Community MetaSteam | December 2023 - Every game you ever wanted on Steam is coming in 2024, promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ban Mor !

thekeats1999 As long as they don’t implement a solo mode, Darktide can get fucked for me.
I hear the argument from my favorite French streamer, basically saying in a condescending way that he doesn’t have that much empathy for people for want solo for a multiplayer focused game…
But on the other hand, unless your shit is purely competitive and there is zero meat in the way of secrets etc, playing with randoms will be pain, basically constantly trying to catch up with people laser targeted on the main goal, without exploration or chance to breath a little.
For me it’s stressful and not fulfilling.

I know, I know, play with friends :so-good-blob:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Ban Mor !

thekeats1999 As long as they don’t implement a solo mode, Darktide can get fucked for me.
I hear the argument from my favorite French streamer, basically saying in a condescending way that he doesn’t have that much empathy for people for want solo for a multiplayer focused game…
But on the other hand, unless your shit is purely competitive and there is zero meat in the way of secrets etc, playing with randoms will be pain, basically constantly trying to catch up with people laser targeted on the main goal, without exploration or chance to breath a little.

the thing is, it does have bots for when people drop out of the team. They are fairly competent as well. Sometimes healing better than the randoms I play with. So I am not sure why there isn’t a bot mode at the very least.

now there is a bot mode of sorts but for some bizarre reason you need 2 players For that.

I know your pain. For a long time I didn’t play co op games and still dislike things like RE5 or Deadspace 3 for the enforced co op modes (the games never play the same solo when designed around having co op).

Reactions: Li Kao

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So I've been browsing the Steam store for any missed gems and wound up ignoring more games than actually adding to my cart or wish list. I think I've identified two trends that, while probably leading to more sales for the developer/publisher, instantly mean I'm not spending any more time thinking about your game.

In the uppermost description of the game, it says: [Game Title] is a [insert a litany of genres here].

For example (not an actual game, but an amalgamation of a few):
Glob-shitto is a detail-rich first-person deck-building roguelike action-horror adventure with deep lore, intricate puzzles, and satisfying combat.
Nothing tells me your game is going to suck more than a clinical gameplay description being the first thing I read about your game. Give me something to appeal to my imagination, give me some flavour. Tell me what's going to happen when I play your game. Am I gonna shit my pants? Am I going on a globe-trotting adventure? Will I be entering a dark and mysterious world? I don't give two flying shits about vague gameplay descriptors, especially so when it's tired ones like "open world survival" and "roguelike deckbuilders".

Your game is Twitch streamer/YouTuber bait

Imagine making a game that's literally designed to be played by a streamer. Just imagine being that creatively bankrupt. I have nothing against streamers, but this tuber-bait is going too far. Show some pride in your work - it should exist for the sake of existing, not as part of some streamer pyramid scheme economy where thousands of people are looking to "make it big" by finding that one weird game everyone latches on to, just like [insert streamer] did with [insert game here].

These two above are two that I've probably been subconsciously ignoring games for for a while, but I've just noticed that I'm doing it on top of all the other reasons, like trend-chasing genres (especially ones that lend themselves to procedural generation), ugly pixel art (some pixel art is very nice - but most of it looks hideous) and Unity/Unreal asset store flips.

One more that I've started doing to thin out the wish list is ignoring games that have tons upon tons of expensive DLC. I might as well put Paradox as a publisher on ignore, to be honest.

While Steam is very good at surfacing games to me that I may find appealing, when you run out of those, the amount of trash on the store is sometimes despairing.

Last edited:

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
One more that I've started doing to thin out the wish list is ignoring games that have tons upon tons of expensive DLC.
About this I even pass to claim a game when the base game is free gifted but it has a lot of DLC. I have completionist issue xD, at it looks like drug dealer we give you the base game for free but if you want the full game you have to pay a lot.

Reactions: C-Dub

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Returning home today where my OLED steam deck is waiting for me. Been thinking about the games I'll be playing on it until Persona 3 is out.
I bought the steam version of P4G when it launched but haven't played a lot of it, it was more to support it since I had already played on Vita. Gonna finish it on the Deck.
Might also grab the definitive edition of the walking dead. It's really cheap right now and I never played the last season. Been wanting to start it over and play through the whole thing.
Games I can't wait to play on the Deck but will have to wait for significant price drops are Sonic All-stars and BG3.
There are also some VN's I've been putting off for a long time because I don't have the patience to play them on a desktop.
Midnight Suns is another one. That one is going to be on humble this month, right?
I bounced off Dysco Elysium but maybe playing it on Deck will make it click for me.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

South of the Circle is free on GOG :)

———

I havent really checked many "Our Games of the Year" lists on gaming outlets, but I saw that Eurogamer once again picked a very .... Eurogamer choice. Their "game of the year is .... Cocoon!
Yep, in a year with BG3, RE4, Mario Wonder, Zelda, Armored Core, Hogwarts Legacy (which they pretend doesnt exist, so, probably not surprising), Trine 5, Lies of P, Hifi Rush, and a bajillion other widely acclaimed titles, they chose something they knew would cause people to go "wait what?", but, I suspect, bring them lots of interaction and clicks ... and ad revenue.
It was clear that it pained them last year to give GOTY to Elden Ring, you could feel they wanted to give it to something weird instead (like Unpacking in 2021). Im sure its a nice game and all, but from what Ive seen of it, it looked like an OK indie puzzler.

