Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Haven't picked up too much so far, got :

Pillars of eternity 2 and expansion pass
The council - now that all episodes are out
Orcs must Die 2 - was debating buying this since it launched, never had a tower defense game
Dungeons 3 - looks like a good dungeon keeper like game with good scores
Pillars of the earth - love adventure games and this was a good price

The uncertain - No clue what I bought
Painscreek killings - Same as above

Looking at maybe getting banner saga 3 as I have first 2
Maybe Ys8 but still seems a bit high for my tastes
Pathfinder seems like I should wait for more patches and pick up with a different sale
Lost in Vivo not sure about this game, looks interesting

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Orcs must Die 2 - was debating buying this since it launched, never had a tower defense game

Pathfinder seems like I should wait for more patches and pick up with a different sale
now that is a pretty good haul! :) sweet

Doomedfool

Dec 21, 2018
The only thing I was sure I was going to buy during this sale was The Evil Within 2 and then I saw the 20 dollar sale price. I know it's probably worth, but I am too cheap to pull the trigger.

Reactions: lashman

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Does anyone know if I buy the Hitman 1 GOTY stuff, does it unlock in Hitman 2 too?

Cause it's cheaper:

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Orcs Must Die 2 is like one of the best tower defense games I've ever played. It's fantastic solo and is a blast to play with a friend if you can grab a buddy to play with. I ended up doing all the like multi star? Gold star? whatever achievements for levels with my friend on that and I never got bored with it

Reactions: Prodigy and lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I'm impressed by the speed at which Amanita managed to change all the assets on the store page of Chuchel.

They must be really well organized to be able to change everything so smoothly and so fast.

Even the Steam achievements:

cosmicblizzard

Dec 2, 2018
Haven't even looked at the sale yet. Wanted to get and sell more cards before it happened to make the sale pretty much free, but shaky real life stuff (dog passing away, last minute travelling) messed all that up. Think I have like 200 games on my wish list as is, so yeah...

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Bleed 2 is short and sweet and everybody should buy it. That's all.

Haven't even looked at the sale yet. Wanted to get and sell more cards before it happened to make the sale pretty much free, but shaky real life stuff (dog passing away, last minute travelling) messed all that up. Think I have like 200 games on my wish list as is, so yeah...
My condolences :(

Deleted member 113

Sorry to hear about your dog. :cry:

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Angelo

Junior Member?
Dec 21, 2018
My condolences :(.

I'm partial to the "Play for five minutes, think: 'this is cool, I should come back to it after I finish [insert current zeitgeist game]' and then never do so" methodology.
This is pretty much me, but for an hour or two. Happens to me with Yakuza 0 and Battle Chef Brigade, i played a handful hours, then i quit because of college stuff. Now i'm trying to get back into it but it's difficult, because i have to remember the gameplay and the story.

cosmicblizzard

Dec 2, 2018
so sorry to hear that :( damn
Bleed 2 is short and sweet and everybody should buy it. That's all.

My condolences :(
Sorry to hear about your dog. :cry:
My condolences :(.

This is pretty much me, but for an hour or two. Happens to me with Yakuza 0 and Battle Chef Brigade, i played a handful hours, then i quit because of college stuff. Now i'm trying to get back into it but it's difficult, because i have to remember the gameplay and the story.
Thanks. Slowly recovering, but yeah not a fun time. Will likely still be in mourning when the new year starts. Just terrible timing all around (not that there's good timing for something like this, but yeah...). I'm sure I'll get to my Steam backlog when I get back from vacation at least.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Yeah, with longer games like Yakuza 0, I legitimately end up having to start the game at least twice. Kind of a huge waste of time, but hey. They get played some day!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks. Slowly recovering, but yeah not a fun time. Will likely still be in mourning when the new year starts. Just terrible timing all around (not that there's good timing for something like this, but yeah...). I'm sure I'll get to my Steam backlog when I get back from vacation at least.
hang in there, man!

Angelo

Junior Member?
Dec 21, 2018
Yeah, with longer games like Yakuza 0, I legitimately end up having to start the game at least twice. Kind of a huge waste of time, but hey. They get played some day!
Haha, exactly what i did. I don't want to start the game for the third time! There's this cutscene viewer (or whatever that thing is called) so you can watch the cutscenes. I have no idea why i didn't do that to save time.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I wish Steam had a 'slow' tag. I'm old and really quite bad at games that require fast reactions. I enjoy games that I can play on a cold Saturday morning with a cup of coffee.
Not to sound bad or anything, but isn't that more turn based games and visual novels?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Not to sound bad or anything, but isn't that more turn based games and visual novels?
My thought at first as well, but it is a bit too restrictive. Maybe one wants to play a 3D adventure game for instance, and that should be tagged 'slow' even though it is neither turn-based nor a visual novel.

I wish Steam had a 'slow' tag. I'm old and really quite bad at games that require fast reactions. I enjoy games that I can play on a cold Saturday morning with a cup of coffee.
If you have examples of games which require fast reactions, we could go the other way about it: find a set of tags associated with fast-paced games. I suspect "Action" is usually associated with fast-paced games.

