Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
After doing a quick observation at GAF and ERA, mainly to see peoples reaction to the CP2077 reviews, Im glad I left the forums, too much drama going on, don't think it's healthy for anyone to be around so much drama and shitspewing everywhere.

Like how calm it is here.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
After doing a quick observation at GAF and ERA, mainly to see peoples reaction to the CP2077 reviews, Im glad I left the forums, too much drama going on, don't think it's healthy for anyone to be around so much drama and shitspewing everywhere.

Yeah, I briefly checked in on the latest drama last night and I'm so glad to be out of that fucking place. I've made a lot of changes this year that improved my mental health so I can't blame it all on ERA but being around that community was making me fucking miserable. As far as I'm concerned, it is every bit as toxic as neogaf or 4chan. Just because their views aren't shitty doesn't mean they're not shitty people.

Not gonna lie, now that I have some distance from it all, it's actually pretty entertaining to watch the place eat itself alive.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Children of Morta is nice!
This is the kind of "rogue-lite" that I can get behind - nice permanent carry-over each run as well as some nice character moments / story stuff ater every run.
I enjoyed it, but ultimately it's not even a rogue-lite, it's just randomly generated levels.
Which is fine, it's a very fun RPG.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I don't think I am going to finish Yakuza Like a Dragon before Cyberpunk so going to be some tough decisions to make this week.
Yeah, I briefly checked in on the latest drama last night and I'm so glad to be out of that fucking place. I've made a lot of changes this year that improved my mental health so I can't blame it all on ERA but being around that community was making me fucking miserable. As far as I'm concerned, it is every bit as toxic as neogaf or 4chan. Just because their views aren't shitty doesn't mean they're not shitty people.

Not gonna lie, now that I have some distance from it all, it's actually pretty entertaining to watch the place eat itself alive.
People on the extreme ends of things (even if they are things you generally agree with) are typically myopic nut jobs that take a scorched earth approach to anyone who doesn't fall in step with them. It's harder to notice when on the surface the things they get vehemently upset about seem generally good or well-intentioned, but at the end of the day they have a lot more in common with how MAGA types approach situations than they are willing to admit.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

yeah era is fucking imploding and baying for blood right now, fucking nuts

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
This is before any patches, to be fair. And it's possible they actually improve the performance over time
These perfs, the never ending drama, and above all a review that said choices do not matter a lot, are seriously making me hesitate.

Reactions: crimsonheadGCN

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018

I always wanted to jump in on GAF where I could shitpost talk about PC games, but it always seemed nasty and heavy handed besides the steam thread, so I didn't (I was a guest!). Then it was the same with ERA, but again the steam thread was kind of an island in the midst of console warring teenagers, so again I never bothered with an account there either. In fact I was about to get an account, but that was when the whole steam=monopoly thing steam=bad thing popped up and everybody wanted to drag that island into console wars. So I thought hell no. I'll be a guest again! Frankly I find ERA worse than pre-meltdown GAF, from an outsiders perspective.

Then I noticed people posting about here, saw that it was low key and sane and console war free, and even when people disagreed or there was controversy that they were respectful and just normal humans. So that did it for me. I mean I think you can count on one hand the number of bans here. (Though I still reserve the right to log out and join the ghosts.)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
These perfs, the never ending drama, and above all a review that said choices do not matter a lot, are seriously making me hesitate.
I think it's too early to judge the game from an RPG standpoint. A lot of reviews are praising the world and story, and this appears to be a Deux Ex-alike on a grander scale above all. I think the hype has to be dissociated from what is simply there. It's okay to take some time, let the whole furor pass and make a choice later.

There's no game that has to be played.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I think it's too early to judge the game from an RPG standpoint. A lot of reviews are praising the world and story, and this appears to be a Deux Ex-alike on a grander scale above all. I think the hype has to be dissociated from what is simply there. It's okay to take some time, let the whole furor pass and make a choice later.

