Community MetaSteam | August 2023 - IT'S MECHA TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Has anyone here heard of or even tried "Robot Cache" ? I only learned about its existence just now.

Apparently it is the first PC digital game store where you can sell your games when done with them?
That alone seems interesting, I would love to be able to trim my steam library and get few eurobucks in the process.
my cousin installed because wasteland 3 was free, then a week later his pc was so slow and has problems (random blue screen really slow startup with ssd) we deleted that and everything was back to normal, so i dont have proof but i dont recommend

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So, been playing BG3 a lot recently. Mainly in Co-Op with 2 other friends. Been great so far and running over discord has kind of been like a campaign with an invisible DM.

However thinking of also starting a solo game. There is a lot you miss out on when one person is controlling the other Playable Character. You can miss a lot of the conversations that are being held. And you don't get to interact with too many of the playable characters outside of the camp.

• This!
Reactions: Kyougar and QFNS

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Yo anybody wanna split up that Baldur's & RPG bundle @ humble? I only need three from it. Like NWN CE, BG2 and Planescape.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I know the console certification process is a hellride for a lot of indie devs, based on comments from Dave Oshry.

There's a reason a lot of big indie successes, also those that sells really well on Steam, just never makes it to any console.

From what j have heard, first time indie devs will complain about how cryptic releasing on Steam is (poor documentation). And by there third gams release it won't be as bad.

Meanwhile when they try to release on consoles next they are meet with a LOOOT of red tape.

There are benefits of Steam but if it's your first time and if you don't have a publisher then it will be rather complicated.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Looks like cryptoshit to me.

I’m a fan of selling digital games in principle, but I’m also resigned to the fact that if we get it it’s gonna be a race to bottom. A game you spent £50 on is worth less than 1/100th of that in six months.

For that reason alone it’ll never happen. And anyway, unless such a thing is underpinned by legislation forcing all stores to do it, developers would stop releasing games on PC if we could resell them.

From my perspective as someone who buys new games only, sales and bundles have largely replaced trade-in or resale for me. In fact, I’m still spending less money on PC games than I was on console games. Obscene hardware prices tip it the other way in terms of total spend right now, but that’ll work itself out eventually.

And I made a choice to blow £1200 on a GPU - I didn’t need to do that and could’ve been playing great PC games for much less if I wanted to.
I tend to believe reselling digital games would result in a hellscape as publishers scramble to find ways to encourage the full price purchases. Like suddenly rather than having nice long tale sales forever we get forced scarcity limited release of keys in order to keep the resale value high.

I'd rather leave things as they are than risk opening the cam of worms. Most games get decent discounts in time of an amount I'd probably never get back even if I wanted to sell them.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Are stores like CDKeys or YuPlay giving Starfield pre-order keys or will I have to stress about it until the last minute ?
I mean it's usually this way, but given that the game apparently can be pre-loaded, maybe keys are distributed ?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I hope Larian would make game in Star Wars universe
And Lord of the Rings
Star Wars and LOTR would be amazing by Larian.

I think they could do a Cyberpunk game as well. Like a new Shadowrun or even Deus Ex. A more stealthy isometric Deus Ex reboot in the vein of this formula will be really good.

For me the dream Larian game going forward is a new Star Trek. Imagine how epic that would be with the ambition of BG3 in the Star Trek world and all the characters/worlds/races/companions/stories they could tell. They should go for the license and try to pull it off. They will probably be able to get any license they want after the success of BG3 so it will be interesting if they do decide to pull another popular ip for their next game.

I think full reselling of digital games would make all the gaming-as-a-service monetization strategies even more appealing, so yeah, not a fan.
Resellling would lead to a lot of legal issues but Valve does have the infrastructure in place to pull off a game "trading" market. They could put in place a lot of proper limitations that don't piss off publishers too much. For example you can only trade a game for similar value and price its going for on the steam store. They could also limit people to trading once a week or once a month. They could make people meet the requirements for being able to trade, regional restrictions, publishers approval, not being able to trade same games etc

I think Steam is by far the only platform on the market that has a chance to make something like that work and the right amount of trading liquidity could even lead to bigger game sales.

The time to pull off something like that is long gone tho imo Valve should have tried this 10 years ago when Steam inventory feature was more of a wild wild west and that would have been a better time to test these type of crazy things. With how big Steam has gotten it would be very difficult to do it today.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I hope BG3s success means that Larian can make whatever they want. And I hope they want more quirky Divinity games.

