Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Star wars has the worst image quality I've seen in a AAA game in some time. Normally you could handwave this away by saying it's a console version using FSR 1 or 2 at 800p or whatever but I'm playing it on PC at 1440p/high settings and using DLSS and everything is so blurry or smudgy. At one point last night when the sun was setting in game the grass all around the first planet reminded me of horizon FW's completely broken performance mode (at launch). It was endless fields of shimmering butt ugly grass waving around.
i don't have any interest in the game but i've seen some modders fight to get a clean image out of the game on twitter, hopefully it will be an easy fix soon.

https://x.com/FransBouma/status/1829130465661325660

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Halls of Torment is leaving early access on 24th September

Can't wait to get back to this. Will probably be one of those low key honorable mentions for GOTY.

Feels like the Vampire Survivors genre is kinda dying off. This year felt nowhere near as big with these type of games compared to last year. Not that long ago it felt like there was so many of these titles.

Maybe some bigger devs/pubs are still working on some clones like this so we see bigger things for this genre in the future.

I still need to pick up Deep Rock Survivor. It looks like a really good Deck game. Its on my seal list for sure later this year.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I decided to try out Spider-Man (Remastered) a few days ago. Honestly it was pretty mediocre. Web-swinging through Manhattan and the combat was generally good, but everything else? A lot of the usual AAA open-world let's put content icons all over the map thing, and just when you think there couldn't be more, they add more. The city looks nice but is entirely superficial. Terrible puzzles. The story didn't really do much for me.

This is exactly how I feel about the game too. The best part about it is the web-swinging throughout the city which can be exhilarating at times with the speed you achieve but also, that's the bare minimum bar any Spiderman game should clear. Everything other than that is extremely derivative. The combat is lifted wholesale from the Arkham games which did it better. The open world is 100% Ubisoft formula and that too an outdated version of it. Which makes sense... the game came out in 2018 and was probably in development for 3-4 years so they got their cues from the Ubisoft games of 2014 (around the AC Black Flag era). It has literal towers to reveal parts of the map which is something even Ubisoft moved on from after years of being mocked for it. The one 'innovation' that Spiderman had is that it didn't clutter your map with hundreds of icons of useless shit to do... instead they hid all the icons and they only became visible when you're close to the event but nonetheless, had just as much useless shit to do. It really is a Ubisoft Formula™ game in every aspect and it's crazy to me that people who would thumb their noses at Ubisoft's output would turn around and call this a 10/10 game. I kept hearing about how amazing the game was for years and then when I finally played it when it came to Steam it was such a let down. Not a bad game but nowhere near as good as people say it is.

Reactions: lashman and Gintaro

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
The original article makes it sound like both Tencent and Netease underestimated how much money they had to invest into these newly made japanese developers (which include some big names poached from big JP publishers), while at the same time overestimated how much money these investments would bring while keep buying more and more teams
It's basically the Embracer way. What the hell were they expecting?

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

If only there was a platform they could put it on that had the potential to give them huge player numbers and lots of revenue.
As someone who struggles in CoD style multiplayer, this game was great for me. It did a lot of things well for newbie like me.
Biggest drawback is its paper dry personality. Like tell me one thing you think of when I say "XDefiant" (other than how many the name sounds)?

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
See, so a game can do well and staff STILL lose their jobs yet the other side pearl clutch and whine when people "grave dance" on (sony) games like Concord failing.
I'd stick to DLSS Swapper. You don't want this shit meddling with MP games and getting you banned.
They care!

