Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Everything would seem to suggest that Fortniteโ€™s players would be hard to monetize.

But maybe theyโ€™ll surprise me. I dunno.
Without numbers is really hard to make any assumptions, but so far everything suggest that indeed that base is very hard to monetize, including the fact that they haven't even made any attempt to do so.

As a general rule since both Tim and Sergey like to run their mouths on Twitter, I'm always assuming the lack of information indicate unfavorable news for Epic.

Who else is staring at Twitter waiting for AJ to post his Anthem vid?
What, that would mean that I'm getting some enjoyment of all this Anthem drama. I would neeeeeeeeeeeeeever do that.... :whistle:
(hits F5 to refresh his twitter page)

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
As a general rule since both Tim and Sergey like to run their mouths on Twitter, I'm always assuming the lack of information indicate unfavorable news for Epic.
same ... it was so PAINFULLY obviously when Sergey, all gloating, posted that "we now have more active players than steam!" (or was it concurrent users?) tweet ... and when people asked him if those were the PC numbers - he said he couldn't tell, lmao

so yeah ... i think we can safely assume that if they aren't talking about how good any of that stuff is doing - it's probably not doing very well

i mean - you'd think they'd AT LEAST gloat about how many people downloaded any of those free games ... and yet - absolutely nothing, not a peep

Reactions: Digoman

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
i mean - you'd think they'd AT LEAST gloat about how many people downloaded any of those free games ... and yet - absolutely nothing, not a peep
Hmmm, I didn't think of that. All the people downloading and playing those games (heck, I'm one of them for Subnautica) should have made it easy to have some good numbers to gloat, including the important metrics like monthly active users for the store. Indeed it is pretty telling they didn't mention it anywhere.

Now, an very interesting number would be how much of the Fortnite playrbase did bother to even try the free games so far.

Reactions: lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
The loading bit at the beginning was indeed inspired.

That was a brutal review. Bioware appears to have really messed up the "loot" part of loot shooter... ouch.
I need someone, Schreier or NoClip or whoever, to get a post-mortem on this game someday.

I'm sure EA must have meddled with the game to some extent, and tried to include some of the more egregious GaaS stuff (the grind seems like it might be EA-management inspired maybe).

But as much as I hate EA, I agree with the thing that Joe says repeatedly in the review: "WHAT WERE YOU DOING FOR SIX YEARS?"

Even if EA was meddling, how did BioWare forget the loot part of a loot game?

I need to know what the disastrous process was that created this thing.

madjoki

๐Ÿ‘€ I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I find it impressive that Epic store support local pricing in "230 countries", yet they somehow manage to miss real countries like Norway:

Two months to add new currency, which apparently can't be done simultaneously for non dollar pricings (well charging in currency, since they display prices in local currency to maximize confusion when they get charged for currency conversion):

that sounds really slow to me. But then again banks usually are.

The data weโ€™re never going to get are:

1. platform split
  2. demographics
In terms of split, it seems like the console and mobile base is huge. And those users would theoretically be almost irrelevant in terms of conversion.

And in terms of demographics, there are all kinds of things Iโ€™d like to know.
  1. How many of their MAUs are Fortnite only gamers? This has to be a Dota, LoL, WoW type situation where a significant portion of the playerbase only regularly plays Fortnite right? The game is inherently designed to suck as much time from you as possible.
  2. What percent of their playerbase is actually regularly monetized? Whatโ€™s the breakdown of minnows, dolphins and whales? How many players have spent less than $20 (roughly the price of one cosmetic and a Battlepass that gets you enough currency to buy them indefinitely).
  3. Whatโ€™s the gender breakdown? Annecdotal evidence would be that itโ€™s heavily young male, but maybe that differs on more mobile platforms especially.
  4. Whatโ€™s the age breakdown? Specifically, how many accounts are used by someone under 18 (therefore under parental guidance and likely without their own credit card)? Anecdotal evidence again would suggest that number is exceptionally high in Fortnite. Iโ€™ve experienced squeakers in every online game, even โ€œmatureโ€ ones like Rainbow 6, but never to the extent that I have in Fortnite.
Everything would seem to suggest that Fortniteโ€™s players would be hard to monetize.

