Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Ashen is way way cheaper in the Norwegian Steam store compared to the Epic Store that uses euro in Norway.

Game is 40€ on EGS which iss about 404 NOK.
Steam uses NOK so the game is 279 NOK there (base price) which is 27,5€, but the launch discount makes it 22€.

Hahahahaha.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I see a Definitive Edition at 19% off at least. So not terribad, but still not very good.
well it wasn't there when i posted :p

Ashen is way way cheaper in the Norwegian Steam store compared to the Epic Store that uses euro in Norway.

Game is 40€ on EGS which iss about 404 NOK.
Steam uses NOK so the game is 279 NOK there (base price) which is 27,5€, but the launch discount makes it 22€.

Hahahahaha.
why did you post this again? :p

Deleted member 113

I should watch it someday, but yeah, I didn't say it was only rejected by misogynistic assholes.

But yeah, thinking a little bit more about it I don't really know how you make a follow up the these classic 80's movies.
They are a product of their times, you have to update parts of it. But doing so, original fans will probably be pissed. And you count on original fans to boost up your numbers, or you wouldn't make a sequel in the first place. There is no easy solution.
I was actually very open-minded about it, because when the animation series Extreme Ghostbusters was released, I skipped it (I was pissed because the original characters, as featured in The Real Ghostbusters, were gone, and I disliked the "edgy" characters and look), and when a few years later I finally watched it, I... loved it!
They managed to combine a cast of characters from very diverse backgrounds (a latino, a goth chick, an handicapped teenager, a "brainy" black character) with old favourites Egon and Janine (plus the rest of the original gang comes back for a two-part episode that is pretty awesome), and make a very interesting, and likeable team.

So yeah, I learned my lesson with Extreme Ghostbusters, and I was very open-minded about the new film, and even went to watch it on a midnight session on my birthday!
I found the film to be a complete disaster. Kate McKinnon is easily the only thing going for it. Even the cameos from the original cast were very clumsy.

Reactions: Li Kao

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
it's out ... DLC not included ... not even a fucking "complete edition" package with additional discount 😂

EGS = $53cad
Steam w/ Discount = $36cad
Base Steam = $45cad

Man I sure love being able to use a platform that actually supports my currency :coffee-blob:

Also the EGS price is raw conversion. Its probably actually $54 or $55.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I now have two C: drives in my PC, the old Samsung 840 Evo that I have been using for years and the new Intel 660p.

I now have Windows 10 on my Intel 660p and I have it up and running. I decided to put the OS on the Intel drive since it's a lot faster than my current drive and I want to get rid of "junk" that may be hidden away in my C drive (I heard fresh installs are good every now and then).

The issue is that I still have stuff on my original C drive that I would like to save and still use, but I can't while I am accessing the Intel drive. Is there anyway for me to still access that drive, or will I just have to transfer stuff over manually and then just reformat that drive if I want to keep using that drive for non OS reasons?
I... I don't understand what your issue here is. I just did exactly this a few days ago (had OS on a 850 samsung, installed fresh OS to a new nvme). As long as you are booting from the new drive (I assume it has priority on bios) the old drive with the old install should show up like any regular extra drive. You just need to open it with admin privileges and you can pull as many files from it as you want. It also shouldn't have C: as designated letter anymore, considering the new drive automatically got C: from the fresh install.

I just went in there, pulled all my files (I backed them up first to another drive + cloud just in case) and then formatted, and is now the boot drive in another PC.

Or maybe I'm not understanding you here...

Reactions: PC-tan

Deleted member 113

Ashen is currently the 11th most sold title on my Steam page, higher than stuff like Halo: Reach, Age of Empires II, GTA V, the upcoming Monster Hunter expansion, (...).

So yeah, gamers have spoken (or are speaking): it pays off to sign an exclusivity deal (and pocket the money), and then a year later sell your game for pretty much the same price, people will buy it, and you'll get the best of both worlds. :notlikethisblob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Ashen is currently the 11th most sold title on my Steam page, higher than stuff like Halo: Reach, Age of Empires II, GTA V, the upcoming Monster Hunter expansion, (...).