Today, we want to specifically touch on the PC experience for Dragon Age: The Veilguard. The Dragon Age franchise started out on PC, and we wanted to make sure PC is a great place to play our game. Many of us at BioWare are PC players ourselves, and when testing, PCs made up 40% of our platform testing effort, with over 200,000 hours of performance and compatibility testing. Getting the PC experience just right was crucial to us and we created a dedicated team to focus on PC. We can’t wait for you to experience it for yourselves!
Along with the standard resolution options, we also have full support for 21:9 Ultrawide monitors. Don’t worry; we didn’t forget the cinematics, either - just disable the option titled “Cinematic Aspect Ratio.” This will remove the enforced black bars; so you can watch the cinematics in full ultra widescreen glory. No matter what size monitor you’re rocking, you can adjust your FOV with an FOV slider in the Settings. There will be an option for uncapped framerate, as well. We’re also launching with full HDR support.
Most changes to Graphics and Display Settings are reflected in real time, and you can see the impacts of those changes through the cutout in the UI. This will help you make informed decisions as you tweak your game to look exactly how you want.
We know a lot of you play on Steam, and we wanted to meet you where you are. We’re happy to be completely Steam Native for Dragon Age: The Veilguard! We’re already Steam Deck Verified; and with Cloud Save on Steam supported, you can seamlessly switch back and forth between your PC and your Steam Deck as much as you want, with no interruption to your progress. We also have Remote Play enabled if you’d rather play on your TV! If you’d like to utilize it, there will be a completely optional linking process to your EA Account.
We support a suite of Ray Tracing features, as well as an “Ultra RT” mode for extremely high end rigs. We have several types of upscaling available: NVIDIA DLSS 3, FSR 2.2 which has been heavily modified, specifically for the game, and XeSS. We also support DLSS 3 with frame generation and NVIDIA Reflex.
To summarize the above, check out an overview of the PC specs and features we’re ready to unveil now:

Display Features
  • Full Support for 21:9 Ultra Wide Resolutions
  • Ability to Uncap Frame Rate
  • VSync, including fractional rate VSync
  • HDR Support
  • Optional Upscaling (DLSS 3, FSR 2.2, XeSS)
  • NVIDIA Reflex
  • DLSS 3 Frame Generation
  • Optional Dynamic Resolution Scaling
  • Cinematic Aspect Ratio (Disable this option for cinematic 21:9 ratio)
Graphics Settings
  • Presets Available (Low, Medium, High, Ultra)
  • Texture Settings
    • Texture Quality
    • Texture Filtering
  • Light & Shadow Settings
    • Lighting Quality
    • Contact Shadow
    • Ambient Occlusion
    • Screen Space Reflections
    • Volumetric Lighting
    • Sky Quality
  • Ray Tracing Settings*
    • Ray-Traced Reflections
    • Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion
    • Ultra Ray Tracing
  • Geometry Settings
    • Level Of Detail
    • Strand Hair
    • Terrain Quality
    • Terrain Decoration Quality
    • Visual Effects Quality
  • Camera Effects
    • Depth of Field
    • Vignette
    • Motion Blur
    • Post Processing Quality
    • Field of View
Controls
  • Class-specific Keybinds
  • Keyboard + Controller Bindings

* Ray Tracing can be “ON” or turned to “Selective”. Selective Mode enables Ray Tracing features in specific areas that can best take advantage of the feature.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Well that's the best Metaphor preview I've seen.

The original article makes it sound like both Tencent and Netease underestimated how much money they had to invest into these newly made japanese developers (which include some big names poached from big JP publishers), while at the same time overestimated how much money these investments would bring while keep buying more and more teams
It's basically the Embracer way. What the hell were they expecting?
One thing to remember is a lot of the investments made by Tencent and Netease were at the peak of the Chinese government's crackdown on video games. The CCP has eased off domestic scrutiny for now so they're more likely to focus more on the home market.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Metaphor is very stylish but so was Persona 5 so it shouldn't be so surprising. Atlus artists always overachieve and they kind of have to since the bar is constantly being raised.

