Community MetaSteam | December 2018 - We got 99 problems, but 76 ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I don't really miss the flash deals, and I doubt they're coming back (thankfully). All they ever did was force us to wait until the very end of the sale to buy things, to ensure they didn't show up in some ridiculous 6/8 window, or 12/24 later on, instead of being able to just day 1 checkout and enjoy my Christmas spoils without experiencing some level of buyers' remorse.
I have to admit, it was fun to check the new deals, but I spent way too much time doing it and I always missed stuff while I was sleeping.

Reactions: lashman

Sch1sm

I wanna see the receipts!
Oct 21, 2018
Toronto
I had alarm clocks set so I'd never miss a flash deal. Even in 2016 when I was in East Africa Time and the hours were a nuisance outside of NA. It's just a bit of a nuisance. It did make the whole process a little more fun to keep up with. I miss the mini games, too, ridiculous as they are.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Like other people were saying, I basically just redeem the Connect games, I never actually buy anything on GOG anymore.
I was a massive fan of goodoldgames.com because they provided me with something that no-one else provided legally.
But SUDDENLY! Competition! Steam released old games and I am too lazy to keep a wishlist on Gog. I still like gog for their past, but I rarely buy on it anymore, unless my isthereanydeal.com site tells me there is a big discount on a game.

Reactions: Ibuki and lashman

Deleted member 113

I was a massive fan of goodoldgames.com because they provided me with something that no-one else provided legally.
But SUDDENLY! Competition! Steam released old games and I am too lazy to keep a wishlist on Gog. I still like gog for their past, but I rarely buy on it anymore, unless my isthereanydeal.com site tells me there is a big discount on a game.
I'm more or less on the same boat, but they still have a few games that unfortunately won't make it to Steam (mainly some classic RPGs), so I usually pick those up when they are heavily discounted.
If you are interested, I posted about them in another thread (Deals - Deals, Sales, Bundles... Regret!). Those collections, plus the Lands of Lore series, are worth a buy, if you like the genre.

Deleted member 113

we should close ALL threads for the Winter Seal thread :p

nah, that shit is whack... normal Steam thread is good enough
I don't know, it would be cool to have a thread for the sale.
I mean, I can already picture the first 10 pages: "Steam is down!", "I can't complete my purchase!", "the prices are not yet updated!", "why does this happen every single year?", and so on. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I don't know, it would be cool to have a thread for the sale.
I mean, I can already picture the first 10 pages: "Steam is down!", "I can't complete my purchase!", "the prices are not yet updated!", "why does this happen ever single year?", and so on. :p
naaaah, not gonna happen ... we all know it's gonna die ;)

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I bought new RAM and installed it yesterday. Figured it was getting time to move on from 8 GB. Especially since I tend to keep open a ton of background stuff whenever I play something and especially browsers aren't known for being RAM-friendly.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
You know how people say regarding Epic/new storefronts "Oh well, it's just a launcher. You click a button, what's the big deal?"

On a whim I wanted to see if I had Peggle in my Origin account last night (incidentally my Origin/EA account is the only gaming account I've ever had stolen, and it was taken by some Russian dude to play Battlefield Heroes, lmfao). So I boot up Origin, and I realize that on my two and a half year old laptop, I've never logged into Origin. Now granted, there's not that much stuff in my account I want to play, but still. Almost three years without opening the client once to even log in!

I get that it's not a "hassle" to open a launcher, but the reality is that I just don't. Most of my library is centralized in my Steam account, because that's convenient and that's just what I open all the time. So I always remember what's in that account. It's the same reason why I my console gaming is primarily on my PS4 instead of my Switch. I turn the console on all the time to play games and watch movies/TV, so it's a central device in my life. My Steam account is the same way. Aside from missing features which suck, sure it's no big deal to "open the client," but more than anything I just forget to do it! Why would I want to have games fragmented across more launchers that I'll forget I own?

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
This place is cozy. But I don't want to just hide here. I want to fight back against fake news and platform warring on Era.

The thing is, most PC-Era people have given up and even get aggro when one just posts a link to the newest Steam-misinformation-thread into the PC-OT. They don't want to see or hear.
I can understand why, dealing with so many people who are at best woefully misinformed and at worst outright trolling is very taxing on the nerves. I deal with it because it is important to challenge their views and disprove their arguments with facts. PC gaming doesn't have any company willing to pay significant amounts of money for its marketing and promotion. Its users are the only ones able to spread the word and stop any misinformation from taking hold. I'm almost 40 years old, an attorney at law, I have better things to do with my time than argue with console warriors on Era, but I do it because gaming on PC has been a hobby of mine for decades and I love it.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Why would I want to have games fragmented across more launchers that I'll forget I own?
convenience always wins in the end ... who'd a thunk

PC gaming doesn't have any company willing to pay significant amounts of money for its marketing and promotion.
but Epic ....

speaking of which - can't wait for E3's PC gaming show next year

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Played another big battle on Ultimate General Civil War, Man that was MASSIVE!