So yeah, gamers have spoken (or are speaking): it pays off to sign an exclusivity deal (and pocket the money), and then a year later sell your game for pretty much the same price, people will buy it, and you'll get the best of both worlds. :notlikethisblob:
But it's kinda of a shitty thing in both ways:

Dev takes EGS exclusive money, releases on Steam 1 year later, good sales numbers on Steam, devs wins.
Dev takes EGS exclusive money, releases on Steam 1 year later, shitty sales numbers, they say "see, good thing we took EGS money", devs win.

However, if an EGS exclusive sells good and perhaps even better than on EGS, it also shows that people are willing to wait for Steam release.

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
Hades price is going to be hilarious.

I believe they'll increase the price on the EGS and launch with the same price on Steam cause now it's a more complete game than it was when they increased the price the first time.
That's certainly some logic. I'll be sure to check it out when it's $8 again.

Reactions: Ibuki and lashman

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I'm at the point where I refuse to buy games until the inevitable "Complete/Definitive/Ultimate" pack, so, whatever.

Reactions: Lashley

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
But it's kinda of a shitty thing in both ways:

Dev takes EGS exclusive money, releases on Steam 1 year later, good sales numbers on Steam, devs wins.
Dev takes EGS exclusive money, releases on Steam 1 year later, shitty sales numbers, they say "see, good thing we took EGS money", devs win.

However, if an EGS exclusive sells good and perhaps even better than on EGS, it also shows that people are willing to wait for Steam release.
I guess it is a game by game basis. I’m sure nobody is dying to play that weird fighting game whose creator was pissing people off on Twitter.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Deleted member 113

Exactly. Which, means, all the more reason to sign further exclusivity deals.

Games usually don't have the luxury of "launching" twice.
These games apparently will have them.

If they made their money a year ago, and are still able to sell the game pretty much at full price a year later, and still have healthy sales, what's deterring them from signing further deals?

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their money, but it really sucks to see some developers being rewarded for shitty practices, while most indie developers (those who didn't "win" the EGS lottery) have a single launch, and are soon after forgotten, and a year later they are selling next to nothing, even on bundles or discounted prices.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Checking around on the web, seems like the EGS version of Ashen never received cloud saves either. However, as cloud saves needs to be manually activated on EGS due to the lack of backend, it doesn't excuse that activating Steam cloud saves is almost as pressing a button in Steamworks from what Ive been told before.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
how many games have we had come to steam from egs exclusive so far?

have they still be trying to sell those for full prices?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I... I don't understand what your issue here is. I just did exactly this a few days ago (had OS on a 850 samsung, installed fresh OS to a new nvme). As long as you are booting from the new drive (I assume it has priority on bios) the old drive with the old install should show up like any regular extra drive. You just need to open it with admin privileges and you can pull as many files from it as you want. It also shouldn't have C: as designated letter anymore, considering the new drive automatically got C: from the fresh install.

I just went in there, pulled all my files (I backed them up first to another drive + cloud just in case) and then formatted, and is now the boot drive in another PC.

Or maybe I'm not understanding you here...
Looks like you were right.

By the way did any one get the Humble Bundle from a month ago and that has an extra key for the first Frog Detective game? I'm willing to trade

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
We got greenlight today to include a feature that no one will expect.
It's really for a small niche of gamers though so don't get too hyped.

(Sorry for the content-less rumour-mongering, I'm just personally extremely happy about this one and want to share with the fine people here)
Trails of Cold VR ? I can dig it

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Ashen is 5th on global best seller.

Wonder if it has already overtaken EGS sales.

you may be right. maybe im just thinking of ones that are coming up on steam releases then
There are 2 best seller lists (both based on revenue, not copies sold), regional and global.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ashen is 5th on global best seller.

Wonder if it has already overtaken EGS sales.
I would hazard a guess that Ashen being one of the first exclusives, being the shiny new thing, sold a little bit.
Now Paranoia, I say it should outsell its EGS version in 3 seconds.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
it's out ... DLC not included ... not even a fucking "complete edition" package with additional discount 😂

Bigger news is, this game got DLC? Never heard before.

I sometimes buy trading cards from the Market to complete sets, and I have noticed that I often purchase them from some private profiles with similar names. They all seem to be part of a bot network, run by a Finnish (maybe you know him, madjoki?). A few of his bots have a higher Steam level than me.

