Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Totally understand your feeling, however I feel happy when I see games I care about doing well, I just can't avoid being optimistic :D
That's great, really! Not purchasing (former) EGS exclusives is a personal decision. While I often tend to be vocal about this decision, I don't blame anyone for doing otherwise.

Perhaps Ashen doing well on Steam may even persuade Annapurna to release future games on multiple storefronts. In the end, that's what it's all about for me.

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
It could not fail. It is the biggest release of the day.

Similarly, do not expect Hades to fail.
It won't be as big as Ashen (Ashen is 3-4 times bigger), but it has a decent number of followers. Plus, it will be the biggest non-VR release of the day.

Should be noted that Ashen had a Steam page since E3 2017. Hades only had a page for a few months. Followers arent really comparable because of this.

Reactions: Wok and MJunioR

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
It could not fail. It is the biggest release of the day.

Similarly, do not expect Hades to fail.
It won't be as big as Ashen (Ashen is 3-4 times bigger), but it has a decent number of followers. Plus, it will be the biggest non-VR release of the day.

Hades is easier to swallow because it’s still in EA, but Ashen being a relative success (even if it has a better price than on EGS) is a very good sign for our favorite software engineer, which is a net negative for the rest of us.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
We got greenlight today to include a feature that no one will expect.
It's really for a small niche of gamers though so don't get too hyped.

(Sorry for the content-less rumour-mongering, I'm just personally extremely happy about this one and want to share with the fine people here)
Could you, uh, please check if the game you're working on survives hibernation/sleep?
You know, for us, GPD Win owners...

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I do not agree that games selling on Steam, no matter the context, is good news for EGS. Clearly the tactic of choosing such a long exclusivity period is in part motivated by the idea that a year later sales will be lower, thus shifting people long term to the EGS and away from Steam. The goal is that at some point EGS can compete with Steam without needing these ridiculous handouts, which especially for indies probably cost easily as much as the production costs of the entire games. For AAA games it's probably enough to pay back the marketing costs, across all platforms, given the rumours of near two-digit millions.

I still believe that at some point this entire EGS thing will just quietly disappear. If a year or two later it's still a giant money sink without turning any profit or sizeable active audience, then even Epic with their Fortnite cash cow will look at better ways of spending their money

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
From gesturing and communicating with others to picking up and manipulating objects, our hands play an important role in how we interact with the world—and they’re key to unlocking the feeling of true presence in a virtual space. We first brought your hands into VR with Oculus Touch controllers, so you could engage in VR in a more natural way. Now, we’re taking the next step with hand tracking on Oculus Quest—letting you interact in VR without controllers, using your real hands.

Reactions: lashman and Mor

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
For me, there is no "winning" in relation to Ashen sales. If it sells well publishers will see at as a go ahead to do exclusives because there is little lost sales. But if it does poorly publishers will also just say "the game didn't sell well on Steam so we were right to take the money from Epic".

However, if games start selling way more on Steam than on EGS even a year later, that can't be good for Epic... all that money and almost no users opting to use their store.

yeah, it is! please everyone, buy and play it!
Your persistence is starting to convince me... (or maybe it just bullying :p )

I'm almost done with Darksiders Genesis, will probably start after that.

As for the Genesis, it has some issues but I have been having a lot of fun with it... it is just that everytime I play a new Darksiders game I go back and watch the ending of the first one and say to myself "one day....".

Reactions: Pommes and Ge0force

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone else notice instead of ignoring you may choose "played on another store" which basically ignores yet still uses them to generate recommendations?

As long as Steam knows even people who didn't play it can use the option and it's just a nice way to put it that they chose, so they don't think they lost sales.

Reactions: Lashley and Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
In case you want to see some data, 420ccu at the moment, 5th on global top sellers and so far 7 reviews, positive.

It's a shame we don't have the data from any of the other releases but I would love to know just to compare, if you ask me, it will do the usual numbers for Annapurna, around 20k copies from now until probably Feb.

Anyone else notice instead of ignoring games you can choose "played on another store" which basically ignores yet still uses them to generate recommendations?
Yes, that was added a few months ago, around September IIRC, it was a very demanded feature from the community and they added it at the same time as a few other additions, it's pretty great, more customization options is always a good sign.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I got this in my recommendation queue.

Looks cool.

For me, there is no "winning" in relation to Ashen sales. If it sells well publishers will see at as a go ahead to do exclusives because there is little lost sales. But if it does poorly publishers will also just say "the game didn't sell well on Steam so we were right to take the money from Epic".

