Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
If it had an ubisoft logo it'd be 10x buggier and the combat would feel 3 gens old.

You guys keep parroting the sony thing but you don't understand the differences between the games even if they're on the more subtle side. Everything about ubi games feels shoddy when you consider they have 11 studios and 1000 people working on them. They shouldn't feel like eastern european jank rpgs when it comes to combat and seeing missing or half finished animations everywhere. The facial animations in star wars are horrendous too (something horizon 1 did get flak for back in 2017 as already being dated back then never mind now) and that's another recurring issue in ubisoft games.
Nah, you just got a hate boner against Ubi. I won't defend them because fuck them for killing the settlers, splinter cell, rayman and single player R6 but they tend to be as good technically as all the other big players, their games are just as buggy as everyone else's. And they are also as bland, insipid, creative bankrupt and devoid of any gram of innovation as everyone else's and just keep endlessly milking whatever franchises they have.
Like others said, the logo at the start 9/10 times defines how the game will be received, no matter it's own qualities or faults.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Nah, you just got a hate boner against Ubi. I won't defend them because fuck them for killing the settlers, splinter cell, rayman and single player R6 but they tend to be as good technically as all the other big players, their games are just as buggy as everyone else's. And they are also as bland, insipid, creative bankrupt and devoid of any gram of innovation as everyone else's and just keep endlessly milking whatever franchises they have.
Like others said, the logo at the start 9/10 times defines how the game will be received, no matter it's own qualities or faults.
They factually are not as good technically as everyone else. Again have you all not been seeing the discussions on star wars outlaws and how dated the facial animations are? Did you see the previews state how running into things on the speeder does next to nothing as they don't really have any physics built into them? During the widely panned 10 minute IGN video I spotted multiple instances of seemingly incomplete animations like when she dives into the saarlac pit and just sort of bounces upright. The explosion effect after she leaves the pit was ps3-level too. The enemy AI in the base she attacks was non existent (even for current game standards), they would stand around and do nothing as she shot at them. While she was still stealthing she opened fire with a loud blaster and the other guys like 5 feet away weren't alerted at all, even in a caution state.

On another game you could maybe chalk these things up to being an unfinished build but many of these issues follow ubi's open world games for many years now so if you've played them you'll know these will still be in the final build. Their games have good art design but they take massive shortcuts in so many other areas. They used to have some of the best animations in the industry in the ps3 and early ps4 days but now they take so many shortcuts they're like a gen behind the competition. They never really try to do better in any of their lacking areas. Horizon 1 got a lot of criticism at the time for being lacking in many technical areas (the facial animations, static foliage, horrible water effects) and you know what they did with the sequel? They improved all of those technical aspects.

I have to wonder how many of you actually play these games or the games you're comparing them to when you say a logo is the only thing separating them. Maybe you all do but just aren't very good at spotting differences.

GoT is a cut above those games though, especially the combat and art direction.
Yeah and I also did not like GoT btw, because it was very similar to ubi games in structure, but I can still see what it does better than their games and I can understand why it got a better reception.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I don't remember if I talked about that here, but Sony games also have unbelievable laziness seeping into all aspects of the gameplay too.

For all the talks of polish, take a look at the autotracking in God of War, it makes Dark Souls 2 look like VR.

And of course my pet peeve, the actual design of the UI and how useful it is to the player.
And that's where Sony is stuck in 1997, it's ghastly to see how backward they are. Everything is "stylized" like a modern corpo logo, so it's all black and white, with the most simple squares to indicate loot (that certainly won't bother with custom images, just use the WoW colours for rarity!), the most basic menus with not a single flourish in their entire franchises put together, the same applies to the maps:
Look at Ghost of Tsushima and tell me that's it's anything but a prototype that has ZERO info about anything. It's a flat, yet again black and white piece of garbage that doesn't even show proper elevation. It may as well use comic sans, it's about as good at UX.

But people really dislike hearing that their corpo masters masters are lazy, it's even ban worthy on that other place.

So I'll use the reality of it: their devs are incompetent garbage. Take a class with real developers and make real games.

Reactions: Lashley

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Look, the only thing I will give Horizon is Dinosaurs and Graphics (maybe story if I didn’t actually read decent SF). Everything else is as painfully bland as an assassins creed or far cry game. They are as bad as each other.

The only reason I tolerated that shit in Spider Man is the actual IP. And by tolerated I mean gave up around the 10 hour mark when I realised I was tuning radios instead of climbing towers for the maps.

I went from adoring Gravity Rush, Tokyo Jungle, Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank to ignoring Uncharted, The Last of Us, Spider-Man or whatever else they put out. They may be successful but doesn’t mean I think they are better.

Anyway, Hulk Ultimate Destruction is still the best superhero game made as far as I am concerned.

• This!
Reactions: Lashley

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I think the last time Ubisoft made a very ambitious/impressive game was the first Watch Dogs. That game caught a lot of shit for visuals downgrades or wtvr but the core of that game was incredible. All the stealth and hacking stuff was even amazing at times. The story got pretty good as the game progressed too....even to a point when it started to feel like that city was working against you in a real/creepy way. It was good world building imo.

I didn't play much of Watch Dogs 2 but I should return one day and finish it up. My brief time with it was really boring tho and the story seemed very soft compared to the first. But I feel like I should finish it and also give Legion a try one day. That game got shit reviews but it is a big open world game and its set in London too which had to of had some fun things to do in it.