"No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy "

No shit! The battle wasn't even remotely like the initial campaign briefing. Instead of attacking with 3 main forces, my headquarter was surprise-attacked while having Breakfast! I had to scramble and pray to survive the first 2 hours.
My North and South flank didn't fare better, my forces were stretched on the whole north to south front.
the map got bigger 5 times!
Just as I had a cozily defended forest and a stable front in the south, the whole Map opened up (it was 3 separate Maps (north, main, south)) and I had the orders to retreat to the north and make a last stand.
My Main and south forces had to scramble a hasty retreat while those damn rebels attacked from left and right.
My arty nearly didn't make it.
Once I had my forces behind the barricades and in an orderly defensible position, the Battle was over
WRONG! The second day got crazier with the rebel main force attacking my position.

Defense positions make or break your forces. The second day was harder but I "only" lost 20% of my remaining forces, while losing 40% on the first day, mostly because of losses while on the run.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Yeah, Epic. I don't like Epic. I vividly remember their stance on PC gaming just a few years ago. I'd rather spend my money on companies with a long-term commitment to the platform.
I brought it up in one of the Epic Threads, if the argument is, that the Epic store doesn't need to be as feature rich as Steam because Steam has 15 years on Epic, than the Epic Store also doesn't need our immediate TRUST. I avoided Steam for 7 years before I trusted it with my library. Let's see where Epic is in 7 years. *shrug*

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
yeah, that's true .... they fucked off to consoles at the first sight of trouble
Which is fine as a business move, I don't care. But it does mean that I can't count on them to stick around for years and for me, trust is the number one factor when deciding on supporting any platform. And they were kinda assholes about it.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Which is fine as a business move, I don't care. But it does mean that I can't count on them to stick around for years and for me, trust is the number one factor when deciding on supporting any platform. And they were kinda assholes about it.
yeah, pretty much .... especially in a situation where you're giving someone A LOT of money (in the long run) for ... well, essentially nothing

Reactions: Alexandros

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Started Book of Demons. It's okay so far. Not a fan of playing a little bit to unlock other classes but okay. Like the look and the idea. Mapping the attack button to a paddle on the Steam Controller doesn't work for me sadly.

Don't know what to buy in the sale. Have quite a few titles on my wishlist but I haven't even finished every game I bought in the last winter sale let alone summer sale. Would be most interested in Shibuya Scramble but that'll probably be a tad too expensive for me. Maybe Wayward Souls, a few small things and Yakuza 0 as a gift.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Started Book of Demons. It's okay so far. Not a fan of playing a little bit to unlock other classes but okay. Like the look and the idea. Mapping the attack button to a paddle on the Steam Controller doesn't work for me sadly.
thankfully you only need to reach level 5 (iirc) to get the other 2 classes ... so it's not TOO bad ... that's like 20-30 minutes of playing

Reactions: BlueOdin

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I avoided Steam for 7 years before I trusted it with my library. Let's see where Epic is in 7 years. *shrug*
Yeah, I vehemently refused to use Steam for a long time and only started using it in 2012. And then I found out it's actually pretty cool and have a library of close to 800 games now, lol.

------
As far as the sale goes... nothing planned. I'll play it by ear as always. Nowadays it's probably a good idea to focus on games that are sold only on Steam, since the next big sale will be a while (I guess?) and everything else probably goes on sale on all the other sites throughout the year.

I do kind of need a new JRPG though. I'm nearly done with Dragon Quest 11 and after that the only unfinished ones I have are Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force and .hack//GU, but both of them aren't something I'm in the mood for at the moment.

I still really want Romancing SaGa 2. But I guess it will just be 25% again and it was cheaper on GMG already. And I don't like getting a game when it's been cheaper in the past :/

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I am doing my part to help this thread reach 1,000+ posts!
Bumblebee movie was neat, y'all should watch it esp. as it's a major departure in primary tone from the previous Bay movies. The scenes between Charlie and Bee are just so joyful and the 80s setting really stands out.
There's good action too, esp. since you can actually SEE what's going on this time, and there are some neat TF fanservice.

IGN gonna IGN
Real talk there literally are books printed that are about Fortnite and how to play it to get good at it or something.
Like ACTUAL guidebooks printed.
I don't forknife so I couldn't care less, but hey it's nice to see vg guide books in your local supermarket from time to time!

