Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
After doing a quick observation at GAF and ERA, mainly to see peoples reaction to the CP2077 reviews, Im glad I left the forums, too much drama going on, don't think it's healthy for anyone to be around so much drama and shitspewing everywhere.

Like how calm it is here.
Yup. Cyberpunk? Half life 4? Not a single fck was given that day.

Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
IIRC, the whole Japanese/Chinese thing originates from Blade Runner and was basically just meant to be this small dystopic world-building detail. Like, Deckard eating noodles in the street with chop sticks was supposed to be shocking because back then I guess people were worried about those countries becoming bigger powers.

Not sure where I read that, though, so I could be wrong or misremembering.
Asian 'representation' in cyberpunk stems from a fear the West (ie the US) had for Japan, they thought they would dominate the world (ie them). They thought they would become ubiquitous. You can even see this in back Back to the Future Part 2, where a Japanese boss fires Marty.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Asian 'representation' in cyberpunk stems from a fear the West (ie the US) had for Japan, they thought they would dominate the world (ie them). They thought they would become ubiquitous. You can even see this in back Back to the Future Part 2, where a Japanese boss fires Marty.
At the same time, there was also wonder, the fascination with the exotic and new. Japan to a large extent in its specific culture, and Asia in a more vague, fuzzy way, was very appealing in its new set of values and ways of looking at life.

It's not always all bad.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
At the same time, there was also wonder, the fascination with the exotic and new. Japan to a large extent in its specific culture, and Asia in a more vague, fuzzy way, was very appealing in its new set of values and ways of looking at life.

It's not always all bad.
That would be fine if the Japanese government hadnt used its media for propaganda purposes. There's tons of people who think the samurai were honorable when they were pretty much ruthless mercenaries.

Reactions: Swenhir

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Cybepunk Eurogamer reviewer in the comments :

ChrisTapsellEG (Staff) 7 hours ago
@Lexkalin It's extremely CPU-heavy on the performance front. I'm on an i5-9400F, it's passable on a mix of medium/high at 1080p, aiming for 30fps, dipping a fair bit below that with high-speed driving and population-dense areas. No expert on this though and CDPR did specifically say this build is "not for benchmarking" because performance is part of the content of the upcoming patch.

So who knows, maybe the day 0 patch will indeed have a positive effect on the framerate.
But the buggy as hell talking point seen everywhere is worrying, too.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Children of Morta is nice!
This is the kind of "rogue-lite" that I can get behind - nice permanent carry-over each run as well as some nice character moments / story stuff ater every run.
Very much agreed. Children of Morta was one of my favourite rougue-lites.

Swords of Ditto is somewhat similar in how much carries over, though it's different in structure (since it actually requires quite a few playthroughs to get to the true ending).

It accuses fans of the genre to be vapid, and ignoring some "deeper" themes. But the truth of the matter is, that person saying "Wow!! Cool Future!!", that's not the fans or readers of Cyberpunk. That person is also the writers. Yeah, there's maybe some deeper ideas there, implicitly in the background, but the stories never focus on it. It's just about crazy robot people, AIs doing evil things, and the world generally being various kind of shit. There's no clearly directed criticism, no idealism, nothing.
There's a reason this just died out in the 80s, and is being rediscovered today. It's because it wasn't some productive movement that had something to say. It's was just a fad. And we in 21st century are running out of new ideas, so we are regurgitating old stuff from the 80s.
Ok, that's a bad take. There's obviously all kinds of stories out there, and some of them certainly lean more on the entertainment side (not that there is anything inherently wrong with that). But just because they are not always the focus of the narrative and might be more implicit in the setting doesn't meant that themes such as capitalism and its effects, environmentalism, transhumanism, or even education aren't given a very interesting treatment in lots of good examples of the genre.
Much of the best science fiction is about exploring the cultural effects of technology and different societies -- and yes, also about reflecting the present in that setting to make a statement or explore our inherent assumptions and biases. But this doesn't mean that the main narrative has to explicitly deal with those topics, it can be much more interesting (and subversive, in a way) to only see their transitive effects.

I mean, I guess you could argue something like The Diamond Age (one of my favourite novels) is post-cyberpunk, but it's clearly influenced heavily by the genre, and if you think that has nothing interesting to say then I really can't help you.

