Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Star wars has the worst image quality I've seen in a AAA game in some time. Normally you could handwave this away by saying it's a console version using FSR 1 or 2 at 800p or whatever but I'm playing it on PC at 1440p/high settings and using DLSS and everything is so blurry or smudgy. At one point last night when the sun was setting in game the grass all around the first planet reminded me of horizon FW's completely broken performance mode (at launch). It was endless fields of shimmering butt ugly grass waving around.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
That's the thing for me. All of the crap MS tries to install with Windows should be opt in and not opt out. They should ask me at the beginning and not after they have done all the updates. All it does is waste my time. Having to remove stuff. But I suppose that's what they want. Lots of people won't bother going through to remove the stuff.

Reactions: PC-tan

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy

Gundam continues to show growth as new games are released. i'm pretty sure it's one of the most successful Bamco launches of the year and it's honestly a pretty good examples of how you can nurture a fanbase by investing into the series (more availability, more translations, more dubs etc, all things that improved from CR to GB4). Capcom, Bamco and Sega figured this out, and I hope Koei and SE will figure it too soon

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
It's great to see Linux being recommended as a viable alternative to Windows. There are still some caveats, but it's genuinely great.

I started dual-booting Linux (for gaming) when Proton was released, and in the past year or so completely switched to it.

It's not just that Windows continued to make the OS experience worse, but that I find Linux so refreshing to use.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Gundam continues to show growth as new games are released. i'm pretty sure it's one of the most successful Bamco launches of the year and it's honestly a pretty good examples of how you can nurture a fanbase by investing into the series (more availability, more translations, more dubs etc, all things that improved from CR to GB4). Capcom, Bamco and Sega figured this out, and I hope Koei and SE will figure it too soon
Bamco had a pretty mixed year so far, a few releases that achieved great peak concurrent players numbers (including the elden ring dlc), and alot others that didn't.
  • Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree - 781k
  • Tekken 8 -49.9k
  • Gundam Breaker 4 - 26.4k so far
  • Jujutsu Kaisen - 5.2k
  • Sand Land - 1.7k
  • Slime Isekai - 541
  • Baten Kaitos I & II HD - 90
  • Spy x Anya - 69
  • Pac-Man Mega Tunnel Battle - 52

They still have a few more upcoming releases this year:
  • Taiko no Tatsujin
  • Dragon Ball Sparking Zero
  • Sword Art Online Fractured Daydream
  • Unknown 9: Awakening

I think Sparking Zero is gonna do pretty well, maybe between GB4 and Tekken 8 numbers? Maybe it'll even surpass Tekken 8?

The SAO game... the other SAO game from the same studio (Fatal Bullet) peaked at 21k, but that was over 6 years ago, and the 2 most recent games were really mediocre. Even if the 2 newer ones were from a different studio, they've hurt the reputation of the SAO games in general (which wasn't that high to begin with), I guess it all depends on how good or how mediocre the new game will be.

Taiko no Tatsujin and Unknown 9, I think these 2 will reach a few thousand concurrent players at best (if they even reach 1k?)... :x

Reactions: Durante and PC-tan

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
The SAO game... the other SAO game from the same studio (Fatal Bullet) peaked at 21k, but that was over 6 years ago, and the 2 most recent games were really mediocre. Even if the 2 newer ones were from a different studio, they've hurt the reputation of the SAO games in general (which wasn't that high to begin with), I guess it all depends on how good or how mediocre the new game will be.
I think the newest SAO game should be doing better concurrent players numbers as its also focused on multiplayer compared to the previous entries. There is a open network test for it coming up so maybe that could be used as a reference too

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I think the newest SAO game should be doing better concurrent players numbers as its also focused on multiplayer compared to the previous entries. There is a open network test for it coming up so maybe that could be used as a reference too
Yeah, plus it has a single player story mode for those that don't care about multiplayer, and for the multiplayer side it has crossplay between all platforms if I'm not mistaken.

I find the concept of an action dungeon crawler with multiple parties that start at different points, and while progressing through the dungeon having these parties meeting up and in the end tackling a final boss all together a rather interesting one, so I'm curious about how well the game will do in the end.

Reactions: Gintaro

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Konami strongly implying MGS4 will be in Master Collection Vol. 2.

If I actually get MGS4 on Steam after all these years, I'm going to lose my fucking mind.
Still one of the most ridiculous and unique games ever made. An excellent stealth game too that everyone needs to experience.

