Community MetaSteam | December 2023 - Every game you ever wanted on Steam is coming in 2024, promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Thought this was from IconEra. They meltdown anytime Sony mentions PC
What on earth is IconEra?

I’ve found the site but I can’t work out what their niche is (or why they, presumably, broke away from Era).

Edit: looks like some sort of weird convergence of PlayStation fanboys and right wing chuds.

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I don't know if you are joking, and let me prelude this by saying I'm not judging the source material here, but I agree. This is not Nier universal love, this is the cheesecake factor.
No, I'm not joking. Nier is one of my favorite series but there's no denying that this popularity comes from 2B herself, not the game.

Merry Christmas to you all. I really appreciate this community and I hope we'll still be here by the time we're retired.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

I’ve found the site but I can’t work out what their niche is (or why they, presumably, broke away from Era).

Edit: looks like some sort of weird convergence of PlayStation fanboys and right wing chuds.
Wow, learned something new :D

Thought Iconera was just another name for otherforum.
No, the quote is from otherforum.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Merry Christmas good people of MC! It's final week of 2023. Do tell us what are you playing lately!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Nice, entering the afternoon in a good mood. Steam gift payment didn't connect with Paypal.
Purchase is on hold, could take 72 hours, perfect Christmas gift motherfuckers.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
BG3 is so good it's hard to quit the game. I also find it a very complex game with tons of mechanics, so Im sorta in my first playthrough (I guess my second will be once the "definitive edition" is out) just toying around with things. A lot of fails, but some successes too.

Anyways, have a good christmas everyone!

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

The most persecuted people on era, playstation fans lol.

I still laugh about how the nintendo splinter sites got formed because one fan got banned for a single day and they lost their minds over it. Even if they were right about mods being in the wrong...it's a day, it aint that serious. I kicked off era's creation with like a 2 day ban for saying I hope trump dies :ROFLMAO:

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
For Linux users who might be interested, shoutout to

which I recently discovered, after sorting through a dozen of similar scripts I didn't like as much.

Invaluable to run Windows utilities alongside games via Proton, making sure they share the same prefix and environment; for instance, Cheat Engine, installers for mods, etc.

There are a number of similar solutions around, but this one is quite simple and understandable, with only few dozen lines of bash (plus a small C utility which could probably be replaced by 2 lines of pure bash). It should be quite reliable in terms of getting the environment right, since it extracts the data from the command launched by Steam itself.

The script contains an "rm -r", which I never like to see in bash scripts, but I don't see any way for it to fail.

Tested on Elden Ring & Cheat Engine, in combination with mangohud and GitHub - gurrgur/er-patcher: Elden Ring enhancement patches (ultrawide support, custom frame rate limits and more) seamlessly integrated with steam. .

Combining all these commands can be a bit tricky, but this works:

python er-patcher -sr 144 -- protonhax init env MANGOHUD=1 %command%

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

I checked it and recognize a PS superfan from NeoGAF when I was there many years ago, BryanK or something. The user had a meltdown every time any Sony or Playstation employee mentioned PC in any sort of positive capacity.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Just visited that forum to check the level of discourse. It's full of petty squabbles and takes me back to a playground.

I'm so glad I don't visit sites rife of tribalism. Tribalism by itself is pretty bad enough, but the competition over which billion company is bestest makes it even more shallow.

So glad that here even if steam is the preferred platform, reasoned criticism against it is welcome

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The days of using my time on discussion smartphone vs smartphone, PS vs Xbox etc. are long gone and Im mentally healthier for it.

So many hours wasted on discussing which brand or company is better than the other. Im happy I don't care about that any longer.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
For Linux users who might be interested, shoutout to

which I recently discovered, after sorting through a dozen of similar scripts I didn't like as much.

Invaluable to run Windows utilities alongside games via Proton, making sure they share the same prefix and environment; for instance, Cheat Engine, installers for mods, etc.

There are a number of similar solutions around, but this one is quite simple and understandable, with only few dozen lines of bash (plus a small C utility which could probably be replaced by 2 lines of pure bash). It should be quite reliable in terms of getting the environment right, since it extracts the data from the command launched by Steam itself.

The script contains an "rm -r", which I never like to see in bash scripts, but I don't see any way for it to fail.

Tested on Elden Ring & Cheat Engine, in combination with mangohud and GitHub - gurrgur/er-patcher: Elden Ring enhancement patches (ultrawide support, custom frame rate limits and more) seamlessly integrated with steam. .

