Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Attempting to make two essentially different versions of a game of this scale would have been a far worse mismanagement decision than anything they did.

Ultimately, they had three "realistic" options:
  1. What they did (release a shitty version on last gen consoles).
  2. Cancel the last-gen versions. (Costing them a ton of money, but likely the best option quality-wise)
  3. Scale down every version severely to make it work better on last-gen consoles. (And this would have required them to scale content which isn't easily put in an options menu, reducing the quality of the game on every platform)
Personally, I'm just happy they didn't opt for option 3. The second would be best but you probably can't explain that to investors. In going with option 1, they should have made real gameplay impressions of those versions available much earlier, so that people can make an informed decision of whether to buy into that.
Glad someone giving the realistic picture. My judgement on CDPR aside, they were stuck between rock and a hard place.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The problem with the steam news thing, or more a problem with my library, is that it's mostly news about bundle trash games I don't care about. Sure one can hide updates from the games you want, but too much effort to even begin.

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, just posting a weeklong deal that might/might not be of interest.

Which JWE dlc are worth getting ?

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Does anyone actually use Steam's News tab?
Ive been using the now stable Steam news hubs for weeks or maybe more until a few days they changed the way you could see whether a game was F2P or not from your news hub just by hovering over its name. That's a step backwards in the direction they finally took in my honest opinion. It made the task to filter games easier.

Which JWE dlc are worth getting ?
Dr Wu and Claire DLC. (for new maps, mission, along with new dinosaurs etc).

That's the info I gathered on the steam community discussion forum. The rest are small DLC which add just more Dinos.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
The Evil Within is hitting that right amount of "scariness/apprehension" where I'm constantly uneasy but don't need to stop a session after just 5 minutes :grimacing-face:

Also, I totally want to now where the hell the story is going. This is my kind of anime weirdness.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Speaking of future games, I hope that they change back the gathering system in Ryza 2.
I mean, I understand that they want to add some novelty to it, but in practice it only makes it more complicated.
You still have to press one button, so mechanically it doesn't change, but you have to remember which tool to use on the same gathering spot to get the specific material you're looking for

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Do you mean the "what is new" tab?

that is a godsend in my eyes. I get up to date content news from games that I own.
I had to switch to small mode to never see what's new again. It sucks but what's new is worse.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I've never seen the news tab. Could be useful. Wait, does this include everything I have and everything on the wishlist? That's gonna be too much news. That's like 3500 games or more. I might be doing this wrong.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I've never seen the news tab. Could be useful. Wait, does this include everything I have and everything on the wishlist? That's gonna be too much news. That's like 3500 games or more. I might be doing this wrong.

I have nearly 600 games and it never felt overbearing, there are even days where nothing new pops up. I would say 5 to 10 news in a week.
This is all I see from the last 2 weeks (can't go further)

Main page

Page 2

Page 3

I didn't even ban many games from the list, couldn't be more than a dozen

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'd use it more if they put a top-level button for it next to store, library, community, etc. It's strange that they don't have a more direct link to it given how prominent updates have become. I click through the what's new section in the library more often than going to the news page itself.

Reactions: lashman

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I have nearly 600 games and it never felt overbearing, there are even days where nothing new pops up. I would say 5 to 10 news in a week.
This is all I see from the last 2 weeks (can't go further)

I didn't even ban many games from the list, couldn't be more than a dozen
Ok I see how this works now. This might actually be useful. Mine looks different from yours for some reason, yours is more compact, but maybe its because I'm using the linux client. I had to cut a lot of stuff in filters (like all wishlist except stuff I "follow") but now I'm getting a couple per day as a scroll down. Thanks.

I had kind of vaguely wanted something along these lines to follow developers without having to use twitter. This might do the job.

Reactions: Kyougar

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Interesting that he branches out like from time to time. I wonder how actually involved he is in the day-to-day
Once upon a time I worked two jobs too. It's hard, but you do what you've got to do. Sure, it wasn't movie acting and being a producer at a game company and also starring in the game, but still Vin Diesel and I, we're cut from the same cloth.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Poor CDPR devs, crunching at least till February just to make the fucking thing work, and then work for DLC, multiplayer or whatever they're planning.
I mean, leave the actual devs out of it, they're being crunched to death already.
Everything that's wrong with CyberpunkAAA games can be easily tracked back to management and by extension, capitalism.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Diesel is reportedly a long-time Ark player, having logged thousands of hours in the dinosaur survival game.
Diesel is already hard at work reporting bugs in Ark.
I cannot believe it is true. I would like to read one of his bug reports. "Fix the damn game. -- VD" :lul:

Vin Diesel has joined Studio Wildcard as an executive producer on Ark 2, and is also serving as an executive producer on the Ark animated series coming in 2022. This dual role could explain his new title: Diesel is now Studio Wildcard's "President of Creative Convergence."
:question: :wtf:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Once upon a time I worked two jobs too. It's hard, but you do what you've got to do. Sure, it wasn't movie acting and being a producer at a game company and also starring in the game, but still Vin Diesel and I, we're cut from the same cloth.
I'm not saying he's putting in crunch hours on the lighting model or deserves a medal for it, yeesh. I just find it curious that he gets this involved in the games he appears in.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I still don't understand why Capcom isn't working with Nvidia to get RayTracing stuff ported to PC. I'm sure Nvidia would help them a lot, they need more games to support it. I could see Nvidia even actively helping with the porting of those effects, plus provide them extra PR for it.
and it sold best on PC too (i believe) ... so yeah, wtf Capcpom?!

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I don't know where should I put this. Sakura Wars' mobile gacha, Sakura Kakumei, is releasing today! I am so fucking hyped now.

Please be good. I want to give money to SEGA. :coffee-blob:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
With the new store tabs, how do you access your "Followed Games & Software"?

It was just one click away from the front page before. It's now gone. :pensive-face:

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
sure would be nice if Microsoft and EA would release an explainer of how exactly EA Play on Xbox Game Pass works on PC, given that it's supposed to launch tomorrow

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
On sort of a unrelated note of the whole "If developers are crunching on everything, just hire more people to spread out the load of work"

In the long run that would work out fine if the company has the money for it but every time we hired a new person at the company I worked for it took at least a month for someone to actually be remotely useful in doing anything beyond just fiddling around with shit for technical stuff on top of having a bunch of other peoples time taken up baby sitting them to get them up to speed
So in the short term you lose a ton of productivity on unknown amounts of future productivity who might just end up being useless anyways, at least with my former co-workers

I know that's how my up and ups viewed stuff but we were a smaller company so we couldn't really get huge hires anyways

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
To be fair to Vin Diesel, didn't he have his own game company before? He seems to be into video games. Can't think of any other movie actor that has been in as many as he has, meaning voice and model and all.
Yeah, he was an avid WoW player too.

Wasn't this the game where the devs ran away with the money?
The project was picked up by another publisher who funded it further to the current state.

Status
Not open for further replies.