However, if games start selling way more on Steam than on EGS even a year later, that can't be good for Epic... all that money and almost no users opting to use their store.
Well, money hats won't last forever outside big games they may want to secure for the hype (which they clearly can't afford for too long going by games like Borderlands 3 and RDR2 either I guess) so it's a win in that sense, that once they slow that down then games will stop having any reason to go EGS over Steam.

Reactions: sk2k

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So if I could play Wolfenstein 2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider quite well, what are the chances I could play Red Dead 2 also well?

Edit: just remembered huge size of the game, not sure my win drive is even that big haha.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Checking around on the web, seems like the EGS version of Ashen never received cloud saves either. However, as cloud saves needs to be manually activated on EGS due to the lack of backend, it doesn't excuse that activating Steam cloud saves is almost as pressing a button in Steamworks from what Ive been told before.
That is accurate.

You can in fact provide Steam cloud saves without making any changes to your game binary.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Does EGS supports achievements ? I see Ashen doesn’t have cards, that and the absence of Steam Cloud leads me to wonder if there wouldn’t be a feature parity clause in their EGS exclusive contract.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Does EGS supports achievements ? I see Ashen doesn’t have cards, that and the absence of Steam Cloud leads me to wonder if there wouldn’t be a feature parity clause in their EGS exclusive contract.
allegedly they do

they said they're tracking that stuff, but there just isn't anywhere to show it yet .... but no one knows if that's actually true since not even devs have access to any sort of backend (because there isn't one)

Reactions: Dandy and Li Kao

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
allegedly they do

they said they're tracking that stuff, but there just isn't anywhere to show it yet .... but no one knows if that's actually true since not even devs have access to any sort of backend (because there isn't one)
Are you sure you're not mixing EGS with Stadia? Thats what they do.

The only known achievement support for EGS is the ingame achievements Fortnite added for Chapter 2. (Which you cant even view the list for, you can only see unlocked achievements)

Reactions: Wok and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Are you sure you're not mixing EGS with Stadia? Thats what they do.

The only known achievement support for EGS is the ingame achievements Fortnite added for Chapter 2. (Which you cant even view the list for, you can only see unlocked achievements)
yeah, i'm sure

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Didn't Timmy scratch the roadmap like 6 moths ago? My guess is they decided. oh we actually have to put some effort into this. Next year I assume we'll hear all about this new client that finally brings all these features together to a 2012 standard.

Reactions: lashman

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Okay folks, I bought a Switch so if you have any videogame or accessory recommendation, go for it!
Fire Emblem: Three Houses is my favorite Nintendo game since Xenoblade Chronicles X. Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Xenoblade 2 are all really good as well.

Reactions: Jav

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Javetus
Vostok Inc. - mad, twin-stick space shooter with added capitalism. Very good for dipping in for a while every now and then. Oh and you can make a weapon that fires Space-Unicorns.
Hidden My Game By Mom - Amusing puzzle game based on finding your confiscated console. Originally on mobile so you may have played it already.
Thumb-Stick covers - Stops Stick rot and gives better grip to greasy, cheeto covered thumbs.

Reactions: Jav

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Anyone else notice instead of ignoring you may choose "played on another store" which basically ignores yet still uses them to generate recommendations?
Yeah that's a great option! I'm using this to ignore EGS exclusives without messing up my recommendations on Steam.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
How's Astral Chain on switch? Anybody played it? I'm constantly this close to picking up a switch, but with MK8 and BOTW on Wii U, nothing is quite pulling me over.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
So looks like full price for year late EGS exclusives, uh? Fine by me, I've waited a year at this point so what's a few more months for a deep discount? :p

Any hype I may have had for any of these games is loooooong gone at this point (except for Control, although I may not have to wait much longer if it's really coming to Game Pass lol). I'm also deep in backlog mode lately and I'm trying to get rid of the mentality that I need to beat games ASAP. I've just been bouncing between a bunch of games and it's been kinda relaxing to just play whatever I feel without any pressure to fully commit to them. Hell, it's even led to me taking "time off" from games entirely to watch some anime. Might even finally get around to watching Golden Wind! So yeah, between that and Game Pass I really haven't felt the need to buy anything lately outside of Humble.

The downside to that is that the "in progress" category in my Steam library has kinda grown out of control but that's not exactly a bad problem to have. Just means I have more things to choose from at any given time.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Tbh I would charge full price too if I were them, if people are willing to pay that they'd be dumb to not take advantage of the situation,
They can discount it later and get both people who'd purchase full price and others as well.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
Status
Not open for further replies.