Combining all these commands can be a bit tricky, but this works:
This protonhax tool sounds great, that will definitely be something I look into if I need CheatEngine when playing on the Deck.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
this method works with CE too

I'm aware of SteamTinkerLaunch, but it's a bit finiky. Having a clean command line tool to just launch whatever I want seems much nicer. I guess one advantage of STL is that it works in game mode, but I wouldn't want to mess with a program like CE using a touch screen anyway, so since I'm on Desktop anyway, having the ability to just use the terminal seems far superior.

Reactions: lashman

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I can't remember the exact saying that was making the round a couple of weeks ago when Sony showed their ass to some obscure movie customers.
It went something like 'digital purchase is not ownership, thus pirating is the moral way to go'.

Not advocating for it, I remembered the message, planned to think more about it, then realized I didn't remember exactly how it went.

edit
Ahhhh, fuck me, it was far simpler.
“If buying isn’t owning, piracy isn’t stealing.”
I'm very pro buying stuff and supporting creators. However if those creators where to throw it back in people faces and withdraw their purchases on any service I would have no objections to anyone finding other ways to acquire that content without giving them another penny.

If they think its fine to steal from their customers then its only fair in return.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope everyone has a good one.

For the Steam sale I got
Key Super Bundle (for Rewrite and Little Busters)
The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass
The Arrogant Kaiju Princess and The Detective Servant
Yakuza 5 and 6
Vampire Survivors Among Us DLC

Judgment Collection on Humble

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Somebody should do a documentary on SC, a proper journalist or news organization.
This is a grift for the ages that needs to be studied, documented, shown to the general public and taught in schools. It's up there with political corruption and financial fraud.
Even if there’s a game at the end of it, investing tens of thousands of dollars into a game and not having an actual stake in it is absolutely 110% a grift.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I support whale hunting as the reason we might get a Squadron 42 (maybe Star Citizen too though I'm not big on multiplayer) way more than whale hunting as the reason we do get mobile gacha #933495 (that shuts down in a year after raking in as much money with individuals spending 10s of thousands or more like there's no tomorrow) which only gets some light criticism or even just plain mention once in a blue moon or when China of all nations tries to regulate that :shrugblob:

Obviously it's not some unknown project that escaped the attention of game "journalists" who made their career on exposes that fell in their lap. There's just nothing to reveal, they're as transparent as can be and all critics pretending they uncover shocking secrets go off numbers readily available on their sites and reports. They're obviously actually employing all the studios they've opened etc., at this point you probably have people that once worked there for years but have since moved on and still no prize dirt has come out beyond Roberts being rich and doing rich people things as he was and did before.

Disclaimer: I bought a ~70 LTI ship with eventual access to Squadron 42 but recently sold my account as indeed it's taking too damn long/might never get done. Still impressed with the latest tech videos and hyped with the Squadron 42 footage though. I regret Kickstarting Wasteland 2 at the boxed tier more :shrugblob:

Last edited:

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
kinda in late but....

More and more I have to add reddit at the end of my google searches to get the info I wanted. Otherwise it's just ai articles everywhere.
never needed to do that to find what I wanted, always managed without issue tbh

who the hell uses google to search since 2016 when they made safe search mandatory?.
I'm fine with that tbh, it's easily sidestepped if I need, my issues with google search come from it suddenly wanting to translate/localize all my search results. I could tell it to just show results in english, but then stuff in my mothertongue is weird.
If I could stop that behaviour I'd go back to google search in an instant.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I'm fine with that tbh, it's easily sidestepped if I need, my issues with google search come from it suddenly wanting to translate/localize all my search results. I could tell it to just show results in english, but then stuff in my mothertongue is weird.
If I could stop that behaviour I'd go back to google search in an instant.
I have the same issue on my tablet. It is synchronized with my Google account and Chrome browser but on my tablet I only get localized results, while I have English results on my desktop.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I have the same issue on my tablet. It is synchronized with my Google account and Chrome browser but on my tablet I only get localized results, while I have English results on my desktop.
I'm using firefox, but you mentioning your account gave me an idea, I logged out of my google account and it's back to behaving how i want, no biggie since I only log into my acc to check my throwaway gmail acc. and for some chatgpt use
Back to using google I guess

Reactions: Kyougar

oipic

Resident Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
Wishing everyone a happy, safe and peaceful Christmas and holiday period - with a special shout-out to those for whom this time of year can be tricky, or a bit of a handful to deal with.

I know I contribute very little here these days, but I lurk always with you lovely people - this is the best, most thoughtful and kind collective one could find anywhere, not to mention the most knowledgeable and insightful, of course. I love you all - take care! :cat-heart-blob:

Status
Not open for further replies.