There's no game that has to be played.
Well that’s the thing. I reread the part of the review I cited, it was from Le Monde. Hardly the place I would go to normally, oh and thanks for the spoil, you fucks (It must be super hard to review a game without spoiling it, because between these idiots and RPS, oh baby.,.)
And they clearly say it’s a fascinating world but not a good RPG or immersive sim.

But maybe the best way forward is to make my own opinion. Will depends on the perfs I can realistically get, the bench didamangi linked being maybe perfectible.

• Eyes

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018

Uhm, people are fighting for basic human rights, I'm honestly not sure how you'd classify that as "drama". Feel free to not partake but labeling it as drama is downright insulting.

Reactions: Mivey and ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Uhm, people are fighting for basic human rights, I'm honestly not sure how you'd classify that as "drama".
Drama it being "noone" seems to be able to decide what to do with certain topics like CP2077 threads, what the rules are. Too unclear what the rules are. The staff should have decided wherever or not to ban all CP2077 or not a long time ago. This leads to confusion, bans, people leaving etc.

I don't think there has been any decision what to do with threads for the Harry Potter game either.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have brought this topic in here, I feel it's just gonna derail the thread, don't know why wrote about it here.

Last edited:

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
Drama it being "noone" seems to be able to decide what to do with certain topics like CP2077 threads, what the rules are. Too unclear what the rules are. The staff should have decided wherever or not to ban all CP2077 or not a long time ago. This leads to confusion, bans, people leaving etc.

I don't think there has been any decision what to do with threads for the Harry Potter game either.
Oh yes, I agree with you there. The management is currently imploding and everything is on fire, but I just wouldn't call different views on fundamental human rights as drama. It's a bit reductive in this context considering what's going on.

I don't intend to derail further though.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't intend to derail further though.
Thanks and no worries. :)

And just for the record (in case of any misunderstanding), my view is that trans rights are human rights and should be protected and fought for. Which is a pretty normal view where I live so that is something Im happy for.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
A thing that has been vaguely in my head for some days now about CP. And this is not a defense of their terrible marketing. I wonder if one of the big issue couldn’t be situated in an incompatibility between the genre, a very 80’s version of it, and our modern sensibilities.
One of the trans reviews I think talk about this, about the fact this is a genre with tropes that are not always welcome today, how for example asian corpos are talking like samurai, honor etc.
Is Mike Pondsmith world, even freshened up, only 2020 compatible ?

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
But why no performance scores at High? The RTX 2060 seems SHOULD be able to play 60 fps at high, considering the Medium and Ultra score at 1920x1080
Will depends on the perfs I can realistically get, the bench didamangi linked being maybe perfectible.
Yeah, it's still a preview impressions. and they only post medium or max settings, not in between. I'm sure Digital Foundry, Hardware Unboxed, and every game/tech site under the sun, maybe even nvidia themselves will post a more detailed view of it.

Maybe there's a setting that's the equivalent of the asscreed clouds, you never know.

Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I'm playing at 1080p so I'm hoping to play at high with med RT reflections only. Has Nvidia said if they are going to release more game ready drivers
after 457.51?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
A thing that has been vaguely in my head for some days now about CP. And this is not a defense of their terrible marketing. I wonder if one of the big issue couldn’t be situated in an incompatibility between the genre, a very 80’s version of it, and our modern sensibilities.
One of the trans reviews I think talk about this, about the fact this is a genre with tropes that are not always welcome today, how for example asian corpos are talking like samurai, honor etc.
Good thoughts, might be something in regards to that too.

Noneless, im very curious for the Steam reviews.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
CP 2077 seems to be in a troublesome technical state.
But that is something I could have dealt with, while complaining a lot. :sweaty-blob:

But CDPR still not wanting to address the malignant trans representation in the game is not something that I am willing to ignore. I brushed it off, because I was hyped for the game and because I didn't understand it. And while I certainly still don't fully understand it, I see a couple of big problems with a game that tries to take PR credit for being inclusive, while misrepresenting and insulting the community of people they are trying to profit from.

