Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Guys help me understand something about the Castlevania bundles.
The Dominus and Advanced ones have the games that would fit in the exploration platformer aka metroidvania label while the Anniversary one has the more linear action platformer games, correct? Or is it not that simple?

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
The Dominus and Advanced ones have the games that would fit in the exploration platformer aka metroidvania label while the Anniversary one has the more linear action platformer games, correct? Or is it not that simple?
Correct in every way.
Advance contains 1 linear game - Dracula X (shrunk down version of Rondo of Blood, made for SNES in mind. Its decent)
Dominus contains 1 linear game - Haunted Castle Revisited (excellent remake of the mediocre arcade game, sequel to Adventure ReBirth on Wii)

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Also keep in mind Anniversary has Castlevania 2 which is kind of non linear in design but yea still in the same vein as all the other games from that era.

And also Kid Dracula which is more of an old school Mega Man than it is a Castlevania.

Reactions: kio

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Speaking of castlevania, replayed Dawn of Sorrow.

Great game all around, but the progression really falls apart by the end, since it relies heavily on crafting... and you don't have access to souls to make some weapons until the very last area. Area that you have to backtrack from in its entirety to go craft weapons or go back to make the most efficient money trick that you've then unlocked... except by this point you're in front of the last boss.
Really strange and it's too bad it sours the experience right at the end, if it had been just drops it wouldn't have been an issue.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

RIP Andrew Greenberg.

His influence (through Wizardry) is undeniable.
  • Codified DnD style fantasy RPG mechanics into computer format
  • Made challenging and addictive dungeon crawls, leading to growth of PC Gaming
  • Indirectly influenced Japan, leading to birth of JRPG genre on consoles
  • Directly influenced stuff like DRPGs and King's Field, leading to Souls games (and the entire SoulsBourne genre)
His legacy is absolutely incalculable; basically laid groundwork for games industry.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

RIP Andrew Greenberg.

His influence (through Wizardry) is undeniable.
  • Codified DnD style fantasy RPG mechanics into computer format
  • Made challenging and addictive dungeon crawls, leading to growth of PC Gaming
  • Indirectly influenced Japan, leading to birth of JRPG genre on consoles
  • Directly influenced stuff like DRPGs and King's Field, leading to Souls games (and the entire SoulsBourne genre)
His legacy is absolutely incalculable; basically laid groundwork for games industry.
A huge loss for the world of gaming. Rest in peace.

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
AMD/NVIDIA control panel has built in frame limiter. Special K and RTSS also has good frame limiter.

You can also set the monitor to 60hz if you want for those games, so it's a non issue for high refresh rate monitor really. Plus you'll get vrr with newer monitor too.
You can either use an external framelimiter (RTSS, Special K), or just set the monitor to 60 Hz in those cases. Just because it can go above 60, doesn't mean it can't be set to 60.
I've had a 144 Hz monitor for 5 years perviously, and a 4k120 one for the past 2 and never run into any unfixable issues.
a lot of the big issues with frame times these days are either shader compilation or traversal stutters, both of which happen regardless of your monitor is driving. In my experience, if a game does not suffer from either of these issues, using VRR you can usually mostly smooth out smaller frametime variations fairly well. And push comes to shove, there's always tools like RTSS, Special K and the like.

Been using a 240 Hz monitor since start of this year, usually hovering above 120 FPS in games, and it's a really noticable bump in motion clarity over 60, especially on an OLED. Going back to 60 FPS on an LCD over the summer just felt so blurry. Like I kept checked that motion blur was not activated in games, but had to accept that what I was seeing was just how that monitor works.
I had no idea! In that case I guess 60hz isn't needed. Really I just need a 1440p monitor with actually good hdr. Too easy to get hdr compatible monitors with not so actually great brightness range. I'll check out that video I was sent of recommendations

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Nah as big a bomba as it is, I doubt it sold this low
It wouldn't surprise me.

Steam is a big enough barometer to measure what is happening in the industry. 120+ MAUs and nobody really gave a shit about Concord.

I don't see why it would be any different with PS5 owners. Most of them are already playing GaaS games already like Fortnite, COD, Fifa, Madden, Genshin etc. A lot of those titles are free too.

There is no value in Concord and why would anyone buy a pay to play hero shooter. I would bet the Concord numbers are only slightly higher on PS5 than Steam. Unless they turn it around going F2P or doing something else with it I think that 25k figure is probably close to accurate for a while. The fact that those low concurrent numbers only decreased after release is telling too. Nobody is buying the game at all lol.

Reactions: Arc

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Most games tend to do a bit better on PS with some exceptions here or there.

The problem is a "bit better" in this case means doing a little more than a game that got 600 ccu. That's not the win PS fans are looking for lol.

• Doubt
Reactions: Stevey

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Most games tend to do a bit better on PS with some exceptions here or there.

The problem is a "bit better" in this case means doing a little more than a game that got 600 ccu. That's not the win PS fans are looking for lol.
Your sources please. Only games I know that did better on PS is Lords of the Fallen.

The thing is, devs and pubs very rarely gives out which platform a game sold the most on.

Like just recently, Wukong sold 10 million copies in 3 days yet we have no idea how it did on PS and PC or for that matter, Steam.

Reactions: moemoneyb1 and QFNS
Status
Not open for further replies.