And with the rest of the games being in these collections its no more excuses. I really can't wait too see it on PC.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If we do get MGS4 lets say...next year.

And we get RDR1 some time later this year.

Also the Demon Souls remake is on its way for sure.

OG Demon Souls is probably not happening but PS3 emulation is pretty good so wtvr.

____

So after all that....what notable titles are even left from the PS360 era that hasn't hit Steam yet?

There are some Armored Core games I would love to see but that is something Bandai can knock out of the park with a big collection. So it will happen imo.

The Nathan Drake collection will happen as well. It has to.

Killzone and Resistance games can absolutely happen with some collections from Sony.

Same with the old God of War games.

Gears 2 and 3 are probably remakes waiting to be made.

I honestly see all these Sony collections happening over time because the PS6 will likely introduce longer dev times and there will be so many first party gaps in the coming years that Sony/Xbox would have no choice but to start doing these collections. There are so many PS fans today that haven't played so many of those old games it will be worth introducing them. And all this stuff will get released on Steam too.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Still one of the most ridiculous and unique games ever made. An excellent stealth game too that everyone needs to experience.

And with the rest of the games being in these collections its no more excuses. I really can't wait too see it on PC.
First game I bought with my PS3 back in 2009.
Blew my mind. For all it's faults and weird design choices, I think it's something everyone needs to experience. Obviously it had a different impact back then but it's still worth experiencing.
If we do get MGS4 lets say...next year.

And we get RDR1 some time later this year.

Also the Demon Souls remake is on its way for sure.

OG Demon Souls is probably not happening but PS3 emulation is pretty good so wtvr.

____

So after all that....what notable titles are even left from the PS360 era that hasn't hit Steam yet?

There are some Armored Core games I would love to see but that is something Bandai can knock out of the park with a big collection. So it will happen imo.

The Nathan Drake collection will happen as well. It has to.

Killzone and Resistance games can absolutely happen with some collections from Sony.

Same with the old God of War games.

Gears 2 and 3 are probably remakes waiting to be made.

I honestly see all these Sony collections happening over time because the PS6 will likely introduce longer dev times and there will be so many first party gaps in the coming years that Sony/Xbox would have no choice but to start doing these collections. There are so many PS fans today that haven't played so many of those old games it will be worth introducing them. And all this stuff will get released on Steam too.
That's a lot of wishful thinking. I wouldn't expect any PS3 games outside of games that get remakes like TLOU and Demon's Souls.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Remedy Entertainment Plc (“Remedy”) announces a strategic partnership agreement with Annapurna Pictures (“Annapurna”). Annapurna will finance 50% of the development budget for the upcoming Control 2 video game and gain the rights to expand the award-winning Control and Alan Wake franchises into film and television.
While there's always a chance it can be an 🥚, hopefully this means Control 2 has a Steam release day one.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Vanillaware is the last big one, I think.

And that one FromSoft game that shall not be named...

I'm not convinced Sony will go back to port older games, tbh. Porting the Nathan Drake Collection would've been a no-brainer and they don't seem interested in doing it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I started playing Signalis.

Those first 20 minutes were absolutely fucking amazing. Perhaps the only time I've felt that storytelling specifically in a science fiction game is at the level of a really good science fiction novel. It only has a few pixels to work with, but its cutscenes are incredibly poignant and stick with you. I also love how nonlinear it is, and how it's not afraid to refuse to explain the sequence of events.

YunoLumia

Indie & JRPG
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠

No. Make smaller games if it cost so much to make them.
Scale them back. im never paying more then $60 for a game.
Yep, already been shown people don't want to pay $70 for games. Let GTA try higher.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
You can thank me later.
Well, maybe :p.
The last time you suggested Animal Well after I praised Rainworld, and of course I listen to you so I bought and played that.
And while Animal Well is a nice little Metroidvania puzzle with a great art style and atmosphere, IMHO Rainworld is a once-in-a-decade unique achievement.

(Not that I regret buying or playing Animal Well at all; I just wouldn't put it into the same category of excellence as Rainworld)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The last time you suggested Animal Well after I praised Rainworld, and of course I listen to you so I bought and played that.
And while Animal Well is a nice little Metroidvania puzzle with a great art style and atmosphere, IMHO Rainworld is a once-in-a-decade unique achievement.

