Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Black Myth Wukong at the top global sellers and its still 10 days out. This thing will sell really well.

I wonder if it does better than Lies of P which has 38k user reviews almost a year after release. That performance is very impressive imo and I still need to play that game.

But pretty much most Souls/Sekiro like with a half decent budget should do good these days. And because these games aren't big AAA money sinks its not that big of a risk to work on them. Unfortunately there will still be occasional flops like Flintlock but it is a budget Gamepass title and it was kinda dumped in the middle of the summer. so hopefully it wasn't too bad for the devs.

I mean even other low budget stuff like Crabs Adventure has good amount of user reviews lol. So yea the Soulslike genre is here to stay indefinitely and it should be safe for the most part. I expect the future of this genre to expand more into licensed products like Jedi Survivor etc. That is probably when it starts to wear itself thin but as long as FromSoft keeps carrying the torch and doing ambitous work it should never get too stale.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It's not like there's a vampire's curse preventing Epic from releasing AW2 on Steam. The only thing stopping it is Sweeney's ego.

Black Myth Wukong at the top global sellers and its still 10 days out. This thing will sell really well.

I wonder if it does better than Lies of P which has 38k user reviews almost a year after release. That performance is very impressive imo and I still need to play that game.

But pretty much most Souls/Sekiro like with a half decent budget should do good these days. And because these games aren't big AAA money sinks its not that big of a risk to work on them. Unfortunately there will still be occasional flops like Flintlock but it is a budget Gamepass title and it was kinda dumped in the middle of the summer. so hopefully it wasn't too bad for the devs.

I mean even other low budget stuff like Crabs Adventure has good amount of user reviews lol. So yea the Soulslike genre is here to stay indefinitely and it should be safe for the most part. I expect the future of this genre to expand more into licensed products like Jedi Survivor etc. That is probably when it starts to wear itself thin but as long as FromSoft keeps carrying the torch and doing ambitous work it should never get too stale.
Wukong is going to be one of the biggest Steam releases of the year and could hit >500k CCU. There is massive hype in the Chinese community. The one wrinkle is that it is also available via WeGame which is the Tencent equivalent of Steam which could dampen Steam sales.

Dec 5, 2018

It has been a constant top seller in china. And it's the most wishlisted game on steam only above yet-to-exist-game-silksong. I think it will have a huge launch (but since it's moslty popular in asia, people just ignore it).

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I respect Epic for funding AW2. And I'm perfectly fine with them releasing games exclusively for the EGS that simply wouldn't exist without that funding. But not releasing these games on Steam simply harms everyone involved. I hope they reconsider and release these games on Steam as well. Even if it takes two years.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Black Myth Wukong is absolutely going to be big, and I would lie if I said I'm not interested in that game, but no matter how good it looks I can't shake the feeling it "looks too good to be true"
I mean there are countless cases of veteran developers delivering a turd even after promising the sun so it's always hard for me to be automatically excited about a completely unproven developer, especially at 60 bucks (+ 10 more for the deluxe). Mind you I thought the same about Lies of P (which is why I didn't preorder it), and that one did deliver (which is why I bought it as soon as the first Steam sale arrived), so maybe Wukong will just end up as good as it sounds

Reactions: thekeats1999

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I respect Epic for funding AW2. And I'm perfectly fine with them releasing games exclusively for the EGS that simply wouldn't exist without that funding. But not releasing these games on Steam simply harms everyone involved. I hope they reconsider and release these games on Steam as well. Even if it takes two years.
Epic is not a rational actor. They aren't in this to make money, they want that store to somehow become the next Steam and surpass Steam itself. So for ideological reasons, they won't allow this on Steam, for as long as they can't push it back. Remedy retains the IP, and I assume the contract allows them to make a new SKU at some point in the future, which could then release on Steam. Even if takes many years to get there.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wouldn't even pat them on the back for funding it tbh. They aren't the first or the last big gaming company to fund a video game. Their arrogance in keeping a linear singleplayer tps an exclusive to their trash client does not earn them any type of props. There is no excuse to prevent a dev from making more money by releasing it on steam where all the other remedy games already exist including the first AW game. Its been a year so what exactly are they trying to prove by keeping it exclusive? The sales for that game have long peaked and hit their ceiling. Steam is the only other way it can make good money at this point.... until ofc they do a PS6 port or something but that is many many years from now.

In today's climate these type of egotistic releases are straight up dangerous and could kill off the studio in a matter of weeks/months. But I doubt Epic would care if that happens. If they lose money they just make some new fortnite skins or raise the price of UE fees. Devs like Remedy are constantly walking a thin line.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
There’s a substantial number of Westerners that still think that China is just a bunch of villages and factories stuck in then 1970’s.
There are numerous parts in the world that people seem to think look way worse then they actually do and then there are places like Paris which people think they look nicer than they are in reality. Which is strange since there are plenty of smaller cities around the world that look way nicer than what people may be lead to believe.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
and this

We love the Half Life community. In the last couple of days we've received a ton of messages of support and curiosity about Black Mesa. It's heartening to see that the internet can still be a place where people send inquisitive messages while staying respectful - thank you. Thank you as well to those who sent the thousands of fake inquiries on our website, they made us laugh. We loved seeing the creative messages.