It turns out the "king" has more than a thousand euros worth of gems in his inventory. Who are these guys? lmao

I don't know personally, but I have dealt with him few years back (sold some anime cards for paypal). I assume he'd craft those on alts, to avoid market restriction, to be first to sell backgrounds to weaboos.

Reactions: Wok and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Steamworks Fall Recap: Steam Library Release, Remote Play Together, DAU Reporting, Store Page Tools, And More

9 DEC @ 6:57PM - ALDEN

Since our Steamworks Summer Recap, the Steam team has been busy working on a number of improvements to Steam and Steamworks as part of our efforts to provide the most robust set of features and services to developers and customers. Highlights of the latest new features include Steam Remote Play Together and the new Steam Library. But we've also added more real-time data reporting, updates to simplify and clarify the process of preparing your Store Page for release, and more. This is all happening alongside the planning and building of two major seasonal sales: The recent Steam Autumn Sale and the upcoming Winter Sale. With so much going on, you may have missed some of these additions or how they may benefit your project, so here's a quick recap.

Launched The Steam Library Update
The biggest announcement of the past couple of months is the Steam Library Update, which rolled out of beta and updated Steam for all players on October 30. This update brings a fresh new look to the Steam library that better highlights the games in a player's library and makes it easy to find something to play. This new update also brings better channels for game developers to communicate about updates, events, and announcements to players and fans.

The new Library update also includes new artwork sizes for your game, so please submit new assets if you haven't already. You can easily check whether any of your games are missing these updated library images by visiting this new page: https://partner.steamgames.com/recommended_actions/all/ . Optionally, you can also provide new assets for any tools you ship with your game such as SDKs or Dedicated Servers. And if you have released videos via Steam, you can also upload new library assets for those as well.

Launched Steam Remote Play Together
Steam Remote Play Together entered beta on October 21 and left beta on November 20, allowing players to play split-screen or shared-screen multiplayer games with friends over the internet without any additional work by the games' developers. This feature immediately enabled online multiplayer or co-op play for thousands of games on Steam, many without built-in networking capabilities at all. Since the launch in beta, we've already seen over 3.5 million gaming sessions played via Steam Remote Play Together, across more than 2,400 different games.

If you are building a split-screen or shared-screen game, check out Remote Play Documentation for a quick guide to enabling Remote Play Together for your game along with some optional ways you can optimize your game for controller and touch-screen interfaces.

Along with this new feature, we added real-time conversions sales reporting so you can see how many players are enjoying your game via Steam Remote Play Together and then go on to purchase a copy of your game. You can find this reporting from your sales and reporting dashboard on Steamworks Product Data login.

Added Daily Active User (DAU) Reporting
This past month, we added Daily Active User counts and graphs to the Steamworks sales reporting portal. Now, alongside your concurrent player numbers and graphs, you can see daily active user counts for each day.

If you view player numbers for a time range of more than a single day, you will see daily active users graphed over that period, showing the ebb and flow of your community as a result of updates, discounts, or any other activity you may be creating or participating in that would impact your overall community of players.

(Here's an example using Left 4 Dead 2. You can see DAU spike during a cross-promotion with Dying Light and then the Halloween Sale)

Streamlined Setting Player Categories
We've heard feedback from some developers and customers who were confused by our options for specifying the multi-player support in a game. So, we took a look at this and revamped the UI for picking single-player/multiplayer categories. This new interface is designed to help developers narrow down to the specific kinds of multiplayer support in the game.

For customers, we've updated the Store Page to display the most specific category of multi-player and co-op modes the game supports.

Streamlined Setting Tags
The tags applied to your game in the Steam Store are important for three big reasons:
  1. Tags show up on your Store Page to help players understand what kind of game it is, what mechanics it has, player point-of-view, and themes it may contain. (eg. Turn-Based, Strategy, 2D, Crafting, Third-Person, Cats...)
  2. Tags also help Steam determine what other games are a match with your title. So having tags applied that accurately describe your game will help it get surfaced to customers that are playing and browsing similarly tagged games.
  3. We use tags in order to invite specific games to participate in occasional themed sales such as "Space Games Weekend" or "Board Games Weekend".
Somewhat surprisingly, we found that many game developers were not applying many, if any, tags to their game during the set-up process and, as a result, were not getting the most out of posting their Coming Soon Store Page or release. So, we've updated the interface for applying tags during store page setup to make it easier and even a required part of the release process. It is now part of the release checklist, and the tagging interface is now easier to access from your Store Page Admin.

