Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
So, there is a blog post about the generation of anime faces. The results shown online were obtained after 38 days of training at a resolution of 512px (then upscaled to 1024px with waifu2x).

However, one apparently gets reasonably good results after 2 days of training at lower resolution (256px).
In the blog post, it is not recommended to use free options though, so it is an expense of $50-$500 to get things right.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So, there is a blog post about the generation of anime faces. The results shown online were obtained after 38 days of training.

However, one gets reasonably good results after 2 days at lower resolution (256px, or 512px).
God have mercy. They can put all of that in a book instead of a blog post.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So, if L4D 3 is VR exclusive we will have another week of healthy salt baths?
A VR L4D would be so cool. Im not saying "No" to a regular L4D, but Im not sure how much can be innovated without it just being yet another L4D with new characters, maps, weapons and perhaps a new mode. Well, maybe some people will want that, but if Valve can't find enough passion for another desktop L4D then I can't fault them for doing a VR one.

It's important that devs have fun and passion when making a game. If VR is needed for Valve to get passion from making a game, then so be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
You can totally bet that YES, but also it will make even more people jump into VR.
Yep, Valve and Facebook better work harder on production of their headsets. Alyx is already an overkill, L4D would be just glorious.
PSVR portbegging?
Is it bad I want all these people who are happy about games being exclusives to their platform taste their own medicine?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Don't think it's necessarily about innovation, just wanting to make cool VR shit, maybe they'll try and do non-VR shit again, VR was a thing when they last did.

Reactions: Wok

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
What people need to understand despite how much it may dissapoint them, Valve doesn't wanna make "yet another regular shooter" or "yet another regular zombie shooter".

They wanna innovate and Im sure they have researched desktop gaming enough to see there isn't much new they can do.
Exactly. Valve wants to push the VR market, making it more interesting for devs to create VR-only games.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Don't think it's necessarily about innovation, just wanting to make cool VR shit, maybe they'll try and do non-VR shit again, VR was a thing when they last did.
Didn't they talk about that there are so many innovative gameplay mechanics that can only be done in VR which made the studio more interested in making Half-Life again in Keighleys video?

Keighley also wrote about innovative level design in his tweets about the game.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The 50% offer was too good to resist so I am now ready to get unreasonably angry and frustrated by a 9 year old kid in Life is Strange 2!
I take it i have to play Life is Strange first so i can bitch about how LiS2 isn't LiS1 too?
congrats :)

and no, you don't have to play the first one

and try not to get frustrated with him ... he IS just a kid, after all - that's the entire point

hope you'll enjoy the game! :thumbsupblob:

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

:face-throwing-a-kiss:
I backed this and am awaiting its arrival.

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
"L3ft VR Dead"?
"Left VR D3ad"?

The cover art needs to be the iconic hand but covering someones mouth as they throw up from Sim Sickness.

DeStra's getting GOTY in many places for sure.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Hot take!

L4D3 will be compatible with VR but it won't be required, however, Valve will develop a VR-only mode to make people interested in buying lots of indexes. :detectiveblob:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hot take!

L4D3 will be compatible with VR but it won't be required, however, Valve will develop a VR-only mode to make people interested in buying lots of indexes. :detectiveblob:
I think that's probable, yeah.

Btw, did anybody play Commando 2 when it released ? Is there a pause function ?
Is Shadow Tactics unique or not ?

Edit - Trying to evaluate if I should be hyped for C2 HD or not.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
It's both sad and interesting to see pc gaming enthusiasts sailing the high seas and openly talk about it again after so many years. And the funny thing is, I don't blame them. I would even prefer them to pirate a game over buying it on EGS. Should I feel bad now?
Unless I'm unable to purchase it because it is either no longer for sale or unavailable where I live, I'm not a fan of it. I'm not turning anyone in or passing judgement, just a personal policy. I've been burned "borrowing" things too often in the distant past. I also subscribe to the idea that people deserve to be paid for their work/software and I do not pirate ANY content.

Also, yes, apologies to MetaCouncil and its members for a few weeks ago.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Are Knight of Cards, Spector of Hope etc. different knigts you play as in the same levels as when I finished the original game? Never really understood what the DLCs did, is it just another knight/character you play as?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Are Knight of Cards, Spector of Hope etc. different knigts you play as in the same levels as when I finished the original game? Never really understood what the DLCs did, is it just another knight/character you play as?
They're new campaigns with those new characters. I think that some of the places you find yourself into are re-used but with many modifications.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Unless I'm unable to purchase it because it is either no longer for sale or unavailable where I live, I'm not a fan of it. I'm not turning anyone in or passing judgement, just a personal policy. I've been burned "borrowing" things too often in the distant past. I also subscribe to the idea that people deserve to be paid for their work/software and I do not pirate ANY content.

Also, yes, apologies to MetaCouncil and its members for a few weeks ago.
Same here, I've stopped pirating as soon as I got a job and earned money to buy games. The only game I've "pirated' lately was Dead Space, but that was because I own the disc version and my current PC doesn't have a disc drive anymore. I'm just ignoring EGS exclusives, which is easy for me since there are much more great games out there than I have time to play them.

Oh and don't worry for what happened a few weeks ago. I understand your disappointment, and we all need to vent our frustrations from time to time. I do this almost every week in the EGS thread, which somehow reliefs me and helps me to keep enjoying pc gaming, despite the scummy things that have been happening.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
L4D VR sounds like a nightmare gone wrong. Imagine being surrounded by zombies as far as your eyes can see, armed with nothing but a rusty baseball bat, while your teammates are dying on the ground a few meters from you. Can't reach them to revive them, can't kill all the zombies on your own. And you hear a witch crying nearby, while a tank is smashing through the walls on your side. You know you won't survive, but you refuse to go down without a fight.

That's too much, man!

Reactions: madjoki and ISee

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I dropped piracy when I got internet fast enough to download from legit sources and not spending money on bootleg DVDs, it also ended up being cheaper. However, there's stuff that either cost you obscene amount of money it's clearly not worth (stuff like Jericho or Raven's Wolfenstein from recent examples) or simply nonexistent outside of Ebay (Gadget: Past is Future) which I won't feel bad about pirating since it's basically the only way to experience it.

Status
Not open for further replies.