Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So anyone bite the bullet on Ashen ? Is it in any way fixed compared to the EGS version ? I seem to recall problematic coop for example ?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Slow bios is definitely a Ryzen thing. Windows only takes 5 seconds max on the SSD, the rest is bios.

Not sure, Ryzen 3700X here and I boot from a NVMe SSD drive, and I managed to activate that Ultra Fast boot option after converting my Windows partition to UEFI. Now bios time is around 5 seconds.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So Im reading on Reddit and ERA questions about what will happen if Sony releases games on PC. Did something happen?

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
yeah, it is! please everyone, buy and play it!

also:

and:

and:

I bought it because of you.

I've completed the first episode and it's incredible... but I hate so many things about it and the world it depicts (mainly all the racist shit). I mean... it's done so well that it kinda feels "real".

When I saw there was a puppy I noped out so fast it's not even funny. I wanted to avoid a John Wick situation at all costs... and now Dontnod, or rather Daniel, ignored my will and I just... ugh. I'm forced to travel with her and I just see her death coming from a mile away. Hit by a car or drowned in a river...

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Slow bios is definitely a Ryzen thing. Windows only takes 5 seconds max on the SSD, the rest is bios.

FWIW, I have 21 seconds on a 9900k, so it's not that big a difference.

But I have a non-consumer number of HDDs, PCIe devices and USB devices connected which probably affects this.

Reactions: bobnowhere

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Major League Baseball? Well, guess Sony fans really like their sports exclusives.
In a way yes, as Cordelia mentioned FIFA is a system seller of itself. I don't think EA does any sort of exclusive deals with FIFA on consoles does it?

Also Sony seems to really like advertising FIFA, if you look at a lot of their commercials they almost always feature FIFA.

But the thing about MLB compared to say FIFA is that MLB is mainly an American thing? From my understanding the only places that play baseball are the US, Japan and Latin America. What's funny is how in the US baseball is called America favorite pastime or something like that but yet American Football seems to be much more popular. Speaking of American Football do people regular buy Madden in the EU?

Looking at other sports, you have Hockey which is not that popular compared to other sports and wile EA does still make NHL games they are pretty niche. Then you have golf which is also niche. Stuff like Basketball is not niche however (2K) and is in fact very popular (especially in places like China and some other Asian countries, I'm pretty sure that a big portion of the NBA2K game sales on Steam are from China)

All of the other sports games are multiplatform and they do sell which is why they get yearly instalments. I think MLB is maybe the only sports game that is tied to one single platform and thus limits the amount of people that are buying it

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Not sure if this has been posted already, but this is a hugely positive sign that Valve is attempting to address communication shortcomings.

I think it's especially interesting in the context of this video.
Guy gets so much wrong on that video, trying to link Kasey coming to Valve to Valve becoming more open, as well as still trying to say Valve wanted to just put the game on Steam without any trailer before hand. All the communication changes have been going on for at least a year (Underlords started talking from announcement, months before Kasey joined Valve, Campo Santo devs were much more outspoken about what they were doing on twitter ,etc). PR has been slowly improving in a year.

Kasey being hired is I imagine more related to a push for better esports content in the next year (maybe with better planning of CSGO, as they did ban the franchise style that some clubs tried to import from Overwatch), as well as (yes) improved PR.

Keighley seems to have been following HLA for at least a year and it probably has been part of TGA concept since some months ago (as trailers arent made in 1 week, but rather months). The documentary is also likely half way done (as it would be stupid to start it in January to launch it for HL:A launch, due to only having 3 months to shoot and post production it).

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
FWIW, I have 21 seconds on a 9900k, so it's not that big a difference.

But I have a non-consumer number of HDDs, PCIe devices and USB devices connected which probably affects this.
Yeah, I have 4 internal HDD/SSD, 3 external and assorted other crap attached to the PC!

Reactions: Joe Spangle

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
In a way yes, as Cordelia mentioned FIFA is a system seller of itself. I don't think EA does any sort of exclusive deals with FIFA on consoles does it?

Also Sony seems to really like advertising FIFA, if you look at a lot of their commercials they almost always feature FIFA.

But the thing about MLB compared to say FIFA is that MLB is mainly an American thing? From my understanding the only places that play baseball are the US, Japan and Latin America. What's funny is how in the US baseball is called America favorite pastime or something like that but yet American Football seems to be much more popular. Speaking of American Football do people regular buy Madden in the EU?

Looking at other sports, you have Hockey which is not that popular compared to other sports and wile EA does still make NHL games they are pretty niche. Then you have golf which is also niche. Stuff like Basketball is not niche however (2K) and is in fact very popular (especially in places like China and some other Asian countries, I'm pretty sure that a big portion of the NBA2K game sales on Steam are from China)

All of the other sports games are multiplatform and they do sell which is why they get yearly instalments. I think MLB is maybe the only sports game that is tied to one single platform and thus limits the amount of people that are buying it
FIFA has a promotion agreement with Sony. Sony also buys a lot of adverts in football events like the CL.