There was one comment that I think said it all: "Come on now."

Anyway .... if you wanna read up and give them more ad revenue and interactions, here's the list: Here are Eurogamer's favourite games of 2023 and the main article: Cocoon is Eurogamer's game of 2023

Edit: related, here's a Wikipedia list of various GOTY lists List of Game of the Year awards

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Just played through Minoria today. That was great!
In general the gamefeel is just killer - both moving, fighting, dodging and parrying feel incredibly satisfying. I dunno what witchcraft they used to achieve that but I want more games to feel as good as this.

Censored

Oct 8, 2021

"※Nintendo Switch版ではゲーム内システム「感応霊泉」の内容・演出が、一部他プラットフォームとは異なります"

Seems Switch version will get differences from other editions. I suppose the other verions will get censorship.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Completely agree. If games are gonna have noncompetitive and/or co-op multiplayer modes of any kind they need to have offline bot functionality. You can't just not cater to singleplayer gamers.

All the talk of AI this and AI that these days.....but its inexcusable that the great AI from games like Half-Life 2, STALKER and FEAR are nowhere to be found decades later in today's industry. You'd think with AI advancements after so many years devs today would be able to mimic and fully blend multiplayer games with singleplayer bot AI. If you do find it its very minimal in stuff like the Souls games or turn based stuff. Western AAA games seem to be getting worse and worse.

I've been playing through these old Metal Gear games again and its so evident how much more advanced/ambitious video games used to be in this regard. Playing MGS2 on hardest difficulty and seeing enemy AI chase/flank you across several platforms through loading screen after loading screen during alert modes. You forget the little ridiculous shit like that which made you fall in love with video games and nostalgia does hit hard. It feels like so much has been sacrificed these days in favor of graphics, services and other open world dev hell mechanics. And when you do get something unique/interesting from time to time like the Nemesis in Mordor...it gets patented ffs lol.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Just played through Minoria today. That was great!
In general the gamefeel is just killer - both moving, fighting, dodging and parrying feel incredibly satisfying. I dunno what witchcraft they used to achieve that but I want more games to feel as good as this.
Yeah, Minoria was a bit too short for me to enter my very top list of memorable Metroidvanias, but I loved it while it lasted.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I was reading about the incident a couple of weeks ago where people got banned from the PSN at random, and got me thinking about how awful the Sony CS experience is. Basically, people were told to deal with it.

Which isn't a great outlook for the digital future these companies want. Like, imagine building a library since the PS3 days and then it evaporates overnight by no fault of your own.

The only company I sort of trust is Valve with digital libraries, to be honest. People on this very forum have had their accounts compromised and returned to them on a reasonably short time.

That's a lot of words to say that I will never purchase from the PSN again unless the games are like 5 bucks or so.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
61 hours and reached act 3 in BG3. Act 2 was really great, liked it a lot more than act 1.
Huh? That take is so alien to me that I would be no more than mildly surprised to learn you've gotten Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). In real life.

I'm in Act 2 and even though I've been in vacation this week (and dedicated to actually taking a vacation for once), I've in fact preferred rewriting the arguments parser for my personal "do everything" script and adding a few sections to my lecture notes, rather than go back to BG3.

Getting to Act 2 has dropped my enjoyment of the game from "oops, I guess I won't sleep tonight" to "haven't touched it in two weeks; I really should go back to it before I completely forget what's going on and what the 99 pieces of crap equipment I need to manage are, but I'd rather work a little more before".

It's drab, bi-chromatic and depressing. Why on earth and how would anyone enjoy being trapped in places that compare unfavourably to industrial wastelands? :oops:

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I was reading about the incident a couple of weeks ago where people got banned from the PSN at random, and got me thinking about how awful the Sony CS experience is. Basically, people were told to deal with it.

Which isn't a great outlook for the digital future these companies want. Like, imagine building a library since the PS3 days and then it evaporates overnight by no fault of your own.

The only company I sort of trust is Valve with digital libraries, to be honest. People on this very forum have had their accounts compromised and returned to them on a reasonably short time.

That's a lot of words to say that I will never purchase from the PSN again unless the games are like 5 bucks or so.
Sony support is so bad I am surprised that nobody went and dragged them to court for multiple issues. It is baffling that they are that protected as basically close to market leader. It's not that market leade Nintendo is any better.

That is why I am saying that governments should focus on other things than stupid 30% cut and alternative stores. Those for the most part won'tbring that much good for the end customer.

But going after issues of digital ownership and customer support would help end user a lot.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, Minoria was a bit too short for me to enter my very top list of memorable Metroidvanias, but I loved it while it lasted.
Yeah, I get that. It being a short no-nonsense experience is both a blessing and a curse in a way.