As many of you correctly assessed, we're actually a real company in the Boston area. We're working hard to assure and secure vaccine and other biological manufacturing production. As much as we would be honored to be part of any Valve game - we do not work in this sector at all. We are not secretly working on Half Life 3, Project White Sands (whatever that is/may be) or any other Valve title - we're just nerds working to secure the global bioeconomy.

We <3 all of you, you've made us laugh quite a bit this week at a time where we needed it.
We might put up a couple fun challenges and send the first solvers some swag. That is Black Mesa - the Boston biotech company swag.

Our love,
The Black Mesa team.

PS: Gabe, call us. You know where we are.
PPS: KingPotatoVIII please reach out, we've been trying to send you some swag for cracking the cipher a while back

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Remedy has been pissing off parts of their fanbase with exclusive deals for years. They reap what they sow.
Yeah people need to understand that Remedy is not the kind of company that cares about growing their brand or their audience. They're the people who are happy to take a salary for 3-4 years while they make a game. Once the game is out the door they don't care about it's financial performance. All they care about is finding someone else to fund their salaries for the next 3-4 years. In the last 20 years every publisher they've worked with (Microsoft - Alan Wake, Quantum Break, 505 - Control, Epic - Alan Wake 2 and a couple of other smaller concerns) have either lost money or just made a meager profit years after the game released. No publisher wins by publishing a Remedy game and they always manage to cut off some part of their audience or the other. The only winners are Remedy who get paid no matter what happens to their games.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Lollipop is the only physical 360 game I have left in my collection. In fact it's the last physical game I have from that entire generation. It's also a pointless relic because i don't have an xbox 360 to play it on. I doubt many people will have functioning 18 year old consoles so the advice to 'just buy the 360 version now that it's cheap' is quite silly. This remaster is realistically the only way to play the game now for most people. The original music will get modded in and, if the developers were cognizant of the importance of the original tunes, they should have made it easy to do so.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Heads up, there are lot of changes from the original. Keep in mind before playing the remaster.
Thanks for the warning but it's not like I have PS3 or 360 lying around. This should be easily fixed with mods. I'm not buying it on day 1 anyway, I only do that in very specific cases.

Reactions: MegaApple

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I played 4 hours of TribeNine.

It was better than what I was expecting for a free to play game. I doubt this game will be making hundreds of millions of dollars like Genshin and all those other games. But for what feels like a mix of something done somewhat on a budget but also a higher end thing than Danganronpa it's pretty nice.

There are multiple parts to the game. The baseball game is similar to the trials, bullet time, in Danganronpa. The animation work is very well done. You hit the ball and the character goes running at high speeds.

I didn't die in the game but it has a sort of dark souls thing were you leave an outline were you died so other players can see it.

The gatch part of the game are cards that give you abilities. And also it seems like you need energy to do stuff.

The very beginning part of the game MC thinks he's the hero from DQ and it's latter explained to him that he was being brainwashed.

Also the characters look like a mix up of preexisting Danganronpa characters.

Thank you for your time.

• Gib
Reactions: Vantr and Gintaro

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
One of the whole point of like... having companions in RPGs so you can have other classes you can't play or like "Well I want to be a mage or a warrior or a archer or rogue.. or... etc etc" it lets you essentially have your cake and eat it too without you know... having to play through the game 40 times unless you want to

They're making veilguard sound like it's so dumbed down its hilarious. Every time I go "Okay ill give them the benefit of the doubt" they go:

They should like really rip the bandaid off and tell people there's a finish game button after you install that removes the difficulty of having to play the game

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
I will probably grab Lollipop Chainsaw at some point. Probably around the point that there is a mod to reinsert the music.
Knowing how efficient PC players are, the mod will probably be released within a day after the launch. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

I will play it but not day 1. Next month is packed so I haven't decided on which games to get:
Ace Attorney Investigations Collection
UFO 50
Kamaitachi no Yoru x3
Zelda

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
One of the whole point of like... having companions in RPGs so you can have other classes you can't play or like "Well I want to be a mage or a warrior or a archer or rogue.. or... etc etc" it lets you essentially have your cake and eat it too without you know... having to play through the game 40 times unless you want to

They're making veilguard sound like it's so dumbed down its hilarious. Every time I go "Okay ill give them the benefit of the doubt" they go:

They should like really rip the bandaid off and tell people there's a finish game button after you install that removes the difficulty of having to play the game
Not to mention playing a single character and class for 60+ hours is excruciatingly boring as FF16 proved. There's a reason all these character action games these games want to be so bad are usually 10 hours tops.

I've seen people go "it was fine in mass effect"...that's a 20-30 hour game not 60-100. I would also disagree that it was fine there, I was griping about how shallow of a RPG those games were back on gaf in those days too while everyone was busy fellating ME2 as one of the greatest games ever. That gen was hard on me as a RPG fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.