If we look at CS:GO tags, we find these suspects:

Maybe ignore this tag:

Browsing Fast-Paced

Last edited:

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Sure, but there are various other genres that accommodate or even encourage a slower pace. For instance, the real-time engagements of games like Total War of Battlefleet Gothic are way slower than other RTS combat systems. Dark Souls is way slower than other action RPGs, that sort of thing. In general I mostly enjoy games that test my decision making instead of my reflexes.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Sure, but there are various other genres that accommodate or even encourage a slower pace. For instance, the real-time engagements of games like Total War of Battlefleet Gothic are way slower than other RTS combat systems. Dark Souls is way slower than other action RPGs, that sort of thing. In general I mostly enjoy games that test my decision making instead of my reflexes.
try Book of Demons maybe? :)

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
As some have pointed out already, you can ignore certain tags or focus on tags that are commonly slow-paced. There are quite a few, like the following:

turn-based visual novel point & click detective relaxing simulation casual strategy RTS stealth puzzle movie exploration funny walking simulator hidden object management dating sim card game choose your own adventure board game city builder text-based interactive fiction economy 4X real-time with pause

On that note, Steam should probably offer an option to prioritize certain tags!

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
So, Katamari Damacy REROLL hadn't configured Steam Cloud properly so I reached out to Bandai-Namco regarding this and they told me to contact Steam Support. I actually had no big hopes there since I'm guessing they don't want to shit up other devs configs etc, however they were able to get someone from Bandai-Namco to fix it 3 hours after they responded to my ticket, which made me think that Steam Support really is much much better than what it used to be!

And the total time with 2 responses was 33h, which is good, considering its the Holiday Sale. I'm guessing that direct contact a la Epic would've been easier, but having Steam support investigate the problem and all saves a lot of time too.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So, Katamari Damacy REROLL hadn't configured Steam Cloud properly so I reached out to Bandai-Namco regarding this and they told me to contact Steam Support. I actually had no big hopes there since I'm guessing they don't want to shit up other devs configs etc, however they were able to get someone from Bandai-Namco to fix it 3 hours after they responded to my ticket, which made me think that Steam Support really is much much better than what it used to be!

And the total time with 2 responses was 33h, which is good, considering its the Holiday Sale. I'm guessing that direct contact a la Epic would've been easier, but having Steam support investigate the problem and all saves a lot of time too.
yeah ... 33h is pretty damn good!

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

Follow my curator for more great RPG game recommendations!

It was said that there was once a magical Talisman that protected the Dwarven people handed down from King to new King. The last King could not decide which of his four sons should inherit so he split the empire in four and gave them each a quarter of the Talisman. Sadly, all four brothers disappeared taking the Talisman with them. Tasked by the town Councilor to enter the nearby ruins to help heal the village you find a small piece of the Talisman leading to a grand quest.

Runic Rampage is an isometric action RPG with obvious mobile roots. Now mobile port is not necessarily a bad thing but some of the grindy mechanics and the imprecise control system probably needed a little more work.

The game is split into 4 acts each with 2 areas and a boss fight. Each area has a separate theme and needs to be completed three times to proceed. These areas are generated procedurally and each takes somewhere between 4-7 minutes with around 50-60 enemies. While each areas type is unique, the enemies are just reskins of 4-5 basic archetypes: basic melee, fast range, slow range and an oversized enemy. There is a lot of effort put into making these areas feel different though.

The control system is pretty simple and can be played equally well with a controller or keyboard and Mouse. Combinations are performed with only two keys and I can’t help but think a third key would have been useful to bind dodge to. All too frequently I was trying to dodge when the game performed a “heavy” combination instead. This got especially frustrating in the cave area where rocks constantly fell from the ceiling and dodging mid fight usually resulted in an attack of some kind. There is also a magic system in the form of pickups, burning, poisoning and the very useful freeze, these can also be upgraded into more powerful abilities.

Now the grind, each boss requires a certain number of talisman shards to open up. For the first two acts I had enough but in the third and fourth I have to repeat levels multiple time to get enough of at the end of level loot drop to open the boss fight. At the end of every successful level, you can choose 3 of the 6 items available as loot, cash, skill points, treasure chest or a cosmetic outfit item. The shards are in chests with other items that open with golden keys that drop at random in levels, though I was never short of keys so that didn’t add to the grind. Skill points can be spent on 4 categories: damage, defence, agility and money gathering. Cash can be spent to upgrade weapons and magical abilities and buy new weapons.

The 3D graphics are very decent with fun enemy design and heaps of glorious blood and guts. The story is also nicely told in a series of fantastic hand-drawn vignettes and the accompanying soundtrack is fantastic.

This is isn’t Torchlight, Van Helsing or Grim Dawn but it’s also clear that significant effort has been put into this game. It’s priced appropriately and a lot of fun can be had.

Thanks to the dev for providing a key for review!

Status
Not open for further replies.