don't agree with that reasoning for either argument.

i don't think games should be price capped for the sake of mental health or social status and i never will. if parents can't say no to their kids that's on them but it's not a reason to cap prices. parents don't need to shell out for anything. i didn't get every game i wanted as a kid and still managed to have friends.

when i think of things that need to be financially viable for all i think of food, power, water, internet, healthcare, and education. video games don't go into that category for me.
Hold on, you're jumping into completely different discussions here!

The Epic controversy is a different matter, but they have the ability to completely reverse the action at any time in order to get Fortnite back on the app store. They're not constrained financially or by any lack of rights.

And I don't think anyone is arguing for capping the price across the board? People are just expressing their opinions and how feasible shelling out $70 for a title such as Call of Duty is for them, which usually is a product of its time and you'll probably want to be part of when it's new and popular. I wouldn't be shocked if an enthusiast product like Star Citizen was priced at $80 or something, but charging $70 for a mainstream title aimed at the more casual market is a different scenario.

I didn't say it's a commodity comparable to food or healthcare, I'm just saying games are not solely a luxury good.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i wasn't directly relating epic's situation and your argument there. just made me laugh that it was the same argument of "children use it to socialize and are influenced by peers" that's all.

granted times are different now and i'm quite possibly the old fogey here but i've never seen games as any more than toys. they are very sophisticated toys, sure. but still toys. i simply never considered games something like a vital social tool. but even if they are, phones still exist. so does console group chat, so does zoom and discord. all these tools can be used to keep up socially too.

at some point the price of a base game disc was bound to go up. its been like 15 years since it happened last and prices will still drop over time as they always do. to me, it just sounds like fomo. which is...i dunno, a weird thing to complain about. you'll always pay an extra charge to be in there first.

this is a sidenote, and maybe i'm misjudging, but i'm surprised that a pc forum so up in arms over this. i figured folks were already waiting for deals on games anyway or getting them discounted at launch. seems to me like that's been the way on pc for years.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I was able to sign up for the class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also wow my campus book store really wants to screw people over. The key for the class directly online is about $70USD for a semester class. But the book store was selling it for $130USD...... I hope that key is for more than one semester other wise dang.

Also I feel like some of this could have been solved a lot faster had I asked my instructor what he class key was since it seemed like on the online syllabus he used an old key and most likely told the class the new one on the first day. Yay for copy paste syllabus.

By the way the class is Discrete Structures, yay a Logic CS class..... I'm screwed since it has a lot to do with proofs and stuff and i'm more than a week behind in the Class.

On to good news. My SEGA Genisis Mini arrived. It was the first ever console that I owned (I think) But I would not get mine until 2001 or so from a Swapmeet. Also it does have some of the games that I remember on it including the Mickey and Donald game.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
and i guess mentioning game pass isn't cool but the threat of rising game prices almost certainly factored in to the ms push towards that service (and xcloud) for next gen consoles. that and having like one exclusive game. :LOL:

it could end up being a major factor in the casual market but the casual market is also buying $1000 iphones so who the hell knows what they think about game/console prices?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
and i guess mentioning game pass isn't cool but the threat of rising game prices almost certainly factored in to the ms push towards that service (and xcloud) for next gen consoles. that and having like one exclusive game. :LOL:

it could end up being a major factor in the casual market but the casual market is also buying $1000 iphones so who the hell knows what they think about game/console prices?
As amazing as Gamepass has been...I don't see it surviving with the current prices. I think both PC and console gamepass will settle around 15-20$ per month by the end of the next gen. Similar to high tier of netflix. And it will probably still be worth it if MS continues to flex with 1st/3rd party content.

The last 2 months and this upcoming week of gamepass PC has been ridiculous.

Undermine
Carrion
Flight Sim
Wasteland 3
CK3
Touryst
Battletoads
Neon Abyss
Grounded
Spiritfarer
Tell me why

Its absolutely insane they are still only charging 5$ a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.