But maybe theyโ€™ll surprise me. I dunno.
Well there was this:

The Epic Games Store as described by Sergey Galyonkin (SteamSpy Creator, Currently At Epic) (Update: Sergey Clarifying Points on Twitter)

Now, according to Galyonkin, only half of Fortnite players have Steam installed, and of those that do have it installed, 60% don't actively use it.
So about 20% of PC Fortnite players use Steam actively.
I'd imagine biggest target audience of indie games on Epic Store now,
but it could be even less as some portion of those could still play on F2P games.

Galyonkin himself has said that F2P players are hard to convert.

Your target audience doesnโ€™t exist โ€“ Steam Spy

So probably until Fortnite dies, not many are going to convert and they might as well switch to another F2P as young generation (who is main audience of Fortnite), are used to games being free. I guess they may try, if it's free or they get it free

I'd imagine it be very hard to sell them $60 dollar AAA single player games.

Of course due to money hatting none of this matters, developers get their money if no one buys game.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
I find it impressive that Epic store support local pricing in "230 countries", yet they somehow manage to miss real countries like Norway:

Two months to add new currency, which apparently can't be done simultaneously for non dollar pricings (well charging in currency, since they display prices in local currency to maximize confusion when they get charged for currency conversion):
Swiss francs is also still missing. TBF steam only introduced CHF in 2015 so it took them long enough as well.

So probably until Fortnite dies, not many are going to convert and they might as well switch to another F2P as young generation (who is main audience of Fortnite), are used to games being free. I guess they may try, if it's free or they get it free
I'm not sure if Fortnite actually will die someday. You don't hear much about Minecraft, CS:GO these days but they're still kicking years later. BR games might be a different story though with so many new BR games releasing each year. Epic's goal is just to draw new users to their store with the free games and exclusives.

Epic started 2019 with almost 50% less revenue than in december. Granted december is the best month in the year for microtransactions but still.
SuperData Research | Games data and market research ยป Worldwide digital games market: January 2019

And now with the release and success of Apex I'm sure they're feeling the heat. It will be interesting to see if they will stop the moneyhatting once the Fortnite mullah stops rolling in.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
And now with the release and success of Apex I'm sure they're feeling the heat.
they sure are ... desperately buying google ads to show fortnite ads above search results for "apex legends" ... and stealing features yet again (they're "thinking" about adding respawns and pings to fortnite ... i woooonder where they got that idea from :unsure:)

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
And now with the release and success of Apex I'm sure they're feeling the heat. It will be interesting to see if they will stop the moneyhatting once the Fortnite mullah stops rolling in.
Even without Fortnite, they still have Tencent's support.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Anyone got suggestions to get rid of this white fog in Murdered SS? I want to use SweetFX or ReShade but I tend to apply AA via Nvidia Inspector so I don't want either of the two to inject anything outside of getting rid of some effects or improving colours.

EDIT wait seems it resolved itself weird.
Post automatically merged:

I'm confused about something. I want to apply SSGSS anti aliasing in W40K Space Marine but this guide is confusing. Could someone tke a screenshot of what settings should look like in NVidia Inspector with anti aliasing compatibility set to 0x004112C1
3DCenter Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Antialiasing - Kompatibilitรคtsbits - Sammelthread

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I need to know what the disastrous process was that created this thing.
I also want to learn more about it. A lot of people are speculating that the game did suffer at least one reboot, so it wouldn't surprise me if in the end we have a very similar history as Andromeda, where the developers spent years and years trying to implement grandiose but impractical ideas before having an "oh shit" moment and rushing to cobble something together with the few functional systems (like the flying). Only this time it wasn't a game genre they had any experience with or could simply copy the mold from a previous game like Andromeda did from Inquisition.

they sure are ... desperately buying google ads to show fortnite ads above search results for "apex legends" ... and stealing features yet again (they're "thinking" about adding respawns and pings to fortnite ... i woooonder where they got that idea from :unsure:)
It is interesting they appear to be threatened even though Apex isn't even on mobile, but if there was one thing Epic does well is to react to these things (and copy them). Fortnite BW was born this way, and so far the Epic Store is also just catching up and copying other stores features.