Reactions: PC-tan and MJunioR

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Maybe I am the only one but I can't find SaGa Scarlett Grace fun. Or maybe I am playing wrong.
Is there a way to get more stars at the beginning of the fight?
How does United Attack work, what are the requirements to perform one?
Is there any faster way to rank up skills?

I am playing Urpina's campaign, currently finding someone to learn dual wielding from. How long is there left?

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Maybe I am the only one but I can't find SaGa Scarlett Grace fun. Or maybe I am playing wrong.
Is there a way to get more stars at the beginning of the fight?
How does United Attack work, what are the requirements to perform one?
Is there any faster way to rank up skills?

I am playing Urpina's campaign, currently finding someone to learn dual wielding from. How long is there left?
There are different formations that you can set, with their own quirks like reduced BP costs for specific weapons, or unique ways for BP to increase and/or higher max BP in general.

Really the most "stars" you can have at the start is 5.

United Attacks work whenever a gap is created on the timeline, and on either side of that gap is a unit on the same team. So if you defeat an enemy that's between two (or more) of your units that are connected to each other, they'll join together for a United Attack afterwards.

HOWEVER...

The same can be true of the enemy! For example, if you defeat an enemy that is in-between other enemies on the timeline, they will get a free United Attack, Similarly, they can try and target your party to get off United Attacks of their own.

By "skills" do you mean weapon levels, or "Techs", which are actual attacks?

Edit: You're like 1/3rd of the way through the game, if that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
There are different formations that you can set, with their own quirks like reduced BP costs for specific weapons, or unique ways for BP to increase and/or higher max BP in general.

Really the most "stars" you can have at the start is 5.

United Attacks work whenever a gap is created on the timeline, and on either side of that gap is a unit on the same team. So if you defeat an enemy that's between two (or more) of your units that are connected to each other, they'll join together for a United Attack afterwards.

HOWEVER...

The same can be true of the enemy! For example, if you defeat an enemy that is in-between other enemies on the timeline, they will get a free United Attack, Similarly, they can try and target your party to get off United Attacks of their own.

By "skills" do you mean weapon levels, or "Techs", which are actual attacks?

Edit: You're like 1/3rd of the way through the game, if that much.
Oh, so the United Attacks triggers something like Luxor? That's good to know
Yeah, I meant Techs.

Only 1/3 of the game. Hmm. I might be able to finish Urpina's campaign without getting too bored :D

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

I've completed the first episode and it's incredible... but I hate so many things about it and the world it depicts (mainly all the racist shit). I mean... it's done so well that it kinda feels "real".

When I saw there was a puppy I noped out so fast it's not even funny. I wanted to avoid a John Wick situation at all costs... and now Dontnod, or rather Daniel, ignored my will and I just... ugh. I'm forced to travel with her and I just see her death coming from a mile away. Hit by a car or drowned in a river...

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Oh, so the United Attacks triggers something like Luxor? That's good to know
Yeah, I meant Techs.

Only 1/3 of the game. Hmm. I might be able to finish Urpina's campaign without getting too bored :D
I really encourage you to think outside the box with combat! It's a really deceptively technical system once you get down to it. I was having a lot of trouble with the final boss until I realized how I could use the inevitability of party members wiping to my advantage.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
The important question i have,
will only the first part be exclusive?
Or will the following parts be timed exclusive too?
if the rest of the parts come out, my bet is that they won't be timed exclusive.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Guy gets so much wrong on that video, trying to link Kasey coming to Valve to Valve becoming more open, as well as still trying to say Valve wanted to just put the game on Steam without any trailer before hand.
Tyler McVicker is only as good as his sources. If his sources told him Valve intended to shadowdop their "flagship 2019 VR title" in late 2019 without a trailer, then it was true at the time.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that sources within Valve have also told him that the HL Alyx team still doesn't have non-teleportation movement working. There's no reason to doubt this. His sources are reliable. They're the reason we've known what HL Alyx is for over a year. HL Alyx is 3 months from release, and the movement system isn't working. Which is... concerning, but that's how Valve rolls. They cut shit awfully close at times. (They also scrapped and rebooted HL Alyx in early 2019. It's Half-Life 1 all over again.)

I think the danger is that a lot of people thought Valve had gotten over their teleportation fixation. (It's been the subject of scorn within VR communities for al ong time.) But they hadn't. And if HL Alyx is blatantly designed around teleportation, there is going to be some backlash because teleportation is a rather unpopular locomotion method. It's going to be compared very unfavorably to Boneworks, which is non-teleportation based. Also, it's a Half-life game where continuous player perspective is so critical. If huge chunks of the game consist of standing in a tiny square and shooting waves of enemies (and concerningly, multiple shots in the trailer are just that) they could have a problem.

