Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Nice. So if I understand right, if you want to buy star citizen the minimum price is 54 dollars ?
Sorry for the spam but I actually found a video of a crazy bug that really illustrates what I mean by "brain-melting bugs".

The bug.

The thing happening there is actually both amazing and trippy. Each ship that is more than a single-seater has its own physics grid inside which positions are computed in a local way, relative to that ship's physics grid. What happened here is that the player is inside a tram, moving on a spline relative to the planet, and a player has found a way to put a ship, with its own physics-grid, in the way.

The result is that tram's own physics grid and position is suddenly relocated, relative to that ship instead of the planet's center. Therefore, hello, and welcome to orbit. Didn't pack a helmet? Too bad. Why was he fine inside the tram? Because it did have an atmosphere and for the time being, while they do have depressurization in - even of the catastrophic, slam-into-wall type - they don't have life support properly working for ships yet, thus every atmosphere container is marked as immutable, meaning they can't ever get empty and have infinite supply of gasses.

So yeah.

It's both amazing, a testament to the dynamic nature of the game, and a terrifying illustration of the complexity at hand in building a game of that scope. Stuff like that is why I don't recommend anyone buys SC if they don't really get what they are going to be experiencing for years.

Edit : Oh, yeah I had forgotten about the other part too haha. That one I'm not sure what happened, but basically the bed exit animation was the wrong one, meaning clipping through the wall and once outside of it, nothing to hold him back until he fell through the planet's kill plane. That one's a little more normal. I'm not sure with what's going with the rain of NPCs though.

If that comment didn't sound disturbing enough to illustrate why playing an Alpha is a test of sanity and will, I don't know what else to say :p.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Oh fuck that reminds me. I finished Tetris Effect Connected today. Well, the short campaign. Uh, yes the last level in easy :sweaty-blob:
But I digress, I watch the credits, all chillax, and what do I see ?
Thanks to Peter Thoman
My man Durante, he is everywhere.
Heh, I almost forgot about that. My Tetris Effect consulting was a really long time ago, primarily regarding the VR implementation. On a Steam build.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I don't like to say it, but EGS freebies are also a factor here for many people.
We have more games than ever before and more services and ways to get games for cheap than ever before. I'm not sure this is sustainable tbh.
EGS seems kind of harmless overall. If someone on earth didn't have a copy of Meat Boy, well now they do. It actually might be an ok way of catching up with PC gaming if you missed the last decade or so. Well gosh, Tim's not such a bad guy.

I'm trying to be charitable. It's the holidays.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Speaking of EGS, yesteday I promised some data (that you might find interesting or not) about the EGS and the 2019/2020 comparison data so here you have it :cat-heart-blob:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
OK, lemme try this again: Winter Seal wishlist-
Battletoads
Hayseed Knight
Roki
Zniw adventures
80's overdrive
Read Dead Online
Khimera picross
Psikyo shooters
Zero Gunner 2
Falcon Age
Beyond a Steel Sky
SF4 outfit dlcs
Grounded
Fighting Fantasy collection
Miss Fortune
Jenny LeClue
Dark Crystal

Actually which of these 2 are continuing in a 2nd chapter? Miss Fortune or Jenny LeClue?

That's a formative list atm @_@
I'm still mostly working through the last couple of Choices and my autumn/halloween/black friday purchases and am still playing a little bit of Genshin every day (and the next big content update will be soon) so I'm not really planning to get much.
I would love to get some Atelier if there is a decent deal, but my hopes aren't really high. And am interested in Dusk Diver,
Other than that, I'll have to see the deals to decide.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Man the game awards looking even more unattractive now. Who's next, Meryl Streep? (nothing agains Ms. Streep but these people have nothing to do with the industry)
It's pretty funny how badly the gaming industry wants to be respected like movies and TV, yet their big awards gala is nothing more than a reason to show new commercials. I know Geoff has got to pay the bills, but the entire thing feels tacky.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Man the game awards looking even more unattractive now. Who's next, Meryl Streep? (nothing agains Ms. Streep but these people have nothing to do with the industry)
I preferred the Steam Awards. Not because it was Valve's, but because it felt a little more in touch with what people play. I've never seen more indie, smaller games than when people linked their lists here. It was really wholesome.

