Community MetaSteam | August 2023 - IT'S MECHA TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
People should stop being surprised that R* do stupid shit.

This is the company that thought they could get away with the GTA remasters, or getting IGN to hype a table tennis game as GTA4.

Imagine someone who doesn’t give a single fuck. Rockstar gives fewer fucks than even them.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
to be honest i'd probably have a hard time bringing myself to care about re-releases of old games or whatever too if I had a game that sold like two hundred million copies and had a new entry in that series releasing sometime in the next year or two

Reactions: sk2k

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
I'm not even going to comment on this lol
Remember this whenever some dumb (putting it lightly) armchair developer on Reddit tried to claim that porting Red Dead Redemption to PC is "hard" because of some dumb excuse about the codebase for it being "spaghetti", which they couldn't really back up with a single source, let alone them having any sort of experience with working in said codebase. They got it running on CPUs that are literal potatoes (Both the Switch CPU, and the Jaguar used on the PS4). Far weaker hardware than what the majority is using on PC nowadays. Same excuses for raytracing and the other content features in GTA V's PS5/XSX version that never got brought to PC (let alone an anti-cheat for GTA Online). The excuses never held up.

Now I wonder if they're gonna bother to add a 60FPS mode for PS5, or if that's off the table because either they wanted to just do a straight port or because Xbox might have paid them under the table for parity with the backwards compatible Xbox release (I'm betting on the former).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mor and lashman

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III will release this november 10th.
Platforms not disclosed.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
RDR, just like 2, is boring as fuck and I don’t see why it gets so many plaudits, but lol lmao Rockstar.

How to disappoint everyone.
I agree. Played RDR years after the fact, just before the second one launch, and if the story is nice, I was surprised to find so little to do in it.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Bruh I remember when the first trailer of GTA Trilogy dropped everyone was excited, they just hated it when it came out. This is way worse, everyone fucking hates it as soon as it was announced lmao. Even if the MGS3 remake and SH2 remakes end up being abominations you can still say that Konami is doing better than RockStar lol. No wonder they wanted to cancel this, and they should have canceled it. This fucking sucks.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
RDR2 is my goat, so this was like punch to the gut. No PC port?! Really Rockstar?

Not a happy camper. If RDR2 and GTAV get review Bombed to draw attention to this, I’m all for it.

Reactions: thekeats1999

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
i sympathise, I certainly don't trust Sony with digital purchases
I once had an issue with my PSN account and was told more or less that unless money was extracted from my account then everything should be attributed to a 'server glitch' lol

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: AHA-Lambda

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III will release this november 10th.
Platforms not disclosed.

Exciting stuff. Still waiting to see more details about which cosmetics will be transferring from MWII to MWIII, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting it for the campaign early access.

Reactions: Censored

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Lesson to be learned these past few years and rings more true every day, whether you are first party or third party, indie or AAA, you skip Steam at your own peril.

Some studios can afford it of course, but most can't.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
I have never played any of the baldurs gate games, but i wanted to give BG3 a try and ive played about 20 hours this weekend and holy fuck this game is amazing! I wasnt sure if this would be for me, but Larian did a really good job.
Same situation here. Looks so good, It’ll likely be the next game I buy.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm playing Disco Elysium for the first time, but I'm having a hard time to get into it. The dialogues are SO long and I feel like the absolute majority of information you get doesn't matter for your quest at all. I also don't always understand what people are trying to tell me. Am I just not "smart" enough for this game or am I missing something?

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I'm playing Disco Elysium for the first time, but I'm having a hard time to get into it. The dialogues are SO long and I feel like the absolute majority of information you get doesn't matter for your quest at all. I also don't always understand what people are trying to tell me. Am I just not "smart" enough for this game or am I missing something?
I'd say it's pretty normal, I had the same initial reaction.
Just get out of the hotel, explore, fell the world and talk to other people. The first day is to get lost and find stuff about the world and the whole sociopolitical struture in that society.
From the 2nd day onwards, but especially after the 3rd, the speed increases dramatically. After you have access to the docks, that I believe can be reached on the 3rd day, and talk to the rich lady there, things start making a lot more sense.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I'm sad about the RDR news

There's so few actual like... decent western/cowboy games

I played it forever ago now and I had blast playing it before they knew how to monetize online correctly and I just went around doing co-op missions or bounties and stuff on a donkey and some dude who was way higher lvl than me was going around on a cow and he just reminded me about Mongo from Blazing saddles so it was all hilarious

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I find that a rather ineffectual excuse.

It's their conscious, unforced choice to only sell to the (relatively small) set of PS5 owners.