Where McVicker is weaker is personal speculation. However, he's quite right that with Kasey taking over, Valve are putting out actual press releases with contact details on them with someone who actually answers questions in a timely manner. It's a notable shift in PR. They're taking press/developer/customer relations seriously in a way they haven't before. Kasey is simply the most obvious manifestation of that. She's the most obvious evidence of a wider trend.

Everything he says about Valve being caught completely off guard by positive reception towards HL Alyx, them failing to build enough headsets, etc, is coming directly from someone with Valve who has been feeding him information that pretty much always turns out to be correct, even if it only turns out to be correct years after the fact. When he doesn't have validation for stuff, he's very careful to specify that he's speculating. If he says that the next game Valve is announcing is Left 4 Dead VR, then either they announce it or they cancel it.

On a slightly different note, back in 2018 Tyler posted this video about an unconfirmed story leak for HL3. And it is completely batshit.

I'll be very interested to see whether The Final Hours confirms this story. Tyler claims that The Final Hours will cover the various projects that preceded Alyx.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Only at Episode 3, and it lessens the impact of the whole narrative if all of the powerlessness of the boy with power is because he makes incredible stupid decisions and your own actions to be a good rolemodel is completely thrown out of the water when it matters.
You've just to try and experience the game on your own away from all the end of the year hyperbole

Tyler McVicker is only as good as his sources. If his sources told him Valve intended to shadowdop their "flagship 2019 VR title" in late 2019 without a trailer, then it was true at the time.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that sources within Valve have also told him that the HL Alyx team still doesn't have non-teleportation movement working. There's no reason to doubt this. His sources are reliable. They're the reason we've known what HL Alyx is for over a year. HL Alyx is 3 months from release, and the movement system isn't working. Which is... concerning, but that's how Valve rolls. They cut shit awfully close at times. (They also scrapped and rebooted HL Alyx in early 2019. It's Half-Life 1 all over again.)

I think the danger is that a lot of people thought Valve had gotten over their teleportation fixation. (It's been the subject of scorn within VR communities for al ong time.) But they hadn't. And if HL Alyx is blatantly designed around teleportation, there is going to be some backlash because teleportation is a rather unpopular locomotion method. It's going to be compared very unfavorably to Boneworks, which is non-teleportation based. Also, it's a Half-life game where continuous player perspective is so critical. If huge chunks of the game consist of standing in a tiny square and shooting waves of enemies (and concerningly, multiple shots in the trailer are just that) they could have a problem.

Where McVicker is weaker is personal speculation. However, he's quite right that with Kasey taking over, Valve are putting out actual press releases with contact details on them with someone who actually answers questions in a timely manner. It's a notable shift in PR. They're taking press/developer/customer relations seriously in a way they haven't before. Kasey is simply the most obvious manifestation of that. She's the most obvious evidence of a wider trend.

Everything he says about Valve being caught completely off guard by positive reception towards HL Alyx, them failing to build enough headsets, etc, is coming directly from someone with Valve who has been feeding him information that pretty much always turns out to be correct, even if it only turns out to be correct years after the fact. When he doesn't have validation for stuff, he's very careful to specify that he's speculating. If he says that the next game Valve is announcing is Left 4 Dead VR, then either they announce it or they cancel it.

On a slightly different note, back in 2018 Tyler posted this video about an unconfirmed story leak for HL3. And it is completely batshit.

I'll be very interested to see whether The Final Hours confirms this story. Tyler claims that The Final Hours will cover the various projects that preceded Alyx.
I'm not down with VR lingo, is teleportation in this sense, the VR equivalent to, say, a rail shooter where movement is limited to predetermined locations?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm not down with VR lingo, is teleportation in this sense, the VR equivalent to, say, a rail shooter where movement is limited to predetermined locations?
Do you remember or know the translocator from old Unreal Tournament Games? It's that.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
You've just to try and experience the game on your own away from all the end of the year hyperbole

Typically you can move around the environment with some degree of freedom. But you point where you want to go, press a button, and get teleported to that spot. You don't actually walk there. Implementations vary, but Doom VR is a good example. (There are mods that add normal movement, too.)

If you've never played VR, image playing Dishonored but you can only move around using Blink. You can't actually move. You just teleport around. It would severely hurt a game like Dishonored if the game whole game were designed around never moving and only Blinking.

