Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
sky remake website with some more screenshots and a 2 minute trailer:

Whereabouts of the Stars:blobclosecry:

Funny that the homepage only has Switch logo. The game is not even coming to Playstation lmao. Such a bizarre choice when Kai is releasing on PS only next month.

New trailer for The Hundred Line. Game is releasing on Apr 25 in Japan but international release is early 2025.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I think local game shops can be cool to go and visit but I also feel like they are a scam.

I still think it's dumb, with how stuff like Pokemon has managed to sell millions of units and get some games are magically over $100USD on the used games market. The 3DS being over 200USD in some cases is just ....wow. an OG 3DS can go for over $180 at a used game store.

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
Was this game bad or what
Bamco gaas offerings die early and this time they were particularly stupid because they had a global release planned but they decided to stagger it (JP was early)
From what I read online the game wasn't particularly impressive either.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Bamco starts Tales of remaster project to celebrate 30 years anniversary of the series.

Great news. So we should be able to expect Xillia 1 and 2 soon. I wonder what will be next afterwards.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
They had solid combat, and really good character customization.
The problem was with everything else, where they constantly revamped progression, class and weapon design, social activities (that were super barebones), the level design sucked, the encounter design mostly sucked, they had almost no content...
It's not unlike PSO2 New Genesis really, but even worse.

Worst thing is, I played what was possibly the technical alpha in like... 2018. They had something with potential, but never managing to put out anything complete has been a huge problem for Japanese GaaS and they just get taken over by Korean and Chinese games.

It's one of reasons why the fabled "lazy dev rhetoric" is false - not because they aren't lazy, but because they're incompetent.

On another note, I find the Trails in the Sky remake to look.. mostly dreadful.
Models are nice, but definitely not as expressive as 2D portraits, and when I think modern remake 20 years later I don't think this:

Not even remotely an upgrade in my eyes, quite the opposite, all the charm of the top down camera angles with sprites is gone, and you have a middling PS3 game in its place... I much prefer the old one (and Kai came with improvements too, even if we never got it you can cobble it together on PC):

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
To be honest, I hope they go all the way back to the beginning and get Phantasia on more modern systems. Hell, a ROM in a wrapper would do me.

As to wether this has been a good or bad year. I don't really care. If there isn't a new shiny AAA game out this particular month, there are all the games I didn't have time for over the last, what, decade?!? Hell, I have just started learning to play factorio.

There is no shortage of great games out there to play

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
The game was, ultimately, a giant money sink for bamco, and to counter it they tried to make it as predatory as possible while only having the bare minimum content
Despite taking years to manifest the actual playable content at launch was miserable. Player interactions were very limited. No late game content at all until the game was basically deserted. Terrible drop rates for endgame equipment. Poor class balancing. Terrible post lunch streams were the producers looked like they never touched the game (often they didn't knew what to answer to live questions, or didn't knew game mechanics. There was a stream talking about a new spear based class and the producers literally had no idea how the class worked at all)
And of course Bamco wanted to suck all the players money. Costume gacha with very limited rates and without any sort of "pity". When pity was finally added it took something like 100€ to get a random costume in the pool (not a selector so you still risked not getting what you wanted)

Reactions: NarohDethan

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
To be honest, I hope they go all the way back to the beginning and get Phantasia on more modern systems. Hell, a ROM in a wrapper would do me.

As to wether this has been a good or bad year. I don't really care. If there isn't a new shiny AAA game out this particular month, there are all the games I didn't have time for over the last, what, decade?!? Hell, I have just started learning to play factorio.

There is no shortage of great games out there to play
If it ever happens. Hopefully, based on the PSP version and not something like the GBA version.

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Last sale for The Suffering and The Suffering: Ties That Bind on GOG. Both games will be delisted September 1st.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I think local game shops can be cool to go and visit but I also feel like they are a scam.

I still think it's dumb, with how stuff like Pokemon has managed to sell millions of units and get some games are magically over $100USD on the used games market. The 3DS being over 200USD in some cases is just ....wow. an OG 3DS can go for over $180 at a used game store.
I'm sitting on a goldmine of old console hardware apparently.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
If it ever happens. Hopefully, based on the PSP version and not something like the GBA version.

Wasn't there an iOS version? Same with Lunar. Too bad those games released on that shit, iOS games need to be updated and both are out of the store, I think.

Edit: Looking into this more, it looks like Lunar was actually updated and relaunched earlier this year, and it's on iOS and Android. Also, the company that developed that also released Vay on steam, so I think it's a good guess that they are going to bring this version of Lunar Silver Star Story on Steam. as well

Last edited:

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
I'm sitting on a goldmine of old console hardware apparently.
I'm just waiting for my earhtbound cartridge to hit peak so I can use that as a deposit for my home. I wish I had more pokemon cartridges. I think I only have Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Firered.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
French JRPG gameplay, and it looks pretty good
there's an IGN preview that has among other things some details on the games character progression systems(I timestamped it to the part where they talk about that)

also some other details like the games combat having an action point system where you get 1 action point a turn and can get extra action points by parrying enemy attacks

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
French JRPG gameplay, and it looks pretty good
Looks like a lot of fun.

Hopefully Square is watching this.