This feels like an industry event where friends award other friends, to put it optimistically.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Yes, please, dex3108 I know you haven't been here for a long time but we are trying to get both communities as separated and trying to avoid the trend of this forum being a "it's for the rejected users of ERA" so please, try not to talk about other's place drama, let's try using this place for our own stuff and discussion :cat-heart-blob:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I wasn't there for a long time but it can\t be worse than posting on reddit XD I don't know if i saw normal community there like ever XD
Guess it depends on the subreddit. To me „I am posting on reddit“ has different ring to it depending on if the subreddit in question would be „the donald“ or something with headphones or mechanical keyboards.

Given the clientiele gaf now hosts it firmly falls in the category of „the donald“

I don't judge if someone posts on fishy sites, depends on the why and how. I'm all for people going into bad places and try be a counter culture there.
I do judge. There is a point when people need to stop and ask: Why does this person feel the need to post on a site full of fascists and nazis? Doesn’t matter if it is some altright subreddit, rpgcodex or now gaf. Especially if it is a Youtube personality that is for whatever reason feels the need to push their brand there with seemingly no intention to make it a better place.
And as a different platformholder you also have to ask yourself: Do I want to give a person a platform that has no problems cozying up to fascists and nazis?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I recommend everyone to put What The Golf on their wishlist.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Must resist...cannot watch.

I've been tempted to read reviews and watch impressions but can't break now lol. Less than 2 days now before gonna play :)

The 2 things I really want to know is how good the soundtrack is and how good the M/KB controls are. I'm assuming the soundtrack is amazing so its really just M/KB that I want to know. It is a first person game and CDPR is a PC dev so I hope they are good. I really don't want to play with a gamepad.

Reactions: Swenhir

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So many people around the net expecting TLOU 2 to win GOTY at the TGA, watch it be Hades instead.

Still, played both and I found both to be amazing, so I have no "stake" in the goty race.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
All the media talk about Cyberpunk feels like it is validiating my choice to wait on the game.

Also I think more people need to discuss that maybe this game is an immersive sim a la Deus Ex? It might not be balanced very well yet, but hey that's what patches are for.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
In my mind i was always hoping it would turn out more like Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines with a bit of Bladerunner mood to it. We'll soon find out.
I'm looking forward to playing it in 20 minute chunks in between BSOD from my flaky mobo.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
All the media talk about Cyberpunk feels like it is validiating my choice to wait on the game.

Also I think more people need to discuss that maybe this game is an immersive sim a la Deus Ex? It might not be balanced very well yet, but hey that's what patches are for.
I'm not sure why people expect it to be an immersive sim? I'm sure it will share a lot of DNA with the Witcher, where the actual mechanics are fairly limited, and most quests limit you to basically a choice between two options in the end. Maybe they'll expand it to three or four options, but I am not convinced they'll go full Deus Ex. I'd be really delighted to be wrong about this, but I'm a bit sceptical that just because it looks like a Deus Ex game, that it should actually play like one either.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I'd be really delighted to be wrong about this, but I'm a bit sceptical that just because it looks like a Deus Ex game, that it should actually play like one either.
I have seen it described as an "immersive sim".

For instance, if I Ctrl+F "immersive sim" in this French article behind a paywall (twice the hurdles to get to the content), I get 3 occurrences.

The genre is "immersive sim":

Then here are quick and (very) dirty Google translations of the two other paragraphs:

[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]This is perhaps CD Projekt's greatest tour de force with this game: the city, in its construction, is unlike any other open world. At the time of the announcements, there had been some concerns about the size of the map, smaller than that of The Witcher 3. The studio was quick to respond that everything was fine, since the map, although smaller, is also more vertical and denser. In reality, this size does not matter. To imagine what the Night City map looks like, you don't have to think of GTA V, Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs, but of Deus Ex or Dishonored. The whole city can be explored like an immersive sim, the size of GTA IV, with its secret passages, its doors that only open with the right skill, its platforms, its elevators that overlook rooftops that lead to footbridges that open onto ladders that lead into sewers that allow you to exit into other buildings, always with something to find, and the desire to get lost endlessly.[/UWSL]

[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]Honestly, maybe it's because I'm all about the Yakuza right now, but it's a little disappointing: where's the mahjong, where are the minigames, where's the small car track? That said, the immersive sim dimension and the fact that the city is, once again, a labyrinth of a thousand exits, brings something more compared to other games of the genre. With the skills of hacking, one can go through the cameras to mark enemies, then take control of a turret or hack the implants of an overly tough opponent. You can do everything in infiltration and jump from roof to roof until you reach the target, or find a path bypassed by the sewers. You may have invested in implants and used a weapon that shoots through walls or over cutlery to clean up. In short, if the content is what we have already seen and reviewed, the container, for its part, would not have the feeling of doing the same thing all the time.[/UWSL]

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I'm sure Cyberpunk will be great after a year of patches and expansions, but right now it seems like playing at launch is just paying to be a beta tester.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I feel like immersive sim and open-world RPG are close enough that trying to draw any kind of distinction between the two is really splitting hairs.

