Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Is it much better than Gear VR and PSVR? The former was nice, but it looks kinda bad and blurry. The latter was considerably better, especially with the ability to dodge and aim by moving the controllers. I also tried an escape room VR game once, where you moved your hands to interact with the environment without any controller; it was cool but I felt dizzy after a while.

I'm really curious at how different a good VR game and headset can be. All this talk about VR is getting me really excited, haha.
Rift S is leaps beyond better than PSVR (I own PSVR and Rift). Way better tracking, way better controllers, roomscale (if you have room for it), higher resolution, less blurr and a way bigger library.

I don't know what Gear VR is so can't say anything about it.

Reactions: ISee and RionaaM

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Is it much better than Gear VR and PSVR? The former was nice, but it looks kinda bad and blurry. The latter was considerably better, especially with the ability to dodge and aim by moving the controllers. I also tried an escape room VR game once, where you moved your hands to interact with the environment without any controller; it was cool but I felt dizzy after a while.

I'm really curious at how different a good VR game and headset can be. All this talk about VR is getting me really excited, haha.
Prior to the Index, my only experience with VR were those un-named headsets that you could use at fairs / exhibits, but it was never gaming specific, so I can't really comment / compare the Index to something else.

Ah, one more thing: I wear glasses and the set does fit over most of my frames. I tried without glasses as well, but my eyes got tired really quickly :disappointed-but-relieved-face:

Reactions: ISee and RionaaM

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Luckily i had two pairs of old glasses that had thin frames and fit under the headset nicely.
When i get my next set of specs i'll make sure that one pair has a thin frame again.

Reactions: Arsene and Milena

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Rift S is leaps beyond better than PSVR (I own PSVR and Rift). Way better tracking, way better controllers, roomscale (if you have room for it), higher resolution, less blurr and a way bigger library.

I don't know what Gear VR is so can't say anything about it.
It's strange to think that similar things (in this case VR headsets) can be so different! As you say, the controllers probably make a huge difference.

Gear VR is a headset made by Oculus for some Samsung phones, where you literally strap your phone to use it as screen and processing hardware. It's basically a caveman's VR solution, but it works.

Mine didn't come with the controller or the camera, so the only input was a little touchpad at the side of the headset. Far from the most comfortable or versatile controller, mind you :p
Sadly I can't use it anymore because my phone's screen is busted, with huge bright pink lines (and tiny green ones) covering half of the screen. I bet that would burn my eyes when seen in VR.

Prior to the Index, my only experience with VR were those un-named headsets that you could use at fairs / exhibits, but it was never gaming specific, so I can't really comment / compare the Index to something else.

Ah, one more thing: I wear glasses and the set does fit over most of my frames. I tried without glasses as well, but my eyes got tired really quickly :disappointed-but-relieved-face:
That's good to know, because I wear glasses too!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It's strange to think that similar things (in this case VR headsets) can be so different!

That's good to know, because I wear glasses too!
They all are. Even Oculus Quest and Rift S are different.
Glasses were a big problem, especially with CV1 and PSVR. The one time I tried out CV1, I had to wear contact lenses. It was impossible to fit my glasses under there. Rift S is no problem and even more comfortable than PSVR. Seems like they all learned from first generation headsets.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Can someone remind me how the Humble billing works? I always found this confusing

I've signed up for this month's bundle with the $9 offer and it says my next billing date is now 27th December. But what happens on 6th December then? Do I not get access to the following bundle? Surely I do but why am I being charged on the 27th then?
Go to your humble monthly page and use the "pay now" option

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The only thing I didn't enjoy is how hard it is to read a text.
Me as a former PSVR user: Oh you have no idea what unreadable text is.
Jokes aside: I actually think it is pretty good, maybe try adjusting the software IPD thingy. It can make a huge difference. I went to an optician and my IPD is actually 69.7 cm and not the 67 cm as I thought on my first day.
I've set my Rift S to 70 and it made a huge difference in clarity, despite being just a software solution.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Oh my God! Why didn't anyone tell me about the Triumph jingle for the Steam Controller?
The whole custom jingle thing is one of the many small features I deeply appreciate about the Steam controller. It's great if you play a lot of local coop/multiplayer to be able to immediately distinguish controllers.

I really hope Valve makes a new one.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

So much for their dumbass countdowns
So where is the vanilla port SEGA :SuspiciousKawakami:

Honestly i am legit salty that i decided to skip Judgemento on PS4 thinking that a PC version must be inevitable now, and it's already been 6 months without an announcement yet

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
So where is the vanilla port SEGA :SuspiciousKawakami:

Honestly i am legit salty that i decided to skip Judgemento on PS4 thinking that a PC version must be inevitable now, and it's already been 6 months without an announcement yet
Just emulate it :blobmorning2:

Reactions: PC-tan

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I'm not buying any EGS exclusive on Steam, I just lost interest.