So yes, if some people completely ignore that part to focus on "crazy robot people" then that very much is on them.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I hate it when such a buggy game gets a pass from reviewers because it has insane production values. The same goes for most other AAA games. This and the whole transphobia issues surrounding CDPR and the game have soured me on the game this year. I may not be affected by their transphobia views, but the way they're handling it has been pathetic showing and they've lost all my respect. I'm seriously thinking about refunding it for now and buy it cheap much later. What a turnaround for CDPR, they went from the well-loved studio since The Witcher 3 launch to this. As a huge fan of them, I'm totally devastated.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Cybepunk Eurogamer reviewer in the comments :

ChrisTapsellEG (Staff) 7 hours ago
@Lexkalin It's extremely CPU-heavy on the performance front. I'm on an i5-9400F, it's passable on a mix of medium/high at 1080p, aiming for 30fps, dipping a fair bit below that with high-speed driving and population-dense areas. No expert on this though and CDPR did specifically say this build is "not for benchmarking" because performance is part of the content of the upcoming patch.

So who knows, maybe the day 0 patch will indeed have a positive effect on the framerate.
But the buggy as hell talking point seen everywhere is worrying, too.
Yup.

Tom's Hardware jump the gun it seems.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I hate it when such a buggy game gets a pass from reviewers because it has insane production values. The same goes for most other AAA games. This and the whole transphobia issues surrounding CDPR and the game have soured me on the game this year. I may not be affected by their transphobia views, but the way they're handling it has been pathetic showing and they've lost all my respect. I'm seriously thinking about refunding it for now and buy it cheap much later. What a turnaround for CDPR, they went from the well-loved studio since The Witcher 3 launch to this. As a huge fan of them, I'm totally devastated.
Yeah I'm considering refunding it too. The whole CDPR situation rubs me the wrong way but the game itself also looks like it'll be a buggy mess at launch and I doubt my old ass hardware will be able to run it well. Might refund and preorder Persona 5 Strikers instead and buy CP2077 when a GOTY edition comes out next year and drops in price or something. I don't wanna end up wasting $80CAD.

(also yes I know P5S isnt out until the end of Feb but I dont have a lot of free gamer cash these days and usually when I do its only $20~ so id rather use the $80 I have on a game I actually know ill get my money's worth from. If I spend it CP2077 now and dont have money when P5S eventually does come out i'll have some serious regret. Unemployment is cringe.)

Last edited:

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Yeah I'm considering refunding it too. The whole CDPR situation rubs me the wrong way but the game itself also looks like it'll be a buggy mess at launch and I doubt my old ass hardware will be able to run it well. Might refund and preorder Persona 5 Strikers instead and buy CP2077 when a GOTY edition comes out next year and drops in price or something. I don't wanna end up wasting $80CAD.

(also yes I know P5S isnt out until the end of Feb but I dont have a lot of free gamer cash these days and usually when I do its only $20~ so id rather use the $80 I have on a game I actually know ill get my money's worth from. If I spend it CP2077 now and dont have money when P5S eventually does come out i'll have some serious regret. Unemployment is cringe.)
Buy Hades if you dont own it. Supergiant actually cares about their employees.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yup.

Tom's Hardware jump the gun it seems.
They do bring up the DRM. it could have been closer to the top, but it's not like they try to hide it. It'll get them clicks, so they succeeded.
I'm less interested in performance and more interested in other aspects of the game - like how it handles its subject matter, and how the game mechanics work. At this point, it better release to the public as smooth as freshly cleaned ice. There is no excuse given its dev time and the crippling crunch

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Also:

Cyberpunk 2077 Epileptic PSA - Game Informer

Braindances are something that CDPR has been talking about as a feature for awhile now, and it's an intricate part of the story from start to finish. BD's allow players to interface with memories, often of the deceased, but plugging into a mainframe and diving in. Pretty much everything about this is a trigger and this is something that caused me to have a grand mal seizure when playing to help with our review. This is also a trigger on many levels, starting with the device itself.

When "suiting up" for a BD, especially with Judy, V will be given a headset that is meant to onset the instance. The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes. If not modeled off of the IRL design, it's a very spot-on coincidence, and because of that this is one aspect that I would personally advise you to avoid altogether. When you notice the headset come into play, look away completely or close your eyes. This is a pattern of lights designed to trigger an epileptic episode and it very much did that in my own personal playthrough.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I have pre ordered Cyberpunk but have that many games in my backlog ill probably leave it till I get a 3080 sometime next year

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I'm expecting the vanilla 2013 console Cyberpunk versions to be such a mess. I don't think any reviewers touched those versions too. If a 1060 on PC is only able to do 1080p40fps on medium then yikes.

