Community MetaSteam | December 2018 - We got 99 problems, but 76 ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
What the hell are people talking about with "money laundering on Steam" exactly?

Like, how would you even commit money laundering in a closed payment system, with no way to extract your "profits" anyways?

Like "competition" and "monopoly" do people just not understand the meaning of words anymore?

Deleted member 113

It popped up on the calendar page after I clicked on the calendar box with a "1" written on it.

However, it is normal if you only got 2 items. You can get up to 3, but you can get less than 3.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. (y)
I was at work (and with the Steam server going crazy) when I clicked on it, so I thought something went wrong. :giggle:

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Below has a lot of promise and i like where they were going but it's just not quite there for me yet. I'm going to give it another few goes as i keep thinking of the game but ...

Book of Demons has been getting my time these last few days and i'm loving it even on filthy casual difficulty. Podcasts go on and i go dungeon clearing. Nice. Especially so with the mad discount i got.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Bought Peggle because both were like less than $2.50, and I had enough card money to cover about half lol.

Still trying to decide what else is worth spending some actual money on.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I bought one game so far, and it wasn't even on sale. I think I'm doing this right.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm waiting until after christmas to buy whatever I'm going to buy. My gf would kill me if I ended up buying something she planned to give me lol.

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
Hmmm this sale just isn't as exciting as the older ones.
However I am changing in that I would rather buy fewer higher quality games for more anyway.
Looking forward to playing some stuff co op with my buddy. Last year we ran thru all the Gears and Halo games.

In the mean time I now have around 250 games downloaded lol
Maybe just maybe I will launch a few. Still have a crazy work deadline to hit in the next 24 hours so no playing for a bit.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I think I'm a little different. I'll pick one or two high quality titles as well, but poor sales means I go dumpster diving for sub $2 games as well.

It's pretty fun digging through the bottom of the pile to see what you can get for $0.50 or a $1.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

Lols, creepy heads. It's also 25% more expensive in Australia and Worse in the UK. Well thought out pricing for your primary market.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Though as always, I have way more good games than I could ever hope to play through.
I think we all can relate to this.

Yo this is a neat addition

Dunno if they did it before but if you go to main page, scroll down you'll see a list of bundles. Some will make games cheaper being of the 'complete your bundle' variety, while others have their price locked in for the items you are purchasing.
I remember seeing bundles during the sales before, but I'm not sure if they were featured in th main page.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Artifact's launch was such a disaster that Valve changed its stance regarding both balance & grinding.
The game is less and less capturing the "fun of playing games around the kitchen table with friends".
I don't know what the point of the closed beta was. At least, they listened to the post-release feedback.

Any player that previously purchased today's changed cards from the marketplace can now visit this link to learn how to sell the cards directly back to us for what their peak selling price was in the 24 hours prior to this announcement. This sell back process will begin tomorrow, Dec 21st.

Cards that qualify were purchased on the Community Market before the announcement on Dec 20th, 2018 (cards from packs do not qualify) and are from the list of eligible cards below. They must be sold back to Artifact before Jan 4th, 2019 4PM PST. Cards purchased from the Community Market after the announcement of the buyback are not eligible for the buyback.
  • Axe - $9.98 buyback price
  • Drow Ranger - $7.18 buyback price
  • Cheating Death - $1.58 buyback price
  • Jasper Daggers - $0.05 buyback price
  • Timbersaw - $0.05 buyback price
  • Bloodseeker - $0.05 buyback price
  • Outworld Devourer - $0.05 buyback price
  • Lion - $0.05 buyback price
Artifact Card Buyback - Valve Games - Knowledge Base - Steam Support

Balance:
A common pattern in physical card games is to design around the goal of never changing cards, and to only make card changes or bans in extremely rare cases. Our initial approach to the game was to follow this type of methodology and keep balancing changes as a last resort, in large part because we thought players valued immutability very highly.

Since the release of Artifact, there have been a lot of discussions surrounding this topic. Input came in many forms, some from online discussions, some from direct feedback with players, and some through discussions among our own team members. This caused us to take a step back and spend a bunch of time debating the merits of the different arguments presented.

In the end, we struggled to see the benefits of immutability outweighing the numerous downsides. The average player mainly wants the game quality to be high above all other considerations. Players who focus a lot on deck building would prefer a more diverse and engaging meta to play around. While some card collectors enjoy having a small number of really valuable cards, many others are happier in a world where the full set value isn’t overly dominated by one or two cards.

Further consideration also made us realize it was the wrong approach from the development side. An extremely high bar for making iterations will indirectly cause future set development to be worse off. Long term set creativity will suffer if we are reluctant to try new ideas because of fears around not being able to make adjustments.