The real interesting thing from that interview is Yoko Taro saying he felt like he played a next generation game. Hearing stuff like that is getting me really hyped.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
take this with a grain of salt because i've never actually played a Persona game(although it's not like I have zero interest, I do want to one of these days and have just never gotten around to it) but personally i'm kinda under the impression that Persona 5 and now Metaphor overemphasize looking stylish to the point where it impedes stuff like UI function

Reactions: PC-tan and Arc

mastemas

truman doctrine (actual norwegian guy)
Apr 15, 2021
at the verge of death, i discovered posca markers work nicely on leather bags

what first started as an attempt at personalization with a lame cheap and alcohol-based black marker quickly became a new project for me to do when i discovered the amazing water-based posca markers on my shorts timeline - and so i know what to do while i'm procrastinating on this stupid master's degree
currently in the middle of both making art for the bag (plus fixing up alright old art) as well as covering up the old black marker stuff (only on left side, stuff like the Teto and Rolling Girl)

bag includes:
  • omgkawaiiangel from the Internet Yamero music video, right side
  • king crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King, right side
  • Aigis alongside some hints from Odaiba, left side
  • internet cade meow meow, left side
  • Nishikiyama's koi tattoo, left side

left side of bag
right side of bag

current plans include:
  • a bigger Rolling Girl above the koi's tail, left side (marked with 3x4 grid of dots)
  • cyberpunk's Samurai logo, left side (marked with 6x6 dots)
  • fixing up omgkawaiiangel and aigis, make them look more tidy and nice
  • the parade from Paprika, fill out as background on right side for the kc guy
  • selling my kidney to afford even more posca markers (they have drained 30% of my wallet, this is not a joke; i have to gift my nephew some confirmation money and my sister some birthday money and i'll be absolutely empty)

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
take this with a grain of salt because i've never actually played a Persona game(although it's not like I have zero interest, I do want to one of these days and have just never gotten around to it) but personally i'm kinda under the impression that Persona 5 and now Metaphor overemphasize looking stylish to the point where it impedes stuff like UI function
I obviously can't speak about Metaphor, but from a usability standpoint, Persona 5's UI is completely fine and works just as well as any other JRPG. It just looks neat. I like that it blends its UI into the overall tone of the game and don't treat it as some foreign object and I like other games that try the same thing (i.e. Dead Space).

Reactions: Kyougar

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Got Starwars outlaws, I’m still hopeful I will like it.:)

just have one mission to finish in cyberpunk phantom liberty, after another 100 hours in the game lol. Overall thought the expansion wasn’t very good, didn’t really care for the story, the new area wasn’t really what I wanted from cyberpunk and the main missions had some cool ideas they didn’t wow me. But I still enjoyed my time again in cb.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Got Starwars outlaws, I’m still hopeful I will like it.:)

just have one mission to finish in cyberpunk phantom liberty, after another 100 hours in the game lol. Overall thought the expansion wasn’t very good, didn’t really care for the story, the new area wasn’t really what I wanted from cyberpunk and the main missions had some cool ideas they didn’t wow me. But I still enjoyed my time again in cb.
I'll probably get SW Outlaws when it comes to Steam; by then they should've patched it well enough. It seems like a game I might enjoy.
I hope you have fun with it!

Regardiing Cyberpunk: I also replayed the game + Phantom Liberty recently; while I didnt love PL as much as the main game, it was still decent, apart from some missions dragging on too long.
If you didnt know — slight spoiler for endgame, might wanna wait until you're done: There is a junction point somewhere towards the end; and the final mission will be completely different depending on your choice made there. I think this wont lock you out of any endings, however. Speaking of endings; more non-specific spoilers: whilst the new ending was interesting, its also a bit sad there seems to be no happy end for V....although some endings are left to the interpretation to a degress where I'll chalk it up as positive enough, or think "She can make it!".

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
This is such a ridiculous level of praise that I just have to make sure, are you talking about this?

If so I will put it on my wishlist eventhough I do not really like 2D pixel art platformers (which this seems to be from the screens)
Durante has praised this game on several ocassions before, yeah :)

LEANIJA i did just make a choice so now just waiting for next step. That’s what I assume is going to be the last mission in pl.
Oh, I see – what did you choose?

Reactions: Paul

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
This is such a ridiculous level of praise that I just have to make sure, are you talking about this?