But I can't really blame for copying the ping system, Now that Apex has really nailed it (I swear I remember seeing that somewhere else first - besides Dota) I expect to be copied *everywhere*.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It is interesting they appear to be threatened even though Apex isn't even on mobile, but if there was one thing Epic does well is to react to these things (and copy them). Fortnite BW was born this way, and so far the Epic Store is also just catching up and copying other stores features.

But I can't really blame for copying the ping system, Now that Apex has really nailed it (I swear I remember seeing that somewhere else first - besides Dota) I expect to be copied *everywhere*.
well i guess it worked out for them when they did it the first time around (ripping off PUBES) ... so they might as well do it again

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Portal 2 has some kind of Ping System. Wouldn't be surprised if Apex Legends one was based on that.
yup ... it's funny how people forgot just how GOOD Portal's ping system is
Ahh, thats the one I was remembering, thanks. After refreshing my memory with some videos, yeah... that was *very* useful for the coop puzzles. A very clever solution to avoid the endless discussions of "where do you want me to place to portal?". Strange that was not used more often since then, nut given the popularity of Apex that's probably going to change now.

Reactions: RionaaM and lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

If we want to talk about โ€œcOMpETitIon,โ€ Apexโ€™s arrival seems to have lit something of a fire under Epic.

The game has had increasing complaints for the past two-ish seasons about the annoying meta and lack of meaningful competitive options for play. I donโ€™t know how many people itโ€™s driven away, but I know the lack of a ranked system made me lose a lot of interest since people have gotten too good for me. Whereas Apex seems to be primed to add a Ranked mode only a month or so after release, and had its own good โ€œideasโ€ like the ping and red pawn system.

Funny how their biggest competitor is competing in FEATURES AND IDEAS instead of anti-consumer maneuvers.

Deleted member 113

I don't know if everyone saw it already, but this week the Adventure Gamers website (in cooperation with Gamewalker) had their 2018 Aggie Awards (for adventure games).
They made a few slick looking videos, that highlight how 2018 was truly a great year for the genre, with some really awesome games seeing the light of day.
It's worth a watch.

And here's the text version, that goes a bit more into detail about each of the nominees:

The Aggie Awards โ€“ The Best Adventure Games of 2018 | Adventure Gamers

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
How well does Murdered soul suspect hold up Tizoc? I have such fond memories of it but haven't replayed it since that first time.
I haven't played through it yet :V I wanted to test NVidia Inspector SSGSS on it with positive results but it's gonna be lingering on my HDD for a while before I decide to play it :X

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
You could ping the map in Dawn Of War back in 2004.
It's not some new thing.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's also not very different to Battlefield's "enemy/vehicle/whatever spotted" report which they enhanced with each sequel (after 2 introduced it?). Or other games where one teammate seeing something makes it visible through walls for you as well. It's a nice system though. Not that I think every such game should have it, I don't think it would work for PUBG's semi-realistic take on the BR thing for example. It fits in Apex which is more Hero Shooter like within BR constraints and Overwatch also has skills and such that let teammates benefit from what you do/see itself so you can say it borrowed from that as well. I think earlier Monster Hunter games also let you ping the area you were in for teammates to see it on the mini map and follow, but I'm not sure which introduced it.