Definitely looking forward to sinking my teeth into something with a bit more meat, so I started Afterimage.
Played like 3 hours and really loving it so far and yes it looks absolutely gargantuan :O
I remember you saying the translation quality was quite poor outside of the main stuff? I assume you played it in English?
I started in English and came across a garbage item flavor text quite early on, so I had a crazy thought and switched to German and... it's significantly better :O
Been switching between English and German to get a feel for things and while the dialogue has been completely fine in English, pretty much all of the flavor text is various levels of garbage, but it's all been very consistently good in German (the only "wrong" thing I saw so far is that the Mastermage guy who is called "Ripe" in english, obviously alluding to his nature motive is called "Lipei" which is what I assume the literal transliteration of the sounds is and the translators didn't catch that it was supposed to sound like Ripe. Oh well, I'll take a few small misses like that if it means the rest is better.)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, I get that. It being a short no-nonsense experience is both a blessing and a curse in a way.

Definitely looking forward to sinking my teeth into something with a bit more meat, so I started Afterimage.
Played like 3 hours and really loving it so far and yes it looks absolutely gargantuan :O
I remember you saying the translation quality was quite poor outside of the main stuff? I assume you played it in English?
I started in English and came across a garbage item flavor text quite early on, so I had a crazy thought and switched to German and... it's significantly better :O
Been switching between English and German to get a feel for things and while the dialogue has been completely fine in English, pretty much all of the flavor text is various levels of garbage, but it's all been very consistently good in German (the only "wrong" thing I saw so far is that the Mastermage guy who is called "Ripe" in english, obviously alluding to his nature motive is called "Lipei" which is what I assume the literal transliteration of the sounds is and the translators didn't catch that it was supposed to sound like Ripe. Oh well, I'll take a few small misses like that if it means the rest is better.)
That's really interesting! The English item flavor text seemed to be basically machine-translated, and in my experience machine translation to German is obviously not better than to English. I wonder how this went during development. Perhaps its actually manually translated and they just had a more capable translator for German.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Same, I watched a streamer play Afterimage in French, and it didn't seem like gibberish.
So I'm holding out hope that it's an odd QA issue only in English. We will see, maybe soonish because Durante praises are interesting. But hey, I also have AstLibra and Laika to play :sweaty-blob:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Sony support is so bad I am surprised that nobody went and dragged them to court for multiple issues. It is baffling that they are that protected as basically close to market leader. It's not that market leade Nintendo is any better.

That is why I am saying that governments should focus on other things than stupid 30% cut and alternative stores. Those for the most part won'tbring that much good for the end customer.

But going after issues of digital ownership and customer support would help end user a lot.
Largely agree. I feel like store cut is a non-issue, as a store can charge what the owner thinks it's worth.

Competing stores (or at the very least forcing platforms to open up), I think, is important. It has benefits for consumers who want to have more control over their devices and install apps that the walled garden may ban. People keep saying they don't see any benefit to Apple being forced to allow sideloading, but easy emulation on iPhone and iPad is the first one that comes to mind.

But the real prize is as you said. Digital ownership and customer support are areas that we can see real improvements for the customers. We could have proper refunds enforced across the board, mitigations for when stores or DRMs break, and so on.

I think a good starting point for pro-consumer digital rights are:
  • open platform (aka sideloading in some fashion) as an option by default on all electronic devices with addressable IO (so pretty much any electronic product should allow for some sort of CFW or sideloading, including stuff we don't initially think of, like routers, consoles, TVs, smart home equipment and such)
  • mandatory refund windows
  • guaranteed digital ownership - if DRM is used, an up-to-date DRM-free version of the media/software must be provided to the supplier (aka the store) who will be legally obligated to replace the consumer's DRM'd version should the developer/publisher/store try to willingly or unwillingly deny ownership to the consumer
  • third party public bodies who can advocate for consumers and force companies to refund or compensate before it gets to court
Not sure how I feel about being able to sell games. We're getting into weird DRM or NFT territory with that and I don't think we should be making digital goods tangible, scarce or unique because that's just surrendering the digital space even further to predatory capitalism.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019

To this day as far as pure Customer Support goes the best experiences I have had were with Blizzard/Wow support tickets.
Once I was half drunk and transfered my character to another realm "by mistake", they actually refunded and reversed that (although I feel those instances are case by case and also very much up to the current operator that's assisting you)

Reactions: NarohDethan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

"※Nintendo Switch版ではゲーム内システム「感応霊泉」の内容・演出が、一部他プラットフォームとは異なります"

Seems Switch version will get differences from other editions. I suppose the other verions will get censorship.
I'm almost 100% sure the difference in content will be a rubbing game or something. The same stuff some games did on the PS Vita.

Censored

Oct 8, 2021
I'm almost 100% sure the difference in content will be a rubbing game or something. The same stuff some games did on the PS Vita.
Yep, I assume this will be the case with more fog on the other versions than on Switch, but I don't get why they don't release the same version on Switch and Steam, I don't think Valve give them issues taking in mind seems they laxed with ecchi content.

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
Anyone tried Floorp? It seems really fast browser. based on Firefox
Over 5000 contributors including Mozilla staff (it has mozilla sync so you can use it with firefox mobile)

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.