I'm a huge Deus Ex fan and I fully expect Cyberpunk to scratch that same itch.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I have seen it described as an "immersive sim".

For instance, if I Ctrl+F "immersive sim" in this French article behind a paywall (twice the hurdles to get to the content), I get 3 occurrences.

The genre is "immersive sim":

Then here are quick and dirty Google translations of the two other paragraphs:

[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]This is perhaps CD Projekt's greatest tour de force with this game: the city, in its construction, is unlike any other open world. At the time of the announcements, there had been some concerns about the size of the card, smaller than that of The Witcher 3. The studio was quick to respond that everything was fine, since the card, although smaller, is also more vertical and denser. In reality, this big story makes no sense. To imagine what the Night City map looks like, you don't have to think of GTA V, Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs, but of Deus Ex or Dishonored. The whole city can be explored like an immersive sim, the size of GTA IV, with its secret passages, its doors that only open with the right skill, its platforms, its elevators that overlook rooftops that lead to footbridges that open onto ladders that lead into sewers that allow you to exit into other buildings, always with something to find, and the desire to get lost endlessly.[/UWSL]

[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]Honestly, maybe it's because I'm all about the Yakuza right now, but it's a little disappointing: where's the mahjong, where are the minigames, where's the small car track? That said, the immersive sim dimension and the fact that the city is, once again, a labyrinth of a thousand exits, brings something more compared to other games of the genre. With the skills of hacking, one can go through the cameras to mark enemies, then take control of a turret or hack the implants of an overly tough opponent. You can do everything in infiltration and jump from roof to roof until you reach the target, or find a path bypassed by the sewers. You may have invested in implants and used a weapon that shoots through walls or over cutlery to clean up. In short, if the content is what we have already seen and reviewed, the container, for its part, would not have the feeling of doing the same thing all the time.[/UWSL]
That last one does sound a lot like an immersive sim, yeah.

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
Please take Amazon away from me. I'm now buying random stuff without peer pressure from Xclash :ripblob:

I just picked up an inexpensive drawing tablet. It's always been something I've wanted to mess around with, and now the prices are in the stupid range.
I hope everyone in this thread sees that I’m not a bad influence and this is all Nabs own doing.

On Cyberpunk, I think I’m gonna do mostly main story and any side quests that interested me. I would put even more time in it but I started Persona 5 Royal and the game got me hooked like OG P5 so I like to get back to that ASAP.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
The stuff about cameras and having the option to Stealth through (some) encounters and that sort of thing is what set off my immersive sim alarm bells.

Though I agree with all opinions saying to wait and see. Recall that W3 and W2 at least underwent many massive changes after release that made them into what they are now.

Reactions: lashman

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I know I'm a little late on this topic but I would like to take an opportunity to weigh in on the 'blind playthrough' removal and the word 'blind' in general surrounding Twitch. Given my recent charity stream on there and my username I figure some might have been a little curious.

I suspect that many are right that it's simply a matter of Twitch and by extension Amazon covering themselves. Should Twitch do more to support those that are visually impaired and in a non-slapdash way? Of course they should. Will they? Probably not, sadly, but at the same time even if it's only a handful of streamers or viewers that are legitimately upset or concerned about the term 'blind playthrough' then we should take the time to listen and offer support if possible.

My username was never meant to share any relation to sight and while I do have poor eyesight I'm nowhere near the medical definition of blindness. I know most folks here know that. And I am aware that the word has several meanings and that it's not meant to be offensive in most circumstances. For me it was to do with being unaware or oblivious.

To give a little background, it's something that I've been doing since I was a teenager when I played sports. There's times where I just get into a zone and shut out everything around me and just kind of let instincts take over. Some folks from the co-op thread have probably seen some of that firsthand when we play. So while my name does have a story and some sentimentality attached it's also one that I can easily use any synonyms for to get the same point across if I choose to.

So while I understand that I don't need to and ultimately it's probably not a big deal for many, I'm going to be changing my username as a show of support. It's a very small gesture at best, I know, but I like to help when and where I can even if it might only be a handful of people. I will also be donating to the Helen Keller Foundation. Also I want to be clear that I don't feel pressured to do any of this in the slightest. It's just me being me. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.