Those PS4/X1 versions will probably be Skyrim PS3 levels until CDPR puts out several patches lmao. I kind of feel bad too because people were preordering the game on the old consoles for a long time. Last year when I bought Death Stranding for PS4 at gamestop...everyone at the register was begging me to preorder Cyberpunk. Its gonna be such an awful way to experience the game because at least with PC you can tinker settings to achieve 30 or 60. Dropping a few settings in W3 from high to medium/low was the difference between running the game at 70/80 fps vs 120 iirc.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I think I am going to pre-order Cyberpunk on Steam since they said there would be exclusive stuff like avatars and with Steam new system I hope that means animated Steam avatars.

By the way do you still get Steam Points by redeeming Steam gift cards?

Also there was a new Steam update and the DS now works over BT on Steam.

Also CP2077 will have some GOG exclusive content.

When will Marvelous announce SoS PoOT for PC?

• Eyes

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Alright that microsoft point reward thingie, doing the things between the web and on xbox it seems one can get 600ish points per day and a 5€ gift card is only 4600 points, one can rack them up quite quickly!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I did four activities and it only gave 40 measly points. How do I get 600 ish points? :p
You have to do the activities, then you can do searches which give you 3 points per search, I do that on my computer and on my phone, that's 90 + 120 points and then you unlock points on the xbox app and then in the rewards app on xbox.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Don't pretty much all video games have epilepsy warning screens?
Sure, but deliberately copying a sequence of flashes and lights that is designed to trigger a seizure is irresponsible. I'd even say it is righteous stupid.

The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes

Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
As long as they have the epilepsy warning screen, I don't see the problem with epilepsy triggers being in. Why warn otherwise? If as an epileptic you choose to go against warnings because you've found that many games don't actually trigger you the risk is yours to take but it doesn't seem smart nor does it seem like the devs are at fault. I dunno why he stresses the headset fitting over both eyes and such, you're viewing it on a flat screen, you choose the brightness and the lights in the rest of your home environment and everything, they're not forcing you to wear a headset to play the game obviously. And he hasn't even verified if the lights are actually in fact copied from those machines or it's just random flashes they chose that had the same effect, I don't see why they'd research that at all. That would be an interesting tidbit of information but wouldn't really change my opinion of the issue. In that it isn't one. So, sure, let the information get out, in that the game is most certainly likely to trigger epileptics in this and possibly other instances, but beyond that, eh, duh? It seems like it should be expected. Don't do shit against what your doctors advice and common sense if you want to be well is the general rule of thumb for most folks, regardless of conditions.

Last edited:
  • Disapproval
Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I don't see the problem with epilepsy triggers being in.
I do and I'm rather surprised you don't.

Epilepsy warnings are common in games because certain combinations of lights, colors and sounds can trigger a seizure. Still, most developers are careful to not go all in and to avoid certain things in their games. Those warnings are still there to avoid legal responsibility.

That's a huge difference to the approach CDPR is doing here. Instead of avoiding and telling people to be careful because things might still get bad, they are deliberately imitating a known method to trigger a seizure. It is potentially dangerous and therefore irresponsible.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I think I am going to pre-order Cyberpunk on Steam since they said there would be exclusive stuff like avatars and with Steam new system I hope that means animated Steam avatars.
Plus a digital comic

By the way do you still get Steam Points by redeeming Steam gift cards?
Don't think so but I'm not entirely sure.

Also there was a new Steam update and the DS now works over BT on Steam.
Yes, even japanese media is echoing this, good thing to make the platform more appealing to the japanese users.

Also CP2077 will have some GOG exclusive content.
In my honest opinion, I think they will release everything everywhere within a few months as free DLC, so I wouldn't worry.

When will Marvelous announce SoS PoOT for PC?
Not this year, that's for sure. :cat-heart-blob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well I explain why in the rest of my post (I didn't say deliberate triggers after all, just that, as you say, flashing lights can do that). Feel free to disagree.

Also, again, the dude has not verified if they copy that method, all he knows is he got a seizure and the machine kinda looks like those machines. Reaching, atm.

While stressing how it goes over your head and covers your eyes and shit which is a ridiculous thing to stress for something you view on a screen but yeah.

• Toucan
Reactions: ISee

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I can't wait to see console player reaction to Cyberpunk when they played it on PS4/Xbox :evilblob:

2-year exclusivity for Project Athia

Source:

Edit: Exclusivity for console! Don't know when for PC.
By the wording I think it'll come to PC day one and to other consoles 2 years later at minimum.

• Eyes
Reactions: PC-tan and Cacher

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That new of DRM affecting performance is a relief. It did seem a little on the low side for me, so we will see!

