Community MetaSteam | August 2023 - IT'S MECHA TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I see Embracer is skipping their Extender phase and moving straight to their Extinguisher phase. Fuck them.
Not gonna lie, I find these posts strange.

Volition's last three games have been commercial failures.
They have been given huge budget and several delays on their latest game, and still released a commercial and critical failure.
At some point, you gotta stop throwing good money after bad. And I would be surprised if Embracer didn't try to shop Volition around, but understandably nobody was interested. Then maybe they hoped Steam release would turn it around, but it launched with pathetic 3000 peak concurrent. So we are where we are.

• This!
Reactions: Parsnip

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Still standing firm and no Starfield for me.

I have only just started Act 2 of BG3 in my Co-Op playthrough and finishing off some straggler bits in Act 1 in my Solo game. Plus trying to do The Weapons Refrain (Ultimate) in FF14. Even when I am done with BG3 has me tempted to do something like Original Sin, Pathfinder or one of the other CRPG's I have. Hell even something like Neverwinter.

It's looking like Starfield will be my Christmas game at the earliest. I am even tempted to just Gamepass it for a couple of months and then buy it once the mods are more mature and a lot more of them out there.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It's only "bad" in the sense that this is a studio used to getting like 92+ and being treated like one of the premier studios around. It'd be the same if druckmann's next game got a 86 or the next GTA got a 87.

I call it the beginning of a long overdue course correction for BGS games. What they do is no longer really that special in an age where everyone and their mother are making open world games with shallow RPG-lite systems.
To be honest many Sony games have scores above realistic ones.

• This!
Reactions: Kyougar and Lashley

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Reading through some of the Starfield reviews and doing best to avoid spoilers.

But looks like biggest negative seems to be very slow to start main story. IGN review said 20+ hours before it really got going.

Other than that it seems like a very systems heavy game and not much handholding/direction of any kind. I guess that explains some of the Oblivion comparisons that were made weeks/months back. The game devolving into a fast travel fest is too be expected as every Bethesda game suffers from that after playing for a certain amount of time. But overall reading/skimming through other things and the game is massive. Can't wait to play it.

Also seeing Volition get shutdown after their last game being EGS exclusive and the dev basically dead by the time the game came to Steam. I've never been a big fan of them or anything but it definitely sad to see it. Not saying things would have been differently if it launched on steam but man...you can't deny games launching on steam are massive compared to whatever other store.

Reactions: Cacher

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Regardless of whether you expected the game to get in the 90s or not, anyone saying 87 is a bad score has fuckin' rocks for brains. Seriously.
The reason why many people think so is because many sites are using a 6-10 scale for their review scores. When I was reviewing games for a local website, I used 80+ only for excellent games, while 90+ was reserved for classics.

Reactions: Cacher and C-Dub

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
To be honest the thing with Volition isn't like... super surprising...

If they never got bought for 150 Million in 2018 they would of closed by now on their own because how horrible they've objectively been doing even with help. Does the news suck? Yeah, but I think they sort of knew that they had to get this to work or they were screwed.

If/when Embracer goes down, shit will be real ugly
I mean that's entirely a possibility but they still have all of the IP/content from the studios so they can just let other studios make shit for them like Games Workshop & Warhammer and just get paid money for nothing but shitty nostalgia

Or just sell that entire catalogue to some other company

• This!
Reactions: Parsnip

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Yeah this is the last time I will ever buy shit from AMD. Even updating drivers is a pain in the ass.

I will be switching to nvidia as soon as money allows it.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman and inky

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
for now...
Sony seems like they're at least smart enough to know trying to make their own storefront won't work out for them. They're also treating PC gaming more as an accessory to their business and not as a core part of it, making a whole storefront seems like far more commitment than they're willing to make.

Reactions: lashman

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I just don't get how people don't understand that you need money to make games and games need to make you money to continue making games. Embracer can't just keep funding Volition projects with $100-$200M in hope that one of those will be success. Deep Silver tried with Agents of Mayhem, then got bought by embracer, then they tried to go back to bigger and popular IP and made Saint's Row that failed again. And that can't be put only on suits. Saint's Row didn't just have bugs and performance issues, it had issues with fundamental design of the game, you can't put all of that on suits. As much as it sucks and hurts at some point you need to put things down, look at the what you did up to that point and if it sucks you need to be honest with yourself and accept that. In case of Saint's Row many of the game design sucked. Game got delayed multiple times and even after that got released in bad state. And even after year of pathing and new content things didn't change that much.

After all that what was Embracer supposed to do? They could either fire half of the studio and focus on smaller project that they honestly don't need (they need AAA releases), they could sell studio but who would buy studio that in last 10 years released one mediocre addon and 2 AAA games that bombed, convert studio to support studio but they were in kinda expensive area so maintaining it would be expensive and they want to cut costs. It sucks for the devs that studio got shut down and they got laid off, but unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees and makes no financial sense to keep spending money on high risk things that Volition became in past 10 years.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The reason why many people think so is because many sites are using a 6-10 scale for their review scores. When I was reviewing games for a local website, I used 80+ only for excellent games, while 90+ was reserved for classics.
Even on the 6-10 scale, 8.7/10 is above average, assuming 8/10 is average.

By no metric has it been reviewed as a bad game. But I guess given the hype, and the fact that there's been a few high profile games getting amazing scores, and then games falling short of those expectations (FFXVI), people are just losing their minds over this hyped release.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Even on the 6-10 scale, 8.7/10 is above average, assuming 8/10 is average.

By no metric has it been reviewed as a bad game. But I guess given the hype, and the fact that there's been a few high profile games getting amazing scores, and then games falling short of those expectations (FFXVI), people are just losing their minds over this hyped release.
Well when Horizon Zero Dawn an "RPG" gets 89 on Metacritic then Bethesda RPG getting 87 looks bad XD

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I can't say much on the Volition news because I don't have any real knowhow of their games. I just know they haven't been putting out great games for a while. It absolutely sucks for everyone working there and I hope they all land on their feet, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.