I don't know if Apex will have longevity though, there are legitimate concerns about its flow of play and how the smaller maps and everything being fast & immediate means you can feel punished for getting into battles rather than waiting it out as any firefight will be easy to spot for everyone in a chain effect of reports and if you're left in a weakened state the next guys will simply get you no matter what if on equal skill footing for example. Stuff like that, I dunno.

I'm not very into PVP though I dabble some times, just going by what I heard. I'm waiting for the next Titanfall 2 esque campaign from the devs to care :p

Last edited:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
It's also not very different to Battlefield's "enemy/vehicle/whatever spotted" report which they enhanced with each sequel (after 2 introduced it?). Or other games where one teammate seeing something makes it visible through walls for you as well. It's a nice system though. Not that I think every such game should have it, I don't think it would work for PUBG's semi-realistic take on the BR thing for example. It fits in Apex which is more Hero Shooter like within BR constraints and Overwatch also has skills and such that let teammates benefit from what you do/see itself so you can say it borrowed from that as well. I think earlier Monster Hunter games also let you ping the area you were in for teammates to see it on the mini map and follow, but I'm not sure which introduced it.

I don't know if Apex will have longevity though, there are legitimate concerns about its flow of play and how the smaller maps and everything being fast & immediate means you can feel punished for getting into battles rather than waiting it out as any firefight will be easy to spot for everyone in a chain effect of reports and if you're left in a weakened state the next guys will simply get you no matter what if on equal skill footing for example. Stuff like that, I dunno.

I'm not very into PVP though I dabble some times, just going by what I heard. I'm waiting for the next Titanfall 2 esque campaign from the devs to care :p
This is pretty much inherent to any BR game though :blobevening:

In Fortnite, you are almost unquestionably better off quickly finding a good gun, grabbing some shields and hiding in a bush for half the match than actually ever engaging other players. Literally my only solo Victory Royale happened like this:
  • I land in a tree in Wailing Woods, thinking I'd just idle there to farm XP for the Battle Pass.
  • End up thinking I should just play the round for the hell of it, right as the storm circle starts to move in.
  • Find a blue AR
  • Shoot one dude, take his mats, guns and health items.
  • Run clear across the map past Tilted Towers for the next 5-10 minutes, never seeing anyone, while everyone else kills each other.
  • Get to the hills behind Tilted, took so long to get there, there's literally only five other people left.
  • Take some potshots at one person's building on a hill
  • Run up and around the side of the other hill, shoot my second kill with my AR, blast a third with a shotgun.
  • By now there's only one dude left on the other hill.
  • I flank around his hill, blow up his building, he falls, I pump him in the head. The end.
So all told, I spent a considerable amount of time in a tree and running across the map to the final zone, and only killed four people. There have been solo (and squad) games where I've killed maybe double that amount, but not even gotten close to getting a win.

Same thing happened in my only squad Victory Royale. We only killed (between all four of us), like five or six players. Two we killed early on, the latter three were the final kills of the game. I watched the replay afterwards, and it just weirdly happened that we took a route around the map that somehow avoided all the other players (except for the two buddies we killed) until the very end of the game.

ANYWAYS, this was all a very long-winded way to get back to Apex. Even though it has a small map, it feels like it's actually at least a little bit less punishing to get into fights because of the respawn system. The very nature of BR still makes it beneficial to avoid fighting when you can, but the respawn system changes the calculus a bit.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
But if you do happen to get in a fight it's not necessarily the case that everybody else will be able to locate that given the size of the maps in PUBG, at least initially, you also have more leeway to drop somewhere where you're hopefully within larger distance to others and have a chance to find some items before getting in the thick of it. Apex seems much more compact and you have much faster mobility too making it seem even smaller. Idk, like I said, not too much into.

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
The innovation with Apex's ping system is that it's context based and you can ping everything. The most common use is pinging spots on the map, enemies, and stuff on the ground, but it can also be used for pinging stuff in your inventory to tell team mates you need ammo or weapon parts or whatever. In Battlefield it's used for pinging enemies. In classic RTS it's used for pinging spots and buildings on the map. I believe Brink had a similar pinging system. DOTA 2 has a very versatile system where you can ping pretty much everything and convey context based information, like cooldowns, being out of mana, what you're missing in the item build, gold etc.

