Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
To be fair, CP 2077 is in a much worse state on consoles than Witcher 3 at launch.
I can't really judge that having played neither of them, but the consoles were pretty new when Witcher 3 came out compared to now.

I did play both at launch on PC, and at least in my experience they are very comparable (over the first ~30 hours or so right now). Both in terms of bugs (I've only run into relatively minor stuff in either one of them) and in terms of performance relative to the visuals on display.

Reactions: QFNS

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I can't really judge that having played neither of them, but the consoles were pretty new when Witcher 3 came out compared to now.

I did play both at launch on PC, and at least in my experience they are very comparable (over the first ~30 hours or so right now). Both in terms of bugs (I've only run into relatively minor stuff in either one of them) and in terms of performance relative to the visuals on display.
Maybe my memory is misleading me but I can't remember having any issues with W3 at launch or remember big graphical glitches (on PC), which is not the case with CP 2077.
That said, my experience with CP 2077 isn't as "dramatic" as some videos show. But even in my game V is often T posing in vehicles, lips aren't moving while NPCs speak, Physics are sometimes "funny", I had to restart a quest because a NPC I was supposed to rescue entered the only door leading out of his room and wouldn't move, blocking me.
Fortunately nothing was game breaking so far, but the game is less polished on PC than Witcher 3 was. It is also bigger, more complex and more ambitious.

Performance wise, for what it is doing on PC: It's fine imo. Especially when comparing it to Watch Dogs Legion.

On PS4, the big issue is performance. It's not in a state that is considered to be playable in this day and age. I played games sub 20 fps in the past, like Wing Commander 3, Doom, Quake. But I do not want to do that anymore and I understand people not happy with that version of the game. Expectations and standards changed and that's good.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Unless I'm misremembering, Devotion was also pulled from Steam by Valve. Or was it the developer's decision?
The developers pulled it themselves and deleted all videos of it from their youtube channel.

Due to technical issues that cause unexpected crashes and among other reasons, we are pulling <Devotion> off from steam store to have another complete QA check. At the same time we'd like to take this opportunity to ease the heightened pressure in our community resulted from our previous Art Material Incident, our team would also review our game material once again making sure no other unintended materials was inserted in. Hopefully this would help all audience to focus on the game itself again upon its return.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The developers pulled it themselves and deleted all videos of it from their youtube channel.
So could they, in theory, self-publish on Steam? What obstacle is in the way? Why was GoG an option, as a tiny platform compared to Steam?

I just don't get it, this is really weird.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
So, it's like when i play Minecraft then? :D

Was it the PS3 that had that fireworks app/screensaver/background thingy that everyone loved?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tizoc

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So could they, in theory, self-publish on Steam? What obstacle is in the way? Why was GoG an option, as a tiny platform compared to Steam?

I just don't get it, this is really weird.
Chinese users threatening them is a big obstacle. GOG's presence in China is tiny.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Chinese users threatening them is a big obstacle. GOG's presence in China is tiny.
I understand that, and GoG was shameful for keeling. That being said, what prevents them from self-publishing on Steam?

Again, I don't get it. If they were willing to go through the process and pain with GoG, why not with Steam, which arguably is much larger and would have a lesser change of keeling to China's 50 cent army and financial pressure.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I understand that, and GoG was shameful for keeling. That being said, what prevents them from self-publishing on Steam?

Again, I don't get it. If they were willing to go through the process and pain with GoG, why not with Steam, which arguably is much larger and would have a lesser change of keeling to China's 50 cent army and financial pressure.
Like I said, They're not worried about the distributor, they're worried about the audience. They put that game back up on steam and they'll get hit with death threats, DDOS attempts, review bombs, and constant harassment from chinese nationalist crybabies. The devs themselves are also in Taiwan, and the last thing they want is to be clapped by the CCP like their publisher was.

GOG is a small platform, with no real chinese audience. There they can make the game available again with less worry of being attacked by chinese users because GOG doesnt really have any chinese users.

They cant even release it on Steam with a region lock on China because they can (and will) just VPN it like they do to access the Steam Community (which is banned in China)
Regarding this news, Death Stranding got Denuvo removed,

I'm starting to think that Denuvo DRM removal might have been part of the deal between CD-Project and Kojima and/or 505 Games.
I suppose this mean a potential Death Stranding release on GoG.
I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. 505 has quite a few releases on GOG.

Reactions: LEANIJA

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
After an exceedingly brief absence, the DLC sub-menu is back and not as huge anymore! Phew.

I wouldn't mind if they put a more direct path to it via the 'manage' context menu, but this is better already.

Also, I wonder when (or if) they'll change the the trimming around the library. It seems like Valve has been stripping out the old bits of UI one by one, but the part at the top and bottom of the client as well as the settings and downloads windows are some of the last parts of the 'old' client.

Last edited:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Cyberpunk definitely is worse than The Witcher 3 at launch.

I think the problem is that game only simulates what's in view of camera, so when camera moves it causes massive drops.
(or maybe they just do something funny with mouse)

Without RTX and without moving mouse it can keep perfect 60fps. But if you start moving mouse, you also start getting dips to 20fps.

TBH, maybe my expectations with 1 year old very high end pc is more than 4 year old lowmid-end pc.

Ascension level has been brought back to Crysis Remastered

Thx for beta testers. Can't wait for final release next year.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Like I said, They're not worried about the distributor, they're worried about the audience. They put that game back up on steam and they'll get hit with death threats, DDOS attempts, review bombs, and constant harassment from chinese nationalist crybabies. The devs themselves are also in Taiwan, and the last thing they want is to be clapped by the CCP like their publisher was.

GOG is a small platform, with no real chinese audience. There they can make the game available again with less worry of being attacked by chinese users because GOG doesnt really have any chinese users.

They cant even release it on Steam with a region lock on China because they can (and will) just VPN it like they do to access the Steam Community (which is banned in China)
Basically, abusive "users" prevent them from publishing a politically loaded game against a tyrannical regime. I still think this was deeply wrong of GoG but damn if the Chinese astroturfers, paid and otherwise, aren't a goddamn problem.

This just reeks, why on earth aren't they able to be protected from all these? Review bombs, I wouldn't be too concerned about because the audience would know full well what they are getting into in the first place, and Steam also has algorithms in place against those I believe, invalidating reviews that offer fallacious reasons. But death threats, DDOS, things of that nature... What the hell can be done given their current location?

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
To be fair, CP 2077 is in a much worse state on consoles than Witcher 3 at launch.
Fair point, but bad launches dont usually unleash this kind of continual backlash. Bethesda dont get investor talk (prior to MS, obviously) when the newest fallout or elder scrolls comes out in laughable shape.

And the gog thing is not unusual and definitely not worthy of the pushback. When they kill the store again or use anti lgbtq PR, then we'll talk.

Maybe im just "reaching old man yells at clouds" stage for gaming discussions i unno.

• Eyes
Reactions: ISee and Tomasety
Dec 5, 2018
Fair point, but bad launches dont usually unleash this kind of continual backlash. Bethesda dont get investor talk (prior to MS, obviously) when the newest fallout or elder scrolls comes out in laughable shape.

Maybe im "reaching old man yells at clouds" stage for gaming discussions i unno.
To be fair, the internet discourse has gotten worse than when those games lauched.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
Status
Not open for further replies.