Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Very pleasant surprise that I can't say I saw coming at all

• A paid downloadable content expansion with new narrative content will also be available in Summer 2021 for the PlayStation 5 and PC versions of the game.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh God, I got caught off guard by this part of a steam review of Calico. I got a good laugh out of it.

'- at a loss why other reviews are like 'omg i can pet cat'. when I pet the animals it looks like the PC is attempting to decapitate them. This really bummed me out in the first 10 mins of playtime, happy finding a little black cat (Char) and suddenly my PC's hand is karate chopping the throat. Yikes.
what's up with the jiggling or wiggling or whatever it is? I've never encountered an animal that enjoyed being violently shook up and down, weirdly enough!
other reviews have mentioned the glitches with the animals as really cute but I can't say I dig the arms and heads disappearing.
every interaction with them looks and feels super violent. It REALLY isn't enjoyable or nice to watch/experience.'

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Catching up on some of these acquisitions from the past week and wow @ EA buying the Dirt Rally devs for 1.2 billion. And Tencent buying Warframe/SplashDamage devs for 1.5 billion..???

That Microsoft/Bethesda deal must have raised the salary cap across the board wtf.

Curious to know how much profit racing games even make nowadays and how many games they would need to release to make that money back. And its EA too..that could all end with a thud.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
No need to buy CP now before patches anyway, not with their 'refund' policy.

On regards to Devotion issue, I'm also pretty sure there were significant lashbacks from Chinese gamers - no way there wouldn't have been one considering the amount of user pressure that had been on Steam. Unfortunately I'm not sure how any company can resist the allure of Chinese market.

Reactions: Tomasety

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
At this point they should try itch.io since no one is able to keep it on their store. I wonder how long their previous publisher can hold the rights to the release on steam until they can try again and self publish?
Is that even the situation they're in?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
At this point they should try itch.io since no one is able to keep it on their store. I wonder how long their previous publisher can hold the rights to the release on steam until they can try again and self publish?
Is that even the situation they're in?
that is a very good question .... that no one (besides the devs, and the publisher) knows the answer to :negative-blob:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Supposedly Spencer Hayes. the itch.io guy, tweeted in support of the game, but later deleted the tweet, which might mean Itch.io decided to not take risk either.
Was that today or back around when it was pulled from Steam?

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Supposedly Spencer Hayes. the itch.io guy, tweeted in support of the game, but later deleted the tweet, which might mean Itch.io decided to not take risk either.
Would any store front release it?
Steam has built/building their own storefront just for China,
Epic is with Tencent (definitely not happening),
Gog we know and maybe Itcho we know.
The only way it could work is to sell it on their own website.

• Eyes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Why don't the Devotion devs change the content and release it? I don't mean the political commentary but those derogatory racist to the Chinese terms people said it included here and there after the whole thing blew up and people looked into it with more scrutiny beyond the winnie the pooh stuff. At least it would reduce the excuses against it. Regardless anything is preferable to shutting down because they can't sell their game anywhere all this time, especially since much of it is just fluff material that has next to nothing to do with the actual storyline/gameplay and we had no idea since it wasn't translated for us either. Detention is still sold so it's not like they're going after their whole existence when they make those campaigns to complain against the services releasing it.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Would any store front release it?
Steam has built/building their own storefront just for China,
Epic is with Tencent (definitely not happening),
Gog we know and maybe Itcho we know.
The only way it could work is to sell it on their own website.
Sadly, I do not think any store is going to touch it due to how strong the Chinese economy is, and they do not want to upset that market. The original publisher for the game had their business license revoked in China.

Selling it on their own website is probably their only chance, but even then, I wouldn't be surprised if they got DDoSed or something. Also, finding someone to process payments would probably be difficult.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I could understand if itch.io has difficulty in hosting this game; they're hella small.
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
Why don't the Devotion devs change the content and release it? I don't mean the political commentary but those derogatory racist to the Chinese terms people said it included here and there after the whole thing blew up and people looked into it with more scrutiny beyond the winnie the pooh stuff. At least it would reduce the excuses against it. Regardless anything is preferable to shutting down because they can't sell their game anywhere all this time, especially since much of it is just fluff material that has next to nothing to do with the actual storyline/gameplay and we had no idea since it wasn't translated for us either. Detention is still sold so it's not like they're going after their whole existence when they make those campaigns to complain against the services releasing it.
One would assume that they DID do that. I wouldn't expect it to keep the controvrsial stuff in it in a re-release.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I dunno, then presumably some (many fanatics informed about it on social etc.) Chinese complained to gog announcing the release by telling them it's racist against them or whatever, wouldn't gog verify the content and find that it's actually not included in that version of the game, maybe after asking the devs for clarification etc.? Or they were so overwhelmed by the amount of negative messages they didn't even look into it and just said fuck it we aren't releasing it? Additionally, how did they miss the first controversy and not note that the content is altered for their version to mitigate this preemptively (or did they)?

Last edited:
  • Eyes

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I could understand if itch.io has difficulty in hosting this game; they're hella small.
[Hidden content]

One would assume that they DID do that. I wouldn't expect it to keep the controvrsial stuff in it in a re-release.
Looking at this tweet it seems that no, they hadn't removed anything from the game

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Epic could exploit this to get some goodwill by adopting the game and giving them 100% of the proceeds or something as special gesture. But, tencent lulz.
I actually want to see that epic pull this stunt. Think of what damage CCP can do against the gaming industry in China. All the studios can no longer use Unreal Engine and the people will get angry at CCP or maybe Epic for getting the engine banned

• Toucan
Reactions: Ge0force

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, fuck you GoG in this instance.

Just because someone doesn't want someone else to play a game doesn't give them the right to decide that. Even more so when everyone else knows what's up with China.

Edit : though to be clear, that can be levied at every company that has pulled the game down and bowed down to Chinese influence, notably Valve. GoG also are "small guys" in a market sense, and itch.io has no more excuse than them. They all gave in and all deserve flak for it.

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Spent past hour or so soldering back micro USB connector to my nephews toy. Damn those pins are tiny.

Also while i am waiting for my GPU I started another indi puzzle game Youropa. Interesting little game.

Status
Not open for further replies.