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
thankfully you only need to reach level 5 (iirc) to get the other 2 classes ... so it's not TOO bad ... that's like 20-30 minutes of playing
Yeah, still kinda annoying. Also now that I found out that I don't enjoy the ranger as much as I hoped I would. Will probably return to Warrior. Class variety is pretty basic so far. I know small budget and all and I can probably do more with cards later on but so far the two I played so far feel pretty similar.

Will probably put it on hold for now since they also said that they add more stuff later.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Pfft, 1000 posts is easy.
I noticed there hasn't been much anime in here, so it's time to change that.... not.
Have some mango news instead :p
VIZ changed their subscription model for their Shonen Jump offerings this week. The latest 3 chapters of their ongoing offerings (One Piece, My Hero Academia, World Trigger, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba,...) will be free and for a mere 2$ a month you get access to their entire back catalogue of series. That is a pretty damn good deal. VIZ: Shonen Jump, the World's Most Popular Manga

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I brought it up in one of the Epic Threads, if the argument is, that the Epic store doesn't need to be as feature rich as Steam because Steam has 15 years on Epic, than the Epic Store also doesn't need our immediate TRUST. I avoided Steam for 7 years before I trusted it with my library. Let's see where Epic is in 7 years. *shrug*
People in Epic Store threads around the internet: "GIVE THEM TIME, THEY'RE FIGHTING BACK AGAINST STEAM'S EVIL MONOPOLY."

Also in threads about Epic's Dance Emotes: "EPIC IS EVIL, STEALING FROM CREATORS AND ERASING NON-WHITE CULTURE. TYPICAL CORPORATE AMERICAN BUSINESS AMIRITE?"

Granted, I'm kind of shitposting here, and I can't prove that the people saying these two things are the same.
Well, I could if I went and checked the post history of everyone on Twitter/Reddit/Era/etc, but who the hell has time for that?

I just think it's kind of funny that we have all these people rallying to defend Epic's virgin honor in the storefront space, but also have people tearing them down for their cosmetic practices in the very game that's given the visibility and platform to do this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
"I am nice man, with happy feelings!
First a joke-"

Have a new (png) emoticon y'all

Pfft, 1000 posts is easy.
I noticed there hasn't been much anime in here, so it's time to change that.... not.
Have some mango news instead :p
VIZ changed their subscription model for their Shonen Jump offerings this week. The latest 3 chapters of their ongoing offerings (One Piece, My Hero Academia, World Trigger, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba,...) will be free and for a mere 2$ a month you get access to their entire back catalogue of series. That is a pretty damn good deal. VIZ: Shonen Jump, the World's Most Popular Manga
Region locked comics, this fucking world man...they don't even have JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on the list yet :V

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Why do people call it a Steam "Seal?" This wasn't happening during summer sale from what I can remember...

I feel old when all the memes pass right by me. Like the other day I had to google this "surgery on a grape" stuff and it's not even a new meme but a resurrected one from early 2000's? I'm so flabbergasted at the tides of the internet some times lol.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Region locked comics, this fucking world man...they don't even have JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on the list yet :V
Internet was supposed to be world wide, yet they have decided to region lock everything. Even American news sites region lock Europe.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Why do people call it a Steam "Seal?" This wasn't happening during summer sale from what I can remember...

I feel old when all the memes pass right by me. Like the other day I had to google this "surgery on a grape" stuff and it's not even a new meme but a resurrected one from early 2000's? I'm so flabbergasted at the tides of the internet some times lol.
Seal is just a mispelling of sale, we use it mainly with Winter because of...well, seals

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
This game is really goood

That reminds me I still have Chinese Paladin to play.

From what I tried it was interesting, but will need some CheatEngine speedhacking because I can't deal with the slow walking speed.
It has some kind of Final Fantasy XIII like battle system, where a lot of the micro-stuff plays out automatically and is more about macro-management. Every character has 2 'stances' that have different skills and you freely switch between them during combat as the situation demands.
Doesn't look too bad either.
But I really haven't played much yet. The only other thing that stood out is that the English for the intro animation is incredibly bad. But the rest has been much better, apparently the overall translation quality is better than Gate of Firmament, that would be need.

Now I really want to play it again, haha.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, that does indeed suck, but it's easy to circumvent with a proxy. (I have set up the "Proxy for Chrome" extension just for the site, which I used to read their free offerings in the past, haha). I think they said they're working getting some missing stuff into the "vault", that might include JoJo.

Status
Not open for further replies.