Because Final Fantasy 17 with combat like this would sell like 20 million copies :sneaky:

The last time they had something along these lines was in 13 and that sold really well too :coffee-blob:

• Eyes
Reactions: Cacher

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
But tank controls or no tank controls?
I hope for the option to choose. Croc was a strange game, and it's hilarious that it was made to control like this because other games did it in entirely different genres... despite not actually being tank controls mid air, nor in Croc 2.

That was a weird time, and probably the first big push for games made by comitee? Same thing happened to Rascal, from okayish 3D platformer to unplayable mess half way during development.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
The information embargo for behind doors viewings on Menace from gamescom is ending or has ended today (Next game from Overhype Studios, people behind Battle Brothers)

There's a handful more in German but I only know English and Engrish

Super excited!!

Also if other people are interested in it the proprosed early access launch for the game was originally slated for 2024 it all depends on how the developers feel the game is progressing with the campaign loop, and is more likely to be pushed back to 2025

There's some stuff in german:
They're interviewing one of lead devs:

Someone on the BattleBrothers/Menace Discord did a bulletpoint translating "New" info so:
So some things for the non-German speakers (only the information that is new gotta keep my dyslexia happy):
-The stated mission is to convince the Factions of the Wayback System to restore contact to the Core Worlds (this makes it sound like the Cores assumption is that the System choose to lose contact)
-The strategic layer will be more complex compared to BB
-Attacks will be very lethal but cover will be also very effective
-Suppressive fire will be very important
-proc gen maps (I think most assumed that already but not sure if it has been explicitly mentioned)
-different enemies have different AI
-there will be different kind of vehicles from light/heavy tank, mechs, transport vehicles to artillery which will be point intensive
-Energy Weapons/Shields will be a thing but not at the start of the game
-Upgrades to your Cruiser are dependent on faction standing
-while there is an overarching story with a predefined start and endpoint what happens in between is highly randomised so that no two runs are the same
-EA might still be this year that will be determined in the coming months and will last for roughly one year similar to BB

Last but not least

Some random game website posted random prototype images apparently of battlebrothers that the devs dont even have anymore which got used in a headline article about the game. I had never seen them and they look great/hilarious

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
id probably bother with windows 11 but my computer is still "technically" not eligible because of TPM and I since it requires any kind of effort besides clicking more than 5 buttons I literally don't give a shit to try and change from 10 until I like build a new computer

whenever the fuck that might ever be

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Imagine being on Windows 11.

Couldn't be me.

Will probably have to be me soon though.
as long as you don't get a heart attack by having the windows menu in the middle of the task bar, it's not so bad.
Of course, I also don't use my Windows machine for anything but gaming, and don't really care about the details, so I'm probably not someone you should be asking. I have long given up on Windows for any productive work

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
as long as you don't get a heart attack by having the windows menu in the middle of the task bar, it's not so bad.
well the Start Menu can easily be put back to the left corner (where it belongs :p ). its more annoying to me that Windows 11 doesnt allow you to put the taskbar onto the top of the screen (as Ive had it for the past 25 years or so). However, since I only use Windows at work (where I cant switch; and also cant use registry hacks or thirdparty apps to move the taskbar), I'll live ;)

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Of course, I also don't use my Windows machine for anything but gaming, and don't really care about the details, so I'm probably not someone you should be asking. I have long given up on Windows for any productive work
Isn't W11 full of bloatware and adds and others stuff that have serious impact on the overall performance?
I'm still in W10 and with no intentions to upgrade but considering support will end next year I'm seriously looking at any credible linux alternatives for my next OS even though I haven't used linux in 15 years or so. Everywhere I look I see people complaining how awful W11 is, on par with stuff like vista or W8.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
The best versions of Windows are the LTSC iot versions. Void of any bloatware and supported by Microsoft. Windows 10 will still be supported for years under LTSC. Sadly, getting a license key legally as a consumer is almost impossible.

Last edited:

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Are these any good? it seems rather basic.
Gundam Breaker is ultimately a beat 'em up but with loot. You play (and replay) stages to get drops, which are all the parts you can customize your gunpla with. It can get pretty repetitive fast but it's easy for a Gundam fan to like it because of how highgly customizable it is: your attacks/weapons change with different parts, specific parts add passive abilities, bigger parts actually make your gunpla larger (and viceversa). And you can also freely recolor and resize any single part
It seems rather basic? That's because it 100% is, but it gets the job done and the stages are fast. This is probably the one series that requires being a Gundam fan the most not because you need to now the Gundam story/lore but because you need to actually get into your gunpla game and create your most stylish or badass toy possible, so that you can wreck the enemy gunplas as fast as you can to get more gunpla parts to make your gunpla even more stylish

Unrelated, but even if the dungeon exploration is isometric and not first person this is 100% Etrian Odyssey but Touhou:

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
Isn't W11 full of bloatware and adds and others stuff that have serious impact on the overall performance?
I'm still in W10 and with no intentions to upgrade but considering support will end next year I'm seriously looking at any credible linux alternatives for my next OS even though I haven't used linux in 15 years or so. Everywhere I look I see people complaining how awful W11 is, on par with stuff like vista or W8.
Hasn't been for me but I'm from the UK so that may play a part.

Things like winaero let you remove all that shit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.