The thing about HL Alyx is that when you watch the trailer, you see these clear "minimum player area" spots. A square in the environment where the player can stand and lean around a pillar or whatever. Also, there are platforms on top of Striders that look like minimum play area boundaries. The original motivation for teleportation movement was avoiding motion sickness. But as VR has matured, the initial paranoia about never moving the camera around has proven somewhat needless. There are plenty of games that play fantastically while letting you move freely. Boneworks is built around free movement. Also stuff like jumping. Teleportation means that traditional Half-Life environmental traversal puzzles likely won't work because the intended mode of traversal is zapping around.

What this practically means for gameplay is HL Alyx could overtly be designed around "zap to spot, look around, do something, zap to next spot". And look, Valve have amazing game designers working for them. I'm sure it'll be amazing regardless. But I think there's a stubbornness within the VR team that led to them sticking with teleportation movement, and if it manifests really strongly in the game design there's gonna be some disappointment. It's a case of misreading the market a little bit. Audiences by and large don't want teleportation. They want to walk around freely. HL Alyx is putting so much work into being this generation-defining VR experience. But it defaults to teleportation, and reliable sources indicate they don't have the other modes working properly yet. They will get them working, I'm sure. But will they feel right? Will the teleportation have visibly negative impacts on the underlying game design? That's the worry.

Reactions: Wok

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018

Fuck, I only played the first episode too and had forgotten about the puppy. Now I'm sad because of what will probably happen.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Teleport Movement in VR usually means you place a target on the floor and "Teleport" there or there are set markers in the environment and you "Teleport" to them.

Reactions: ISee

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
What hyperbole?
The tweet you posted seems a bit hyperbolic, but I may have misread it. That second last sentence just doesn't seem enough to throw your hands up over

Do you remember or know the translocator from old Unreal Tournament Games? It's that.
But without the translocator I'd assume, unless her gloves are teleporters as well... Sounds lovely... :(

Reactions: lashman and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
But without the translocator I'd assume, unless her gloves are teleporters as well... Sounds lovely... :(
It's not really a device in most VR games, you just push the left stick, a marker appears and you position it where you want to teleport and the direction you want to look at. It takes some practice but it works well and is a good way to avoid motion sickness.
The UT translocator is just the most easy way to describe how this stuff work to most people.

Free movement is better, but it needs to be well made and you need to train for it. I would not recommend free movement to anybody new to VR.
Games like Pavlov VR demonstrate that it can be done and that people can adjust.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So I guess about 7 min till we get to know if the Horizon Zero Dawn PC rumors are true (I doubt it) and if it is, I assume it's a EGS exclusive.

Reactions: ISee

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I dont care for about 90% of Sony first party games, but I'd love for them all to come to PC just to see the amount of hot takes we'd get from the Sony fanboys.

"Why does the playstation even exist if their games are coming to PC" is a personal favorite of mine.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

I am OK with him being as good as his sources, but he needs to have some level of critical thinking. As I said, pinning the change on Kasey coming to Valve when Valve PR has already been changing for a while is a bit backwards, as the change has happened before, it is more an effect than a cause of the system ( which is a big difference!). Similar with the "no trailer happening" he said a week before the announcement. Trailers such as that (or the involvement of Keighley) do not happen in less than 2 months (as I said, the documentary is probably half way done, as post-process itself takes at least 1 month).

Also, a bit stupid to say "Tyler claims that The Final Hours will cover the various projects that preceded Alyx." when that was confirmed when it was announced.

Basically, the guy needs to have some level of critical thinking of what information he is fed and the believability of it, as he seems to take the bait in a ton of things that might not be true at all.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
So I guess about 7 min till we get to know if the Horizon Zero Dawn PC rumors are true (I doubt it) and if it is, I assume it's a EGS exclusive.
Even if it is coming, I'm not sure they would announce it this year tbh.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I am OK with him being as good as his sources, but he needs to have some level of critical thinking. As I said, pinning the change on Kasey coming to Valve when Valve PR has already been changing for a while is a bit backwards, as the change has happened before, it is more an effect than a cause of the system ( which is a big difference!). Similar with the "no trailer happening" he said a week before the announcement. Trailers such as that (or the involvement of Keighley) do not happen in less than 2 months (as I said, the documentary is probably half way done, as post-process itself takes at least 1 month).

Also, a bit stupid to say "Tyler claims that The Final Hours will cover the various projects that preceded Alyx." when that was confirmed when it was announced.

Basically, the guy needs to have some level of critical thinking of what information he is fed and the believability of it, as he seems to take the bait in a ton of things that might not be true at all.
Fair enough.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I don't know if they'd put it on this show. That would make everyone watching salty. If it happens, I'd expect it at the VGAs.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019

Got this for cheap because of word of mouth at other places, dropping in to say the hype is on point. Great little title. Was playing this on my 10 year old Dell 2007FP while watching Hulu on my 9 year old Dell 2410U, on my 7 year old GPU. Now you can all go back to discussing your upper crust focused VR gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.