Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
The only good thing that are coming out of this Epic thing are the free games...
I'm enjoying Axiom Verge a ton.
... Added to Steam, playing with a Steam controller and having set X to auto fire instead of press to fire once via Steam Input.

Reactions: lashman

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
As for the birthday thread... at this point is probably best to do it here. I will probably ignore anyway because I'm old and cranky and birthdays remind me I'm only getting older and crankier.
well ok then ... i just hope no one will ever complain about it again :p haha
to late!
don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against a (one. 1.) happy birthday post. but the reality is after that happy birthday post follows a flood of happy birthday wishes from other users followed by a multiquote from the birthday celebrant with a "Thank you!" post, followed by a few late ones that want to wish happy birthday as well, followed by a "Thank you!" multiquote and then, if the gods hate me particularly fierce on that day another person has his birthday on the very same day and here comes the post "hey, what coincidence! we have the same birthday" and opens the flood gates.

There where times it was very very (very) bad on gaf. But that's just me and you can ignore me.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
to late!
don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against a (one. 1.) happy birthday post. but the reality is after that happy birthday post follows a flood of happy birthday wishes from other users followed by a multiquote from the birthday celebrant with a "Thank you!" post, followed by a few late ones that want to wish happy birthday as well, followed by a "Thank you!" multiquote and then, if the gods hate me particularly fierce on that day another person has his birthday on the very same day and here comes the post "hey, what coincidence! we have the same birthday" and opens the flood gates.

There where times it was very very (very) bad on gaf. But that's just me and you can ignore me.
i guess we'll see how it goes ... because it's either this ... or everyone just completely ignores the dedicated thread :( apparently there is no middle-ground

Reactions: xist

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
i guess we'll see how it goes ... because it's either this ... or everyone just completely ignores the dedicated thread :( apparently there is no middle-ground
Maybe a middle ground is having one weekly or monthly post in this main thread to cover the birthdays of that week/month? That way they’re not exiled to some forgotten thread, but they’re also not necessarily getting spammed every day in a row?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Maybe a middle ground is having one weekly or monthly post in this main thread to cover the birthdays of that week/month? That way they’re not exiled to some forgotten thread, but they’re also not necessarily getting spammed every day in a row?
there is really no way to check the birthday dates in advance (other than checking each profile manually, lol) :(

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Maybe it works if you just drop a link here to the birthday post in the birthday thread and people will go over there for the actual congratulations. Best of both worlds.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I finished:
-Unbox
And... that was a really nice 3d platformer? Sure, it's weird and quirky, you play as a sentient box, so you bounce around depending on the angle, gain speed rolling down... but it's pretty unique and quite responsive, at least. Also, very fast movement speed, always welcome when levels are that large.
It's pretty short but it has big, interesting levels with very nice design (even if it smells a bit like the Unreal store), it's not hard at all but the little challenges and the racing (why can you drive a car as a carboard box though?) give it some variety... and it's just a nice platformer to explore and muck around with.

A very good surprise, I like those very 90' platformers, but this one has a cool atmosphere, with lots of funny dialogue (that you are not forced to listen to letter by letter like some old games...) and a gameplay quite distinct from the others.

-Axiom Verge
Slightly meh.
Looks cool, amazing sound design... but offering tons of different weapons and classic Metroid-style upgrades is not really enough when the levels are pretty bland and linear with wayyy too many enemies to fight. In the late game, it's just painful.
And as much as backtracking is a classic in the genre, you don't reeeally know why and where you're supposed to go back, the "corruption" aspect of the gameplay is a cute throwback, but ultimately it's just pixels to destroy/change into a platform. A bit basic, especially for something like that. Anodyne was immensely more imaginative with allowing the player to modify its tile set.
It's a good Metroidvania, but it also has a lot of easily avoidable issues... and I saw many reviews putting it as something special and one of the best games in years... quite stumped about that. It's very by-the-book and never surprising.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
well, i mean ... like i said - epic probably promised them AT LEAST marketing in exchange for exclusivity ... maybe even some cash upfront ... so they can't

i understand why they did it (i can only imagine both Danger Zones not selling all that well haven't exactly put them in a great financial situation)

i don't like it ... but i can understand it
I was under the impression that was just the "We're only threatened by Steam" clause.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I have no idea why or how I own Crosscode (was it in a bundle?) but I played today for a couple of hours and I enjoyed my time with it. I only just completed the tutorials and reached the first hub but I liked the combat system and the puzzles a lot. If there's enough variety I can see myself having a very good time with the game.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I have no idea why or how I own Crosscode (was it in a bundle?) but I played today for a couple of hours and I enjoyed my time with it. I only just completed the tutorials and reached the first hub but I liked the combat system and the puzzles a lot. If there's enough variety I can see myself having a very good time with the game.
I think it was in Bundle Stars in like 2015.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I'm not saying MMOs are the best games that exist

But MMOs are the best games that exist. Why can no other service type games get the freedom and creativity that MMOs offer and do it correctly?

