Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
For whatever reason I'm seriously considering getting Heist 2, assuming the price is reasonable. It'll be the first thing released this year I get and maybe also the last.

THQ Nordic just teased what I think was Darksiders IV? Also a new horror game from Tarsier (Little Nightmares I & II), the latter of which will be shown at Gamescom ONL in a few weeks (edit: updated with the teasers for both)
This is ripe for some live service bullshitery. You've heard it here first.

edit: It'll probably be a remaster of the first game and I'm ok with it.

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Tried the Visions of mana demo and... it's not really what I expected. Maybe that was naïve, but more, better Trials of Mana would seem like a logical evolution?
And it does look pretty good, with larger, more open areas, even if they're a bit empty. Music is great, voice acting took a very strange direction, with none of the English cast sounding much like what you expect from them... Kaiji Tang for the catboy is an extremely odd choice.

But beyond that... I don't know if they reused a Netease prototype for a cancelled action MMO (I'll give it a 90% chance that's what happened), but the way you move, jump and fight is nothing like Trials. At all. It was a very simple game, but it was fast, smooth, functional in simplicity for a remake of a SNES game.
Visions is slow everywhere, all the time, has insanely floaty physics (which does mean you can stay airborne forever in combat, kinda weird), and any attack not only has a long animation lock but also significant delay for the longer ones like spells. Hence why I think it's reused MMO bones, it feels like the game is waiting for a server response to validate your animation chains.

The hero with a greatsword almost feels like an old Monster Hunter game... at least each class for each character comes with different basic combos on top of the usual active and passive skills, but still, hard to find any likable weapon in the demo, which is more than a little worrying...
I'll pass on the potential technical issue and bugs, it's a demo.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
GI was a bit the odd one out in the West, with an actual printed magazine. 2024 just isn't a year where that make any economic sense anymore.
I think gaming related websites will probably survive for a while as "brands", where everything is owned and produced by pretty much one or two companies but then repackaged under a label, like RPS, Eurogamer, IGN, etc. If you check all those sites, you can see how they all use the same exact web layout and I am sure the company that owns them is consolidating the writing teams too, so it will just all be produced by one big games writing sweatshop. Longer term, I suspect they won't even have actual writers anymore, just editors who get their text from LLMs and edit things a bit to make them "spicier".
There is no money in quality games writing, people just want to see hot trailers, be told what new thing to consume. It's just a big vehicle for advertisment, and the moment they can cut out actual labour, they will go for it.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looking pretty sweet tbh, could easily replace replays of the original if the combat and progression feels good (they can't mess up the preexisting story, right?).

Certainly a lot more faithful and cool than the alpha demo, hopefully it's not faked by the trailer cuts.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Avowed delayed
It makes sense since they didn't announce an actual date all year long despite showing several blowouts for it now with long gameplay and everything.

Metaphor releasing in Oct and some rumors already pointing to The Veilguard being coming out in Oct as well. RPGs a plenty.

Probably for the best for Avowed to be early next year. There is no room for it unless they put it out next month otherwise it can get overlooked very badly in Nov/Dec with other long games and stuff like COD etc.

Xbox has been very mid this year. They just got Hellblade 2 which flopped. And Starfield expansion soon and maaaybe Indiana Jones. I feel like Indy gets pushed too because it still doesn't have a date. The new Flight Sim should be cool too but I feel like that is not something that will sell a lot. Same with ARA.

Next year could be very big tho. If they can get Avowed, Fable, South of Midnight, Clockwork Revolution and maybe State of Decay out it will be a good year.

Now that they have COD annual releases they probably don't give a shit at all about delays n whatnot. Their big moneymaker will print money so all the other stuff is nowhere near important anymore. Release when ready I guess.