Back in those days Ubisoft was on a good streak where they made big open world games that were super immersive (Watch Dogs, Black Flag). And not many others were doing these type of titles. But then games like Witcher 3, RDR2 and Elden Ring came out...and yea Ubi fell behind. So much so that Sony started making these similar big AAA open world and now they all feel lackluster. Only a small handful of these games stand out and Ubiosft don't really have any of them. I mean nothing will ever stand the test of time but the Ubi formula really does age faster than the rest. And they really do like to milk their franchise until there is nothing left of the creative team. The junk food comparison I made earlier is true lol. I do wonder if they ever go after the Souls like audience. That is the one style of game that Ubisoft hasn't tried to emulate. They did Witcher, Destiny, BOTW and Rockstar stuff. It would be hilarious if they made an Elden Ring knockoff of some sort.

As for Horizon I quit that game about half way through because it was just too boring and gameplay got repetitive. There was a couple of memorable things in it that I enjoyed. I remember early in the game I wondered off somewhere far away and like 3 raptor robot dinos saw me from a distance and started chasing/hunting me. It was challenging and immersive playing that stuff out to escape. The world is big. It did feel really cool and you can see they made a very impressive AAA game. But I just could not do any more of it because I'm not a fan of those post apocalyptic worlds full of robots or wtvr. I've never been a fan and that entire AI concept is lame + played out.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have barely watched anything from Outlaws, but Massive gets an automatic try from me, so much so that I have preordered the game already. I do hope it doesn't suck of course!
Haven't pre-ordered a game in forever, last time I think it was Elden Ring.

Don't see the point of pre-ordering anymore because I never know if I will have time for the game when it releases.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Discovered that Lossless Scaling can't be used on the built-in scanline shader of PCSX2. Lines are distorted or disappearing here and there. Use reshade instead if you wish to have both of the worlds.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
either X shit the bed or someone deleted that post.
Also reminder that maybe consider posting screenshots instead fo embedding? Old Twitter is dead and X embeds are 1) mostly useless for normal people (i.e. people without twitter accounts) 2) unstable and 3) directly supporting not-so-crypto fascist Musk.

EDIT:
Now the embed works. Was showing "Tweet unavailable" for a couple minutes before

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I played some more Deadlock and it's actually kind of awesome. In one game the team was behind and I was playing some guy who has an ultimate like Enigma's Black Hole and I caught three people in it and we wiped them out and made a comeback and won.

Then the next game my team got completely stomped so it's still a MOBA. :shrugblob:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I played some more Deadlock and it's actually kind of awesome. In one game the team was behind and I was playing some guy who has an ultimate like Enigma's Black Hole and I caught three people in it and we wiped them out and made a comeback and won.

Then the next game my team got completely stomped so it's still a MOBA. :shrugblob:
Curious if the game is controller friendly? Its a shooter so I'm guessing it isn't.

But I wonder if Valve even bothers with Deck optimization.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Curious if the game is controller friendly? Its a shooter so I'm guessing it isn't.

But I wonder if Valve even bothers with Deck optimization.
I just tried it with a controller. It works and surprisingly there are controller glyphs. The abilities are bound to the face button and you have to use RB to jump so that's kind of wonky.

I think it would be usable on a controller but I don't think it would be very fun, especially if you're playing against M/K players. If there was ever a console version then I could see it being playable, but otherwise you're probably gimping yourself at that point.

Reactions: yuraya

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
This is great but I hope Hi-Fi Rush isn't the only IP following them. It was clearly a highly-polished game that a ton of love went into but I personally couldn't really get into it. I really hope there's at least a possibility for Evil Within and Ghostwire sequels in the future...

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is great but I hope Hi-Fi Rush isn't the only IP following them. It was clearly a highly-polished game that a ton of love went into but I personally couldn't really get into it. I really hope there's at least a possibility for Evil Within and Ghostwire sequels in the future...
yeah, same here, we definitely need a new Evil Within (or just a horror game from them in general)

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Come at me with your pitchforks but... all I can think is

Mid-small sized single player studio getting absorbed by live-service conglomerate has not usually went well.
no offense either but how long are/were are the developers going to sit around with their thumbs up their ass waiting to get re-hired

The studio "closed" in may its now august, so assuming it takes a couple months for that to go get finalized
Is it going to be anything but it in name? Lol

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Random thought of the day: Valve should really do something about all the prologues/free trials cluttering the New & Trending list, they really should have a category of their own or perhaps group them with all the other F2P and demos in a new tab.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Harder than any SaGa games? :flare_think:
Not sure, but many people said they got wiped easily. This new version adds a "Normal" difficulty which is easier than the original one. I will definitely go for the original to see how hard it is.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Random thought of the day: Valve should really do something about all the prologues/free trials cluttering the New & Trending list, they really should have a category of their own or perhaps group them with all the other F2P and demos in a new tab.
It's a very recent and rather poorly thought out change to the new & trending tab. It's already hard enough to discover newly released games and now that list has 4 demos taking up slots instead. Valve should just make a separate section for demos or if they want some visibility on the front page, add a new small carousel like they did for when games you own got new updates (which was promptly abused by devs).

Status
Not open for further replies.