A game that isn't bound by the conventions of D&D and free to be weird in the way they want. Would be so cool.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I hope BG3s success means that Larian can make whatever they want. And I hope they want more quirky Divinity games.

A game that isn't bound by the conventions of D&D and free to be weird in the way they want. Would be so cool.
I have a hard time imagining a future without a new Divinity game for Larian. Seems like a given.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
If someone gets new AMD CPU or GPU and doesn't want Starfield (if it comes wit it) I would buy it XD Yes I want to live dangerously and play Bethesda game day 1 XD

• Toucan
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Star Wars and LOTR would be amazing by Larian.

I think they could do a Cyberpunk game as well. Like a new Shadowrun or even Deus Ex. A more stealthy isometric Deus Ex reboot in the vein of this formula will be really good.

For me the dream Larian game going forward is a new Star Trek. Imagine how epic that would be with the ambition of BG3 in the Star Trek world and all the characters/worlds/races/companions/stories they could tell. They should go for the license and try to pull it off. They will probably be able to get any license they want after the success of BG3 so it will be interesting if they do decide to pull another popular ip for their next game.

Resellling would lead to a lot of legal issues but Valve does have the infrastructure in place to pull off a game "trading" market. They could put in place a lot of proper limitations that don't piss off publishers too much. For example you can only trade a game for similar value and price its going for on the steam store. They could also limit people to trading once a week or once a month. They could make people meet the requirements for being able to trade, regional restrictions, publishers approval, not being able to trade same games etc

I think Steam is by far the only platform on the market that has a chance to make something like that work and the right amount of trading liquidity could even lead to bigger game sales.

The time to pull off something like that is long gone tho imo Valve should have tried this 10 years ago when Steam inventory feature was more of a wild wild west and that would have been a better time to test these type of crazy things. With how big Steam has gotten it would be very difficult to do it today.
Heck they should do isometric Fallout too :D

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Changing gears, I'm interested in seeing how Overwatch 2 will do. Outside of the novelty of Blizzard games on Steam, it doesn't feel like there is much hype around the release. Granted Overwatch has a terrible reputation in the gaming circles I follow so I might be off the mark.

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
For those wondering, the new Overwatch 2 release on Steam supports Proton without any tweaks needed.
They also added FSR 2.2 to the game, and honestly, even at 67% resolution scaling, it looks better than native res with SMAA. Just make sure you have a high enough framerate where TAA motion artifacts won't be a problem.

BattleNet was antiquated, and the launcher really didn't have a reason to exist even back in the 2010's. Now Blizzard just needs to release great games again and fix up their workspace culture, and maybe I'll buy a full priced game from them again.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
Rockstar and T2 know their fans will gobble it up. Same for the lack of a pc release. Why do it now when you can get double dippers later?

I can't wait for the straw that will break the camel's back
I genuinely don't think this straw will ever come.

It felt like the 2077 fiasco might've brought about change, but alas...

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I genuinely don't think this straw will ever come.

It felt like the 2077 fiasco might've brought about change, but alas...
Oh I think it will end up affecting the bottom line.
Only it will be interpreted in exec terms, so "clearly the fans don't want the old games, let's reassign every single dev to make GTA Online skins".

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Overwatch 2 plateaued at 40K for now

Think about Blizzard as a company and Overwatch 2 as a game what you want, but In terms of bringing a game over to Steam, this is a pretty good effort. My concerns about account progress were unfounded, too; it was all there. It also automatically added previous achievements. EA & Ubisoft should take notes. No launcher, easy account linking, and youre in.
Unfortunately I got a "couldnt connect to server" error a few times just as it found a game; dunno if this is a Linux-specific thing or not (it runs perfectly otherwise, as before) so I didnt play much. Game-wise, Overwatch 2, for me, still is a downgrade from Original Overwatch and I hate that they completely replaced that game.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Overwatch 2 plateaued at 40K for now

Think about Blizzard as a company and Overwatch 2 as a game what you want, but In terms of bringing a game over to Steam, this is a pretty good effort. My concerns about account progress were unfounded, too; it was all there. It also automatically added previous achievements. EA & Ubisoft should take notes. No launcher, easy account linking, and youre in.
Unfortunately I got a "couldnt connect to server" error a few times just as it found a game; dunno if this is a Linux-specific thing or not (it runs perfectly otherwise, as before) so I didnt play much. Game-wise, Overwatch 2, for me, still is a downgrade from Original Overwatch and I hate that they completely replaced that game.
I redeemed the Game Pass perk on my Xbox and it worked perfectly fine with my Steam account. I'm impressed at how seamless everything was.

Status
Not open for further replies.