Last edited:

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
As cool as these frame generation technologies are, I am worried that as soon as they become standard on console they will lose their usefulness. Right now frame generation is useful for boosting the framerate of games that run badly or inconsistently. As soon as developers use it by default to push graphics or skip optimization, it will not only lose its usefulness as an extra option but it will likely make games look worse due to the visual artifacts produced.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
As cool as these frame generation technologies are, I am worried that as soon as they become standard on console they will lose their usefulness. Right now frame generation is useful for boosting the framerate of games that run badly or inconsistently. As soon as developers use it by default to push graphics or skip optimization, it will not only lose its usefulness as an extra option but it will likely make games look worse due to the visual artifacts produced.
I'm not sure if some one already shared it on here. But there was a post a saw where temporal upscaling was the remedy during the PS4 Pro era, and after that it was all of this new frame Gen stuff, that may be a remedy but not the cure. Efficiency has long been thrown out the window.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
I was bored so I made a OT for the upcoming Girls' Frontline 2 gacha game. It has a PC client but probably will not come to steam. However, most members here visit this thread so I am posting the link here instead.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
That's already been happening on PC ports for like 2 years now at least lol Even most game specs nowadays assume you're using one of those technologies when they list what hardware you need.

This was just a day or two ago https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/upscaling-is-the-new-normal-according-to-star-wars-outlaws-system-requirements/

Although they are by far not the first ones to do it. I remember remnant 2 catching flak for this.

TheThunder

Jun 27, 2024
if Intel is cutting its employee's fruit and beverage budget then there's a fat chance they're gonna replace customers 13th/14 gen CPUs that've been affected by their recent problems unless they are forced to do it kicking and screaming (aka a lawsuit or a threat of a colossal, massive lawsuit that could ruin the company)

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
This is already kinda starting so it will 100 percent get worse as it becomes the lowest denominator on console.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Fascinating to me that market of 330M people cannot support even one physical gaming mag, while in my country of 10M we have two (Level and Score) still going, since 1994 and 1995 uninterrupted. Might not be long before they are the two longest published gaming mags in history I guess. Actually Edge has them beat by a year...for now.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I used to read Games World physical mags back in the day.
Seem to remember Dave Perry more than anyone else.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Fascinating to me that market of 330M people cannot support even one physical gaming mag, while in my country of 10M we have two (Level and Score) still going, since 1994 and 1995 uninterrupted. Might not be long before they are the two longest published gaming mags in history I guess. Actually Edge has them beat by a year...for now.
Ghostbusters said it best

• Toucan
Reactions: Paul and lashman

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
In Finland we have Pelit-magazine that has been running since 1992. It was my and many of my friends source of gaming news back in the day before internet. Amazing they are still publishing it and I still order it time to time for like 6 month period whenever I feel like it.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan

Are the discounts for the dlc for some of the games in this bundle only available through the humble store (that gives steam codes)?

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I'm pretty sure PC Gamer still has a US print magazine.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
I used to read Games World physical mags back in the day.
Seem to remember Dave Perry more than anyone else.
I received the latest Edge issue just yesterday, the yearly price of subscription has gone down this year, it doesn't bode well its future...

Reactions: Stevey

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure PC Gamer still has a US print magazine.
I think they but not sure. Since they are a UK company don't they still do print in the UK? Or am I incorrect?
There is a printed UK magazine. Not sure if it is also sold in retail or can only be ordered by demand.

Using the pcgamer.com website, it redirects me only to the UK version, but via Google, it seems there is also a US version too:

Reactions: LEANIJA and PC-tan

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
I know nearly nothing about Fate, but I have a few friends who are very into the franchise. A card battler with story is totally my thing so I may get F/SN later this year first to dive into the Fate universe.

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
There is a printed UK magazine. Not sure if it is also sold in retail or can only be ordered by demand.

Using the pcgamer.com website, it redirects me only to the UK version, but via Google, it seems there is also a US version too:
I bet the UK and US edition are pretty much identical which is probably why they can get away with having a US gaming magazine.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Quick question - I have Steam screenshots on other PC. If I transfer it to main PC, will Steam on main PC recognize it?
Please help :surrenderblob::surrenderblob::surrenderblob:

Status
Not open for further replies.