Community MetaSteam | December 2018 - We got 99 problems, but 76 ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Is there a MC Discord? I'm banned on the PC Era Discord for some reason :unsure:
Not an official MC discord, but I guess the Robotrbush discord counts (which was actually kinda the "unofficial steam thread discord" before the exodus to era). I don't have an invite link but when lashman gets back, I'm sure he can get you one.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Idk if it counts but my buddy had me play FTL,
FTL is more of a it's own kind of Rogue-lites. Best way to summarize space sims is Sid Meier's Pirates in space, which can lean more towards combat based on game-to-game. So any Chris Roberts game, Wing Commander series, Starlancer and of course, Freelancer, maybe X-Wing/TIE Fighter Star Wars games, Dark Star One, X series and Starpoint Gemini series.
Post automatically merged:

Currently a fan of laser and beam weapons.
Try saving material for ship upgrades. Goal of the game is to survive as long as possible, so prioritize upgrades accordingly.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Yeah Destiny 2 is not for me, I'm really over fps and the magic is way to scarse and under long timer to be fun also too much single and pvp and not enough hordes, to warframe I go again...
Yeah, they really screwed up the whole "space magic" aspect. In D1 you got your powers up all the time, it was fun. In D2 they tried to balance everything around PvP, so the magic powers have long cooldowns that make everything boring.

Reactions: lashman

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
With all this "excitement" about the Evil Epic Games store, you could almost forget that a lot of interesting titles are released almost every day on Steam.
December used to be a "calm" month in terms of releases, but this year, it seems we will be getting new games and DLCs right up until the end of the year.

Here are a few games (and one DLC) that are launching this week:

December 11:

Kingdom Two Crowns:

Kingdom was great, it's one of those gems that fly under the radar. I am considering buying it day one but this time of the year is really tough to decide because there are so many sales :p

Deleted member 113

With all this "excitement" about the Evil Epic Games store, you could almost forget that a lot of interesting titles are released almost every day on Steam.
December used to be a "calm" month in terms of releases, but this year, it seems we will be getting new games and DLCs right up until the end of the year.

Here are a few games (and one DLC) that are launching this week:

December 11:

Kingdom Two Crowns:

---

December 13:

Double Switch - 25th Anniversary Edition:

Lucius III

Book of Demons (leaving Early Access):

Shadows: Awakening – The Necrophage’s Curse DLC:

Shadows: Awakening - Necrophage's Curse
Wow, I completely forgot to post most games I wanted to include. o_O

Here a few other games launching on Steam this week:

December 11:

Desert Child:

December 12:

HEARTBEAT:

December 13:

GRIS:

December 14:

BELOW:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I agree that all this storefronts war probably won't end well. Let me tell you about my experience with PC gaming. I live in a so-called "third-world country" and up until 2014, I pirate almost everything I've played. I'm not proud of it, but before 2013 I didn't have a real job and games were (and they still are) in the luxury category for me. It was not just about my low income, the PC market in 00s was a mess, there was no guarantee that another game won't end up being a barely functional console port, I didn't have internet so it was not easy to find a solution or at least download patch if something was wrong with the game, and on top of that all license was shipped with very intrusive DRM solutions like StarForce or SecuROM that required the disk in your DVD drive to launch the game all the time. Funnily enough, Steam was in the same category for me and I hated it because it required an internet connection to activate and play Half-Life games, and that's the reason why I avoided official versions and pirated Valve games back then. Pirated games usually offered games with no DRM or other bullshit attached, sometimes if the game officially didn't launch in my region they also had fan translations built-in which was also a huge plus. It was easier and more convenient to use pirated games rather than official products, and it was easier to download them from torrents when I finally got an internet connection in my house, because of my internet connection was extremely slow and some of those torrents were "RePacks" that compressed game files and even allow me to install different translation packs, like english audio + translated subtitles (some games offered you either fully english, or fully translated version, and in most cases those translations were really bad).

Then, in 2013, I got my first job and for the first time had some money that I could have spent on my own needs. First thing I've started to do is buying stuff that I've pirated before and enjoyed, like books, films, music albums, and of course games. I've started with physical stuff, I wasn't a big fan of digital and prefer to buy "real" stuff like collectors editions for recent games that I liked. Most of them come with activation codes for 3 platforms - Steam, GFWL and Origin. Since that was mostly the game that I've already played, I just activated them and didn't replay them, but I took a closer look at what these services could offer me in the future. GFWL was pretty much dead at this point, Origin had only EA games (but somewhat at the same time their output started to become less and less interesting for me), and Steam looked complicated as hell at first glance. But slowly, with the help of my friends, I learned how Steam works, what trading cards about, how to use communities and activity feed, found some sites about deals and learned about free games and promotions for Steam. Eventually, my first major Steam sale happened, and that's when I finally realized that of all existing alternatives, Steam offered the most convenient terms in buying and playing games for me. Yes, I had to use Steam to activate my first physical purchases, but great functionality and best sales with regional pricing was the reason I continued to use their services, not because I was forced to spend my money here. Since 2015 I completely stopped pirating games, because it became easier for me to just buy games on Steam and be able to access and download my library whenever I want from any PC I have.