Meaningful of not, I'll feel better sticking to my principles because that "almighty capitalism" wins the moment people stops caring....which seems to be the case nowadays.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Damn I just finished playing Arkham VR (thanks ISee for recommending it). I honestly can't remember this level of amazement and disbelief since the first time I went to the movies as a kid. Like a "wow this is so much different from anything I have ever experienced so far in my life" kind of amazement.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Damn I just finished playing Arkham VR (thanks ISee for recommending it). I honestly can't remember this level of amazement and disbelief since the first time I went to the movies as a kid. Like a "wow this is so much different from everything I ever experienced so far in my life" kind of amazement.
you're Batman!

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Wait what, what's this about custom jingles for Steam Controller!?!?
"Custom" was probably a bad word to use. I just meant that being able to select a startup jingle for your own Steam controller (and have it stay with the hardware) is extremely useful if you e.g. take it with you for local co-op/versus gaming.

Back when we did that with 360 controllers we sometimes had to take out the batteries to figure out who a particular controller belonged to, and even that doesn't always work :p

(Edit: I'm sure someone will now tell me that you could just mark your controller with a permanent marker or something -- yes you can, but that's something you think about after you need it, and let's be honest, it's not nearly as cool as the Steam controller solution)

Last edited:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
While i'm already on the topic of things i'm unreasonably salty about, i wish the HALO MCC would be 6 individual releases instead of a single collection so i could create a steam collection called halo and look at the games individual cover arts in it

:NotLikeDis:

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Finished setting up a new PC and getting ready to transfer my games over. I have an SSD setup as a Steam library folder. Can I just move the drive over as-is and point Steam to it as a library folder again with no issue? I guess I need to figure out moving saves as well.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
In all fairness XCOM2 is great but the predeterminad seed RNG takes away half the fun of it.
you can say that again, lol

Finished setting up a new PC and getting ready to transfer my games over. I have an SSD setup as a Steam library folder. Can I just move the drive over as-is and point Steam to it as a library folder again with no issue? I guess I need to figure out moving saves as well.
i think you need something to do that ... can't remember the name right now

it was something like "steam library mover" or something like that ...

maybe madjoki remembers?

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Yeah, pretty much.
If you want to be more picky about what to move, then you need the game folder + the appmanifest_*.acf file, with the number being the app ID for the game, but if you just want everything then just move the whole folder/drive and re-add it to Steam.

Reactions: lashman

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
So, Freeman ended being much better than what I expected. I've clocked 11 hrs since yesterday on it and even if a bit grindy, the combat is fun and I can wait until I can take cities for myself as apparently the management system is a bit more in-depth than the one in M&B.

Also, there will be support for custom campaigns once Workshop support comes in, which should add even more content, although what I want the most with the workshop support is a reworked UI, as the actual one seems to be straight out of an asset flip. Hell, I'd be cool with a better font.

I couldn't forgot to mention the gambling system that is available in every city bar. You can win a dress, like a did, one of the best guns in the game, some materials that are worth less than the roll fee, or you can get robbed and lose 2x the roll fee - which I got twice. Real fun!

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
Finished up Katana Zero and it's definitely hitting my GOTY list. It's not very long and there is some replayability, if you're one of the people that can replay games. I'm not. But what was there was intensely satisfying.

The core gameplay is like a maque choux of Hotline Miami and Mark of the Ninja. It plays tight -- really tight. Every death is a learning moment that makes you pause for a second, reflect for a nanosecond, and then smash the button to try again, which is clever when you realize that the game uses that fact in its core narrative. And as much as the gameplay informs the narrative, the narrative mirrors the gameplay in how terse and punchy and satisfying the writing is. Dialogue choices and a hurry-up mechanic that lets you interrupt a conversation provide some meatiness to the breakneck-speed plot that only gets bigger and bigger the more it turns in itself. If there's a incoming sequel or expansion, I'm there.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I need a HDD to fit RDR 2 but if I buy the HDD I wont be able to afford RDR2. Fun times.
Time to start deleting things.

I uninstalled Watch Dogs 2 to make room for stuff coming this week. I played it for 2hrs earlier this year and quit because it was so boring so wtvr.

supposed leak
Kinda underwhelming so hopefully its fake.

Last edited:

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Yeah, pretty much.
If you want to be more picky about what to move, then you need the game folder + the appmanifest_*.acf file, with the number being the app ID for the game, but if you just want everything then just move the whole folder/drive and re-add it to Steam.
Thanks! I am just moving the whole drive since it was setup for games only and has several modded games I don't want to have to redo anyway.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I uninstalled Watch Dogs 2 to make room for stuff coming this week. I played it for 2hrs earlier this year and quit because it was so boring so wtvr.
I guess it is time to admit I wont play AC Origins anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.