(Not that I regret buying or playing Animal Well at all; I just wouldn't put it into the same category of excellence as Rainworld)
never trust a Knurek :smart-thinking-blob:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Those were my thoughts on the game straight before seeing the first ending.

Obviously, I'm a terribly fickle person, and can't even listen to myself, but I'll gladly take the L over someone like you playing it.
I don't think a game affected me as much ever since I played Umineko a... decade ago?

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

No. Make smaller games if it cost so much to make them.
Scale them back. im never paying more then $60 for a game.
There's some pretty good evidence out there that most people have refused the $70 increase. It works for a select few of the absolute biggest games (zelda, sports shit, spiderman etc) but a lot of the lesser hyped games seem to be selling worse at 70 this gen than last gen. There's no way it will work if they raise it even more. Sure GTA can get away with that but barely anything else will especially since these companies don't know how to stop or slow down. You'll see $100 games with $140 special editions and full of mtx just like now.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019

Your fault for trusting Knurek
Look at that fucking avatar and tell me it’s not the very definition of ‘eh eh, I’m in danger’.

• This!
  • Disapproval
Reactions: lashman and Knurek

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
There's some pretty good evidence out there that most people have refused the $70 increase. It works for a select few of the absolute biggest games (zelda, sports shit, spiderman etc) but a lot of the lesser hyped games seem to be selling worse at 70 this gen than last gen. There's no way it will work if they raise it even more. Sure GTA can get away with that but barely anything else will especially since these companies don't know how to stop or slow down. You'll see $100 games with $140 special editions and full of mtx just like now.
The reason that 60 stuck around, is that it has become a psychological barrier to people. Increasing it to 70 is an increase by 16%. That's a drop in the water. Modern games don't need to simply make 16% more money, they need to sell millions more copies and quadruple their revenue. Unless your game is such a phenomenon that people will pay virtually any price, as you said, they will hit that psychological barrier and just wait for a sale. You lose way more revenue from that then you make more money from the 16% increase.

Besides, any business person worth their salt (i.e. no one who clamours for 70$ games) understand that the best way to fleece people, is not to hit them with one large bill, but to get them by thousands of small cuts. Microtransactions, subscriptions, season passes, etc. That's how you double your revenue per user.
In some sense, there's an honesty and simplicity to asking 70$, but it just fails to understand the human psyche and any good marketer has to understand people in order to rob them of their hard earned money.

Reactions: lashman

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
The reason that 60 stuck around, is that it has become a psychological barrier to people. Increasing it to 70 is an increase by 16%. That's a drop in the water. Modern games don't need to simply make 16% more money, they need to sell millions more copies and quadruple their revenue. Unless your game is such a phenomenon that people will pay virtually any price, as you said, they will hit that psychological barrier and just wait for a sale. You lose way more revenue from that then you make more money from the 16% increase.

Besides, any business person worth their salt (i.e. no one who clamours for 70$ games) understand that the best way to fleece people, is not to hit them with one large bill, but to get them by thousands of small cuts. Microtransactions, subscriptions, season passes, etc. That's how you double your revenue per user.
In some sense, there's an honesty and simplicity to asking 70$, but it just fails to understand the human psyche and any good marketer has to understand people in order to rob them of their hard earned money.
and when you bake the other stuff into your game and then also ask for 70 on top of that it just pisses people off

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

You mentioned Rainworld thrice in this post and my brain read it as Rimworld every time and I just could not understand what possible connection one would make to recommend Animal Well to a Rimworld fan.

That being said, Rimworld > Rainworld and I haven't played Rainworld ok bye now

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

If only there was a platform they could put it on that had the potential to give them huge player numbers and lots of revenue.
I was just about to post that lol. They should have done a Steam release day one and try to establish a fanbase before Black Ops 6.

One source told me that the game has been struggling to obtain 20,000 concurrent players across all its platforms, whereas another said, “They [Ubisoft] would probably be happy with that number,” suggesting that it’s now much lower.
Meanwhile...

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

If only there was a platform they could put it on that had the potential to give them huge player numbers and lots of revenue.
Which is very sad because Concord is leaps and bounds a better game and will also share the same fate lol

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I decided to try out Spider-Man (Remastered) a few days ago. Honestly it was pretty mediocre. Web-swinging through Manhattan and the combat was generally good, but everything else? A lot of the usual AAA open-world let's put content icons all over the map thing, and just when you think there couldn't be more, they add more. The city looks nice but is entirely superficial. Terrible puzzles. The story didn't really do much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.