TL;DR Steam won over me not because they had exclusives, but because they provided me more benefits as a consumer, and more importantly, they keep constantly improving their service. Of course, they are not perfect, I can criticize them about many things, like steam mobile app being barebones crap or outdated activity feed layout that sometimes just painful to browse if you haven't check it for a few days. But they've gained my trust, while other companies are trying to give me "buy from us or fuck off" ultimatums while providing fewer benefits and no guarantee that they will stay in business after 10 years. All those GFWL keys that I've activated are useless now, and while I don't think that Epic would just shut it down someday without honouring their customer's purchases, their attitude at how they trying to get into this market and also their previous history with PC market (I remember quite well how they constantly whined that "PC market is 99% pirates, consoles for the future" when things didn't work out for them in 00's) not giving me much hope that they will stick to it no matter what.

I'm not going to support these companies because of my PERSONAL experience with them, not because I'm Valve's shill. I don't support Windows Store because I lost my GFWL purchases back then. I don't support Bethesda launcher because it was horrible back in 2015 and they didn't show any sign of improvement since then. I don't support Discord and Epic stores because they have those shitty 3rd party exclusives and they are not giving the striking image of companies that committed to continue improving their services in the long run. I'm buying from Steam and GOG because they haven't treated their customers for granted and providing me with the most convenient terms of buying and playing my games. All those exclusivity deals don't mean that I'll back to pirating games, I simply won't buy them and spend my money on something else, most of these companies cry about shovelware on Steam, but in reality there is simply too many GREAT games lately, and missing even 10 of them won't change overall picture much. All these companies that want to do a competition to Steam should have to think about it much, MUCH earlier, now when the PC market is on the rise again they suddenly decided to come back like nothing happened and they were not the one who abandoned the very same market when things were not as good back in 00's.
That's a nice write up, thank you. For what it's worth, a lot of "pirates" follow the same path as you - the vast majority either pirate because they can't legitimately buy it, either due to availability or price, and when given the option to buy it for a fair price, do. I live in the states and I still couldn't afford most games / movies / TV during my college years, and that was going to a cheap state school and getting federal grant money. Life is expensive, yo.

Your sentiment echoes mine, even though I acknowledge the Epic store itself doesn't directly affect me much. Steam doesn't take their customers for granted. Most of these other games publishers have started to. Hopefully, that tone will change.

I really think Epic are dumb and gambling in a way they didn't need to with these exclusivity deals. None of the complaints I have against them would actually be very important if they hadn't "stolen" all these games away from the more public space. No regional pricing? Well, at least Steam and some stores selling Steam keys have that. No reviews or forums? Again, Steam (and Humble and GMG) have reviews at least, and Steam forums can still be the go-to for people. But then we'd have that option, of buying on Epic if it's a fair price for us as customers and using the existing infrastructure of the internet we can know what we're getting out of it.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Does anyone know what Below is going to be priced at? It's been in development for so long, I wouldn't be surprised at $24.99. I kinda hope it's cheaper than that. $19.99 would be cool.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Does anyone know what Below is going to be priced at? It's been in development for so long, I wouldn't be surprised at $24.99. I kinda hope it's cheaper than that. $19.99 would be cool.
don't think anyone knows ... they aren't doing pre-orders afaik and they haven't said anything either .... Amazon UK has a "pre-order" for it but it's $60 and that HAS to be a placeholder price

Usually it's to improve the game, but now they're doing it for shits and giggles.
unfortunately

Oh joy! a steam thread!. going to be picking up gris for sure this week. game looks so darn beautiful, I cannot wait.
same! :) can't wait

Reactions: Lain and Nabs

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I finished The Messenger. What a ride. I generally say I dislike retro platformers (didn't like Shovel Knight, don't like Mega Man except X ones, etc.) but this game is too good and has just enough Metroidvania in it where I played it through in less than a week I believe. I don't know that's it flawless, I guess, but I really don't have anything negative to say about it. 99% of the times I died I knew what I did wrong (and I died a lot, so I learned a lot! Right?) and carried on, even when I died 15 times trying to get through a collectible room. The humor is old school Simpsons-esque, which I love but may not be for everyone, with references to other things including some I know I missed.

I picked it up while it was on release (?) sale the other week for $14, it is well worth it if you like that kind of game.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Last edited:
Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
when did that Grandia PC announcement happened? I was not aware of this
also I was wondering why they stopped after Grandia 2 did fairly well.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
when did that Grandia PC announcement happened? I was not aware of this
also I was wondering why they stopped after Grandia 2 did fairly well.
in August

it wasn't a big announcement or anything afaik ... in fact - they announced Grandia + Grandia II coming to Switch ... and only added PC in a press release afterwards ... as usual ;)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
so guys, where is our The Last Remnant remastered?
somebody ask SE pls
we're not getting one :p they just removed it from steam so everyone buys the PS4 version .... because every single PC player has a PS4 ... it's a fact - google it

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
yeah, that's why I'm asking, I just noticed TLR can no longer be bought on steam, but we get no remaster, so clearly they are after double dippers money again. Little did they know I don't even have PS4 :sneaky:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, that's why I'm asking, I just noticed TLR can no longer be bought on steam, but we get no remaster, so clearly they are after double dippers money again. Little did they know I don't even have PS4 :sneaky:
well since it's not already out ... probably a shadow drop with zero advertising a year from now - as per usual

Reactions: suiko
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
speaking of Romero - i wonder what happened to that game they were making ... the one they kickstarted without really showing anything and then canned the kickstarter ...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It didn't say. I could see this being a PC release that's DRM free?

Honestly, I've played enough Doom in my days. I'd buy if it comes to Steam and is on sale.
well you still need the original game to play it ... so he can't really release it on steam even if he wanted to ... sadly

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
so guys, where is our The Last Remnant remastered?
somebody ask SE pls
Would it even be worth it if I already own the original steam release? obviously they need to put one of the titles back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.