Community MetaSteam | August 2023 - IT'S MECHA TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Goddamn do I love PC gaming right now even more.

Jim ryan's really testing just how far brand name will take him since he took over. I think he wants to be fired and despite his best efforts nothing he does tanks the brand.

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
Jim ryan's really testing just how far brand name will take him since he took over. I think he wants to be fired and despite his best efforts nothing he does tanks the brand.
It's one of those weird things where I actually think Sony bosses sitting in Japan don't care as long as it makes money. The Sony juggernaut has so many other levers that gaming is just an afterthought it seems like at times.

Reactions: lashman

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What's up with mechanical keyboards? Saw lots of cheap ones on amazon, like 50 euro, and they look exactly like the ones that used to cost like couple hundred just few years ago...

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What's up with mechanical keyboards? Saw lots of cheap ones on amazon, like 50 euro, and they look exactly like the ones that used to cost like couple hundred just few years ago...
They just aren't that expensive to build, and no longer niche.
The niche high-end market is moving on to even more obscure features (of even more doubtful relevance, but which are admittedly cool), like configurable hall effect switches.

What made me happy this year is that a company finally built a "normal" ergonomic mechanical keyboard at a relatively OK price (given the general pricing of more specialized keyboards).
I actually changed my keyboard at home for the first time in 15 years as a result of that (Was using a gen 2 Microsoft Natural Keyboard)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
As far as mechanical keyboards go, my girlfriend and I just bought a Ducky One each and we both love them.

Cost about £100 a pop, and in my view is worth every penny. Fucking sucks when I have to go into the office and use the terrible membrame HP keyboards on every desk.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I might go for one around 50-70, seems reasonable quality and price.

how are the brands like epomaker, magic refiner, yindiao, k3? Those are the ones I see on Amazon being pretty cheap.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
As far as mechanical keyboards go, my girlfriend and I just bought a Ducky One each and we both love them.

Cost about £100 a pop, and in my view is worth every penny. Fucking sucks when I have to go into the office and use the terrible membrame HP keyboards on every desk.
I was so sick of the office membrane keyboard that I started taking there a clicky Logitech MX Mechanical from their master series. Not the best (I don't like how low the profile is) but it's so much better than what I had there. And more importantly, I was given it for free.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I might go for one around 50-70, seems reasonable quality and price.

how are the brands like epomaker, magic refiner, yindiao, k3? Those are the ones I see on Amazon being pretty cheap.
I'd recommend Keychron if you want something cheap and quality. Their K Pro series is pretty great, and V and Q are also there if you want something customisable but a bit more expensive.

70 is a bit too cheap, though. You should look at around 100.

The niche high-end market is moving on to even more obscure features (of even more doubtful relevance, but which are admittedly cool), like configurable hall effect switches.

What made me happy this year is that a company finally built a "normal" ergonomic mechanical keyboard at a relatively OK price (given the general pricing of more specialized keyboards).
I actually changed my keyboard at home for the first time in 15 years as a result of that (Was using a gen 2 Microsoft Natural Keyboard)
Speaking of, Keychron also something in that direction too. This one also allows you to put in different switches:

It's not low profile, though

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Membrane mechanicals :smart-thinking-blob:
(and yes, those actually exist)

• Eyes

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
Now that I look at it, Durante 's keyboard looks like a more comfortable ergonomic version of the Logitech one I use at work.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Oh, this looks neat! Question from a total noob in this area: do the switch types come down to just preference or are there some pros and cons (other than the noise)?

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
Oh, this looks neat! Question from a total noob in this area: do the switch types come down to just preference or are there some pros and cons (other than the noise)?
Actuation force. Depending on what you want to use it for or how you type you might like some switches better than others.

E.g. I like the switches that requires stronger key strokes. Prevents me from at least some mistyping errors. Some people get tired with those switches so they prefer lighter ones.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Speaking of, Keychron also something in that direction too. This one also allows you to put in different switches:
That's already too non-standard for me. I'm never going to learn a new layout of the right hand function key block (the one with del, pos1, etc.) at this point ;)

There were ergonomic mechanical keyboards on the market for many years now, but they all went a bit too far (for me personally) away from a standard layout. That's why I was so happy that Perixx (never heard of the company before that) made one that basically has the same layout that the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard introduced 2 decades ago and which I have been using both at home and at work since then, just mechanical -- and I was positively surprised at the price.

The biggest thing (for me at least as someone who's really not a mechanical keyboard enthusiast) is really the noise <-> feedback tradeoff. I use blue switches at home, but I'd never do that in the office since it would just annoy other people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ascheroth

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Cherry switches patent expired some time ago. Now the market have many cheaper and arguably better switches. (Kailh, Gateron, Jwick, Outemu to name a few). And the Taiwan/Chinese tech market have create many affordable and good mechanical keyboards over the years.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but here, for 50 euros you'd expect a hot swappable switches, 3 in 1 connection (bluetooth/2,4 Ghz/type c wired) and gateron switches at the minimum for a mechanical keyboard.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
That's already too non-standard for me. I'm never going to learn a new layout of the right hand function key block (the one with del, pos1, etc.) at this point ;)

There were ergonomic mechanical keyboards on the market for many years now, but they all went a bit too far (for me personally) away from a standard layout. That's why I was so happy that Perixx (never heard of the company before that) made one that basically has the same layout that the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard introduced 2 decades ago and which I have been using both at home and at work since then, just mechanical -- and I was positively surprised at the price.
Well, I personally always found the normal layouts, even TKL to be a bit bad ergonomically, as I wanted to minimise the space between my default position on the keyboard to the mouse. So 75% layout is perfect for me, and I think being open to experimenting with new things (within reason) is generally a good property in life. At worst you just return to what you like already, and at best you discover something that's actually better for you.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's one of those weird things where I actually think Sony bosses sitting in Japan don't care as long as it makes money. The Sony juggernaut has so many other levers that gaming is just an afterthought it seems like at times.
I feel like yes and no, they do have a lot of things and if they do have to be worried about anything right now, it might be with Columbia and the writers strike. I don't think Columbia typically makes Sony a lot of money. They do have both Across the Spider verse and Gran Turismo movie. But they might not really have anything else for next year right? Even beyond the spider verse was delayed.

cursing Nvidia's prices with the rest of us.
As far as I'm aware they already are complaining about the price of the new Nvidia cards (since PC stuff on average can cost from $50-$500 more in Japan than other parts of the world. Because of import cost.

Reactions: Alexandros

FunnyJay