As for them getting a pass for bugs, it depends on the outlet. Overall, I feel the problem is being brought up and the marks of many reflect it. I don't think that bugs that are not F76-bad deserve to tank the game's score that heavily, but it is definitively a valid point. It is a product that we pay good money for after all.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Ok, that's a bad take. There's obviously all kinds of stories out there, and some of them certainly lean more on the entertainment side (not that there is anything inherently wrong with that). But just because they are not always the focus of the narrative and might be more implicit in the setting doesn't meant that themes such as capitalism and its effects, environmentalism, transhumanism, or even education aren't given a very interesting treatment in lots of good examples of the genre.
Much of the best science fiction is about exploring the cultural effects of technology and different societies -- and yes, also about reflecting the present in that setting to make a statement or explore our inherent assumptions and biases. But this doesn't mean that the main narrative has to explicitly deal with those topics, it can be much more interesting (and subversive, in a way) to only see their transitive effects.

I mean, I guess you could argue something like The Diamond Age (one of my favourite novels) is post-cyberpunk, but it's clearly influenced heavily by the genre, and if you think that has nothing interesting to say then I really can't help you.

So yes, if some people completely ignore that part to focus on "crazy robot people" then that very much is on them.
I was speaking about the early books that people refer to as "Cyberpunk", so the "Sprawl trilogy",and a few other lesser known novels around the same time. I also learned a lot about the old Cyberpunk (pen and paper) RPGs from stuff like Spoony's Counter Monkey series, back when he still semi-regularly had interesting content.

And I feel my assessment for those books and RPGs, is maybe a bit harsh, but not unfair at al. I certainly can't comment on what people have done with the genre and ideas in the decades after that, I lost interest in following books of that kind after my experiences with those earlier books. And I'm not saying you couldn't make actually interesting stories in those worlds.

I'm just saying a lot of the classic works, those that spawned ideas like "jacking in" to a computer, and cyberspace etc, those aren't really about complex topics at all. It's the flashy, exotic future that interests the writer and supposed to entice the reader as well, anything else is an afterthought.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm just saying a lot of the classic works, those that spawned ideas like "jacking in" to a computer, and cyberspace etc, those aren't really about complex topics at all. It's the flashy, exotic future that interests the writer and supposed to entice the reader as well, anything else is an afterthought.
I see where you are going with this and I think I get what you are saying. At the same time, is there something wrong with that?

As someone who is dipping into writing as well, a lot of it starts with fascination at an image, an idea. "Wouldn't it be cool if?" Then you extrapolate and figure out the implications. I think everything doesn't start off as, or has to be, a deep philosophical essay.

It's fair to say that some works in the Cyberpunk field aren't that, but I'd argue they don't need to be. Still, the most memorable ones for me tend to be at least thought-provoking, often in the norms and daily life that they present like Snow Crash, from which the social commentary tends to flow from naturally.

I'd argue it's a bit of a mistake to see Cyberpunk and to a larger extent sci-fi as genres that exist solely as a vehicle to social commentary or deep philosophical messages, as genres whose purpose and mode of creation would be that. I see them more as people doing what it says on the tin, dreaming and thinking about visions of the future, and pulling on the threads that they come up with to see what they might look like.

Not sure whether this post makes sense, I'm still tired :p.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I see where you are going with this and I think I get what you are saying. At the same time, is there something wrong with that?

As someone who is dipping into writing as well, a lot of it starts with fascination at an image, an idea. "Wouldn't it be cool if?" Then you extrapolate and figure out the implications. I think everything doesn't start off as, or has to be, a deep philosophical essay.

It's fair to say that some works in the Cyberpunk field aren't that, but I'd argue they don't need to be. Still, the most memorable ones for me tend to be at least thought-provoking, often in the norms and daily life that they present like Snow Crash, from which the social commentary tends to flow from naturally.

I'd argue it's a bit of a mistake to see Cyberpunk and to a larger extent sci-fi as genres that exist solely as a vehicle to social commentary or deep philosophical messages, as genres whose purpose and mode of creation would be that. I see them more as people doing what it says on the tin, dreaming and thinking about visions of the future, and pulling on the threads that they come up with to see what they might look like.

Not sure whether this post makes sense, I'm still tired :p.
Oh, no, don't take that as me saying any of those works are bad. I like the first Neuromancer, it's as flashy and cool as the written word can ever hope to be. That first line is iconic:

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

It's up there with 1984's "The clock strikes thirteen" in terms of how effective it is. I'm just saying I don't believe those early works are super deep or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swenhir and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.