Other games have had systems like this in the past, but now that Apex popularized it, context based pinging systems are probably gonna show up in most new multiplayer games.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yelling for medics and ammo and such stuff was common too though (edit: googling this, BF1942 had those hotkeys in 2002, since Bad Company 2 at least on console you could also look at a friendly medic, assault, whatever and press the same as the "x spotted" key to call for their role's need, for health, ammo, repairs or whatever, that's a lot like the Ping in Apex after all, I'm not sure if that has remained in all BF games since), it just wasn't always part of a unified system (on PC you can still set specific ping hotkeys in Apex instead of aim at them and press the general ping which emulates those functions). I think you could also say stuff like "ammo here" (or weapon or medkit) in L4D 1 or 2 when you found them on the map? I see Apex's Ping as an iteration that may or may not work for a game rather than an evolution that needs to become widespread. PUBG doesn't even want to give out information beyond teammate positions for example, leaving much of the rest up to communication (last I played). Tactical games like ARMA want even less gamey info etc. It always depends on many things.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Devil Engine is awesome!

There's a lot of shmups on Steam, and I enjoy most of them, but I'm seriously impressed so far with this one.
Many games try to use a retro look, but this one looks like the real deal. The screenshots on the Steam store don't fully translate how great this game looks in motion, and how awesome the animations (explosions, enemies, ...) are.
Also, for once, it's nice to have a new classic, non-bullet hell, shmup.

There's a demo available, if anyone wants to give it a try.

Here's a gameplay video from an older demo:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Funny how their biggest competitor is competing in FEATURES AND IDEAS instead of anti-consumer maneuvers.
What... you are saying that a good product with smart marketing can be successful in a field that has one or two very dominant players? Surely you must be joking :) ... Tim said that the only way to compete is by buying exclusives!

It remains to be seen if Apex is going to stay popular, but it has already shown that you can "get the foot in the door" without those kind of tactics.

Other games have had systems like this in the past, but now that Apex popularized it, context based pinging systems are probably gonna show up in most new multiplayer games.
In the end that what's going to matter. Valve in particular seems to have used in several games like Portal 2, Left 4 Dead and Dota 2 (that's not a FPS but it is very versatile there) but if Apex remains popular we will probably just read "The Apex ping system" everywhere. And that's fine because it appears to be a very good implementation and it will be very useful in other games.

Devil Engine is awesome!
Shmups aren't usually my thing but this does look good. Going to try the demo.

Pleasantly surprised that The Council story is really good. doing a great job of having you try and solve the mystery
Stop reminding me of games that I need to buy .... (check Steam Library)... ok, it already is on my backlog. Nevermind....

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Devil Engine is awesome!

There's a lot of shmups on Steam, and I enjoy most of them, but I'm seriously impressed so far with this one.
Many games try to use a retro look, but this one looks like the real deal. The screenshots on the Steam store don't fully translate how great this game looks in motion, and how awesome the animations (explosions, enemies, ...) are.
Also, for once, it's nice to have a new classic, non-bullet hell, shmup.

There's a demo available, if anyone wants to give it a try.
The art style reminded me of Steredenn. Another good shmup with procedural level generation

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

ใ€ŒEchoใ€

็ซœใฎ้ญ”ๅฅณใ€‚
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
The next AssCreed is supposedly set in Rome. Again.

So for me, that's a safe skip. Sorry Ubi. I'm kinda tired of Europe at this point, but especially all this ancient Greek/Rome blah blah. Wouldn't mind seeing medieval Germany or Jeanne d'Arc France though.

Really I want AssCreed in Meiji or fedual Japan, Warring States or later China, and how about Russia around the time of Rasputin? Then I'll come back to the series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.