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Er, I really don't see what's the problem with ignoring people's birthdays. It's not like they don't happen every day, plus getting old sucks.

Also, speaking of things that suck, I bought Dark Souls 2 and 3 today, despite hating the first game. I suck too, as does my impulse control.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Fucking christ, an editor for a PC dedicated outlet can't figure out how to locate and copy save files

I wish I could say I'm not shocked but I am frankly astounded
I can't blame him for not being able to locate save files. There is no standard on where to store the save files. I always use Google to find the locations
It's not like editors are hackers or something, they are still human like you and me.

And also not even pcgamingwiki has all the answers

Reactions: lashman and Wok

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I can't blame him for not being able to locate save files. There is no standard on where to store the save files. I always use Google to find the locations
It's not like editors are hackers or something, they are still human like you and me.

Maybe, but it's certainly not a great look, and the answer in this case is already on PCGamingWiki, so again not a great look :confused:

EDIT: sorry, dp

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Pc Gamer editor who claims to like EGS starts a thread on Era to ask how to copy save files to another pc. Hilarious.
"Senior Writer for PCGamer doesn't know about PCGamingWiki".... sigh.... real life continues to make sites like The Onion have to work real hard to keep it up. And I'm torn between "hilarious" or "infuriating" to see one of the EGS defenders finding out that Steam has useful features after all.

On another subject: kind of impressed with the options for PC on Far Cry New Dawn. Benchmark, options for frame limiting, mouse acceleration and even an image of a keyboard with the used keys. But they *still* have the problem that if you change a keybind for the walking controls and it conflicts with something in the driving ones, that one gets erased too. Editing the file manually resolve the issue.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Pc Gamer editor who claims to like EGS starts a thread on Era to ask how to copy save files to another pc. Hilarious.
Seems like games journalism in a nutshell tbh. These people are clueless far too often for someone whose job it is to do gaming things right....

These days I just get all my gaming news filtered through Era/MC. It's probably like that for a lot of people.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I finished:
-Axiom Verge
Slightly meh.
Looks cool, amazing sound design... but offering tons of different weapons and classic Metroid-style upgrades is not really enough when the levels are pretty bland and linear with wayyy too many enemies to fight. In the late game, it's just painful.
And as much as backtracking is a classic in the genre, you don't reeeally know why and where you're supposed to go back, the "corruption" aspect of the gameplay is a cute throwback, but ultimately it's just pixels to destroy/change into a platform. A bit basic, especially for something like that. Anodyne was immensely more imaginative with allowing the player to modify its tile set.
It's a good Metroidvania, but it also has a lot of easily avoidable issues... and I saw many reviews putting it as something special and one of the best games in years... quite stumped about that. It's very by-the-book and never surprising.
I liked AV well enough but I think the praise that it got was because it was right as the metroidvania renaissance was starting on PC, it was very competent, and it was the most Metroid-like of all of them. It's definitely not one I would rush to replay compared to Hollow Knight, or Timespinners, or Symphony of the Night, or Dead Cells, or... a whole bunch, but it's good at what it is. I agree that the adherence to nostalgia hurts it in the long run.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Speaking of Dead Cells, this forums needs a macro that will switch that name automagically to Diarrhoea Christmas Lights
lashman

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
LOL that thread. Man if only the storefronts had systems for that... like Steam does.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Even if hardware reviews are their main forte, I find it hard to believe that a writer for PC Gamer is so utterly uninitiated that they never heard of PCGamingWiki. It's not like the wiki has just started publishing yesterday. Alternatively, googling for "Metro Exodus save file location" yielded at least two results originating from Steam Community forums. A set of results which I presume could possibly be found in Epic Support Forums, if only those forums actually exists.

:wd_happy:

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018

He has a cool hacker kid avatar though. Using search engines shouldn't be too hard for senior writer for blabla.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I am not defending the editor, but sometimes it's easier to ask than google :D
Even I ask other people when I know that I can use Google to find answer :ROFLMAO:
It is not easier, although it might seem easier. It is like making a new post on a forum instead of using the search bar and finding the answer in an older post. It takes more time to write the post (and then wait for an answer) than to look for the answer and read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.