Our conclusion was that embracing ongoing card balance for a digital game has a lot more upsides for the game as a whole. Once we shifted over to this new mindset, it became obvious to us that it was a more natural fit with how we tend to develop games. Starting with today's update, we will be taking an incremental approach to balancing, with the primary goal being to improve the gameplay quality over time. New set expansions will undoubtedly cause bigger meta shifts, but we'll use incremental balancing between sets as a way to make sure that gameplay quality is as good as it can be.
Grinding for cosmetics/packs/tickets via "account levels":
Added account levels and unlocks. Every matchmaking game grants experience that contributes to account level. Increasing account level unlocks portraits and a number of event tickets and card packs.

Artifact comes with 5 Card Packs and 2 Event Tickets. Unlock 15 more Card Packs and 15 additional Event Tickets as you play. You'll also receive 2 Starter Decks each with 40 cards and 9 items.

Grinding for seasonal ratings:
Artifact :: Skill Rating, Leveling, and Balance

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Both POLYBIUS and Minotaur Arcade Volume 1 are out:

I'm very torn regarding purchasing them. I love Llamasoft's games, which are usually a day one purchase.
But, unless it was patched in the meantime, Tempest 4000 was unplayable with my Xbox 360 controller.
I couldn't control in any remotely reasonable way changing lanes. The sensitivity was ridiculously high.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Can't you just clean the wish list and start over?
nah, it's too late for me :p too many good games on there ... i wouldn't know which ones to bring back and which ones to leave behind after the purge so i would probably end up with a wishlist that has like 3k games on it anyway :p

Reactions: Matimeo
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Here's my haul so far...

Book of Demons
Deep Space Waifu: NEKOMIMI
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 & 2
Mega Man 11
Poi
Spaceport Hope
Sunset Overdrive

I was gifted The Underground Man.

I'm eyeing Stellaris.
so many great games ...

and some animu trash (shame on you!)

:p

Deleted member 113

I already bought much of the stuff I wanted to buy, and the rest of my main "targets" are either not discounted, or not discounted enough, so unless someone gifts me some Steam gift cards, I'll probably only buy a couple more small games throughout the sale, and that's it.

Here's my haul (all on Steam, except 11-11 Memories Retold, which I bought on Voidu):

Transference
11-11 Memories Retold
11-11 Memories Retold War Child Charity DLC
AMID EVIL
Garden Variety Body Horror - Rare Import
Prototype Mansion - Used No Cover
Trial of Champions (Fighting Fantasy Classics DLC)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy Classics DLC)
The Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy Classics DLC)
Island of the Lizard King (Fighting Fantasy Classics DLC)
Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy Classics DLC)
City of Thieves (Fighting Fantasy Classics DLC)
Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy Classics DLC)
Fear Effect Sedna Collector’s Upgrade (DLC)

And, from Epic's Game Store:
Yeah, no. :LOL:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I hope Epic paid extra for the Subnautica freebie. It just seems like a bad time to have your game available for free.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I hope Epic paid extra for the Subnautica freebie. It just seems like a bad time to have your game available for free.
I guess there’s not a ton of crossover, but it seems weird to potentially cut out some sales that would have gone on console since that version just came out.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I haven't bought anything yet, and I haven't seen any "omg, awesome" deal yet. Haven't looked particularly hard yet though.
But I'll probably grab Bladed Fury (which isn't even really part of the sale :LOL:)
None of the games I really want have that killer deal, that makes me put aside what I'm playing right now over shiny new stuff - I really should finish some of those, haha.

I should finally finish the last stretch of DQ11.
Umineko Answer Arcs will last me another ~30, 35 hours in my estimation.
I've started Unbox a while ago and it's fun enough to make me want to complete it, so another few hours.
Book of Demons I'm playing too..
And yesterday I got into the mood again to play Chinese Paladin 6, which is another few dozen hours game.
And I also really, really want to get back to Subnautica too, I've played far too little of that one.

So I guess at most I'd grab a few short-ish games (that are preferable sold only on Steam, since the next big Steam sale after this will take a while, right?)

Deleted member 113

Haven't bought anything either, but currently I have following games in the cart
Just a quick note: Fallen Legion is actually a compilation of two games (Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire, and Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion, one previously a PS4 title, the other a PS Vita Game). So, that's a 2 for 1 deal. ;)
What I played of the game(s) was very enjoyable.

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018

I once had to give one of those sites my phone number and even that felt like too much.
Quick update, they sent me a email requesting to just do phone verification. I put my number into their site and get an error. I replied back and waiting on another response. This is rather hilarious and will keep you guys posted.

I did end up picking up Walking Dead Final Season & Michonne off Kinguin & New Frontier off wingamestore.

On another note, I purchase a few games from GMG. God bless competition. Damage below.

DMC HD Collection
Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition
Evil Within 2
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Slay the Spire
Killer 7
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Edition
Onimusha Warlords

Going to take a while to figure out what to get on Steam. Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold Edition is calling for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.