If so I will put it on my wishlist eventhough I do not really like 2D pixel art platformers (which this seems to be from the screens)
Just be aware it is hard as fuck. The game doesn't tell you anything, you just get dropped into this world and you have to figure things out. There is no tutorial. If that sounds like your jam, a lot of people praise it a lot, but it's extremely polarizing.
I tried it an found it really frustrating, I could only make a couple of maps of progress, so I kinda stopped there.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021

I decided to get a key off of Yuplay since it's on sale at the moment.

Reactions: Paul and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Just be aware it is hard as fuck. The game doesn't tell you anything, you just get dropped into this world and you have to figure things out. There is no tutorial. If that sounds like your jam, a lot of people praise it a lot, but it's extremely polarizing.
I tried it an found it really frustrating, I could only make a couple of maps of progress, so I kinda stopped there.
Yeah, as I wrote in my post about this after we completed it, it's absolutely not something I would recommend to everyone, or even most people.
In fact, if I hadn't played it in coop, I am quite sure that I, too, would have given up on it long before discovering how great it is.

Basically, what impressed me so much about it is the intricate and surprising things about the design and world, both on a gameplay and storytelling level, and how you can naturally discover them by experimentation (or fail to do so), which makes it really rewarding. But if we hadn't struggled to make any progress or figure out what to do for literally dozens of hours then it wouldn't have been nearly as rewarding -- but at the same time, even as a relatively patient gamer, these days I wouldn't have done that alone. Most likely I'd have given up on it, or I would have looked something up, and I think the latter would detract from the core strength of the game.

So it's very demanding, hard to get into, and has a (purposefully?) narrow audience, to the point where I would have probably dropped it when playing alone. But none of these things prevents it from being one of the most interesting and ultimately satisfying gaming experiences of the past decade for me.

Last edited:

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

I just moved to Canada, and during my move my monitor got destroyed, so I'm looking to get a replacement monitor. Do any of y'all have recommendations for a 1440p 60hz monitor with actually good hdr? Does such a thing exist?

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
They cooked well.
I saw several improvements in that trailer, but this has even more than I saw personally. Good sleuthing.

Seems like the team at Konami actually took most of the criticisms from the initial trailer to heart and fixed them. Even seems to have gone above and beyond here. Hope the final product is as good as it looks here and is worthy of bringing back what are IMO some of the best PS1 RPGs period.

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
Does it have to be 60hz?
I'm nervous about higher hz because a lot of games don't have a frame limiter and I want to have a consistent framerate whilst pushing the graphics up real high. Some games have issues with monitors above 60hz.

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I'm nervous about higher hz because a lot of games don't have a frame limiter and I want to have a consistent framerate whilst pushing the graphics up real high. Some games have issues with monitors above 60hz.
AMD/NVIDIA control panel has built in frame limiter. Special K and RTSS also has good frame limiter.

You can also set the monitor to 60hz if you want for those games, so it's a non issue for high refresh rate monitor really. Plus you'll get vrr with newer monitor too.

Reactions: TrishaKit

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
This is not the case at all.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
You can either use an external framelimiter (RTSS, Special K), or just set the monitor to 60 Hz in those cases. Just because it can go above 60, doesn't mean it can't be set to 60.
I've had a 144 Hz monitor for 5 years perviously, and a 4k120 one for the past 2 and never run into any unfixable issues.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
a lot of the big issues with frame times these days are either shader compilation or traversal stutters, both of which happen regardless of your monitor is driving. In my experience, if a game does not suffer from either of these issues, using VRR you can usually mostly smooth out smaller frametime variations fairly well. And push comes to shove, there's always tools like RTSS, Special K and the like.

Been using a 240 Hz monitor since start of this year, usually hovering above 120 FPS in games, and it's a really noticable bump in motion clarity over 60, especially on an OLED. Going back to 60 FPS on an LCD over the summer just felt so blurry. Like I kept checked that motion blur was not activated in games, but had to accept that what I was seeing was just how that monitor works.

Reactions: Durante

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
  • Sad
Reactions: ExistentialThought
Status
Not open for further replies.