I mean, that's why normal 3rd party publishers and developers generally haven't done AAA exclusives for many years now.
I'm still reminding of how the CC2 CEO talked to college students and asked them why they were not buying FFXVI and there response was that they are waiting for the PC version.

That's still pretty insane.

I know that some don't like crowbar, but this video is something else. It shows how many good games released on Xbox 360 from its launch up to Skyrim. You had at most 3 month gaps between what people would consider "classics". Development cycles were a lot shorter back then and it's crazy as to how much they were able to pump out.

I woulder do you think this is why people say that there are no *good games".

This makes me wonder what indie games (Xbox arcade?) Were coming out at the time that have largely been forgotten. Braid and limbo are not on that list as far as I'm aware.

Maybe history is just repeating itself? AAA stuff will be remembered but everything else will be forgotten. I fell like this mentally is bad (those people that only care about AAA games and complain about how there is no good releases coming out soon)

Last edited:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Devolver running company the same when they were their own thing and now when they are public company could be issue for them
Of course investors are gonna find it a bad thing that Devolver is avoiding the same mistake that Squeenix did last year, releasing too many games too close to each other in the busiest period of the year (Devolver is going from 10 to 5 games for the rest of 2023, with the other 5 moving to 2024).

Reactions: Kal1m3r0

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I find that a rather ineffectual excuse.

It's their conscious, unforced choice to only sell to the (relatively small) set of PS5 owners.

I mean, that's why normal 3rd party publishers and developers generally haven't done AAA exclusives for many years now.
That's basically also what the investors are saying and what is part of their stock drop. From the Bloomberg article:
“The Final Fantasy franchise’s profitability is weakening and improvements will take time,” Citigroup analyst Junko Yamamura said in a note to investors.
The other reason being everything being lower than expected, with mobile being the biggest "red flag".
“All sub-segments within Games were lower than expected,” Jefferies analyst Atul Goyal wrote in an investor note. He has a hold rating on the stock. “Mobile 1Q revenue (-18% YoY) is a major reason why we have not rated Square Enix as Buy, given the saturation in Japan market and increased competition from the likes of NetEase in Japan.”

Edit: Apparently there's other reports that FFXVI met expectations for Squeenix, but it didn't meet the high end of the expectations range, and their reasoning for that is the amount of PS5 users? Though, yeah, that's their fault for going exclusive.
Yeah, that seems to be the case. From the same Bloomberg article above:
Sales of the latest installment of the long-running role-playing title did not meet the high end of the company’s expectations, Square Enix President Takashi Kiryu told analysts on a post-earnings call Friday, according to three people who attended.

Slow adoption of Sony Group Corp.’s PlayStation 5 was a limiting factor, Kiryu reportedly said. Now that hardware supply constraints have dissipated, Square Enix plans to take steps to boost sales as more people use the PS5, he said. A Square Enix spokesperson declined to comment.
It's just the tweet framing I had issue with, since while nothing it said was incorrect, it left out/downplayed the mobile stuff. But I guess tweets/shortform summaries of financial stuff is just a terrible medium to begin with...

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
What is the brand name of this Chinese knockoff?
It appears to be MOC or BuildMOC.

And because of you I have ordered their Denji and Power Brick Heads equivalent.

a lot of totally cool looking not licenced stuff in there.

so as an addendum to the above MOC isn’t a brand as such but a cover all term for the people who do custom builds/assembly instructions. Stands for My Own Creation.

the idea is they still use real Lego bricks to make custom builds. I have seen some cool 40K ones but never looked further as it’s the only time 40K can be more expensive than it already is…

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Devolver running company the same when they were their own thing and now when they are public company could be issue for them

P.S. F R* and T2.
My heart bleeds for the poor shareholders.

Think of all the money they’re not making off of other people’s hard work.

Think of all the short term profit they’re not extracting from the company.

Fuck the long term viability of the company and their development partners - short-term profits with an aim for infinite growth above all else!

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

Atelier Resleriana: Forgotten Alchemy & the Liberator of Polar Night announced for PC, iOS, and Android
Partnership between Koei Tecmo/Gust and Akatsuki Games (Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle, Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe).

Reactions: Censored

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
My heart bleeds for the poor shareholders.

Think of all the money they’re not making off of other people’s hard work.

Think of all the short term profit they’re not extracting from the company.

Fuck the long term viability of the company and their development partners - short-term profits with an aim for infinite growth above all else!
I wholeheartedly agree. Having money hungry shareholders looks to be the perfect way to poison the well. That being said, and please don't think for a minute I defend those snakes, there is no such thing as free money. Those companies made their bed.
Keep in mind I'm far from an economic insider.

Status
Not open for further replies.