Increased Possible Achievement Size
We also heard feedback from a number of developers that wanted to have a higher resolution version of achievements to displays in game, and we also noticed that some of our display of achievements within Steam would benefit from higher resolution artwork, especially on high dpi monitors. So achievement images uploaded to Steamworks can now be up to 256px x 256px in size.

Added Support for Localized Trading Cards
As we continue to work on making Steam even more accessible and inviting to players around the world, we know that deeper localization support is important. With that in mind, we've updated the UI for configuring and displaying Steam Trading Cards and other related community items to now support localized titles and descriptions. Steam previously had partial support for localization, but only for trading card images. This update extends support for localized names and descriptions on trading cards, backgrounds, and badges. Emoticons don't support localized names (the name is what goes in the typed :name:), but can have localized descriptions.

Added Support for localized game names
Further to the goal of deepening Steam’s localization support, if you have translated versions of your game name Steam can now support showing the name in one or more languages, similar to how your game description and store artwork can be localized. If you are still working on setting up your Store Page, you can enter these localized names yourself in the 'edit store' section of Steamworks. If your game is already available for sale, please use the contact form here and let us know the localized versions of your game name that you wish to have put in place.

Introducing: Steamworks Twitter
We're also launching a new Steamworks Twitter account for keeping in touch with updates and quick tips from time-to-time. It will cover many of the same topics as these occasional blog posts and emails, but in smaller snippets as they happen. If you are on Twitter and want to hear about the latest additions and improvements, check out https://twitter.com/steamworks

Reminder: Upcoming Steam Winter Sale
The Steam Winter Sale is just around the corner. If you have not yet entered discounts for your game and wish to participate in the winter sale, please do so now. You can find sale dates and discounting interface here: Steamworks - Build & Distribute Your Games on Steam

Cheers!
-The Steam Team

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Top sellers last week, In case you wondered ^^

Still boggles my mind how one single game can push such expensive enthusiast hardware.
Even something remotely similar happening on consoles would lead to fanboys gushing themselves to oblivion.
Friend sent me this via chat and this looks fun!

The kind of fun that make my CPU & GPU warm my room during Winter! The lighting and physics look fantastic.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. The dev is a madman! I could dick about for hours in the actual game and not even start the goal.
Yep, have my eyes on it for a while. What's most interesting is unlike many other games that feature physical destruction, here it's the main gameplay pillar. Could become highly replayable if there's workshop support.
Apparently gaming on PC is akin to flying on a spaceship, I don't know how are we managing such a hard task for so long folks.
I can see people not wanting to use a PC for gaming for various reasons. Don't want to add long cables, put the PC in the living room, friends on place etc..
But this argument that it's too complicated was always the weirdest one. Ironically, thinking it's difficult is a self-burn how inept one is rather than a jab at PC gaming. Whatever floats their boat I guess.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
The press release focuses a lot on narrative and world-building aspects. Could be they revert from the more action-oriented, stream-lined direction Infinite took.
Or at least I hope so. Compared to BS1, Infinite felt more restrictive in its ability system. Not even gonna go into underwhelming zipping across world aspect and painfully small weapon inventory.
We got greenlight today to include a feature that no one will expect.
It's really for a small niche of gamers though so don't get too hyped.

(Sorry for the content-less rumour-mongering, I'm just personally extremely happy about this one and want to share with the fine people here)
Finally. I was hoping devs would implement an ASCII mode in their games :p

yes ... yes, it is!

play it!!!
And it's also on sale atm. 75% for Ep1 and 51% for the whole season.
Wow, many thanks to Epic for being the reason for all these

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
RIGHT INTO MY FUCKING VEINS!!!!!!!!!!

Still boggles my mind how one single game can push such expensive enthusiast hardware.
Even something remotely similar happening on consoles would lead to fanboys gushing themselves to oblivion.
I'm really happy to see VR adoption going well, I know it's not for everyone but as a VR enthusiast, I'm just really happy!

That's both sad and good. Sad because going EGS exclusive is working out for Annapurna, but good because it proves that many people don't want to use EGS.
Totally understand your feeling, however I feel happy when I see games I care about doing well, I just can't avoid being optimistic :D

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019

In my local currency the game is around $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.