CDPR had all the time in the world to cut the terrible chrom(oson)manticore stuff out of the game, to address the voice options and to promises a patch that would have made things right etc.

And if you think this in-game poster isn't problematic: Imagine it would have been a different minority group. Let's say a black person in a "sexy" slave leather outfit, in a subordinate, suggestive position with a can of "black master juice" (or another clearly insulting brand name).
And the company behind the game would tell you that it's nothing to worry about, because they think the black person is "sexy" and "beautiful" and meanwhile the character creator is missing dark skin options and their cooperate twitter account made several racist "meme tweets".

And I'm not attacking or blaming people for being hyped or looking forward to the game. We all have been waiting for CP 2077 for an entire console generation, I even ordered a new GPU just because of it (well it didn't arrive anyway...) and I brushed off the complains for a long time. Personally I simply didn't want to see the problems.

But if you haven't already: I'm asking you to take a leap of faith and to visit the "CDPR is a transphobic company" thread on the other side and to read the lengthy, but well written first post. No need to read anything else or to reply. Even if you decide to play the game, understanding the problem is important imo.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This is common in a lot of classic cyberpunk stuff, from the William Gibson novels onward. A lot of superficial elements of other cultures, Japanese especially, crammed in, without any real understanding of those cultures, and with very little meaningful stuff to say. There's this meme about cyberpunk genre:

It accuses fans of the genre to be vapid, and ignoring some "deeper" themes. But the truth of the matter is, that person saying "Wow!! Cool Future!!", that's not the fans or readers of Cyberpunk. That person is also the writers. Yeah, there's maybe some deeper ideas there, implicitly in the background, but the stories never focus on it. It's just about crazy robot people, AIs doing evil things, and the world generally being various kind of shit. There's no clearly directed criticism, no idealism, nothing.
There's a reason this just died out in the 80s, and is being rediscovered today. It's because it wasn't some productive movement that had something to say. It's was just a fad. And we in 21st century are running out of new ideas, so we are regurgitating old stuff from the 80s.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
2-year exclusivity for Project Athia

Source:

Edit: Exclusivity for console! Don't know when for PC.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
A lot of superficial elements of other cultures, Japanese especially, crammed in, without any real understanding of those cultures, and with very little meaningful stuff to say.
IIRC, the whole Japanese/Chinese thing originates from Blade Runner and was basically just meant to be this small dystopic world-building detail. Like, Deckard eating noodles in the street with chop sticks was supposed to be shocking because back then I guess people were worried about those countries becoming bigger powers.

Not sure where I read that, though, so I could be wrong or misremembering.

Reactions: Mivey and lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
still coming to PC on day one, i believe ... unless it goes to egs (which it probably will, lol)
Ouch! I just woke up from bed. Seems like my brain hasn't switched on yet 🤣

Yeah, I agree with you. Looks like a day-1 release on PC.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
IIRC, the whole Japanese/Chinese thing originates from Blade Runner and was basically just meant to be this small dystopic world-building detail. Like, Deckard eating noodles in the street with chop sticks was supposed to be shocking because back then I guess people were worried about those countries becoming bigger powers.

Not sure where I read that, though, so I could be wrong or misremembering.
No, that's it. Before the 90s, Japan was an absolute economic superpower, and growing like mad. People were mad afraid of that future, or fascinated by it.

still coming to PC on day one, i believe ... unless it goes to egs (which it probably will, lol)
It's Square. They might release it on PC a year later out of habit.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Wonder when it will even come out, 2023 earliest or maybe one of those games we look back on in 7-8 years as a title that disappeared - Watchmojo 10 games that never released.

• Toucan

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Twitches whole blind thing was just them trying to get brownie points for doing something half assed instead of trying to get more accessibility to people who have vision problems etc and all that comes from it is now the internet is making fun of blind people

• This!
Status
Not open for further replies.